How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

03-04-2013
Power to the 99%

hopefully quick post before I go feed the dogs

I realized wrt the white tee(s) I need that it would be most foolish to get them from anywhere I don't have free return shipping. It's very easy to return things to Nordstrom, but somehow they have managed not to buy one single T I really like this season ...

I think I'll be taking my own advice & shopping for these in person. I have a couple stores in mind ...

wrt participating in this thread, obviously it's totally optional each person makes their own rules, but as everyone can see from the title, the one thing it is definitely not about is unlimited shopping I would say what everyone has in common here is
  • Taking only what you need
  • Setting definite limits around acquisitions
  • Having an overall relatively streamlined wardrobe ... the kind where it's difficult to forget what you have
  • Making the most of what you have
  • Thinking individual purchases through carefully, as well as the wardrobe as a whole
  • Having a wardrobe that really works
  • Never having to go naked
  • No unnecessary duplication or continuing over-dependence on one or two items (which is a killer when something happens to that item)
Have I missed anything?

04-04-2013
trendsetter

@RedAndNavy: That sweater is gorgeous! Great choice. And very sensible. I think shoppin for sweaters is quite boring as well. Maybe it would not be if I was buying that kind of sweaters

@Eva: I am with the other girls on this! The core of 5pfw is to get things you love so much that you do not want to get rid of after wearing them once. That been said, I am willing to take any kind of dress donations I think your plan to wear the white dress is great. I bet it will be perfect for the event.

Regarding the evening bag talk I will have to say that my YSL mail clutch does the trick. It can hold my cell, cards and a few change (in the small pocket), keys and also a pair of glasses. I can also fit a small coin purse in there (but only if I do not bring glases).

---------------------

I went to an outlet center with my friend yesterday and they had a lot of great stuff. Nothing that I needed though, so I only bought a bra. It was insanely cheap (5$) and I need underwear.

Sadly my camera might have died. I might have to take it to be repaired but at this point I am preparing myself for the fact that I might have to buy a new one. I can not go without a camera. That also means that I probably won't be able to make any larger investments for a loong time clothing wise.

04-04-2013
front row

Betinapple: sorry to hear about your camera! if my camera died (of natural or unnatural causes), I would make getting a new one a big priority as well. I hope it can be repaired...

Being (more) conscious about making such priorities in my spending, while also maintaining some flexibility, and having a place to be held accountable to the priorities I make (I mean, besides being accountable to my friends, my partner, in my own head ) is one of the reasons I participate in this tread.
And what you mentioned is pretty much spot-on for me, Ta-Ta.

04-04-2013
front row

Ta-ta: Thanks for the reminder. I just need to see if I want to do it eizhowa way or the way of the majority

Cocktail dresses: Sorry, I may come out wrongly. I didn't mean to buy a dress I don't like just to toss it :/
My fiancé doesn't like to see me repeat an item for a "special" occasion no matter if I like it or not. For example, I know since I couldn't bring myself to donate my engagement dinner dress, I had to store it at my mum. I can't wear, say the dress I wore to his birthday last year this year, and if I wear this Thakoon dress it is banned from any of our anniversary/birthday/new year celebration/proper outing/parties together. I will just be able to use it on my own or on the daily grind. It just is something he doesn't like (he likes to be surprised each time), not something I am pushing for !
That's why I used to only buy cheap stuff (combined with the guilt). I knew I couldn't keep it all anyway as I do go out a lot with him...

Overall wardrobe: I am going to try to clean my wardrobe a little more. Without the emotional factor. I thought I was doing pretty wellas except from the Zara basics, wolford, 2 evening dresses and 1 blazer, everything is pictured. How many items do you have in your wardrobe? How many items should I be aiming for?

Betina: sorry to hear about your camera. Hopefully you will find something suitable and not too crazy expensive quickly
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by EvaH; 04-04-2013 at 02:41 AM.

04-04-2013
backstage pass

Sweater: It has arrived and it is indeed even more gorgeous in person! I love how it is different from many things I own yet it fits in. I have recently bought several such things - like the denim jacket - and it is lovely to see how you can slowly evolve your style yet stay true to it. What I particularly love about the sweater is that the print around the shoulders works so well for my body. I have slim shoulders and comparatively large hips and this print kind of balances that. I wasn't even aware of the effect when I ordered it but now I think it's a style I might consider in the future, too.

Tata: Philipp Lim indeed has some great prints! I also loved the FW13/14 collection, I will have to look out for that. Exactly my color scheme! Love your list above. I agree with everything and I'm all for reasonable, sustainable shopping!!

Eva: what do you do with the things you toss? Your fiancé's approach seems to be a bit hard to combine with a 4-5 pieces approach... But can't you vary your outfits with different combinations? Like different shoes, accessories etc.? It can totally change a look... Especially if the dress /separates are versatile. Congrats on the Lanvin flats!

04-04-2013
backstage pass

Reasons for 4-5 pieces: for me, personally, it is also a way to secure I don't make myself a slave to fashion. I want to be able to go out for dinner from time to time, to travel, to spend money on my kids... I just want to have certain limits on what I spend, even if I am not poor and even if I spend quite a lot on the items I select. I just want to feel in control.

04-04-2013
Power to the 99%

I'm not sure eizhowa is doing anything really different from the rest of us. I remember she mentioned she doesn't care about how many items she buys per month--and I don't either, I'm looking at 6 months to a year. eizhowa, I know you must totally love being put on the spot If you don't mind, would you mind sharing how many pieces you bought last year (not counting minor accessories, etc.)?

Obviously this thread/approach is not for everyone ... and what you're saying about dresses that is being dictated by your fiance, that really looks like it could take at least half the slots most of us allot for an entire year. Have you considered rental? I'm not sure exactly what's available in that space ...

In all the years since I started this thread (and I don't remember now exactly when that was), I remember only once when I think I bought more than planned, which was in 2007 when I took a vacation to a sub-tropical climate, and realized I was going to need clothes and a pair of walking shoes I just didn't have. I'm looking back to see exactly what happened that year ... I did indeed buy extra pieces that year, but they did include a number of fairly inexpensive tops (less than $50). I also still have a number of things I bought that year that are great pieces still in my wardrobe ... red Mary Janes, ivory skirt, black sweater, etc. There are also items I wore out--black pants, coral jeans. I also cut back for fall after going overboard earlier, and bought only 3 pieces. Illustrates the utility of leaving space for requirements that arise, perhaps unexpectedly, and also of planning properly for what will be different in a particular year. I don't think I really decided to do that vacation at the last moment, I think it was more a matter of not properly considering what I was going to wear.

I remember noticing that when I shopped quickly for that vacation, the quality of my selections degraded. Part of that was my hurry, part was that I was buying in quantity so I ended up with things I'd otherwise have rejected, and part of it was what was available during non-prime shopping season. You can be the best shopper in the world, and you will not find perfect strawberries in December

04-04-2013
backstage pass

I don't think you need to buy one piece per month either. It's just my very personal approach. It has to do with my personality - I think it would be so hard for me not to shop for any longer than six weeks. So I limit my shopping to one piece a month, it makes it easier for me. But that means that I sometimes have to watch how a great piece sells out etc. Maybe in the future I will try to shop more in clumps but for now it's fine.

I also think it's fine if you break your own rules from time to time as long as it isn't regularly. And of course: you make the rules.

04-04-2013
trendsetter

@RedAndNavy: Guess your sweater arrived? Glad to hear it is lovely. I think it is so perfect for your colorful wardrobe.

Camera: Thx for your kind words regarding my camera. A nice man in a photo shop looked at it and apperently it is the shutter that is not working. He will talk with the place that repairs the camera for me and tomorrow I hopefully will know wether it can be fixed or not. Although I kinda felt my world shatter a bit when I found out it had broken. I use my camera every day, especially for taking pictures for my blog which is kind of an important part of being a fashion/style blogger (:p). I feel okay now though. If it can be repaired, great. If not, or if the guarantee will not cover it, I will buy a new one. It is not something that I had planned for, but now it see it as a possibility to get an upgrade which I would never had done if it had not broken. 5PFW mentality for electronics, I guess

Why do 5PFW:
It is really nice and inspiring to hear all of your thoughts on this topic. I started reading this thread and I really liked the approach although at the time (a couple of years ago) it was far from my own way of shopping. I was fed up with buying things only to sell them a couple of months later because I was not that into them any way.

Like R&N I like feeling like I am in control and I like to limit myself not only by how much money I earn. I do not want to spend all of my money on clothes. Also I enjoy planning and moving towards my perfect wardrobe. And, being very concious about the environment, this feels a lot better than buying loads of clothes and tossing them a short while after.

Although I definetly buy more than 5 items pr. season (the last two seasons I have bought 15 items - each season), it really gives me something and I am definetly more focused and buying less now.

04-04-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Sweater: It has arrived and it is indeed even more gorgeous in person! I love how it is different from many things I own yet it fits in. I have recently bought several such things - like the denim jacket - and it is lovely to see how you can slowly evolve your style yet stay true to it. What I particularly love about the sweater is that the print around the shoulders works so well for my body. I have slim shoulders and comparatively large hips and this print kind of balances that. I wasn't even aware of the effect when I ordered it but now I think it's a style I might consider in the future, too.
yes! I love items like that, items that sort of 'push' your style and that still fit in.
it's pretty great what (the placement of) a print can do for the silhouette, isn't it? I've been interested in style for so long, and I perpetually feel like I'm just beginning to learn how clothes work. I kind of like that feeling, in a way, it keeps me evolving.
that is another reasong for being interested in this method, by the way, to follow that process of evolving and not to rush it, or stump it.
but it's true what betinapple and ta-ta said, everyone has a different way of putting the ideas into practice - a practice which can also evolve as time and needs move on. I myself also don't really count the amount of pieces I buy so much as I try to only get pieces that make my wardrobe/outfits work better. buying too many clothes has never been a problem for me, buying pieces that didn't fit in with anything else I owned and pieces that I liked as 'objects' but that didn't really flatter me has. (not a BIG problem, if you know what I mean, but you know what I mean ) my wardrobe is a mix of thrifted stuff and new stuff, and the last couple years my shopping has evolved towards: thinking & planning the new items I get, and getting the most value for my money on them. I mean, I really try to invest - like I feel I have done with my new coats. this sort of naturally means I cannot get that many items per season, I am simply limited by the amount of money in my bank account . thrift shopping is a completely different animal, you have to be a little bit impulsive. you just can't plan and wait and think over an item for weeks. which means, if you don't want to get many things that end up not suiting you after all, that you need to hone your eye and taste, to be able to make good decisions on the spot. thrift shopping is less naturally limited because it's relatively cheap, but it turns out for me that the amount of items I end up getting is limited by... well, a lot of the time there is nothing that I really want to own .

04-04-2013
Power to the 99%

^ yes ... that is something I have noticed about a lot of us ... very specific, particular taste. not just anything will do

04-04-2013
trendsetter

@Twistelette: That is definetly also a big factor for me. Limiting yourself in regards of money. I want the best thing available in my price range. And being a student that does not allow me to buy tons of new clothes each season.

@Ta-ta: Yes. Being picky is key. Today I bought - and returned that &Other Stories shirt. It was sooo nice. But at the end of the day if was not perfect, and although it is the closest thing to perfect I have seen it is just not good enough.

How are you liking your polka dot pants? Have you worn them yet or did you need to have them tailored?

04-04-2013
tfs star

Quote:
eizhowa, I know you must totally love being put on the spot If you don't mind, would you mind sharing how many pieces you bought last year (not counting minor accessories, etc.)?
I don't mind I can sort of answer your question. This might be a long post though. Keep in mind I am only 21. I had too much money to waste in my teens when someone else payed for all of my living expenses, and I didn't spend them like I wish I has done in retrospect.:p I've had to re-learn how to spend money since I left home

I wrote down everything I bought in 2012 in an excel spreadsheet, but I don't have it with me right now (at work). I do remember that I spent about 24 000 NOK (4000+ dollars) on clothes/shoes last year. My best buys were two pairs of boots and a handbag that I thought were to expensive at the time. In total those thee pieces only cost 5500 NOK (1000 dollars). I would rather have those three pieces than everything else I bought that year. Thats why I decided to give this concept a try. I don't really care if I buy one piece a month religiously, but I would like to buy fewer things, but of better quality.

I bought crazy amounts of stuff in december last year, like 20+ pieces (I don't even remember what). This month I bought 2 pieces. A pair of Bloch heels and a Chloe skirt I will be re-selling (I bought it using my old it-is-a-"bargain"-so-I-MUST-have-it-even-if-I-don't-love-it philospohy. Now I regret it. Re-selling takes so much effort..) I am waiting for some things to try on (I have discovered a love for free returns), but I don't know if I'll be keeping any of it yet. I will pick them up at the post office tomorrow

EvaH: I think your fiance should pay for the dress if it is that important to him Or rent, like Ta-ta suggested. You are lucky he notices what you wear at least

Last edited by eizhowa; 04-04-2013 at 12:40 PM.

04-04-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistelette View Post
buying too many clothes has never been a problem for me, buying pieces that didn't fit in with anything else I owned and pieces that I liked as 'objects' but that didn't really flatter me has. (not a BIG problem, if you know what I mean, but you know what I mean )
I definitely relate with this and this is why I joined. I also like it that there is some sort of "peer pressure" to ponder what to buy and not to settle for things that are just okay.

04-04-2013
backstage pass

It is not that I am not limited by our bank account But I guess I could get even a bit more but there would be nothing left for good food, my further education, my husband new bike etc. When I first started to earn a full salary I just went clothes shopping whenever I felt like it and I spent a ridiculous amount on clothes for a few (at least only very few) months. After that I didn't feel that more fashionable but kind of ashamed of myself. Plus I had lots of items but they weren't really the best I could get - because I didn't really think about it.

For me, finding your own style and limiting your purchases are very closely connected. And it is true that you can buy less and have more to wear in the end...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe