How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

02-07-2013
trendsetter

^ I have fingers crosses for you, all of them. :

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ Do the Lacoste ones have a logo on them? I think we have a Lacoste store here that I've never been in ...
Unfortunately they do, but often so small they are hardly recognizable. My hair is covering it so I don't mind.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

03-07-2013
front row

Eizohwa, keep us posted with the situation !

Excel, is really useful to me in all areas of my life. This is what happens when you are engaged to a banker. We use it for everything: fr grocery shopping, to clothes and of course budget and planning. I am a really OCD who needs to be in control & very organised and I found that it is the best tool for me
I hopefully will be able to print those info and attach them to my clothes cover. I hope it will help while moving and for storing purposes!

Barbara, fingers crossed for you ! Keep us posted on the job front & the shopping As for the temperature, I think I am sadly getting used to Britain. I now feel like 25C is warm Going back to Uni sounds like a good idea with this economy. Whatever you choose to do, I am sure it will work out

Basic T-shirt, I am a James Perse & Splendid fan. Cotton, soft, not see through, no weird cut for tanks. Just basic & nice

03-07-2013
front row

Sorry for the double post

Red and I fell in love with this Peter Pilotto dress and we were wondering for what kind of occasion (& how) we could wear it... At first, I pinned it for a wedding and realised that albeit I am shorter than the model, 84cm is still too short for me and I might receive very funny looks so it is a no.. Then I considered beach parties/sea front restaurants or daily errands with cute sandals.. I also thought of the biker jacket + tights + boots but I love the neckline too much to hide it..

Any thoughts?
Credit: Forward by Elise Walker

03-07-2013
backstage pass

EvaH: I love love love the Pilotto dress! So cute! But unfortunatelly there are hardly any seaside restaurants in Switzerland It's the kind of dress that I probably wouldn't really wear much in my climate and surroundings. It's super cute though if you actually go to seaside parties regularly

03-07-2013
front row

Thank you Jinadaze and Eva Lets hope for the best

That dress is lovely. While you don't have a lot of summer going on in London (again about weather: I find 25ºC hot, but tolerable. Lately - and here in the summer, in general - it has been on the 35-40ºC category), I am guessing it might still be wearable? And you could indeed wear it with a jacket... and keep the jacket open so the neckline and all that would still be on display? Very cute for daily errands too.

03-07-2013
rising star

eizhowa Yes, the striped top I mentioned is actually on sale! I'm really considering getting it because I know I'd wear it a ton in the colder months, but I'll have to wait and see. Thankfully, my birthday is in August, so it might end up as a birthday present. I do quite like sheer tees, though. Oh, and such bad customer service!

fashionista-ta Thank you very much for mentioning that, it made me rethink my purchase. I wish I could see the tees somewhere in person, but at the moment it's impossible. The problem is also that the one I picked is white, and those really don't hold up so well, and I don't want to replace it after just a few months of wear ... I am looking for a less expensive alternative for white tees, but am at a loss - I cannot find anything!

Jina Thanks so much for the recommendation! I will check those out next time I'm in town. Oh, and I saw that you found the dress - isn't it lovely? Such a perfect summer piece!

barbaraaa All my fingers are crossed for you! And please keep us updated!

EvaH Thank you for the rec about the basic tees! I've been looking into Splendid, too. Also wanted to ask you, if I remember correctly you have a Kain tee? Are you happy with it? By the way, the dress you posted is gorgeous, I would wear it in a heartbeat. I say get it if the climate allows you to wear it.

03-07-2013
front row

I think when it comes to basic tees (and especially in white - personally, I'm hazard-prone), one should most of all invest in the cut. Of course the material is important, but one can find well put-together cotton or viscose tees in the high street. Tees are either something one wears a lot (and thus will wear out faster, regardless of the brand/price it cost) or very seldom on casual days off (in which case I also don't see why they should be investment pieces). I find white garments will get stained/discoloured/yellow somewhat fast... Some blacks will also get discoloured (that happened to most of my canvas sneakers). I think tees are in general the most "disposable" items, rather than investment - that quality matters way more in a jumper, for example.

(and thank you! I'll definitely tell whenever I have good news)

03-07-2013
front row

Juliette, I love my Kain long sleeve t-shirt and all my Zoe Karssen. Too bad I haven't found any "plain" tees from her. I would definitely recommend both brands, I really think they do nice & unfussy basics. I haven't had it for a long time but so far, so good. Very flattering cut too I think that will be alright with you but Kain actually do a lot of modal basics so some are quite sheer..
As for Splendid, again go for it if you are considering it ! I got some basics from them that I did not pin, 2 basic short sleeves cotton tees one white and one black.

Barbara, I must agree with you. My personal limit for very plain t-shirt is 50£ max. I prefer to invest more in casual top or jumper/sweater (my addiction ). And just like you I will definitely look more closely at the cut/neckline/fit than the composition. I am not really a t-shirt girl and I plan to use those as "undergarment" or layers. If worn alone it will probably be for a truly relaxed look! That's why got most of my plain/basics from Zara! (+ the fact that they are not sheer and are available in tons of cute colors )

The dress, ladies you are a terrible influence I will let it rest for awhile, maybe it will get sold out and the "problem" will be solved

03-07-2013
backstage pass

Here are the two items I got from the NAP "further reductions" today. The sweater has been on my wish list forever, you might notice on pinterest that I have pinned it months ago. I had secretly hoped it wasn't a mainstream style and that it would make it to 70% off - and so it did! It's Jonathan Saunders, I love that guys collection but never owned anything by him before.

The earrings are nothing really fancy, but they fit in perfectly. They are from Rosantica.

So all in all I bought this spring / summer:
  • Two sweaters with prints
  • A pair of earrings
  • Two long sleeved blouses
  • A pair of loafers
  • A denim jacket
  • A summer dress
  • A pair of blue Acne Pistols

That makes nine items if I include the jewelry. I'm fine with that

I don't plan to shop anymore this season, except maybe a short sleeved blouse which would be more of a spring / summer item. But no more sales shopping now, I've caught what I really wanted I'll start making lists for fall / winter soon.

Regarding tees: I agree this is not an item to spend on. I bought mine recently at petit bateau but somehow it still feels like I'm searching for the perfect tee. Never really found it.

Last edited by RedandNavy; 03-07-2013 at 10:45 AM.

03-07-2013
trendsetter

Eva, I actually logged on just to tell you I think that dress would be adorable for running errands/casualwear in the summer... It would be cute with flats and a cardigan/jacket imo.

03-07-2013
trendsetter

So much activity here these days. Very nice.

@Eva: I would like something not too structured, therefore I havne't been looking into the cambridge satchels. The A Wang bag looks nice but as far as I can tell it can not be worn across body? Thank you so much for all of your suggestions. How are you feeling these days? I love the PS bags and I will definetely give it a closer look.

Interesting thoughts on the Asia situation. I can see how you do not always have a choice but really I think it is a matter of prioritizing. And if you wont to be a responsible consumer but do not have a lot of money you can always thrift shop. That being said I still find that it is tricky to figure out what brands are good and which are bad. How do you tell?

I will get back to the rest of ya'll later

03-07-2013
trendsetter

@Eizhowa: I really love it as well! So many hands-on post. I will definetely try her season planning strathegics for fall. I've already got a pretty good idea as of what my uniform is going to be. The winter is long in Denmark as well and I have been wearing my wool breton sweater constantly the last week so nothing wrong in contemplating winter wear.

You are perfectly right about finding the perfect basic and being able to stick to them. Unfortunately I have not yet found the perfect ballet flat. I am not really happy with the ones I got from Bloch last fall. My achilles tendon act up after only wearing them a few hours. I think I will try Anniel the next time since I have been quite happy with the red ones. The danish brand Stylesnob makes ballet flats just perfect for my feet but they do not have a classic pair with a bow. Do you have any experience with the Repetto ones?

@Carolinab: sounds like you made yourself some great deals! I would love to see some pictures of that coat.

@Ta-ta: I often find a lot of interesting buttons on e-bay. Or on 80s blouses at the thrift shops - I have often considered buying a blouse just to steal the buttons.

@Fewormany: I like the thought of wearing new items and "making them your own" before buying more. Very interesting thought.

@Juliette: So great to hear that you are kicking the habit of shopping. I always feel very pleased whenever I come home from a shopping trip without buying anything. I used to brag about to my boyfriend until the day where he told me he would be more amazed had I bought something.

Did you get that dress? I think you should go for the stripe sweater ta-ta pinned if is available and you can afford it, since you have been eyeing it for a long time. Else I can recommend the Filippa K one or Day Birger et Mikkelsen (they've got one on sale currently). For a blazer I would look at Vero Moda's selection. My black blazer is from their brand. It is from 2008 and still going strong.

What basics is it that you are missing? I think you do have a lot of things that can be mixed and matched. That being said I can not have too many basics.

@Barbaraa: I am sending you good karma regarding that job. Please let us know how it turns out!

@Excel: I keep track of all of my purchases in excel. I've got different categories (home, beauty, maintenance, stockings and clothing - accesories included). I started doing this in January since I really wanna know how much money I spend on escpecially clothes during a year).

@Eva:
I think you could wear that dress with plenty of things: with sandals for hot summer days (in the city as well), with a cardigan and ballet flats for less hot days, with ancle boots and a leather jacket for fall.

@Red: so glad to hear that you are happy with your seasons. Unfortunately I do not see any picturws. I will have to check on pinterest.

-------

Greetings from Berlin. We have mostly been sightseeing which I found to be perfect and much more interesting than shopping anyhow. I did spend the day roaming the streets thought and surprisingly I spend nowhere near the amount I permitted myself. I guess the motivation saving up for a bag was supposed to be, finally kicked in. My only purchases has been a black quilt purse in leather and a lilac short sleeve sweater. I have been craving short sleeved sweaters due to their 50's/60s references and when I found this one that fits perfectly into my newly found colour scheme I had to get it. Both bought at Humana second hand (thanks for the tip, Twistelette). Also went to Primark to see what the fuss is about - I ended up buying some tights and a lipstick in a colour I have wanted to try for a long time - not a big surprise, I was quite sure I would not find any clothes there.

I also went to the Mulberry store to look at the Bayswater satchel. It was cute but a bit smaller than I thought. The SA also showed me the small willow (which I loved especially due to the zip of clutch, you were perfectly right, Ta-ta) but unfortunately it does not come in the shade of brown I want and if I am getting a black bag it has to have silver hardware. Finally I tried on the Alexa and I fell in love with it. Funny since it has never really spoken to me before.

Right now I am torn between the Alexa, the Bayswater satchel (both in oak) and a black one from leowullf. I am mostly contemplating the mulberry ones since I have wanted an oak bag for a long time and I have no clue how the quality of the leowulff bag is.

Sorry for the looooong post. Hope someone manages to read it

03-07-2013
trendsetter

^ This bag is really yummy, but you know I can't recommend you Alexa enough. And since you are lusting for a brown bag I think the one in oak would be a perfect option.
Have fun in Berlin!

Oh, and as you mentioned Humana; I always leave my clothes there, the ones I want to get rif of it of course. I find selling it too time consuming and not worth the hassle, plus I feel good if someone is able to get it for free ...but just this week I made a listing for four pieces that were too expensive but they don't fit, so I hope I will be able to sell them.
It's an irony that I planned to purchase a couple of items on the sales, after so much time of not buying anything and now I'm selling clothes. With London in my mind, that is.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 03-07-2013 at 08:06 PM.

03-07-2013
Power to the 99%

I cannot see any pix either, R&N.

Wrt good brands/bad brands, I read the fair trade thread here & avoid all brands that I know are doing bad stuff ... so no more Banana Republic & Gap for me (brands I have bought in the past and still have a few items in my closet). I don't know of any store with super cheap stuff that is doing the right thing ... and I know of many that aren't. IMO, the answer is either second-hand as you mentioned, betina, or stepping up the price point a bit. In this industry brands who are doing the right thing are hard to come by (a few artisanal Italian brands come to mind) ... I'm looking to avoid the worst offenders, support the artisanal brands when I can, and keep my consumption of all brands on the low side--and you already know how I do that

I don't think, though, that it's a matter of a couple dollars per item to make the difference between treating employees like so much chaff, burn up a few hundred because the doors are locked when the fire alarm is going off and people are ordered not to leave, 18-hour days, child labor, no problem ... and really treating people well, with healthcare, child care, reasonable hours, respect, education for children, etc. It's definitely more $$ than that.

Good luck, barbara

03-07-2013
rising star

EvaH That dress is gorgeous, it is the perfect summer dress, and you can wear it just like that or with a jacket!

Betina I would love to own the Alexa! I think it's the perfect bag and it'll also fit your style nicely. Personally, I don't find the Bayswater satchel very appealing, I'm not fond of the little handles AND strap. But I've never seen one in real life, so I'm only talking about what I see in pictures...
That black bag is very beautiful too, I love the different textures and the shape

barbara Good luck with your interview!

Hope you are doing well. Nice to see sale season is not a time to get out of control!
Here we are in sale season too. Yesterday I went to the dentist two hours earlier, so I decided too see some shops, but I entered one store and left immediatily...That means I don't need to buy for some time.
Since we are having a very "no winter" winter here (20° celcius today), yesterday I wore my flowered clutch and bring some color to my outfit. It can be worn as a crossbody, but if I carry too much weight it opens, so later I wore it as a clutch.
And there's a photo the coat!

I'm going to upload my pinterest board with some photos of what I bought recently

photos: my own
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1207.jpg (510.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1212.jpg (503.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1213.jpg (508.2 KB, 1 views)

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe