How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

05-05-2013
Power to the 99%

^ Maybe you can try what Barbara did, and post things you have that you need ideas for wearing on Pinterest?

06-05-2013
front row

I'll try and do that, will take some time though
Posted via Mobile Device

06-05-2013
front row

It did take me a while too, but it was worth it I got great advice!

06-05-2013
front row

so... I took another look at the studio pollini sandals/espadrilles I got from yoox, and decided they're going back as well. I like them, but I don't love them. with all the shoes I love, they make outfits so much stronger, and I don't get that vibe from these sandals. vibes man, vibes... they are pretty though, I am sure they will give someone else that vibe, just not me I also cleared out my closet, putting away the wintery winter stuff and taking out all my summer pieces - trying them all on to see if they still work. I got rid of a few items, re-discovered a few items... I will make time one of these days to make a list of all the items in my 'summer wardrobe', to see if there is anything I need to add to make it work better. I have a feeling there's a bit of a 'many nice pieces, but not enough pieces that go together' theme going on... this, incidentally, is/was the biggest reason for me to start joining in with this thread and method of shopping. I needed to think more in terms of outfits, not just in terms of pieces. I feel that with my winter wardrobe, I'm pretty much there, but my summer wardrobe might benefit from some more work. could be as simple as adding a cardigan and a skirt, though. I'll report back

06-05-2013
front row

I am just coming back from Italy and as usual I did quite some shopping while on holiday. I bought a burberry trench, the black fendi 2jours and one pair of plain gold earring studs. Super happy with my purchases!! I really needed that trench and as red said I might as well buy the one I always wanted. The earrings will compliment nicely and the bag is for work! My next purchase should be next September in Milan ! I will probably go for a long wool or cashmere cardigan and a pair of wool trousers
I am sorry I did not reply to all the comments as I was leaving for the week-end but I wil catch up
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by EvaH; 06-05-2013 at 06:28 PM.

06-05-2013
trendsetter

^ That's great! I know that you were longing for a trench (I find it a bit funny you didn't buy it in London, where you are based. Btw, is Burberry cheaper in UK than elsewhere?) and a bag, I'm sure you will get a lot of wears from these two items, such a classics.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 06-05-2013 at 06:56 PM.

06-05-2013
Power to the 99%

Just stopped by to say that tonight I got home to find both my PJs and blouse waiting for me. The PJs fit as expected, but sadly the blouse does not and must go back. I really need the next size, which is not available. There is not enough room at the bust ... I can put it on, and it looks fine in front, but then it pulls across the back & is not a good look. I just saw a woman at the grocery store about a week ago with this fit issue and thought, Ummm ... ??? I couldn't wear it without something layered over it, which is not how I want to wear it. I also tried it with a cardigan just to see, and it doesn't lie well with something over it.

I'm surprised, because the Dolce leopard cardigan I tried on in the same size was extremely roomy in the bust, leading me to believe they were geared toward an 'enhanced' silhouette

So back it goes. I may need to look for Lanvin in leopard, since it is cut so much better for me. I may possibly get a pair of shoes for fall that I've had my eye on instead ...

betina, I did try it on with the skirt & shoes we discussed

06-05-2013
Power to the 99%

Interesting what you say about outfits, twistelette. I don't feel like I think about that, but I guess actually it's second nature. I will say that I never buy something without thinking what I can wear it with, and if there's nothing ... well, I can't remember the last time I did that. It is really rare for me, even over say a 20 year period, to buy something and not wear it even once. The one time that happened, I bought the blouse (on sale ...) knowing I had nothing to wear it with. I don't think I've ever allowed that to happen again, so in that sense, I suppose it was money well spent

We never did get back to that discussion of perfection I think it exists but is elusive, and then it doesn't last Like you may find the perfect shoes, but then they will inevitably get scuffed. Clothes are to be used, to be worn, and in that process, whatever perfection may once have existed will no longer. So, you might as well find beauty in imperfection Which I totally do. Any time I see someone looking perfect, honestly I find it at least a bit unnerving, and I kind of tend to assume the person has self-esteem issues that are resulting in spending that much time on perfecting their appearance.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 06-05-2013 at 09:45 PM.

07-05-2013
front row

ah, perfection it depends on how you define perfection, I guess - and the perfection of 'the perfect pair of pants' might also be different from the perfection of the perfect love. still, the thing with perfection, I think, is that it is so undefined. you have a vague inkling of the perfect x, how it could be even better than what you can imagine, somewhere just over the horizon where you can *almost* see but not quite. if you keep searching and searching for the perfect something - and if you believe only the perfect will 'count' - it will be hard to be happy with what is here right now. not that you always need to be happy or that you should be happy with something that is clearly not right, just because it is here now. but I do strive to be happy as much as possible, and to feel as much of a connection with the things around me that are good. to put it in a different way: if you keep searching for, say, the perfect trench, that timeless perfect thing, you will most likely find flaw with every trench that you meet. if you decide that good enough will do, and still set your standards high, you will most likely find a trench that is fantastic. what you say about shoes getting scuffed and clothing showing signs of being worn, is a really interesting point as well. though for me, that is more about being polished than about perfection. for me, it is an aesthetic preference, I don't like looking too polished, and I find the look of people who don't look polished infinitely more interesting than the look of those who do.

07-05-2013
tfs star

In my mind, much of the "french chic" charm is that things aren't perfect. Something should be a little off

EvaH: Wow! Those buys are great! Hope you will LOVE your trench and get a lot of wear out of it!

I actually e-mailed Burberry yesterday asking if they offered removable wool linings (which I consider a must for me). I accidentally emailed the US shop, not the UK one, but I guess if they have them in the UK too. I am considering getting one in January when I go to London I think it is similar to the one Eva pinned, length-wise, but in the color "honey".

07-05-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistelette View Post
to put it in a different way: if you keep searching for, say, the perfect trench, that timeless perfect thing, you will most likely find flaw with every trench that you meet. if you decide that good enough will do, and still set your standards high, you will most likely find a trench that is fantastic. what you say about shoes getting scuffed and clothing showing signs of being worn, is a really interesting point as well. though for me, that is more about being polished than about perfection.
Agree, I use the word 'perfect' quite often when describing material things I love. Could say it became the synonymous for 'fantastic', for what I have a pretty high standards for.

I am kind of obsessed with white these days, but not sure if I will buy anything since I didn't find anything 'perfect' :p yet. I am looking for a white summer dress for a few seasons now, but didn't came around the one I would be glad to buy. It's even too sheer, short, long, or wrong material (again, who would wear a synthetic dress that is meant to be worn in the high summer? ).
The other thing is I don't really need it, so that may be my main concern.
I also have an occasion in the next couple of weeks for which I was planning to wear a white shirt (under long waistcoat), but am almost sure it will be too warm for it, and I don't have any formal white top with short sleeves or without them. So in case it really will be too warm I will wear another, non-white one (assuming black&white ).
The third thing is I miss my white Adidas hi top sneakers, after 4-5 years they are destroyed.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

08-05-2013
front row

On perfection and wanting clothes to last forever: I don't try to find the *perfect* item. If there is something I don't like about it, I won't buy it - but I won't pass on most things I want/need. I want my clothing to last for a while, but I don't expect it to last forever. Bodies, tastes and circumstances change, accidents happen... and my clothing tends to last for quite a while. I didn't buy a single pair of jeans from 2006 to 2010, and I was wearing the two same pairs from H&M pretty much every day. I still have them, they still fit me, and they're still in good condition - but my body changed and they're not my best fit anymore.

And on a similar note, on perfect wardrobes: A few months ago I (and some of you) wrote here a list of what my "perfect wardrobe" would have. A few months after, I realize that I don't need and probably won't have some of those things, mainly dresses. I like the idea of dresses, I hate the way 90% of them fit me. Height, proportions - they're hard for me. I'll focus on separates from now on
There are also things I felt the need to own that weren't on that original list. To be honest, however, that list wasn't super pondered.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for an answer after a job interview I had on Monday. So I've been online window shopping for some new clothes to vamp up my working wardrobe... Haven't bought anything yet, however. Right now the bag is a priority And still waiting for those shoes to get here. I believe they will come by the end of the week.

Last edited by barbaraaa; 08-05-2013 at 07:47 AM.

08-05-2013
front row

exciting about the job interview, barbaraaa! I think it's a great idea to make the bag a priority. oh, and I forgot to say - EvaH, congratulations on your purchases, they all sound so good! and sorry to hear about the top, Ta-Ta, I hope the Lanvin is a better fit...

08-05-2013
front row

^ I am very excited for it, it would be a really good opportunity for me and my shoes just got here and they fit perfectly! Very comfortable as well.

08-05-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraaa View Post
On perfection and wanting clothes to last forever: I don't try to find the *perfect* item. If there is something I don't like about it, I won't buy it - but I won't pass on most things I want/need. I want my clothing to last for a while, but I don't expect it to last forever. Bodies, tastes and circumstances change, accidents happen... and my clothing tends to last for quite a while. I didn't buy a single pair of jeans from 2006 to 2010, and I was wearing the two same pairs from H&M pretty much every day. I still have them, they still fit me, and they're still in good condition - but my body changed and they're not my best fit anymore.

And on a similar note, on perfect wardrobes: A few months ago I (and some of you) wrote here a list of what my "perfect wardrobe" would have. A few months after, I realize that I don't need and probably won't have some of those things, mainly dresses. I like the idea of dresses, I hate the way 90% of them fit me. Height, proportions - they're hard for me. I'll focus on separates from now on
There are also things I felt the need to own that weren't on that original list. To be honest, however, that list wasn't super pondered.

Meanwhile, I'm waiting for an answer after a job interview I had on Monday. So I've been online window shopping for some new clothes to vamp up my working wardrobe... Haven't bought anything yet, however. Right now the bag is a priority And still waiting for those shoes to get here. I believe they will come by the end of the week.
Congrats on the interview - I will send you good karma

Funny about the "perfect wardrobe"-list since mine has been really helpful in seeing how far I've gotten and also to stay focused. I do not think I changed it in the mean time. I added a pair of nude flats, but somehow it seems like I do not need them.

Will get back later to answer all of the other posts (yay!) just wanted to say that I recieved the breton sweater that I got from Twistelette. It is perfect and I have been wearing it today, so now I can cross that of my list

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe