How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

21-03-2013
tfs star

^I try to avoid shoulder padding because it makes it look like the blazer is wearing me not the other way around, if you get what I mean. I could do very light padding, but it is an issue if I can't return the item without significant costs. The outnet needs you to pay for taxes/fees if you return from outside the EU

I did once remove the padding from a blazer Disaster. The sleeves became super long!

21-03-2013
Power to the 99%

hooks on the wall for the bags could be nice ... or for clutches, a little shelf like they make for displaying porcelain. i find that twee, but for bags i bet it would be cute

hey, whatever works for you. in my case, i don't think it would be long before i no longer had a bag storage 'problem' my dogs are pretty good, but i don't like to put temptation in their way. one has eaten a suede shoe ornament, and another has chewed various temporary flipflops from when i get a pedicure--yum yum :p

I think i mentioned before that i keep my shoes in a tower of clear hard plastic men's shoe boxes from the Container Store.

21-03-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
First of all, thank heavens my post wasn't erased I accidentally left the page before I hit submit reply... Phew...

Of course, and you are all invited

It got a mystic dark stain on the front that would go away I doubt a cleaner would be able to do much about it (it has probably been there since pre-september...), and frankly I'd rather find myself a jacket that will be worth taking to the cleaner Like I mentioned, the quality of the jacket was only so and so, it was my tailor who made it a nice jacket.

I did find some nice ones at theoutnets clearance sale, (I pinned one on my Wishlist tfs board(http://pinterest.com/eizhowa/wishlist-tfs/)) but it said "shoulder pads" in both the descriptions and that scared me away. I have very delicate shoulders and shoulder-pads look ridiculous on me

I am not sure what material to look for. Do any of you have any experience with fabrics and which ones are easier to maintain? My previous one had a very smooth surface, which I think made the stain more obvious (even though it was tiny!). It is so cold here I could probably do a thin wool, but also linens/cottons/silk-blends.

I don't really care if it wrinkles, because I just hang my clothes in the shower the night before and let the steam do the work

I think I will try to keep the price below 200USD/EURO before tax. White clothes are too much of a risk to spend a fortune

Betina: I would love to have my clothes hanging on a rack like that. Makes it easier to see what your color scheme is/what you are working with. My wardrobe is so dark, but I haven't the Floorspace to do what you have done. But some day...
well, since you're trying to keep costs down and you already have tailoring costs in it, maybe it would be worth it to take it to the cleaners.

alternatively, what about a flax color instead of white? I used to have a summer jacket, unlined natural linen, that I wore with everything whenever it was a bit chilly. that was back when i ironed :p

21-03-2013
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
^I try to avoid shoulder padding because it makes it look like the blazer is wearing me not the other way around, if you get what I mean. I could do very light padding, but it is an issue if I can't return the item without significant costs. The outnet needs you to pay for taxes/fees if you return from outside the EU

I did once remove the padding from a blazer Disaster. The sleeves became super long!
I removed the shoulderpads from my blazer, and it actually turned out perfect. It only cost me $ 6,9 so it was not much of a risk if it went wrong.

- Coco Chanel

21-03-2013
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
hooks on the wall for the bags could be nice ... or for clutches, a little shelf like they make for displaying porcelain. i find that twee, but for bags i bet it would be cute

hey, whatever works for you. in my case, i don't think it would be long before i no longer had a bag storage 'problem' my dogs are pretty good, but i don't like to put temptation in their way. one has eaten a suede shoe ornament, and another has chewed various temporary flipflops from when i get a pedicure--yum yum :p

I think i mentioned before that i keep my shoes in a tower of clear hard plastic men's shoe boxes from the Container Store.
My cat likes to sleep in my bags. If they are to small to fit her or not open, then she will sleep on top op them

Though she loves to play with the tassles from my Bal Day. So I have learned to put those inside the bag when I have a sleepover at my parents :p

- Coco Chanel

21-03-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post

Does anyone have suggestions on what I should focus on purchasing first? It's kind of a long list but I've noticed a lot of holes in my wardrobe that need to be filled.
my first thoughts on seeing your list:

skirt: you'd like a skirt that goes to the knee..i would suggest a pencil skirt. jcrew makes a wide variety of them. their top selling style is the " no 2 pencil skirt". it comes in virgin wool and also other materials.

desert boot: clarks desert boots are pretty famous. but are they too clunky? and can you only wear them with only pants or jeans?

summer sandal: a lot of sandals hurt my feet. is it the same for you? (i cant wear flat thong sandals)

button down shirt: are you looking for a soft chambray shirt or one of those button downs for the office? should it be no iron?

sunglasses: i would suggest visiting an optical shop and taking note of the style numbers on the sides of the glasses. when you get home google the numbers - you should be able to find the lowest priced glasses.

21-03-2013
trendsetter

Eizhowa, I didn't notice any blazer without the pads in stores, I suppose that would make it formless. It has to be at least a thin one to have structure, but it you don't like that, you could go for a jacket instead? I prefer blazers and the sharpness of them myself.
That rag & bone one looks really cool.

Ta-ta, so glad the pants will be a keeper!

Juliette, so sorry, I undestand what you're taking about, but am sure that another option will appear sooner or later. Just don't give up and be all miserable for too long.

I received a delightful package of COS goods today, I really am satisfied with both items, they never let me down with the superior quality.
Love the black layered skirt, it's very flattering, flowy and transparent just right not to show anything unwanted. It's a tiny bit wide at the waist edge band if I don't have anything tucked into it (but I will going to wear it with a tee/shirt in it), but so are all the other skirts, because of my narrow waist. Doesn't bother me really, I got used to it.
And a striped tee is of super soft pima cotton, it's so lovely.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 65392e83da0e0519c8c7cdfabaf36a53.jpg (114.2 KB, 0 views)

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

21-03-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
summer sandal: a lot of sandals hurt my feet. is it the same for you? (i cant wear flat thong sandals)
Not just sandals (but especially those), every new shoes hurt my feet, I always get blisters. Even the old worned ones, if I walk a lot in them (traveling etc.).
I really hate my feet are so sensitive.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

21-03-2013
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post

button down shirt: are you looking for a soft chambray shirt or one of those button downs for the office? should it be no iron?
Just wanted to say thinks for the warm welcome! And you, ta-ta, and Betinapple have given me a lot of advice to mull over. A few things were pointed out that I hadn't thought about before.

I can sew a bit (as well as having a mom who's a quilter and quite handy with a sewing machine) so making my own skirt isn't a bad idea. I've made one before and it's actually in the style I was looking for (but it has a floral pattern which I love but can't wear with a lot of my wardrobe), I still have the pattern at home. The only issue is that since I'm away right now I won't have access to make a skirt until this summer. So I think if I chance upon a skirt while thifting that's perfect then I'll purchase it. Otherwise I'm not going to worry about that item too much and just make my own when I'm home.

Also, the one thing I most certainly will not be buying vintage or second hand is shoes. The idea of wearing other people's shoes makes me feel ill. Plus I have really terrible feet so I have to invest in good shoes (typically ones that I can slip my orthotics into). And Lucy92, I can't wear flat thong shoes either! I never have been able to, they hurt a ridiculous amount. I don't know how people do it. I've sadly never really been able to wear high heels either.

I'm looking for a button down shirt that's sort soft and relaxed looking, nothing too starched. Wrinkle free, and in a white color, would be ideal as well. I'm going to try and go to the shops when I'm back home for a few days next week and start seeing what's out there (I've already been scoping the internet for the right items).

Quote:
Fashionista-ta: just remember that if alll else fails, this is a very eco-friendly approach, even if you need to buy an item that may not have any other redeeming features, your approach to it will.
Reading this advice has actually helped a lot. It's reassured me about this whole thing, it does seem like a pretty eco-friendly approach.

Oh, I forgot to ask, do people typically count jewelry as one of the items? I know accessories like purses counted but I wasn't sure about jewelry. Or is it more of a personal preference?

Last edited by YoninahAliza; 21-03-2013 at 07:28 PM.

21-03-2013
Power to the 99%

^ Costume I don't; fine jewelry I usually do

A white shirt may be a good thing to look for fair trade as that may be challenging in vintage. Anything is possible though. Some women here who don't have money of their own but do have credit cards for unlimited shopping buy two of everything and sell one with tags on to the consignment shop. Voila, cash

21-03-2013
Power to the 99%

Just wanted to add ... I used to be a member of Co-op America (green organization), and I remember reading a piece from them about having a 'green' wardrobe ... the very first thing it mentioned was to buy a few well-chosen, quality pieces, what you really need, and wear them to death Of course I already know very well that's the right thing to do, but I found it validating that it was the very first thing they said, not hunt the world over for organic cotton, hemp, etc. I do buy eco-friendly fabrics whenever I can, but I don't feel bad when they're not available. I know that no one is going to get more out of that fabric than I will. First I'll wear it. Then I'll layer it. Then I'll demote it to loungewear. Then I'll make cleaning rags out of it.

I feel good about my approach ... I do pretty much everything I can, and I'm certainly not going to feel guilty about the rest. I think it's very fair to say that we all take a lot of pleasure in our purchases here

I know a few people who seem to feel guilty about a lot of things, and I think their energy goes into that, rather than actually doing or changing anything for the better

22-03-2013
front row

I'd like to know what you girls' stances on replacements and stocking on basics are. I finished cleaning my closet and:
1) my white button up was very old (had had it since 2006) and didn't fit my chest anymore, so I don't have a long sleeve white button up anymore. This is not a "everyone says you should have one item, so I should have one too" for me; I really like button ups and they're a staple for me (I unfortunately got rid of some due to chest issues).
2) I realized I don't have white tees, don't ask me why - I just don't and I don't think I ever did.

So, how would you (personally) feel if you were to replace an item and buy a couple of basics? Do you even count those? I'm considering buying in the near future:
- two white tees
- a white button up
- a black longline cami (I've had it on my pinterest wishlist for a while now)
- a black belt (needing one because my current belt is taupe and won't work with black trousers/jeans)

I have two tees in mind (one of them is like the same model as the black one from Zara that Juliette liked so much. Hope you're still reading this thread ), none of them expensive. The cami and the belt aren't expensive either.
I don't have any button up in mind, and that might wait a while.

I just received a nice ammount of money from some previous work and my translations. I definitely don't plan on spending it all, as I need to buy new underwear (damn shifting bra sizes and loosening bands...), to save up for a possible trip in May, and to move 300km away hopefully not long from now, so I'm in total control. I might not even buy anything for a while. Apart from this there's not a lot I really need/have the money for (despite a bag - I've been looking at Etsy too, thank you for that suggestion ).

22-03-2013
front row

barbaraaa: I don't really count items, and I don't know if I would count such basic basics if I did - but they all sound like items that will make your wardrobe work a lot better if you do get them. I like a taupe belt with black trousers, though

Yoninahaliza: welcome!

such a lot to catch up on and write about, but I am pretty sleepy at the moment tomorrow!

22-03-2013
front row

I don't think the belt looks all that bad with black trousers - just a black one would look sleeker in a lot of looks, I think.

23-03-2013
trendsetter

@Barbaraa: Do you need tees? I do not have any neither since I feel weird-looking wearing them. Just consider why you do not have any before you buy some The button up should definetely be replaced at some point. Sounds like you're in a good place. I do not count staples such as basic tops but I think I would count the shirt. The only thing I have had to replace since I started doing 5pfw is my black ballet flats and those I have counted. I have never been below 15 items for a season yet though. For me it is not so much about the number as it is about the mentality. I would like to buy fewe items this season though.

Tata: Luckily I do not have dogs yet. Once I get a puppy or (panic!) a baby I might have to rethink the bag storaging. For now I think it is fine. The bags on the floor does not go out of shape from standing there. My bays would and therefore is on a hook. But I do not have space for adding hooks for the other bags, and my cluthes is in a box. I think the would get too dusty being on a shelf since I do not use them that much.

Thx for all your advice. I think I have a few tools to do something about the issue now. I am still contemplating taking some of the clothes to the attic though. Just to see how it would make me feel. I have always taken some piece of the racks that I do not see myself wearing any time soon.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe