How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

23-03-2013
front row

The reason why I don't have any is that white tees get dirty and old easily... I'm clumsy so I never replaced those I threw out and for those reasons I'm usually drawn to dark colours. I'm clumsy and lazy I might buy one to see how that goes and if it helps my wardrobe's cohesion (and if I can behave, haha), it's definitely something I can get for cheap and that won't be too regrettable.

23-03-2013
front row

betinapple: I actually like the way those clothing racks look, your wardrobe-colourscheme looks very cohesive. but I can certainly understand the need for (even) more minimalistic clothing storage... I like the idea of hooks on the wall to hang your handbags on.

Yoninaheliza: my wardrobe is mainly thrifted as well, or from eBay (or versions of eBay), with the addition of the occasional New item. it can most certainly be done!
I'm going to re-read your initial post and see if I have some more tips for you, to add to what others have already shared. about a wardrobe that is as green as possible, Ta-Ta made some great points already. I read in a magazine last year (sorry, can't remember what magazine it was, I read it at a friend's house) that when you want to be as eco-friendly as possible, taking a look at the way you do your laundry is actually the biggest thing you can do. letting your laundry air-dry instead of using a dryer is a gigantic step (and one I wanted to take anyway, we never had a dryer growing up, and I never had one until I moved to a small-ish house with not a lot of room to hang out the laundry. we have a washer/dryer, and the lint that accumulates drives me nuts. so now it's just laundry on a rack in the living room, which I can live with for the day a week that it's there), as is lowering the temperature at which you do laundry.

barbaraaa: I took a look at your pinterest and have some ideas re: the stuff you have on your 'I don't know what to wear this with' board. I'm not on pinterest myself, would it be too 'off topic' to just write down some ideas here in this thread?

me: I found my spring coat! I settled on this one, by A.P.C. it looks a little boring in the pictures, but the texture of the fabric is fabulous - not too rigid, not too floppy, and the cut is just great. I imagined getting a coat with more emphasis on the waist, but this coat is unexpectedly flattering. it feels very modern, and I know I'll love it for years to come. while I was at it, I also got a winter coat! I had noticed my beloved (thrifted) winter coat getting a little thin, and I made a mental note to get another winter coat in the fall, to be able to alternate and give my thrifted coat a longer life. and there it was, a beautiful vanessa bruno coat (the pictures on that site really do not do it justice!), 60% off. an impulse buy, but a good impulse buy
what's left on my wishlist for spring/summer now are two pairs of shoes: a good & comfy shoe for being comfortable, taking long walks, and not looking like a fool (as I do in most sneakers) while doing so - I'm thinking clark's desert boots in 'sand' at the moment - and also summer sandals with a little platform wedge, nothing too high. also, a good summer scarf to go with my new coat. and I could use some summer dresses, and I plan on sewing some myself, and/or see what I can find at the thriftstore.

23-03-2013
front row

(oops, 3x 'and' in that last sentence )

23-03-2013
tfs star

Twistelette: Well, you have a lot to say

I don't think Pinetrest is off-topic. In this thread we just use it as an easier method to share pictures. Can you imagine how crammed this thread would be if we posted all of our wardrobe pics here?

Walking shoes: I have all my life tried to convince people that I am not uncomfortable walking in non-sneaker shoes I live in a very "sporty" envioroment and there are a lot of sneaker-type walking shoes around. I would feel very self-conscious in a pair... When something "sporty" happens I just run in the opposite direction (running is good exercise though:innocent).

Congrats on your coats! I have been dying to visit an APC store and get a feel of the clothes, and I love love love Vanessa Bruno.

Last edited by eizhowa; 23-03-2013 at 04:24 PM.

23-03-2013
front row

so i started buying/ordering my items for spring

- black leather jacket - hope it fits me when it arrives/i won't be disappointed by it

source: asos.com
- green square neck dress

source: asos.com
- basic nude flats / black suede flats

i'm still searching for
- a perfect beige/cream knit jumper similar to the american apparel fishermans jumper (can't decide if it is too bulky or not...)
- perfect black skinny jeans

23-03-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
- perfect black skinny jeans
I found out that mine really needs replacing, but most likely I will not buy another pair soon, because they're not on my list :p and I have a pair of black coated ones and another PU leather skinny pants which serves me as basic black ones (I'm wearing leather a LOT).
The last reasons is that I really need to wear skirts and dresses more often, because I never wear any in winter and even last spring I didn't. I almost became pants girl over skirt girl I was once not so long ago.
Not to mention I only have one single pair that's long enough for me, so I'm constantly sporting 'ankle length pants trend'.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

24-03-2013
front row

jinadaze i'm going back and forth about buying them too... because i probably won't wear them as much as i would in autumn/winter...
as soon as it gets warmer i tend to wear dresses/skirts a lot too...
but i just have 1 pair that is really washed-out in ankle length and i destroyed my old coated black jeans

if i find my perfect pair i'll buy them, finding jeans always takes a long time...
probably more of a WANT item than a NEED one..

24-03-2013
front row

So much to catch up

Warm welcome to Laquerlover and YoninahAliza, blackcoffee and MissTrine

Ta-ta, great to hear that your pants fit perfectly. Your top is gorgeous, love the colour and those kind of necklines

barbara: your pinterest was worth the wait I really like it And I definitely agree about this thread giving perspective and the help we provide each other. It really is a great thread to join As for the bag, I would recommend etsy as well. I delayed buying my Fendi bag to spend a bit more time building a "solid" wardrobe and replenishing my basics. I will start looking over there for a plain black leather shopper or tote.

Juliette: sending you warm hugs. I am sorry for your job Really hope you will be able to find something that you love as much very soon
As for looking at things you can't buy, I am in the same boat. It's actually very interesting for me because I realise that things I really did love a couple of days/weeks ago are not really that appealing anymore..

Betina, I feel for you ! I have the same issue so I just cleaned out my closet again and took all my dresses/non-weather appropriate items out. I also did clean my basic (or better, realised I did not have many..), and my underwear as well. I used to fold some of my clothes but now I am going to start hanging everything. It's so much easier to have an overview of my closet and get dressed in the morning!

Eisowha: sorry for the white blazer I would be quite lost without mine. It is still going through so no need to worry for now. I own a mango white blazer..I think they are ok for the price and hold up well..

Twistelette: I love your coats

24-03-2013
front row

Thank you Eva

twistelette, I think it would be on-topic... I mean, we're using Pinterest as an extension of this thread - and isn't this thread about making the most out of a more "limited" (in number of pieces, of course) wardrobe? I'd definitely appreciate your advice either way, so if you feel it might be off-topic, please PM me

24-03-2013
fashion icon

Twistelette: Laundry is definitely a killer, some ways of doing laundry are so bad for the environment. But like you, I tend to hang most of my clothes to dry rather then putting them in the dryer. I swear, my portable drying rack is my favorite thing I brought to college! Anyways a lot of my clothes can't be put in the dryer because they would be ruined.

My birthday was last week and I just received these gifts. While they weren't things that I had thought to include on my list I am quite grateful for them anyways. Especially for the watch, I had been wanting one which was more grown-up feeling and my auntie picked out the perfect one for me! The earrings were made by a family friend who is a jeweler (who remembered that turquoise is my color), the watch is Skagen Denmark, and the scarf is from Nordstrom (but I'm not sure of the brand). I think they will all make nice additions to my wardrobe, especially with spring just around the corner. I don't think it's really breaking the "rules" if they are gifts from other people, right?

miss-rumphius.tumblr.com

25-03-2013
trendsetter

@Twistelette: I am glad you find my colorscheme cohesive. I really need to be working on that since I just buy whatever I like in regards of colors. i Mostly buy black though and therefore almost everything go together. I have pulled a few pieces of the rack but I still feel like doing something more. Like removing all the coloured stuff - but I wont do that

So great that you are covered in the coats area now.They both look really nice and classic.

@Blackcoffee: great stuff. Really like the color of the dress. Are the nude ballet flats patent? If so, do share! I am searching for some.

@Eva:
I always found it a bit foolish to pack away you summer clothes in the winter and vice versa but I can see it making sense now. I wear the same clothes most of the year though, so that might now be the solution.

Me: I am at a good place where I do not feel that I need anything and therefore do not feel like shopping. That always happens when I have had a spending spree. I am giving the ACNE track boots some serious consideration and will go try them on tomorrow.

25-03-2013
front row

Yoninahaliza: that's a beautiful watch, and it seems really fitting with your style. what a thoughtful gift.

Barbaraaa: so, about your 'idk' pinterest board
- the brown h&m jacket: can you dye it to a colour you might get more use out of?
- sentimental value jacket: I actually like this a lot, and it seems to fit pretty well with the rest of your wardrobe. it strikes a nice clean modern note. perhaps with your vero moda lbd?
- tunics you used to wear with leggings: if they are 'intuckable', I definitely see a new life for these pieces. the red and black striped one made me think of this sartorialst post. a lot of these tunics might be nice with black skinny jeans/trousers and a jacket over them?
- hooded purple top: what ta-ta said
- I also agree with ta-ta that not every colour is for everyone, and that there is no shame in that. I do think those brown sandals could go with a lot of stuff - and that that clothing needn't be brown as well maybe darken them a shade with shoe-polish?

25-03-2013
front row

^ about the tunics, I think they could look nice tucked into a slim skirt or trousers/jeans, for a nice blouse-y effect.

25-03-2013
front row

Thank you so much, twistelette! I do think a lot of the tunics could work tucked in, or with black skinny jeans/trousers, I just wanted a second opinion on those.
The sentimental value jacket probably needs to be redyed if I'm to wear it again - I've had it since I was 15, and the black is fading. But I do like it a lot, too. Not only aesthetically, but it played a big part on how I met my boyfriend
Brown is definitely not for me (you all could probably tell I'm more into black, gray, etc). While I can see the shoes working with jeans and white tops, I might just give the brown jacket to my mother or my sister if I see that I can't get around it.

Once again thank you, and thanks to everyone who's been helping me

I, btw, recently ordered a black belt and the black cami. I don't think I'll be counting either as actual pieces.

25-03-2013
Power to the 99%

barbaraa, I think a white t would be worth trying, as it seems it would be useful with some of the pieces you own ... i'm a bit careful with anything light-colored during hazardous activities like eating spaghetti :p but in general i expect white Ts to not last too long--2-3 years max probably for me.

twistelette, so glad you found coats you're happy with ... love love love the camel one

sneakers: I'm not a sneaker person either, though I did once have a silver mesh platform pair I liked! I want to like Converse, but they're not me.

jinadaze, I should send you my trimmings to add to the bottom of your pants

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe