How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

03-04-2013
backstage pass

OUPS, I forgot to credit the picture, it's from mytheresa.com!

The sweater is 100% wool but seems to be light/medium weight. I think that's a great material for spring/autumn here.

03-04-2013
Power to the 99%

^^^ 3.1 has great prints this season! I'm glad you got this. Even prettier in person I think.

Hopefully you'll get a chance to try on some of the Lanvin shoes in person. As I mentioned, the fit is significantly different between the cap/molded toe and some of the plainer ones, the former (like I have) being a lot roomier. I would think the elastic would mold to the narrower part of your foot, but I am not the expert on that particular problem

blackcoffee, glad everything is working out

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 03-04-2013 at 12:23 PM.

03-04-2013
tfs star

Blackcoffee: The green Asos dress and the Barneys leather jacket? Sorry, Pintrest sometimes confuses me and I am not sure which pin to look at

I think pretty much all the europeans on this thread feels your pain when it comes to not being able to wear spring clothes yet

Everybody: Seeing as Pintrest has become such an important part of this forum I feel like I can bring it up (I didn't even use pintrest before tfs) - I have tons of pins that do not show up on the main pintrest page after I added them. Anyone know why? Feel free to PM me. An entire board has gone missing. I think perhaps I got a bit to enthusiastic and pinned too much too fast

Last edited by eizhowa; 03-04-2013 at 12:44 PM.

03-04-2013
front row

eizhowa yes the green asos dress and the barneys leather jacket
the jacket is thinner than i expected, but it has a great fit and details.

yes this winter seems neverending...

i have no idea about the pinterest main page, my pins sometimes won't show and sometimes they show twice... i have no idea why...

03-04-2013
front row

Black coffee, can't wait to go see what you got! And Red, that sweater is gorgeous.

Me:I was in an awful mood this morning I decided to clean my closet again. I am now the proud owner of 45 pieces of clothing (including coats, excluding lingerie) . I want to go down to 30 pieces. We will see how this one turns out. I now need to resize all the pictures to upload them on pinterest

On to the even nicer part - ta-ta you will be proud - I went shopping today!!
People at Harvey Nichols are so sweet. I now understand the importance of a great SA I ended up buying 2 pairs of lanvin flats (black and metallic). I absolutely love love them and loved spending the afternoon in them. I also went to Crockett & Jones to have a look at some of the shoes I pinned. I might go there get some things after I clean my "shoe closet". Anyway, Lanvin flats are so comfy that I am now home and I don't want to take them off

However I have a small issue: my fiance is hosting his birthday next week-end and I have nothing to wear (the rule is to always get something new for those events). I pinned a couple of things but none would suit the evening.. We start with a "serious" black tie event held at a 3 michelin star restaurants and then off to a rooftop bar and after that off to a club and I can't for the life of me find something suitable and jaw dropping for those 3 events in one dress Any idea? He is turning 30 so it is quite important.. Maximum budget would be 1000£.

I promise to post a picture of the full outfit if somebody can help me with my predicament. I am looking for something blue (turquoise like the AMEN dress I pinned or dark blue like the Halson I pinned ^^)

Thank you

03-04-2013
Power to the 99%

^ what about your new white dress? it looked quite versatile.

glad you had a good shopping experience and like the lanvin flats! I am wearing some as I type, and they are so so comfortable. what size did you end up in?

03-04-2013
tfs star

^I am with Ta-ta. Wear the white one and buy a £1000 handbag Nobody needs to know. hush...

03-04-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ what about your new white dress? it looked quite versatile.

glad you had a good shopping experience and like the lanvin flats! I am wearing some as I type, and they are so so comfortable. what size did you end up in?
Ta-ta, I think the white dress wouldn't work because
1- it is too long for the requirement I was given ^^" I promised I would try to wear more above the knee dresses
2- I am scared of it ending on the floor :/ I wanted to change my shoes for the black lanvin flat and there is a "train" of some sort in the back and I am really really scared it could get messy and/or dirty or someone could walk on it since I won't be wearing heels at that time. That's why I was going for something blue and short but not too short to not feel out of place at the restaurant. I wanted an "unfussy" colore dress maybe ? I am gonna try it on again with the flat and see where the back end up and if there might be an accident or not ^^"

As for the lanvin, I ended up with a size 40.5 (instead of the 39 I initially thought) ! I really like them, they truly are something else ^^ The other ones from mytheresa haven't been located yet (the lady who got them never open the door for UPS. They are trying a 3rd time tomorrow...) so I sort of given up on them

Eizowha great idea. I don't really want to spend so much for something I will probably wear once and donate anyway I just need to convince that special somebody

Last edited by EvaH; 03-04-2013 at 02:52 PM.

03-04-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
Shopping for shoes is so much more fun than tops.

It's completely opposite with me, finding a pair of shoes that I like and can afford (that means under 200 €) feels like a miracle. :p
Yoox started with an up to 90 % off sample sale this evening and that would be a great opportunity for me to find a perfect pair, but no luck here.
Only some Givenchy sandals but with mink and I can't describe my feelings about fur. Hate is a mild word.

EvaH, so great for your Lanvin ballerinas! Are you trying to say that you have to convince your fiancé not to buy an expensive black tie appropriate dress but bag instead? Too funny.

R&N, what a beautiful sweater! Definitely nothing I would wear, but still.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

03-04-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Ta-ta, I think the white dress wouldn't work because
1- it is too long for the requirement I was given ^^" I promised I would try to wear more above the knee dresses
2- I am scared of it ending on the floor :/ I wanted to change my shoes for the black lanvin flat and there is a "train" of some sort in the back and I am really really scared it could get messy and/or dirty or someone could walk on it since I won't be wearing heels at that time. That's why I was going for something blue and short but not too short to not feel out of place at the restaurant. I wanted an "unfussy" colore dress maybe ? I am gonna try it on again with the flat and see where the back end up and if there might be an accident or not ^^"

As for the lanvin, I ended up with a size 40.5 (instead of the 39 I initially thought) ! I really like them, they truly are something else ^^ The other ones from mytheresa haven't been located yet (the lady who got them never open the door for UPS. They are trying a 3rd time tomorrow...) so I sort of given up on them

Eizowha great idea. I don't really want to spend so much for something I will probably wear once and donate anyway I just need to convince that special somebody
well, you can start the above the knee thing with future purchases ...

I would not be too worried about the dress itself. That's what the cleaners are for. Additionally, if you're talking about spending much more on a different dress and never wearing it again, you would be far better off ruining this one that you got on sale :p But if something does happen, you can take it to the cleaners and they should be able to fix whatever it is. If mine could get the red wine someone spilled on my suede skirt at a party out (and did not even offer to do anything about it ... ), your dress will be OK.

I think the money would be better spent on some killer shoes ... or putting it toward a bag is also a good idea. Do you have an evening bag? You've been thinking about CL heels ... what are you planning to do for your other shoes? I think wearing the flats for the on your feet portion of the evening is a good idea.

Now here you are starting to see some of the reason for our concerns about a 2-year plan with no open slots and little variety It didn't have any flat shoes, and you've bought a pair of those (one was a replacement for the ones that went missing ...), and you're saying you need a new formal dress each year. Those things should be part of your plan.

Perhaps needless to say, with this method, there is no such thing as buy-and-dispose purchases. Of course lots of people wear LBDs ... I prefer separates, so I have actually never had one. But if you do buy a dress, it should be with the intention of wearing it again, and so it should be versatile and fabulous.

Wrt mytheresa, I would just tell them that you have bought the shoes locally, please refund your $$$ and locate the shoes at their leisure

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 03-04-2013 at 05:39 PM.

03-04-2013
front row

Quote:
well, you can start the above the knee thing with future purchases ...
Got it ! I think my rebellious phase is over :p
Quote:
I would not be too worried about the dress itself. That's what the cleaners are for. Additionally, if you're talking about spending much more on a different dress and never wearing it again, you would be far better off ruining this one that you got on sale :p But if something does happen, you can take it to the cleaners and they should be able to fix whatever it is. If mine could get the red wine someone spilled on my suede skirt at a party out (and did not even offer to do anything about it ... ), your dress will be OK.
Thakoon dress: You are absolutely right. I tried it again and it is really beautiful. It goes very well with the flats as well I am very excited to put it on ! I really love that dress. What an unexpected bargain !
Quote:
I think the money would be better spent on some killer shoes ... or putting it toward a bag is also a good idea. Do you have an evening bag? You've been thinking about CL heels ... what are you planning to do for your other shoes? I think wearing the flats for the on your feet portion of the evening is a good idea.
Evening bag: I own one river island evening bag brought on asos but I don't really like it because it is too small for me.. I only used it 2 times I think.. and I definitely won't be using it next week-end as my flats wouldn't fit in it.. I am quite uneducated when it comes to evening clutch
Shoes: I pinned a couple of options and my favorite ones are some red Gianvati Rossi heels. I absolutely love them but seeing how expensive they are I really would like to know how long they could last (more than one season I hope if I use them once a week to go out for example), how comfortable they are (and how to make them even more comfortable). I think the white/red/gold theme would be really cool and different from my usual black & white.. I already have a red blazer, it could go with red shoes and I could put on some gold jewelry.
I also pinned those black shoes: Sophia Webster, Charlotte Olympia and Nicholas Kirkwood. In that case, I would go for a black blazer.
Louboutin: my problem with them is that I only like the classic ones. Either the fifi or the simple kid leather. I know they have my size in a couple of boutiques here so I will definitely go and try them before the party. But I was leaning more towards some sandals.. I will try to pin the pairs I own (and never wore) tomorrow.
Quote:
Now here you are starting to see some of the reason for our concerns about a 2-year plan with no open slots and little variety It didn't have any flat shoes, and you've bought a pair of those (one was a replacement for the ones that went missing ...), and you're saying you need a new formal dress each year. Those things should be part of your plan.
Thanks for being so patient during my rebellious strike I really did not think about including this into my plan. I had a bit of a rocky start with this way of doing, but hopefully I will make it work somehow And yes, my plan was pretty bad.. Especially since I can't only stock sweaters, jumpers and cardigans for 2 years
Quote:
Perhaps needless to say, with this method, there is no such thing as buy-and-dispose purchases. Of course lots of people wear LBDs ... I prefer separates, so I have actually never had one. But if you do buy a dress, it should be with the intention of wearing it again, and so it should be versatile and fabulous.
Wise words I considered separates at some point, but then I realised the only skirt I had and that could do was a pencil grey one. Not the best for dancing.. I think if it was slightly shorter, I might just have looked out for a really pretty corset..
Quote:
Wrt mytheresa, I would just tell them that you have bought the shoes locally, please refund your $$$ and locate the shoes at their leisure
I think that's what I will do

03-04-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Got it ! I think my rebellious phase is over :p
Thakoon dress: You are absolutely right. I tried it again and it is really beautiful. It goes very well with the flats as well I am very excited to put it on ! I really love that dress. What an unexpected bargain ! Evening bag: I own one river island evening bag brought on asos but I don't really like it because it is too small for me.. I only used it 2 times I think.. and I definitely won't be using it next week-end as my flats wouldn't fit in it.. I am quite uneducated when it comes to evening clutch
Shoes: I pinned a couple of options and my favorite ones are some red Gianvati Rossi heels. I absolutely love them but seeing how expensive they are I really would like to know how long they could last (more than one season I hope if I use them once a week to go out for example), how comfortable they are (and how to make them even more comfortable). I think the white/red/gold theme would be really cool and different from my usual black & white.. I already have a red blazer, it could go with red shoes and I could put on some gold jewelry.
I also pinned those black shoes: Sophia Webster, Charlotte Olympia and Nicholas Kirkwood. In that case, I would go for a black blazer.
Louboutin: my problem with them is that I only like the classic ones. Either the fifi or the simple kid leather. I know they have my size in a couple of boutiques here so I will definitely go and try them before the party. But I was leaning more towards some sandals.. I will try to pin the pairs I own (and never wore) tomorrow. Thanks for being so patient during my rebellious strike I really did not think about including this into my plan. I had a bit of a rocky start with this way of doing, but hopefully I will make it work somehow And yes, my plan was pretty bad.. Especially since I can't only stock sweaters, jumpers and cardigans for 2 years Wise words I considered separates at some point, but then I realised the only skirt I had and that could do was a pencil grey one. Not the best for dancing.. I think if it was slightly shorter, I might just have looked out for a really pretty corset.. I think that's what I will do
evening bags: well, they really aren't very functional, are they? Many times when I get dressed & go out, I'm driving, I'm paying, plus I am also putting on lipstick ... just those activities stretch the limits of an evening bag. Really they are meant for a woman accompanying a man who is doing all but the lipstick And my inner feminist no doubt has something to say about that But nonetheless I have a black velvet/pearl clasp & a black beaded silk one. If you find them not big enough, then let us say no more. I believe you will need some kind of tote for your shoes.

shoes: in my experience this type of shoe can last indefinitely. You have to maintain it ... heel caps & toe tips. (Turn over your Lanvins and the separate piece at the toe is what I'm talking about. The way they're made is fabulous--usually it's not a separate piece.) With suede, you just cannot get stuck in a downpour. If you do, just take your shoes off, find a way to protect them, & wade barefoot (And check the weather report before you leave!) And I agree that these would be great for going out--they are just not made for walking, so you could either walk & change, or take a cab, etc. to your destination.

sweaters: really one for each day of the week (counting what you already have ...) with your Wolford pieces should be more than enough to start for this year. These are just the first of the building blocks. You're not making a whole wardrobe right this second, you're choosing pieces to be part of an ideal (for you) wardrobe.

dinner is served ... :p I'll be back.

03-04-2013
tfs star

Ta-ta: You put the lipstick in the pocket of his jacket.

03-04-2013
Power to the 99%

eizhowa, you have to Refresh to see your latest pins, etc. You're talking about your home page, is that right?

03-04-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
Ta-ta: You put the lipstick in the pocket of his jacket.
so helpful :p and what if you're going out with the girls, or he isn't wearing a jacket? It's pretty casual here ... especially when it's so damn hot in the summer, guys will often wear just a really beautiful dress shirt to a nice restaurant.

anyway, more than half the time I just carry my regular bag to dinner or wherever, and I have never yet been cited by the fashion police the evening bags are for weddings, the concert hall, etc.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe