How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

09-04-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Ta-Ta: I have not been invited to pin on your recommendation board
au contraire, you most certainly were I was more under the impression you had not accepted. I will send another one (I should say, if I can ... I had removed those who hadn't accepted/declined, and I don't know how to reverse that ).

If anyone else wants one, let me know ... I don't want to clutter up your page if you're not interested in the recommendations part.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 09-04-2013 at 09:23 AM.

09-04-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Barbara: I think I commented somewhere asking for what you were looking for because it doesn't come up in my app. But now that I have a laptop I think I can see the "description" bit.
I think I only added it after that, don't worry

About "low on stock" things: I understand the pressure (I think we all do!), but I am trying to ponder it more... blue shoes don't seem super versatile to me, because there's so many shades of blue and they may not always look right - of course, ymmv on this one and they might just be perfect with your blues. I don't really wear blue so I might be being biased on this one!

One of the dresses I'm interested in is also on low stock right now (and it's just been further reduced). It's a black one from Oasis that I have on my pinterest wishlist that seems pretty versatile. I want to own more dresses (they're usually a difficult fit on me due to my height and hips) and I like the aesthetics of black dresses. I own one, but it's not very versatile, more formal.

I'll also be on the lookout for a white tee these days. Didn't get my birthday present from my mother yet, sadly.

OH! And Fewormany, please PM me too

Last edited by barbaraaa; 09-04-2013 at 09:27 AM.

09-04-2013
Power to the 99%

^ The dress seems a tad bit short ... but maybe it will be longer on you? Then again you may have more curves than the model--I think we all do

09-04-2013
front row

Indeed it does. The model is 1,5'' taller than me, and wears three sizes smaller... I keep hoping that brands adjust make bigger sizes "taller" too, but that seems rare, which is why I'm still pondering.

09-04-2013
Power to the 99%

^ Yes, there is some adjustment ... suggest emailing & getting them to measure for you.

09-04-2013
front row

^ That was amazing advice. I googled for that info before contacting anyone. On my size, the dress woul be 35''. Too short for me, so I'll pass

09-04-2013
trendsetter

Barbaraaa, I feel you with this length issue, I have the same one. I am 6 ft (182 cm) tall and being a size UK6/XS makes it really difficult to find a mini skirt/dress (I prefer shorter leghts on me though) that is not TOO short for me. I really hate that, so unfomfortable and awkward.
But I suggest you to look at the size guide on the official website, measurements there are more accurate.

I had a great day today, just came from the FW which was magnificent and discovered 'my' McQueen sandals are 20 % discounted from now on (for one week), so I will make an order soon.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 09-04-2013 at 05:45 PM.

09-04-2013
Power to the 99%

^ just came here to tell you about that 20%

09-04-2013
trendsetter

Very nice of you, thanks! I think they are meant to be mine. ˆ-ˆ

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

09-04-2013
Power to the 99%

I was looking through a back issue of Vogue, and came across an essay by Betty Fussell in which she describes a Claire McCardell dress she had for 30(!!) years ... thought you guys would be interested.

Quote:
It was two or three years [after she gave her first dinner party as a married woman in 1949] before I could afford my first and only Claire McCardell dress, even though her clothes were relatively affordable because she used cotton instead of satin and silk.... The one I bought in 1953 was of crinkled black cotton georgette, cool because cotton breathed, practical because black conceals stains, drip-dryable because the crinkles were permanent. And boy, was it glamorous. The top was designed as two separate pieces, which you crossed when you put your head in between them, so that the dress had a Grecian-drapery effect with bare shoulders and a loosely-gathered skirt. I traveled in that dress for the next 30 years. It packed like a handkerchief, shook itself out, and was instantly ready for any scene, from a dingy London pub to the Parthenon. I would still be wearing that dress had it not, over the decades, faded to gray, marred by an occasional stain and unmendable tear. But it was the kind of dress that when it died you wanted to bury it, it carried so much of your life in its fabric.

10-04-2013
tfs star

Ugh I love that, that is my beige Zucca dress.

Non-wrinklable, super-fast drip-dry, flattering, eccentricly timeless over decades, can go from casual to formal, worn all-year round, durable. I always put her in my carry-on luggage because I wouldn't be able to bear it on the off chance that my suitcase gets lost. It's been going for 16 years strong.

I hear Issey Miyake's Pleats Please is very good in that sense, but it looks so dated and not sure if it's flattering...

10-04-2013
backstage pass

Mini skirts: Being very petite I always buy mini skirts because anything else is far too long on my legs

Welcome to everyone who's joined us lately! I'm sorry if I don't always respond to all the comments. There is so much going on here lately that is simply difficult to read through everything.

Shopping: I recently felt pretty good with my wardrobe but suddenly I get that "I have nothing to wear" panic. Spring seems to be finally arriving here and I feel I urgently need more spring/summer tops. I have already been wearing my new Philipp Lim sweater twice and I am glad I got something for transitional weather - but I do feel I need more blouses. Farfetch had free shipping for 24 hours right now and in a bit of a panic I added four great blouses and two t-shirts to my shopping bag. I already went to the check out when I realized that I didn't really want to spend all that money right now. We're going on another holiday in May and I want to be able to enjoy that one without feeling bad about my bank account. And I guess I will have something to wear, right? But gosh, it is difficult right now. I see how lovely things from my pinterest board get sold out and it does feel a bit bad not to be able to chose freely. And yet...

Do you know such panic moments and what do you do when you have them?

Last edited by RedandNavy; 10-04-2013 at 02:58 AM.

10-04-2013
front row

^ Why can't every piece of clothing be like that...

10-04-2013
front row

^ like the Claire McCardell dress, I meant. Not like pieces you love that then get sold out before you're ready to buy them...

10-04-2013
fashion insider

RedandNavy: I suffer from "low-in-stock"-panic attacks, yes Sometimes I can't even tell you about the item until it is mine, because I am afraid someone else might fall in love with it and take it from me I can feel my heart rate increasing and the adrenalin in my blood increasing just thinking about it... Gosh, I sound so paranoid I usually check if I can return the item without great cost and buy if I can... If I can't find a flaw on the item the screen I can usually find it in person. So you might have ended up with 1-2 blouses, not 4 blouses and 2 tops etc. However, you might not get a refund before your holiday

Breathing slowly and deeply also helps

April Item: I bought a 2009 Balenciaga black city with regular hardware last night. I awoke from a bad dream this morning, in which I had told the seller to cancel the purchase, and she had sold it to someone else... It took a moment before I was able to calm myself down.

Last edited by eizhowa; 10-04-2013 at 03:34 AM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe