How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

07-04-2013
fashion icon

I'd like to keep it under $200, I could never ask my parents to pay for something that exorbitant. And as for color scheme I'm pretty open about it, though I am partial to brown or black leather, and I think it should be a shoulder bag. I prefer purses with longer straps as well. It doesn't need to be able to hold a ton though if it did that would be great too. It was really sweet of my parents to offer such a gift so I think that's part of where my worry stems from, I don't want to 'waste' it, if you know what I mean.

07-04-2013
trendsetter

@PinkPolish: I think my style started looking like the one I have today about 4-5 years ago when I was 17. That was when I bought my first pair of good leather boots, my first striped blouse and other basic items. Some of them I still have and although my style was different before that I have got a couple of pieces from before then as well. For example I have a black cardigan (from H&M of all places!) that has been with me even longer. It still looks pristine.

My wardrobe has also managed to work for me although I gained around 5-7 kilos and then lost 10. Most of my clothes still fit. Some didn't when I was at my highest weight and I had to get rid of some that was too big around the waist when I lost weight again but most still fit. And still will fit although I will gain a little again. (not sure of this is okay to write according to forum policy?). Some things are better for this than others; cardigans and small jackets for indoor use (I never close mine), dresses and stretchy things in general. Jeans can be an issue, of course.

My point being. If you still are doubting your style I would go for basics and perhaps things that you can wear allthough you've got a yo-yo weight ATM. In that way your style can evolve if neccesary. My style can be both ladylike, casual, scandinavian minimalistic and girly depending on styling. I do not thing you need to change your entire wardrobe to change your looks. Not even if you prefer statement items.

Also, figure out what YOU like. Start making a style scrap book, maybe on pinterest, of things you like, color schemes etc. and see if there is any kind of cohesion between those things.

Hope you can use this

@YoninahAliza: what is your name on pinterest? I know how you feel about splurging on sunglasses. I had the same fear. Untill last year I had only owned H&M sunnies but had an opportunity to get a pair of prada baroques. Somehow I am more careful with them and some of that carefulness have rubbed on to my cheaper sunglasses. Always put them back in the case when you are not wearing them. If you make that a rule you will not forget them anywhere or break them. I do not think you should rule them out if that is what you really want.

Last edited by Betinapple; 07-04-2013 at 03:00 AM.

07-04-2013
trendsetter

Oh. And thx Ta-ta! Would've giving you karma but I am not allowed to atm

@Jina:
: Thx. That necklace is so nice. One of my favourite items from that collection. Feeling content about your wardrobe is such a nice place to be. Actually I am good for now as well but I think it will be nice any way for inspirational use and finding those last things on my list.

07-04-2013
fashion insider

Pink I think that as long as you pick styles and colors that suit you and your natural coloring, you have a greater chance of loving them for a long time (assuming you loved them to begin with). That's my five cent anyway

Have you considered how your wardrobe will be affected by your future career? At uni we have the freedom to wear pretty much anything. If you will be working in a conservative environment later you might want to factor that in.

Also, if you invest in classic handbags and keep them in good shape you could always re-sell in a few years if you get sick of them/outgrow them.

YoninahAliza: I bought a pair of Ray Bans 5 years ago when I was 16 and I still have them. They are as good as new, even if I accidentally sat on them once or twice I am not in the habit of loosing my stuff though. I think sunglasses made with actual glass might me more fragile... and painful to sit on

I also don't think you can go wrong with fine jewelry in gold or silver (depending on what becomes you the most)

You could also ask if you can save the money and combine it with your own to buy something more expensive that you might have been lusting over?

Betinapple: I quite like the idea of a smaller wardrobe Which At the moment is great, because I haven't room for more clothes My wardrobe was smaller last year at this time and I was able to pack my entire summer wardrobe when I went on holiday (without having to pay for overweight). Packing was never easier:p

07-04-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
Betinapple: I quite like the idea of a smaller wardrobe Which At the moment is great, because I haven't room for more clothes My wardrobe was smaller last year at this time and I was able to pack my entire summer wardrobe when I went on holiday (without having to pay for overweight). Packing was never easier:p
I really do as well and I am still contemplating doing a serious clean out and taking what I do not wear to the attic and see how that works out. I love all of my clothes but definetly don't wear all of them. I will not do anything until the 17th where I will pick up the dresser I've ordered for the clothes that does not go on the clothing racks, and a shelf for shoe boxes. I am thinking about getting rid of the boxes though and just keeping the shoes loosely on the shelf so I can se them.

I do not think I have a lot of clothes (two clothing racks shared with my BF. His clothes might take up half a rack, and two drawers for basic tops, jersey skirts, jeans and underwear) but it might be nicer to only have things I actually wear on a regular basis.

Sorry for the me-me-me post, you just got me thinking about my wardrobe solution yet again

07-04-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoninahAliza View Post
I'd like to keep it under $200, I could never ask my parents to pay for something that exorbitant. And as for color scheme I'm pretty open about it, though I am partial to brown or black leather, and I think it should be a shoulder bag. I prefer purses with longer straps as well. It doesn't need to be able to hold a ton though if it did that would be great too. It was really sweet of my parents to offer such a gift so I think that's part of where my worry stems from, I don't want to 'waste' it, if you know what I mean.
Of your choices, I like the one I liked on Pinterest the best Dooney & Bourke has a small saddle-bag type one in your price range. They also have a nice repair/replacement program (explained on their website). I wore their bags in the past, and by the time I sent them in, it was always a replacement. But you do have to have another bag to use while you're waiting for the new one. The replacement is half price (or rather, you have a credit of half the current price of your old bag to apply to it) & it can be any bag--basically a trade up. But I like the solid nude/black one you pinned best

07-04-2013
Power to the 99%

twistelette, have you checked out Ash sneakers? There are some Converse like taupe leather ones with a buckle in the back that I thought were very cute and elevated them out of the sneakery realm

07-04-2013
front row

ta-ta: thanks for reminding me! a couple years ago, they had a pair in gold leather that I really liked, and never got (for reasons passing understanding).

07-04-2013
backstage pass

Wow, the amount of posts here is hard to keep up with

Pintrest sounds like a good way to keep track of thing that are on a want/need/inspiration list. I'm gonna make one in the next few days, pictures are much easier for me to remember and keep track of than lists (plus it's much more fun collecting pictures than writing lists ).

08-04-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewormany View Post
Wow, the amount of posts here is hard to keep up with

Pintrest sounds like a good way to keep track of thing that are on a want/need/inspiration list. I'm gonna make one in the next few days, pictures are much easier for me to remember and keep track of than lists (plus it's much more fun collecting pictures than writing lists ).
Yes, we used to have a separate thread to discuss Pinterest and what we're shopping for, but then it got merged with this one ...

Got a white T tonight ... pinned it to my closet board. Only had to visit two more stores, so much easier than last time. It was a bit more expensive than what I had in mind, but it's a label I have a knit top from already that has done very well, and they're also very nice at the store, I've been wanting to buy something there for awhile ...

Let us know when you have a Pinterest account, and we'll all follow you ...

08-04-2013
scenester

Thank you lovelies fashionista-ta Betinapple & eizhowa for your advice

I mostly feel like my taste is evolving as I'm entering a new stage in my life, I feel much more grown up and ladylike now. My style is reflected in that. Based on your suggestions, I will take start investing in more basics, as it seems like you guys still wear them even after your style has changed. Thank you

YoninahAliza, have you considered designer jewelry? I recently made my first non-beauty item from Chanel, and it was a pair of duo-toned earrings, and it retailed around $225 CAD? Prices are always higher in Canada though. It is classic and you can even pass it down to future generations! Simple, classic jewelry has one of the lowest cost per wear IMO, so you won't have to feel too guilty
As for bags,

08-04-2013
Power to the 99%

Please ... no guilt

I did find that my taste in jewelry changed over the years, but a watch is a nice solid investment piece (assuming you wear them). I am still happy to wear the first nice watch I ever bought, right after I graduated from college.

I like indie designer jewelry of the type found at Barney's and ylang23. With gold & semi-precious stones, it can be pretty reasonable.

Barney's btw does not sell any 'bad' stones (blood diamonds and the like), but your best best from an environmental perspective is vintage or antique jewelry. I really like adin.be, and they have things at all price points. Last I knew, they shipped everything with Belgian chocolates in the shape of jewels, just saying ... There are also jewelers who make everything with recycled gold, etc.

08-04-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Let us know when you have a Pinterest account, and we'll all follow you ...
I just made an account, I'd rather not put my name here but I'll give it in a PM .

I've found some recent things from my wardrobe I pinned, but I guess I'll need to take pictures of older stuff to get a better picture. Looking forward to seeing all of you there.

09-04-2013
front row

The amount of posts here is so exciting (but so hard to keep up with )

Fewormany, could you please PM your pinterest?

Pink: I definitely understand what you mean by trying to dress your age but still invest in pieces you will be able to wear once you start working as well. I always try to keep it in mind and I think that's why I try to stay clear of things which are a bit too much out there for my taste.. I prefer to play it safe and see how I develop and maybe add more quirky pieces as I go along. But I am also realising that my style is very classical, very structured (at least I think that's where I would like to go).

Smaller wardrobe: I am still cleaning mine. I got around 30 pieces now. For me it's just really freeing to let go of stuff I don't wear/don't particularly like/don't suit me/aren't good quality/love but can't wear because of various reasons. My fiance is freaking out a little bit saying that I won't have anything to wear but..on the contrary: yesterday I tried (and succeed for the first time I think) my hand at layering. I was wearing a plain white sleeveless tank top + red long sleeve & v-neck sweater underneath my leopard short sleeves dress with a black blazer + tights + ankle boots and I felt great ! The less clothes I have, the more I learn to play with it and really experiment.

Yoninah: I am with Eizhowa on the ray ban. They have suffered through a lot with me but they are still as good as new. I think sunglasses are important, but I have vision impairment so that's why I could never ever buy "cheap" sunnies. My doctor told me that those did more harm than good so I try to stick to some type of them (not necessary brands, you just have to make sure that they will protect you the right way depending of your needs). But then maybe you live in a place where they aren't that much needed (although my doctor likes to remind me that just like sunscreen, sunglasses aren't only to be used when it is sunny). Also it seems like you do have a good grasp on how expensive it is and what it means to you so I don't think you will be careless with them

Carolina: welcome back ! I need to take a look at your pinterest

Barbara: I think I commented somewhere asking for what you were looking for because it doesn't come up in my app. But now that I have a laptop I think I can see the "description" bit.

RGO: I wanted to look for skirts for you but I have no idea what looks good on pear shape. Could you please help?

Me: I have a huge wedding coming up in early September and I need two dresses (or one if you can make it ok) + en engagement dinner outfit.. I think I can manage for the e-dinner and see with the 2 "dressy" skirts I have left (knee length dark grey pencil skirt and one white knee length as well with buttons on the front) and just pick whatever tops I liked on pinterest. I found a dress last night and I absolutely loved it. My mum said it was fab but my fiance thinks it's too much.. because of the fact that it is too much "out there". I really don't think so. The wedding crowd will be very mixed but it will be quite a laid back affair with a lots of artists mixing with the usual banker/doctors/consultants. I think he just spends too much time with boring bankers & wife So if you could help me on that one, that would be great I have set up a recommendation board just for this. Since I am still learning and developing my style, I think I want to try and see what I like first.. if it makes sense

Ta-Ta: I have not been invited to pin on your recommendation board

Last edited by EvaH; 09-04-2013 at 05:45 AM.

09-04-2013
front row

I forgot to add that once I go back to London, I will take back the metallic lanvin flats and just keep the black ones. Yesterday I found some red leather lanvin flats and blue leather ankle ones I absolutely love. Now, I am trying to be reasonable and not buy the last pair of the ankle blue ones in my size on farfetch but it is hard.. I think I will be very disappointed if they sell out.. So I might just go ahead and get them.. I don't know.. I think they would work beautifully with what I have and what I am planning to get..
Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe