How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

09-07-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
^I've had posts deleted because they were replies to posts that were removed. That's probably why... I think I usually get a message when that happens though.

However, I remember my (un-posted) answer: Thank you, Ta-ta! I hope the trousers will last and become a real wardrobe work horse
Yes, that is a reason for deletion ... but it isn't automatic. It is done manually, and only when the post no longer makes sense because the original is no longer there. However, your post is there. Would very much appreciate my deleted post being restored

10-07-2013
trendsetter

@Eva: Oh I haven't been accepted yet. I wont know until come August. I have applied to an undergraduate in social science hoping to end up with a postgraduate as well, in social science and history. At least that is the plan for now.

Thank you for the recommandations. I will look into it when we get a little closer to fall. I am not really into the boot though. I am looking for something that I do not yet have in my collection so I am thinking either something slightly western inspired or something with a higher, thinner heel. Not a stiletto heel though. Preferably the last.

Are you out of the hospital?

@Juliette: If you REALLY regret your purchases, can't you return them? That being said, I think everyone - well, at least me, slip from one time to another. My denim dress was not on my list but I have wanted one for a long time and I have worn it a lot already - and does it matter then? I do not think so. I do think though, that if the items you purchased are really bad quality you should return them. I can't imagine you buying something that bad though Don't beat yourself up. You have not been doing this for a long time yet, remember that.

@Ta-ta: Actually sounds rather interesting to me. Are you remodelling?

@Eizhowa:
Thank you, I will have a look at their selection! I have my eyes on one though, waiting for it to go on sale. It has been marked down in stores but not online yet and since I do not feel like spending that amount of money anyhow right now, I am waiting.

Such nice items you got. Those trousers are such a nice staple and I think it was wise not to spend a lot of money on a white blazer.

@Jina:
I will have a look! I love beautiful photographs. My boyfriend hates taking pictures of me and my clothes but I have a few girlfriends that are very good at it, so they help me taking pictures for my blog (and here). I also hate doing selfies although I am doing them with my camera but sometimes I find it an okay solution. What kind of camera do you have? My Nikon D3200 (and my previous D3100) do pretty good selfies with the timer.

------

These days I find myself wearing a uniform of jeans, soft shirts and ballet flats (heels when I'm going out). Maybe because it is so practical for those days where bare legs are not an option due to the kold wether and it is too hot to wear stockings. It is kind of funny since I usually only wear jeans a couple of times a month. I might have to add another pair of jeans since I currently wear the same ones over and over. I do not want to spend a lot on that part of my wardrobe right now since I have a feeling I will return to my black stockings and skirts come fall so I will begin be getting my old favourite jeans (black from the attic) and bring them back into rotation. They might need to be dyed though.

10-07-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
Barbaraaa, so great about the bag! I feel bags should be a little heavier, it seems the quality is so much better if the leather is thicker. Wear it well!
Thank you (and the others as well) it is indeed very good quality, very sturdy. Looks like a bag I can wear for life. My boyfriend really liked it as well, he kept pressing for me to take it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
barbara, is the price lower at the same place you bought it? If so, I think you can ask for an adjustment.
Unfortunately I bought it at ASOS and they have a strict policy on that... I've seen plenty of complaints in that sense and their answer is that they have sales all year round, so they can't justify doing an adjustment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
- A pair of perfect black trousers by Diane von Furstenberg. They were so beautiful I was jumping around the store They can even be turned up to make become a perfect Capri trouser. I have no idea why they were 70% off. At all.
Always great to find the perfect pair of trousers - and something that should not be passed up, imo The earrings are absolutely beautiful! Also I really laughed at your comment on Alaska/Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
I have applied to an undergraduate in social science hoping to end up with a postgraduate as well, in social science and history. At least that is the plan for now.

------

These days I find myself wearing a uniform of jeans, soft shirts and ballet flats (heels when I'm going out). Maybe because it is so practical for those days where bare legs are not an option due to the kold wether and it is too hot to wear stockings. It is kind of funny since I usually only wear jeans a couple of times a month. I might have to add another pair of jeans since I currently wear the same ones over and over. I do not want to spend a lot on that part of my wardrobe right now since I have a feeling I will return to my black stockings and skirts come fall so I will begin be getting my old favourite jeans (black from the attic) and bring them back into rotation. They might need to be dyed though.
Best of luck with your uni application!
And it's funny that you say that about the weather... it has been so unbearably hot in here!

10-07-2013
trendsetter

^ Same here, it's so hot and humid it causes random thunderstorms. I can only wear shorts and light sleeveless tees, looks like I'm going to spend this whole summer in the city..

About the bag: I was so excited when I checked the official The Leather Satchel Co. website, they have a wide range of sizes, options and customisations for their bags, they can be custom made too. And for a really reasonable price.
I may be a little slow but I really didn't know that. I was sold when I saw I can order a black one with golden hadware, I most definitely think I will do so, when buying myself a new one. Hopefully someday this year..
I mentioned before that I was considering The Cambridge Satchel last year, but after seeing it in person I changed my mind because it's absurdly stiff and I think it would not be comfortable to wear.

Betina, I have an Olympus PEN E-P1 ever since from 2009, with a regular, 17 mm pancake lens.
It was quite expensive back than but have to say it is satifying my needs. If I will ever be a real professional photographer I presume I won't have to buy the whole package of professional cameras, is that so?
And I'm sending you best wishes regarding your application too!

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

10-07-2013
front row

^ I think the Cambridges are more popular, despite being more recent and not half as customisable. I guess they have a better marketing... And yes, they are super customisable! I was very happy with the looks/size of the one I bought (I like silver, I like patent, I wanted it black and 14'', so...), but I did check the website and plenty of reviews - and even comparisons between satchel brands - and everyone says these are the best. It is a very structured bag - but not ridiculously stiff, I don't think.

11-07-2013
trendsetter

Thank you for your kind words Barbaraa and Jina.

The wether is really odd here. Tuesday I could were nothing more than a silk dress and sandals when I went out for dinner, yesterday it was so cold that I had to wear a blazer with my jeans and chiffon blouse.

My silk slips arrived yesterday and I am not quite sure wether to keep them. They are fine for what I ordered them for (layering during the winter) but the cut around the bust is not in any way flattering since it is somewhat narrow. It is not uncomfortable though and since they will be fine for wearing under sweaters, dresses etc. during the winter to keep warm I am thinking about keeping them since they were only 35$ and if I return them I will end up paying a total of 12$ in shipping and return fees.

11-07-2013
Power to the 99%

^ I think it's fine to have some pieces just for layering.

I'm not remodeling, just need to repair some damage, get rid of what's beyond repair, and correct a flaw in original construction ...

For fall, am thinking about pink shoes. I'd considered having some made, and need to find out if I can still have that done locally. I've gotten a ton of mileage out of my favorite red shoes ...

Also thinking about tops specifically for work, and perhaps adding another pair of trousers at some point.

12-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I think it's fine to have some pieces just for layering.

I'm not remodeling, just need to repair some damage, get rid of what's beyond repair, and correct a flaw in original construction ...

For fall, am thinking about pink shoes. I'd considered having some made, and need to find out if I can still have that done locally. I've gotten a ton of mileage out of my favorite red shoes ...

Also thinking about tops specifically for work, and perhaps adding another pair of trousers at some point.
That's what I decided and if they end up being totally impossible they are quite long so I can always reconstruct them in some way.

Sorry to hear about the damage - hope the result will be nice.

Pink shoes sounds lovely. I used to have a pair on my wishlist and have had it for years. Where do you have the opportunity to have some made? I'm jaleous!

If you do not mind me asking; what do you do and what kind of dress code is neccesary for your line of work?

------

I reworked my fall list. The slips should be enough for layering so I removed the silk/cotton tops and I am not quite into that striped Ganni dress I considered getting anyhow so now my list consists of:

- Long, grey cardigan
- Leather skirt
- Bouclé jacket

I might get the jacket before fall if it goes on sale though and I sure will get more than two items during the season but really I am looking to buy better items and spend less. Right now I am also mostly hookeed on the cheap(er) leather skirt since I think croc print might be at bit too much.

12-07-2013
front row

Eizohwa, you indeed hit gold ! Like I told you in the other thread, I love the earrings & trousers As for DvF, me not buying anything from them anymore has for only basis the fact that I am paranoid I never know if there is something dodgy behind the made in Asia/China so I try to not shop from brands who create their products there. But I just can't help myself with Duffy.. Made in China but I plan to order a cashmere sweater from them.. Although I love banjo & Mathilda (great quality from my point of view), I preferred to get things there in bulk (ie at least 2 items so I don't pay the shipping fee)

Juliette, I would say, take the items back if you know that somehow they don't work.. And eizohwa gave you a great idea, keep the tag on if you are unsure. I did that for all the clothes I purchased recently and I am so glad because I ended up returning a couple of things. No later than yesterday I returned a Duffy sweater which was beautiful on the model and ticked all my box but yet ended up absolutely dreadful when worn in the comfort of my home.. Don't beat yourself up, as E. said, you learn as you make mistakes (and god knows I did and still do ). *hugs*

Betina, best of luck with your application ! I understand being in search for a different pair of boots. I did my FW wishlist as well and decided to include mid/high heels brown knee length boots (to go with my tan bag & get a change - I only own black boots) + over the ankle "lined" boots as I don't have these particular styles. I also think a nice pair of boots with heels can really dress up an outfit and is really elegant and flattering Good luck on your quest
Indeed I am back home now, trying again all the pieces & pondering on what to keep or not. It is much better to be able to try them on instead of just looking (since I was sick, I really did not want for an accident to happen..) I already returned a couple of things!
Btw your FW list is so minimalist & focused, I am jealous

Jina, excited to see how your customised satchel turns out

Ta-ta, good luck with that ! My fiancé is moving home and I am the one taking care of it. To be honest meeting with the decorator & architect is quite fun But I don't think I would enjoy it as much if I had to do it/search alone instead of just giving my input so *hug* Pink shoes sound so good ! I am thinking some really bright pink with grey/white/yellow etc.. Can be really really nice ^^

Uniforms, I find them really comforting. To be honest, I am building my wardrobe around 5 and trying to make sure as I go along that each pieces must be paired at least 5 different ways. It is a lot of fun ! I am also happy to see that, as I grow, I am more and more complicated in my taste, this being able to not pin everything I see.. This allows me to be more experimental in term of colours & shape and give me some reassurance.

I am also discovering a love for bags & flats and I want to invest a bit more in gold jewellery. My only issue with bags so far is that my tastes are so "limited" that I will probably end up with 5-6 different type of bags but in several colours ^^" I already have 2 identical fendi, 2 identical YSL, 2 pelican - different size - and now I want 2 PS1 plouch as an alternative to the Delilah.. Not even mentioning how I am lusting after a PS13 in cobalt blue.. So I am asking myself if it is a good idea to buy the same bag in different colours or if I should just wait for that once a year "crush".. What do you think?

Anyway, my FW list ( I am not done with my sweater obsession )
- 3 sweaters: wool, angora, cashmere
- 3 pair of boots: brown ankle boots (Eizohwa ), brown length with heels & lined biker boots. I am hesitating between getting the Newbury in brown (which I could not find anywhere..) or the Maison Martin as I really wanted knee length with heels boots.. However I am wondering if, considers my colour palette (a lot of black/grey/white with some red/blue/yellow/orange/pink) getting those in black is not a better idea. In that case, I would only go for Newbury and the Rossi biker.. What do you think?
- 2 wool coats (one is more casual than the other)
- jewellery: 1 pair of hoop earrings, 1 bracelet
- 2 cardigans
- the cloaked jacket I have pinned since march
(2 PS1 plouch - maybe.. I am still undecided.. I might just end up only purchasing the brown one so I can alternate with my black small mulberry)
I am trying to incorporate some more yellow/orange/brown here and there and take a break from the black ^^

Last edited by EvaH; 12-07-2013 at 04:56 AM.

12-07-2013
front row

The plan is to get 1-3 items per month, depending if I keep all 3 boots and both bags. I am not going to bother with the leather jacket for now and will try instead to build some staples for winter.

Here are the pictures:
Credit: net a porter, the outnet, farfetch, proenza schouler

Last edited by EvaH; 12-07-2013 at 04:55 AM.

12-07-2013
fashion insider

Eva: Glad you liked the Rag and Bone boots They have so many yummy colors... If you can afford it, get all of the boots and send back the pair you liked the least. You want to get 2 out of 3, correct? I know that items fro theoutnet (like the R&B boots) can sell out before your eyes... You'll need willpower to return a pair though

Betina,I am also looking to spend less...

I did some calculations and realized that if I work (and earn) at the rate that I do now, I will lose large parts of my scholarship and loosing free money is completely unacceptable to me I'll save you all the long, angry rant about student finances Right now, I am not even sure if I can sell the stuff I intended to sell without loosing money

What I would like to get this season:
- Bella Freud Sweater
- Breton (Saint James)
- Wool coat.

I still haven't found a great coat, and if I don't find one, I'll keep looking next year...

Also, I won't pass up a great deal on a pair of Porselli flats, or other items on my old lists that I have postponed...

I got my work to pay for the DvF trousers btw

Last edited by eizhowa; 12-07-2013 at 05:15 AM.

12-07-2013
front row

What kind of wool coat are you looking for? My I am going to pin some on your Rec board for you
Edit: I plan to get those items from my wishlist between October and March btw. As those are the coldest months for me..

Last edited by EvaH; 12-07-2013 at 05:13 AM.

12-07-2013
fashion insider

Eva: (Continued...)In my opinion, the black boots are the harshest against your color palette. Do you really need black boots?

I am looking for a coat that is mid-thigh to just above the knees, in browns, greys or camels. I can also do textures like herringbone etc.. I want fitted shoulders, but otherwise I am not sure about the shape yet... Feel free to pin ideas My budget is about 300-500 usd, or 200- 300 gbp. Depends on how much I have to pay in customs fees Feel free to pin crazy, expensive stuff too. I can always look for something similar locally

Ta-ta: I love the idea of pink shoes!

Last edited by eizhowa; 12-07-2013 at 05:26 AM.

12-07-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
That's what I decided and if they end up being totally impossible they are quite long so I can always reconstruct them in some way.

Sorry to hear about the damage - hope the result will be nice.

Pink shoes sounds lovely. I used to have a pair on my wishlist and have had it for years. Where do you have the opportunity to have some made? I'm jaleous!

If you do not mind me asking; what do you do and what kind of dress code is neccesary for your line of work?

------

I reworked my fall list. The slips should be enough for layering so I removed the silk/cotton tops and I am not quite into that striped Ganni dress I considered getting anyhow so now my list consists of:

- Long, grey cardigan
- Leather skirt
- Bouclé jacket

I might get the jacket before fall if it goes on sale though and I sure will get more than two items during the season but really I am looking to buy better items and spend less. Right now I am also mostly hookeed on the cheap(er) leather skirt since I think croc print might be at bit too much.
A leather skirt sounds like something that will last you a long time ...

It turns out that I can no longer get the custom made shoes that were available before ... checked on it yesterday. So it will have to be off the rack I guess ... I did see a number of pink and other colorful options when I was looking around, but haven't seen anything quite right yet.

I work in IT ... lately I've gotten more responsibility ... we are business casual, but I'm looking to wear what will make me feel most comfortable & also be a bit authoritative. I have a few difficult people I have to deal with (don't we all ...), so ...

I had worn out that useful black crewneck sweater, so it would be good to have a replacement for that, and maybe build on it a little. What I'm liking to wear for work lately is trousers and higher-cut tops. And heels I like to make a statement with shoes, and it never hurts to be 4 inches taller

As far as trousers, I have a couple different black pairs, and the polka dots. Looking for something different yet interesting. Actually haven't looked yet, just thinking really There is a sea of ugly gray pants at work. It doesn't have to be ugly, but somehow ... maybe because the quality isn't good. Charcoal flannel is pretty, but really too heavy for the climate here. Thinking ...

12-07-2013
front row

I don't have an actual list - but for the next season I want/need:

- A gray sweater
- Another pair of trousers, maybe black, maybe navy
- Long sleeved shirts/blouses. One issue I've had along the years is that I don't have a lot of "mid-season" clothing, more summer or winter tops/sweaters.

I also have a pair of pink shoes that I rarely wear... high heels, bad pavement...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe