How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-03-2013
tfs star

EvaH: I didn't know you were getting married! Congratulation(or does one say Good luck to the bride?)!

You aren't going to buy anything for two years?! I can't even begin to imagine... I am going to have to revisit your Pintrest board to have a look at what you are getting.

30-03-2013
Power to the 99%

^^ I think it was about Nancy Lancaster that someone remarked that she never looked more chic than when her fortunes had taken a downward turn and she was considering every purchase oh-so-carefully. That's the upside to not having a lot of money to spend

It looks like you no longer have anything about your current wardrobe and purchases so far available on Pinterest. But one thing I notice is a lot of similarities--multiple red, blue, and white sweaters, for instance.

On the one hand, it's important to think about how a wardrobe will actually work ... coffee does spill, and things need to be washed or go to the cleaners. I do have some 'duplication' (not strict duplication, that is, not the exact same piece in the same color) in my wardrobe ... pieces that can fill in for one another when needed, if something is being cleaned or repaired, which definitely happens. Typically I duplicate just in black and white, the very basic colors, and keep it to 2-3 somewhat different items.

There was a time when I wasn't planning my wardrobe, and one of the issues I found was that I was instinctively buying items that were very similar to each other. (Sometimes something can seem totally 'me' because I already have it ) At one time I had quite a collection of silk paisley skirts. The receptionist at work couldn't tell the difference between them, and one day she hissed, 'There she goes--wearing that skirt again!!' Now I am the first to say that what other people think doesn't matter, particularly people of her ilk ... but if people are going to think it's the same skirt, why do you need 6 of them instead of 1

The other thing to bear in mind is the feedback loop. You notice a hole in your wardrobe, and begin to fill it. Maybe it's a one-item hole, maybe three ... probably not ten. The best way to find out what you actually need is to gradually acquire items, and see how they work for you. I like to buy one or two, and then see how it all works for awhile. If there's still a hole, I'll buy one more ...

The other important part of the feedback loop is quality. Sometimes it takes months to learn about the quality of the brands you're buying. Notes from others are great, but brands do change, so I think the best way to learn is from your own experience. Plus of course your own body, lifestyle, cleaning methods, habits, etc., etc. will cause your mileage to vary.

So I continue to believe a slow and steady approach is best

30-03-2013
tfs star

EvaH: I just looked at your boards. Holy Moley That is a lot of stuff. Not for two years, but to buy in one go.. I would be terrified of making such a commitment and buying all at once. I will hyperventilate a bit on your behalf Perhaps you are better than me at making commitments... (marriage and all that...)

Did you finally settle for the "BURBERRY BRIT Double-breasted wool-blend coat"? I can't wait to see it in the wardrobe combinations thread

30-03-2013
Power to the 99%

From "She's a Woman Now" in the current (April 2013) US Elle:

Quote:
What appeals to me about these clothes is their timelessness, their structure, their impeccable quality. Last winter I got so disproportionately bummed out when a pair of maize-colored mittens unraveled after one wearing that I vowed I would never again buy anything else made with chintzy materials or blah design. On a practical level, it's a waste of money and time. But I also think that after you reach a certain age, ephemeral clothing subtly reminds you of all the other impermanence in your life--the relationships that have ended, the places you've lived and had to leave. And such throwaway pieces are nearly always mass-produced. I want clothing that's unique, even rare, clothing that looks like me, the outward expression of my distinctive tastes and triumphs and mistakes, acquired over years. "Life shapes the face you have at 30," Coco Chanel once said. Shouldn't life also shape your wardrobe?

30-03-2013
front row

CostI am buying 16 items for 2 years,It's not that terrible and it does follow the 4-5 rule
Zara and mango basic Ts, and wolford bodysuits are not pictured either ^^ I calculated and the total is 3,182£ I am not buying the "cute" stuff nor the "après". It is roughly what I would have spent on one item: the fendi bag..

The thing is, I have tried and now I know I do really dislike physical shopping - feels like a waste of time :/ . I won't focus on my 4-5 piece for winter/London weather anyway if I know I also have to create a capsule wardrobe for my world your in warm countries only (spending 8 month in South and Central America and the rest in SE Asia) on top of preparing my research project, securing funding, traveling for engagement session shoots, traveling for my wedding dresses and my accessories etc..

Re the multiple items: what I am going to buy do look quite similar but after cleaning up my closet and being honest with my actual and immediate needs warm sweater/jumper/basics for layering were what I needed most. I recently added one coat because it is cute and 1 dressy top + white shirt. And it is great to know that I won't have to think about my Pinterest/my wardrobe as everything will be in there for now and for my return.

I think it really is the best I can do for the time being. I realized how time consuming it can be to hunt for very specific pieces and now that I have found some I really do feel like taking a break and focusing on something else ^^

Re quality I think that I went for very different designers without trying, which is good. I will be able to compare a bit and see what worked and what didn't ^^

Burberry: I do like it ^^ I went to the shop and saw it and it is indeed very nice and warm. I was a bit wary of the grey but I think it could work well. Was torn between that wool and a black cotton classic trench. I thought that the wool blend was more appropriate for now ^^

Ta-ta, the quote is indeed very interesting
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by EvaH; 30-03-2013 at 02:39 PM.

30-03-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
From "She's a Woman Now" in the current (April 2013) US Elle:
This is brilliant.

I also found your latest reply to Eva very wise. I think a wardrobe will be better when build over a longer period of time.

----

I think I have decided to buy the silk shirt from &Other Stories. I just need to figure out wether to buy it with short or long sleeves. I might not be able to buy it this month so if it is gone in May I am back to square one.

30-03-2013
tfs star

EvaH: It is not the actual cost that would scare me. 3000 pounds over two years is very reasonable. There is just so little room for error when you buy all at once. I am not particularly brave and I always have an escape route when doing something. I don't even get on a buss before I know exactly how and when I can get home (how many sandwiches should I pack?)

Last edited by eizhowa; 30-03-2013 at 03:03 PM.

30-03-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
EvaH: It is not the actual cost that would scare me. 3000 pounds over two years is very reasonable. There is just so little room for error when you buy all at once. I am not particularly brave and I always have an escape route when doing something. I don't even get on a buss before I know exactly how and when I can get home (how many sandwiches should I pack?)
You are funny I am probably quite similar. I quite dislike public transportation (me: not in driver's seat), and I hardly go anywhere without thinking where I am going to eat (don't want to get stuck eating crummy food).

shopping: I would say if it feels like a waste of time, an attitude adjustment may be in order My view is that the end result is very important, having a wardrobe that reflects my personal style & really functions well. I can enjoy shopping, I don't always. Like this afternoon I was shopping for bras, and when you're hard to fit, it can be a beating. I asked for help, but the ones that had been pulled for me did not meet any of my criteria. So I got out there & found ones that did, and the SA went in the back & poked around in backstock. She ended up doing better than I did as it turned out my size has changed since I bought the last batch. I would say it was less than a beating, also quite a bit less than a thrill ... but I am utterly thrilled with the results. I found some pretty ones and they feel great, fit very well, etc.

Some people are easy to fit, don't live in a good shopping city, etc. Hey, online shopping is perfect for them. I am not easy to fit, and I do live near a good shopping city, so I'm pretty careful about what I order online. And really, at no time in my life, and I have been size 2 and up, has buying pants online been a good idea.

My view is that if the end goal is worthwhile, then it's worthwhile to optimize the process of reaching that goal. My experience has been that people who 'hate shopping' end up shortchanging their results. If I had a nickel for every time my mother said, If something's worth doing, it's worth doing well I do believe that, though ... and I don't believe nearly everything she said repeatedly, just so we're clear

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 31-03-2013 at 12:03 AM.

31-03-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Some people are easy to fit, don't live in a good shopping city, etc.
That's me, I can even order bras online and they will fit, so I rarely go shopping in my city, because I almost never find what I was looking for and when shopping online I can rethink my possible purchases till they're out of stock. :p
But I do love shopping in other cities (abroad) with my boyfriend, I call it Happytime.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 31-03-2013 at 10:35 AM.

31-03-2013
front row

jinadaze: Happytime, I like it and being easy to fit & not in a shopping city & succesful when shopping online, I like that too

different shopping strategies work for different people, I think.
evah: not knowing your schedule - in the sense that I don't know for how much longer you'll be in London before you go off to Africa for your engagement and wedding, and then on your world tour (which sounds fab, by the way!) - but it sounds to me like you won't be in London for a super long while before you're off, and then not back in London for two years, and living in/traveling through countries with a warmer climate before you're back.
my reservations with getting a whole new wardrobe in one go, wearing it for a while and then having two years where you don't wear it at all would be that I'd hate to see you not allowing yourself the chance to have developed your tastes and style in those two years when you're travelling. I'd just hate to see you sell yourself short in that way.

me: today was officially the coldest Easter sunday since 1964. I'm wearing a long-sleeved jersey t-shirt and a casmere sweater. 'nuff said.

01-04-2013
Power to the 99%

^ that is a cold Easter ... brrr. When I used to dress up on Easter, it was always so hard to plan for because you never knew whether it was going to be warm or cold. btw, love the Humanoid sneakers you pinned--really cute. What's the sole like, have you seen them?

So glad to have the lingerie situation finally sorted ... I do notice as I start wearing it again that my warm weather loungewear is showing some wear, so I may need to do something there as we move into summer. Also need to stock up on white Ts, but have a few other things in other areas to take care of first ...

Is anyone else starting to wear spring clothes yet? Any observations?

01-04-2013
front row

^ sounds intriguing, these 'few other things'
I love those Humanoid sneakers as well! like you said, the perfect sneakers for a non-sneaker-person. I haven't seen them in person yet, so I couldn't say what the sole is like. there's two things about them though: I think they'll look best worn with somewhat narrow or straight-legged trousers, and most of my spring trousers are wider-legged. not intensly flared or anything, but I'm not sure how that will look. another thing: they are about 3 times the amount I budgeted for this 'slot'.

I am also curious to hear about any spring wardrobe observations anyone might have!

01-04-2013
front row

^^ I was also wearing pants at Easter

01-04-2013
trendsetter

Twistelette, I can't for the life of me find you on Pinterest under that nick you had provided.

I can't even think of wearing spring clothes yet, we're having hard rain here for days, mixed with snow, together with completely winter temperatures.
And I'm just talking about the period after spring actually started (on the calendar, that is).

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

01-04-2013
front row

I think I live in one of the warmest places out of all of us here - if not the warmest - and it's definitely not feeling like spring either. It's been raining for days...

I also didn't shop according to seasons. This year so far I bought:
- a black skirt
- a gray tee
- a breton sweater
- a polka dot scarf
- a black leather belt
- a black longline cami (this and the belt are yet to arrive thanks to Easter)

This month I'm going to ask my mother to give me a white shirt for my birthday. I'll also be buying a white tee and perhaps a nice blouse.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe