How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

05-07-2013
trendsetter

@Juliette: I spent money without much attention to what I bought, in the past. That is how I have learned to carefully consider every purchase.

If the scarf is around 200 euro couldn't you purchase it and still have some emergency funds? I understand the importance of having such and I have one myself from the savings my parents made for me through my childhood.

I would not use that funds for purchasing anything but an investment piece that I would own for many years to come, now that it is money from your grandmother.

Can you in any way save some money yourself? Then I probably would use Eizhowas strathegics.

@Eizhowa: I aggree with you regarding that blouse. Not a very nice way to treat ones costumers.

Regarding the bag, I really do not care wether other people will think it is a fake or not. If I like the bag it does not matter but really I have never seen a fake Alexa - or a real one, where I live.

The fake one (a black Stam) i bought via Trendsales (a danish alternate to ebay). I actually saw the bag IRL before purchasing it but I guess I did not pay enough attention. It was cheap but still a lot of money for something I have never worn and never will wear. Never making that mistake again.

-----

Shortly after writing my post yesterday regarding having to replace some basics I found some really cheap silk-slips on my favourite outlet online. I went ahead and purchased one in every colour (black, bownish-grey, super light grey) as they were only 30 euro in total - postage included. Looking forward to see how they turn out when they arrive. I have been wanting to invest in some cotton/silk basic tops for layering in the winter but I am hoping these will do the trick - and maybe I can wear the light grey one beneath sheer items.

05-07-2013
trendsetter

Betina, would you please wait for the pics for a couple of days since I was very sick today and spent almost entire day in bed? Of course I promise I'll take them.
When are you coming back from Berlin? I just saw today that Karl Lagerfed's store has been opened, would gladly take a look.

Other than that I'm really excited, I booked a summer course in August on Central Saint Martins today!
It was my dream to study there for years, but since I didn't plan to take a two years long postgraduate (it wouldn't make much sense since as graduate I have a similar degree to british Masters) so this was the ideal option for me.
I really can't wait since London is my favourite city and I'm seeing myself living there someday. Got the airline tickets too, now I just have to wait if my friend will be able to find a place to stay for me.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

05-07-2013
front row

jinadaze, so exciting! what will the course be about exactly? or is that a really silly question

05-07-2013
trendsetter

It's photography (Photography, Art and Architecture to be exact)!

Last edited by Jinadaze; 05-07-2013 at 03:53 PM.

05-07-2013
front row

nice, jin!

06-07-2013
tfs star

22 hours without a single post? I am having withdrawal symptoms Obviously I need a new Hobby...

--

That sounds so exciting, Jinadaze! Summer courses are awesome! Do you know anyone else who is attending? I once took a Summer course in Physics in Cambridge with my BF, and it was the second best "holiday" I ever had So many great memories, and so much new knowledge.

--

I went to the Wedding ceremony today (The party for non-relatives is on Monday). I was worried I would be under dresses because my Dress hits just above my knees, but I really needn't have worried. A lot of the girls wore shorter skirts than me (nothing indecent though). A few people actually turned up in skinny jeans and t-shirts, and short short denim shorts I guess as long as the bride doesn't mind, I shouldn't either. Trying not to judge, as Ta-ta said in the "What to wear to a wedding" thread

--

I am not having much luck when it comes to online shopping as of late... I received an email yesterday that said that my green dress (which I was planning to wear to the party Monday) had just been shipped. I bought the Express shipping option, but they used 9 working days to give the package to the post office... And they say it is my fault, because I didn't email them and tell them it was a "rush-order" I thought me buying Express shipping option would have made it clear that I needed it in a hurry... Luckily, I still have the other dress!

06-07-2013
tfs star

FW 13/14 Planning
Fine, I'll just write all the posts myself!:p

I have refined my Shopping list. I am hoping to fund all of it by selling off some unloved clothes.

• ACNE Alaska Scarf
  • J.CREW Linen Shirt
  • PORSELLI Flats
  • SAINT JAMES Breton
  • BELLA FREUD Sweater
  • Wool Coat (by?)

(I love lists)

I have also tried to set aside a certain amount of money for basics/small accessories. That way I won't feel like such a failure when I have to buy something not on the list. I have already stocked up on winter shoes, and sweaters so hopefully I can buy less next season. I am looking forward to seeing how it goes

Pictures from my Pinterest.

Last edited by eizhowa; 06-07-2013 at 04:11 PM.

06-07-2013
trendsetter

^ Are they kidding with that slow shipping? That would be a lot of time even if you had paid for the standard one I think.
It must be so annoying for you since you planned to wear it on Monday, but at least you have a plan B. I guess I would be so mad that I would just return the dress and demand a refund.

I love all the items you posted, only ballet flats seems a little loose (but on purpose I believe), how are they meant to be worn since they are so wide around the ankle?
Since I refuse the A/W season is coming I won't make any lists. Knowing I need a dark grey V-neck sweater and new ankle boots.

Regarding my Summer course; I'm going alone and don't know anybody who will participate yet. I hope I won't get lost. :p

Last edited by Jinadaze; 06-07-2013 at 07:03 PM.

06-07-2013
Power to the 99%

^ I think the little bow on the ballets is functional & cinches them up My own personal favorite is the detailed graphic of the WOOL COAT

Too funny about the Daisy Dukes at the wedding ... of all the inappropriate things I have seen, that one sounds like a real winner ...

Here's what I bought this season ...

• Lanvin ballets--cognac and navy
  • lingerie and PJs (just bought two pairs of summer PJ bottoms in floral prints)
  • Nicolas Kirkwood sandals
  • Elie Tahari white asymmetrical T
  • Dolce & Gabbana black/white polka dot pants
  • Lafayette 148 watermelon red top (also bought today watermelon red lipgloss to go with--MAC doesn't seem to have that color in lipstick)
Five key pieces and pretty major $$$. I am expecting a lighter fall shopping season as I don't feel like spending too much on my wardrobe right now ... no very specific plans yet.

I've noticed the Ts I wear at home have started to show some wear, so I probably need to address that at some point soon.

06-07-2013
front row

I thought about this today and realize I would make fewer fashion mistake if I returned to the smaller wardrobe approach I had when I was younger. I do not hold my breath though.

07-07-2013
front row

why not try it for a while, SabrinaNicole? it might also help to think about what type of 'mistakes' you have been making. are you buying things in materials that ok in the store, but just not comfy enough to wear all the time; are you buying things that go with nothing else; etc? welcome, by the way!

Eizhowa, another super weird shipping story! that's pretty nervy of them, I assume the fast shipping was more expensive already.
I like your list for autumn, especially the WOOL COAT

Ta-Ta, sounds like a good autumn plan.

as for me, I'm considering buying second-hand only for a period of time (with some exceptions, underwear etc.), perhaps six months or a year.

07-07-2013
front row

Jina I have yet to find a nice T-shirt at Zara & H&M, I did get some at Zara, they were Viscose and got ruined in a matter of weeks, which really upset me. If you see any nice tees, please let me know. By the way, massive congratulations on your study abroad programme, it sounds absolutely amazing - I'm jealous!

eizhowa Thank you for the great advice. I will try to fatten up the savings, yes! I do have a paycheck coming in soon, and also my birthday in August, so I will definitely get a few items then, though probably from my (so far non-existet) F/W list. Oh, and the color of the scarf - I'm leaning toward black with white skulls. Love your picks for fall by the way!

Betina Thank you! Yes, I will do as you suggested, I really think it's the best idea.

I am also having withdrawal symptoms, like eizhowa, when nobody is posting here, I love this thread so much! Well, I'll try to put together my F/W shopping list today and post it later.

07-07-2013
tfs star

Thanks, Ta-ta and Twistelette! I am really feeling that unstructured, monochrome and graphic coats are the way to go this season!

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I think the little bow on the ballets is functional & cinches them up My own personal favorite is the detailed graphic of the WOOL COAT

Too funny about the Daisy Dukes at the wedding ... of all the inappropriate things I have seen, that one sounds like a real winner ...
I think the laces are functional too. In a lot of the pictures I have seen the bow is undone, and why would people do that unless to adjust them?

I think (and hope) the Daisy Dukes only attended the ceremony, and not the family party. Makes it a little bit better

--

Juliette, I am looking forward to seeing your FW list/Plan. I think this will be your first FW season here? I think I have a good idea of how your summer style is (sort of flirty/feminine), and I am very interested to see how your style evolves into the FW season.

--

SabrinaNichole: I also think it is easier to be stylish with a smaller wardrobe. Easier said than done though! I am trying to upgrade my favorites and reduce my wardrobe size atm. Was your wardrobe considerably smaller before?

--

Jinadaze:
They did have a disclaimer on their site that said that they were very busy due to prom season, and that some items might be out of stock. I just assumed I would be notified sooner than 9 working days later... I won't return the dress (unless it is hideous) because getting a tax-refund is a real hassle...

--

I finally finished uploading my (working) wardrobe onto Pinterest. A lot of you are only following my "Stuff I wouldn't mind owning" board btw... I don't know if that is intentional or not :p

Last edited by eizhowa; 07-07-2013 at 04:17 PM.

07-07-2013
trendsetter

Oh, I completely understand. You, not them. :p Hope the dress will be as great as you imagined.
I just looked at your board and have to say you have a really impressive wardrobe with lots of basic/classic staples that can be dressed up or down, so I'm sure you are getting a lot of wear out of them all.
Also noticed that your style is pleasantly grown up for you age and think that will come in handy in terms of its development through years.

And I am always following all the boards.

Juliette, I would reccomend you just look for the most basic ones, of cotton and about 2-5 % elastane in it. They are probably not on sale, but I don't know for sure since it's been months since I was in store. Mainly those work best for me.

08-07-2013
trendsetter

@Jina: No worries - just saw the pictures, just what I was looking for - thanks!

I came back to Denmark Saturday but spent a night a my mom before returning home yesterday.

I saw the ads for the Karl Lagerfeld store but honestly I had no time Seemed pretty interesting though.

So exciting about your summer course. Do you photograph a lot? Where in London will you be staying?

@Eizhowa: so weird about that wedding. I would find it odd as well. But it seems like I am somewhat conservative regarding weddings in comparism to a lot of my friends.

What webshop is it with the dress? That is just plain rude I think. I would demand to have the difference in price between the regular shipping and the express shipping refunded since there is nothing express about it..

Very nice and focused AW list you've got. I will post mine later although I am considering making some alterations to it (removing some items that I can do without).

@Ta-ta:
any particular reason for not wanting to spend as much on your wardrobe for the upcoming season? I am having similar thoughts since I would like to spend some money on other things as well (vacation, savings) but since I have some rather expensive wishes (long wool cardigan, leather skirt etc.) I am not sure that this will be the season where it actually happens.

@Juliette: Just like Eizhowa I am looking forward to see your fall list!

@Twistelette:
quite an interesting experiment. How and why did you come up with that idea? Environmental regards?

-----

I am home! This week though I have got 43 hours of work ahead of me and a huge desire to spend some time with my boyfriend, since we have been apart for 10 days straight. I will be dropping by from one time to another.

I have a huge urge to minimalize my closet and I have a few more items that I am contemplating removing from my wardrobe - things I do not wear on a regular (enough) basis. When we moved into this apartment in October last year my clothes took up 1½ of the clothes racks. Now I have almost removed enough so that we can have a rack each.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe