How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

02-05-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
You're so funny.

Can't respond to all but LOVE the earrings, Betinapple, really lovely! And buying the bag you wanted for that long is a good decision no matter what.

I always get angry when my clothes are not handled well when dried, since usually doing laundry is not my task at home (but not for long anymore!), because everything gets wrinkled in a pile of clothes.
THX! I LOVE them as well. And I think I will purchase the bag. Just waiting to her from the seller about some details.

I had that excact problem when living with my parents. Now I, and I only do my laundry. My boyfriend is banned and whenever I go away for a weekend or on vacation without him he is given strict orders to only do his own if he must.

02-05-2013
fashion insider

Doing your own laundry is very important if you are more fond of your clothes than the people you live with... My family do not understand the importance of handwashing cashmere and wrapping it in a towel to dry it (I use two towels, actually. one below and one on top. Them I stomp the water out. It looks quite silly actually). My family believes in the power of the tumble dryer Maybe I'll be able to afford a dry cleaner like Ta-ta does when I am through with my studies and actually start earning money

I would get the bag too, Betina. I think it being on sale is a sign... As long as you don't settle for a size you will never squeeze into, of course!

03-05-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
Doing your own laundry is very important if you are more fond of your clothes than the people you live with... My family do not understand the importance of handwashing cashmere and wrapping it in a towel to dry it (I use two towels, actually. one below and one on top. Them I stomp the water out. It looks quite silly actually). My family believes in the power of the tumble dryer Maybe I'll be able to afford a dry cleaner like Ta-ta does when I am through with my studies and actually start earning money

I would get the bag too, Betina. I think it being on sale is a sign... As long as you don't settle for a size you will never squeeze into, of course!
I would love to see that I generally just steam my knitwear or hang them outside to get some air. I also think that the dry cleaners is somewhat expensive for my budget but I have a dress that needs to go. It is velvet and made of viscose and silk and although it has been maschine washed before I do not have the courage after I heard what happened with Twistelettes sweater.

The bag is actually not on sale but I found it in a used but really good condition (nearly ever worn). Unfortunately I thought it had a shoulder strap which I was planning to use, but this is a sligthly different model apperently so now I am not so sue what to do

03-05-2013
fashion insider

I would try to resist the urge to get it If I were you. If you need shoulder strap then then it isn't å bargain any konger...

03-05-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
I would try to resist the urge to get it If I were you. If you need shoulder strap then then it isn't å bargain any konger...
I do not need it but since I was planning on wearing it with the strap and like that look of it better I think I will pass and keep my vow of not shopping. Heres to hoping I can resist temptation

03-05-2013
front row

that's what I would do, betina - if you want to wear the bag with a shoulderstrap, and it doesn't have a shoulderstrap, this is not The Bag to break your non-shopping-vow for

about laundry, I usually wash my nice stuff on the cold water wool programme of my washing machine, which is a really gentle cycle. I always think I'm going to/should handwash stuff, but it's just too much hassle and the machine cycle is gentle enough... I can't imagine the time my grandmother had to spend on laundry alone, before she had a machine...

03-05-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistelette View Post
that's what I would do, betina - if you want to wear the bag with a shoulderstrap, and it doesn't have a shoulderstrap, this is not The Bag to break your non-shopping-vow for

about laundry, I usually wash my nice stuff on the cold water wool programme of my washing machine, which is a really gentle cycle. I always think I'm going to/should handwash stuff, but it's just too much hassle and the machine cycle is gentle enough... I can't imagine the time my grandmother had to spend on laundry alone, before she had a machine...
You are perfectl right

I guess I should be able to trust the washing machine but I dont. Fortunately my clothes rarely get dirty and since I am always cold and therefore will never sweat (well, can't put it any other way ) I rarely need to wash any of my delicate garnments, only my jersey tops, jeans and tops that goes underneath my other clothes.

Else I probably would have to turn to the machine at some point.

03-05-2013
Power to the 99%

Just stopped by to mention that lanvin.com is offering free next-day shipping right now ... I never pay for the fast shipping, but it's all they offer & I must say it is very nice It certainly does feel luxurious.

04-05-2013
front row

I finally decided on a bag that won't break my bank account. I will still probably wait a little more until I buy it. It's the one I pinned most recently, from Bimba y Lola's Arizona collection. It's not too expensive (and slightly discounted atm) and it's one of my favourite shapes of bags

05-05-2013
front row

barbaraaa - really nice bag and good size

everyone here seems to be really good at the french wardrobe, i try but i'm nowhere near buying just a few items... in the last months i've bought about 5 pieces a month...
but i guess my taste has changed a lot in the last years and i'm still a student.

since a year i keep cleaning my closet about every 2 months and there's always stuff i get rid of because i don't wear it anymore and just kept it because of memories or because the clothes were a gift... but it just takes up space.

i realized that i own about 25 dresses, most of them are summer dresses that i never/rarely wear, but still can't seem to part ways with.
there are maybe 4 i really love and wear all summer long.
then there's 7 black dresses ...
i maybe own 2 expensive dresses, the others are all h&m, zara, etc.
and i've collected them over 4-5 years i think.

and i keep getting sucked in by sales and end up not liking those items after 2 months... i try to stay away but sometimes ..

my spring/summer items i got so far are:

1 pair of black sandals
1 black embroidered dress
1 pair of espadrilles
1 white kimono style cardigan (cotton)

what i still want to get:
1 pair of nude sandals
1 white shirt dress (i still have a gift card for this one )
1 beige knitted cotton jumper

when i have those, my plan is to not buy anything for two months.

05-05-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcoffee View Post
barbaraaa - really nice bag and good size

everyone here seems to be really good at the french wardrobe, i try but i'm nowhere near buying just a few items... in the last months i've bought about 5 pieces a month...
but i guess my taste has changed a lot in the last years and i'm still a student.

since a year i keep cleaning my closet about every 2 months and there's always stuff i get rid of because i don't wear it anymore and just kept it because of memories or because the clothes were a gift... but it just takes up space.

i realized that i own about 25 dresses, most of them are summer dresses that i never/rarely wear, but still can't seem to part ways with.
there are maybe 4 i really love and wear all summer long.
then there's 7 black dresses ...
i maybe own 2 expensive dresses, the others are all h&m, zara, etc.
and i've collected them over 4-5 years i think.

and i keep getting sucked in by sales and end up not liking those items after 2 months... i try to stay away but sometimes ..

my spring/summer items i got so far are:

1 pair of black sandals
1 black embroidered dress
1 pair of espadrilles
1 white kimono style cardigan (cotton)

what i still want to get:
1 pair of nude sandals
1 white shirt dress (i still have a gift card for this one )
1 beige knitted cotton jumper

when i have those, my plan is to not buy anything for two months.
You know what? When I started doing 5pfw I was not able to limit myself to only one item a month but with time it has become natural for me to shop less items in a better quality. You just have to get used to it, I guess

Sounds like some great purchases and a white shirt dress sounds like a perfect basic.

05-05-2013
fashion insider

^Yes, to be able to do 5pfw you need a good foundation to build on. If you still have a lot of "holes" in your wardrobe buying so few items will be very challenging.

05-05-2013
Power to the 99%

^ I really think patience rather than a good foundation is the key. Virtually everyone has clothes they're wearing ... very few people reading this truly have 'nothing to wear,' and for some and perhaps most of those it's self-inflicted (i.e., they've gotten rid of everything). A major life change often does mean having to buy more, but not a huge amount more ... usually the addition of an additional 'season' can take care of it, if planned strategically (and in my view that is the only way to plan ).

05-05-2013
front row

I'm going to get these:

mangooutlet.com

They're almost sold out... Only available in my size. I wanted to have bought them when they were full price but I never found them in store. I guess it's a sign

05-05-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I really think patience rather than a good foundation is the key. Virtually everyone has clothes they're wearing ... very few people reading this truly have 'nothing to wear,' and for some and perhaps most of those it's self-inflicted (i.e., they've gotten rid of everything). A major life change often does mean having to buy more, but not a huge amount more ... usually the addition of an additional 'season' can take care of it, if planned strategically (and in my view that is the only way to plan ).
thanks for the advice/motivation!
yes, i wouldn't say i have nothing to wear, just that i wear little of what i own and i know what i'd like to replace with something else that's not in my wardrobe.
I just want to own pieces i love/fit very well/ and wear them to death but still have some variety.

I guess i'll have to start planning more carefully
Posted via Mobile Device

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe