How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

27-05-2013
trendsetter

@Barbaraa: nice to hear that it worked out

@Eizhowa: that bag is so cute! Congrats. Sounds really nice about the shoes as well. Would you be kind enough to send me the link for them? Maybe I should get those for my June item if I will not be able to find the snake printed black ones in my size. I am not quite sure what I should make of the fact that I have given up in advance. I really do not feel like having to hunt them down.

27-05-2013
fashion icon

So I haven't written on this thread in a while, I didn't feel I had anything to add since I wasn't able to do any shopping for a few months while at college. But now that I'm home for the summer I'm finally in the process of working on my wardrobe and making changes. I had mentioned before that my parents offered to buy a nice handbag or pair of sunglasses for my birthday and I finally made my decision; I purchased a pair of Ray-Ban sunnies today. I thought it over for a bit and decided that I didn't have a need for a new purse but a nice pair of sunglasses would be good since my old one's broke after three years. Ta-Ta's advice about the sunglasses really helped me figure things out. I really love the classic shape and color of this pair, I wanted something that I wouldn't feel was dated in a few years. I mean, my mom had her first pair of Ray-Bans for 15 years before they finally broke!

Even though I hadn't been participating in the thread I was thinking things over and trying to sort things out on my own. I'm still looking for a few good skirts and a dress for the summer since I pretty much have no clothes that work for this season. A few nice tops would be great too. But I'm not going to worry too much about tops because I seem to have enough for right now. So far I haven't found skirts/dresses to my liking online or in the shops but I'm planning to go to the thrift shops later this week. Hopefully I'll have some luck there. I also found a pair of sandals from Nisolo (they look at bit like classic Huarache sandals) that I'd like to purchase soon. Anyone have any experience with this brand?

my photo (sorry if it's shoddy quality)

kaightshop.com

28-05-2013
front row

Yoninah: good to see you back! Great sunglasses, and I like those sandals. I have no experience with that brand though...

Eizhowa: that is one perfect wedding outfit. Great haggling on the purse

As for me, I've been laying low a little, both in posting here and in shopping/thinking about clothes. I've been mostly wearing old jeans, so as to be able to pop in the garden any time it's not raining for 15 minutes
Today, true spring weather has returned though, and I feel it's a good day to go check out some summer sandals. Still on the look...
I also de-cluttered my bag collection. Though the word 'collection' might make it sound grander than it is - there's a pile of tote bags, a thrifted navy leather purse, a COS purse in off-white canvas with metallic fiber - I'll take a picture some day, it's my favorite bag. And then a thrifted woven straw bag, a thrifted woven wool/fabric tote bag, and my A.P.C. denim beach tote. I stuffed all the totes into the woven bag (since that is more of a winter bag) for easy access without them cluttering up the hallway, and took out old receipts etc. Found back my favorite lipstick, and a key I thought I'd lost

I've been thinking about getting a good leather grown-up bag, I've seen some that I really like (most everything Ellen Truijen makes), but I'm not sure I really miss such a bag now that I don't have one yet... it would be an autumn purchase, so I have some time to think it over anyway...

28-05-2013
trendsetter

@Yoninah: welcome back! I really like that sunnies.

@Twistelette: I love my leather bags. My mulberry bayswater, my first "grown-up bag", is still probably my best purchase ever now, three years after I bought it. I love it. And it only looks better when it has been worn.

------

So funny thing happend. After I wrote my last post someone sent me a link for the pumps. At a shop based in the town I live in. Went and tried them on but did not buy them. Yet, at least.

I am really in doubt. I thought they were quite comfortable. A bit small around the pinky toes (not quite sure if that is the right term ) but very comfy compared to the pair I am using at the moment. But pumps is just never as comfortable on my feet as heeled boots or sandals.

Also, although I DO use pumps I am wondering wether my money would be spent better elsewhere on something I will wear more, but it is silly since I do need them and possibly would wear pumps more often, if I had a more comfortable pair.

28-05-2013
front row

aha, yes, easier to not contemplate buying something without exposure to it when you went on your shopping 'fast', did you make a deal with yourself about how long you'd try it? if the end is in sight, you can maybe put off getting the pumps until then, and see if you still like them in a couple weeks/month/?

as for me, I bought sandals classic lunch-break purchase, I'd seen them in the shop before and liked them - I tried them on, they fit, they look good, they're mine!
they're just simple summer sandals, by japanese label Koos. I got them in a warm grey/taupe colour. I still plan on getting some more dressed up sandals, but I've found nothing I really like yet. no rush.

28-05-2013
front row

^ oops! Koos is a Dutch label after all. I thought as much, since the name is super-Dutch, but I got confused by all the Japanes-y pictures on heir pinterest. They are very Japan-inspired indeed, I dig.

28-05-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistelette View Post
aha, yes, easier to not contemplate buying something without exposure to it when you went on your shopping 'fast', did you make a deal with yourself about how long you'd try it? if the end is in sight, you can maybe put off getting the pumps until then, and see if you still like them in a couple weeks/month/?

as for me, I bought sandals classic lunch-break purchase, I'd seen them in the shop before and liked them - I tried them on, they fit, they look good, they're mine!
they're just simple summer sandals, by japanese label Koos. I got them in a warm grey/taupe colour. I still plan on getting some more dressed up sandals, but I've found nothing I really like yet. no rush.
The deal was a month/through May. And of course May is not done before friday, but I have not bought anything since the 10th of April. You get where this is going?

After I wrote my post I realized how much I really wanted them, so I went and got them and I am very happy about it. I am so glad that I was able to get them at a local store, and they were also marked down. So now I can cross those of the list.

I wish I would be as good at making snap decissions as you appear to be Like the sandals, japanese or not. Hope that a dressier pair will appear as well - in time. Sounds nice to not be in a rush. I love that feeling.

28-05-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
I wish I would be as good at making snap decissions as you appear to be Like the sandals, japanese or not. Hope that a dressier pair will appear as well - in time. Sounds nice to not be in a rush. I love that feeling.
I love that feeling as well
And trust me, there is months and months of mulling it over, before the snap decision is made. I've gotten better at the 'snap' part through the years, especially since I've been with my partner. Together, we are a Force Of Snap to be reckoned with We share a very similar taste, and know what we like and don't like. We bought our sofa in exactly five minutes - but before those five minutes, there had been months of looking at several options that were all just not exactly right, and thinking about what kind of sofa would be right for our living room.

28-05-2013
Power to the 99%

^ Hilarious ... love the Force of Snap Congrats, betina--great shoes (and great someone with the link!).

28-05-2013
trendsetter

@Twistelette: I am getting better but I would not call myself good excactly :p I am bad at making decissions in general, even small ones like wether I am hungry and what kind of chocolate I want.

I would love to have just a little bit of snappiness :p

@Ta-ta: Thx! And yes - thank you, whom ever you are. So happy about them! Wish I could wear them NOW but unfortunately I am not facing the world again until friday at the earliest.

28-05-2013
Power to the 99%

^ I wish I could share some snap ... I have it in abundance

28-05-2013
tfs star

Betina: Not sure which chocolate to get? Foolproof plan: Get Both. Never made me sad

28-05-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I wish I could share some snap ... I have it in abundance
Please share

On the bright side I end up making the right decisisson almost every time. That something, I guess.

29-05-2013
front row

I made my purchases for May, finally! I hadn't bought anything this month yet, though I did really like this white waistcoat in Zara, it was really beautiful ... I finally decided against it, because in the summer it will probably be too hot for it (it's quite thick) and I wouldn't end up wearing it. It was beautiful though!

What I ended up purchasing was a pair of boyfriend jeans from ASOS, which I had pondered for a while. I don't normally wear jeans, but I forgot to mention in my previous post that I managed to kick my habit of only wearing skirts! I am now the proud owner of two pairs of trousers, which I actually wear a lot, and I love them. So I decided to order the jeans, if they don't look good on me, they will go back.

Also got a denim shirt from ASOS as recommended by Betina, and I agree with her - it's very versatile. I think I will wear it a lot, as I did my previous ones (they both bit the dust recently).

Also got a pair of long denim shorts, which I really really like and hope they will fit me. I don't feel confident enough to wear shorter shorts, and I think these are easier to dress up. I plan on pairing them with a blouse and boyfriend blazer, I think it will look great.

I got two jewelry items, a pair of turquoise earrings (which will add a pop of colour) and some rings, that can be worn on the upper part of the finer (I love that look).

Then I might get two sheer blouses to wear in the summer. You may wonder why I'm shopping so much, but I've decluttered my wardrobe and not much has stayed, plus my weight has shifted and a lot of my favourite clothes don't look so good on me anymore. But that's okay!

What I really need now is a pair of summer shoes, possibly one that can transition from day to night, because I really don't want to get two pairs. I would love a nice pair of wedges, but I have yet to find some that I like. If you have any recommendations, please send them my way.

29-05-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
I made my purchases for May, finally! I hadn't bought anything this month yet, though I did really like this white waistcoat in Zara, it was really beautiful ... I finally decided against it, because in the summer it will probably be too hot for it (it's quite thick) and I wouldn't end up wearing it. It was beautiful though!

What I ended up purchasing was a pair of boyfriend jeans from ASOS, which I had pondered for a while. I don't normally wear jeans, but I forgot to mention in my previous post that I managed to kick my habit of only wearing skirts! I am now the proud owner of two pairs of trousers, which I actually wear a lot, and I love them. So I decided to order the jeans, if they don't look good on me, they will go back.

Also got a denim shirt from ASOS as recommended by Betina, and I agree with her - it's very versatile. I think I will wear it a lot, as I did my previous ones (they both bit the dust recently).

Also got a pair of long denim shorts, which I really really like and hope they will fit me. I don't feel confident enough to wear shorter shorts, and I think these are easier to dress up. I plan on pairing them with a blouse and boyfriend blazer, I think it will look great.

I got two jewelry items, a pair of turquoise earrings (which will add a pop of colour) and some rings, that can be worn on the upper part of the finer (I love that look).

Then I might get two sheer blouses to wear in the summer. You may wonder why I'm shopping so much, but I've decluttered my wardrobe and not much has stayed, plus my weight has shifted and a lot of my favourite clothes don't look so good on me anymore. But that's okay!

What I really need now is a pair of summer shoes, possibly one that can transition from day to night, because I really don't want to get two pairs. I would love a nice pair of wedges, but I have yet to find some that I like. If you have any recommendations, please send them my way.
Clever decission regarding the waistcoat. Some items will just not work no matter how badly you want them to.

Congrats on starting to wear trousers again! I am not good at doing that neither. I am really happy about my grey jeans though. Looking forward to hear how you like the boyfriend jeans. Think they will be very nice with a girly blouse and your leather vest.

Generally sounds like you made some good investments. Looking forward to hear how they turn out. And I do not think it is an issue purchasing more items at once as long as you stay focused.

What kind of shoes are you looking for? Sandals? Heeled? Flat? Please let me know and I will come up with a few ideas

------------------

Looking for boots for Juliette I managed to tempt myself, and I am now considering a pair of Isabel Marant Dicker-like boots. Same colour as the ones shown below or something taupe. I think they would look great with full skirts, e.g. worn with my white broderie anglaise skirt, bare legs and a denim shirt/sweater for summer and a tight dress and a long cardigan for winter.

My only concern is that I am not sure wether I find them to be all that classic. I know I will wear them - I could wear boots all the time. But will I find them to be nice when the hype ends? So, thats what I am pondering about ATM.

Pic via lesmads.de

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, 45, french, piece, wardrobe