How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

12-07-2013
Power to the 99%

^ The nice thing about transitional items is, you don't wear them that much, so they last a long time. I focused on them once or twice, and now I'm set ...

12-07-2013
tfs star

^Our pavements are often in the news, so I feel your pain. They are always saying that our pavements and roads are worse than in Albania, or some other less wealthy country. So few people live in Norway, making good roads is too expensive per person, or something like that. Thats why I don't wear much heels, anyway

Mid season clothing... I wore my wool sweater today at the latest...

Ta-ta:
I remember you mentioning these poor fitting grey trousers. Maybe unfortunate sagging etc. is more visible on grey trousers than black? Makes sense to me... I always feel so uncomfortable in poor fitting trousers. It is like you gain a dress-size when you put them on Nobody wants that feeling when they are getting ready to face the day...

12-07-2013
trendsetter

@Eva: Thank you I already have the ACNE pistol boot and the MDK boot so I can manage but you are perfectly right, a boot with a higher heel will make for a more elegant look and therefore such a pair will be a nice addition. I am going for an ancle boot though. For some reason I can not wear long boots. Does not feel right. Nice idea to buy brown boots for the brown bag! It will add something new to your look I guess.

Good to hear that you are out of the hospital, and congrats on returning some of the items! My wishlist have never been as short as now My SS12 list consisted of 10 items, I guess this means that I did a good job getting what I really wanted/needed.

I know you really got rid of a LOT but maybe you do not need to buy everything immediately. Why not start out with a pair of boots, one coat etc.? Then you can add more during the season or next year when you know what you need most. Just a suggestion - maybe I am silly. Btw, I love your colour scheme and the Ann Demeulemeester jacket.

@Eizhowa: Sigh. However, are you sure the income you get from selling stuff counts in that matter?

Good luck on finding a coat - I find that sooo difficult but I am looking forward to seeing what you end up buying!

@Ta-ta: indeed it will but I think the croc printed one might be too much worn with my snake printed pumps and also I am not sure that I want to pay the 350+ dollar, that the croc printed might end up costing although leather lasts a looong time. I think it is a bit risky since, although I have loved leather skirt for many years now, I do not consider it a classic.

Bummer about the shoes. I bet you will find a nice pair though. I will pin it if I come across some.

Sounds like you dress the way I would if I had a real "grown-up job" Sounds very simple and chic. Maybe another pair of printed pants of some sort would be nice? As I recall most of your tops are in solids, right?

12-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
^Our pavements are often in the news, so I feel your pain. They are always saying that our pavements and roads are worse than in Albania, or some other less wealthy country. So few people live in Norway, making good roads is too expensive per person, or something like that. Thats why I don't wear much heels, anyway

Mid season clothing... I wore my wool sweater today at the latest...

Ta-ta:
I remember you mentioning these poor fitting grey trousers. Maybe unfortunate sagging etc. is more visible on grey trousers than black? Makes sense to me... I always feel so uncomfortable in poor fitting trousers. It is like you gain a dress-size when you put them on Nobody wants that feeling when they are getting ready to face the day...
I simply love how you put things

I wore my striped wool sweater last week in Berlin. Really I stopped considering wool as being for winter..

12-07-2013
tfs star

^Thank you, Betina!

I have stopped considering wool as a winter thing too. If you wear polyester in the summer time, you can feel just as hot, and the smell will be much much worse And if suddently there is a very cold breeze, the person in polyester will be freezing and the person in wool much more comfortable. This said by a person who wouldn't touch wool for the first 17 years of her life because it was "itchy"

I think wool as an all-year fabric was more common before, when there wasn't too many alternatives.

12-07-2013
trendsetter

Betina, I was looking for a perfect black leather skirt for years and in Sept. 2011 finally found it at River Island. I didn't knew about the brand's reputation back then, don't know if their quality got severely worse since, but have to say the quality of my skirt is really great. The leather is thick and the cut very flattering, it's also lined of course. Maybe you should check there comes Fall.

asos

EvaH, if I were you I would wait till the right bag comes across rather than buying one model in multiple colours. Sincer you don't really need that many bags buying the one you really love would be a much better option.
I will order mine at a later point this year since I have so many expenses right now.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

12-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
^Thank you, Betina!

I have stopped considering wool as a winter thing too. If you wear polyester in the summer time, you can feel just as hot, and the smell will be much much worse And if suddently there is a very cold breeze, the person in polyester will be freezing and the person in wool much more comfortable. This said by a person who wouldn't touch wool for the first 17 years of her life because it was "itchy"

I think wool as an all-year fabric was more common before, when there wasn't too many alternatives.
But really I guess wool is an all year round material since it has the same quality that silk does; it warms you when you're cold and is nice and easy to breath in when hot. At least that is how I feel and I think I read it somewhere as well.

12-07-2013
tfs star

^Makes sense too. Sheep don't wear linen at summer.

Last edited by eizhowa; 12-07-2013 at 02:27 PM.

12-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
^Makes sense too. Sheep don't wear linen at summer.
Amen to that.

And on another topic.

Although I have never had loads of beauty products and my daily routine consists of nothing or perfume and mascara, I have done a huge clean out during the past couple of months. Espcially among my nail polishes. I never wear anything but my Chanel polishes anyhow because they dry so fast so I have decided not to buy nail polishes from other brands from now on since the 10 polishes that I have from various other brands are never worn anyway.

Last edited by Betinapple; 12-07-2013 at 02:32 PM.

13-07-2013
trendsetter

BTW Eizhowa, you never got back to me around that thing with the scholarship. We have a similar law in Denmark but I think you are allowed to make a smaller amount of money each year without having to pay taxes of it, which would mean that they did not count in regards of scholarships neither, I guess.

Sorry for the OT.

13-07-2013
tfs star

Betina, I can earn quite a bit, but the total of the money earned and the scholarship an loan still adds up to a very low yearly salary considering I live in Norway. I work a minimum of 50% of a full position every month, and that is apparently too much. I will soon lose 85% of everything I earn, so I won't be working

I can however sell things from my wardrobe, as long as I don't sell them for more than I bought them for.

I have also cleaned out my nail polish collection. I now stick to OPI. The Chanel nail polished do look much better on shelf though They look very neat if you keep them in their original container. I actually considered switching brand just because I liked the containers...

13-07-2013
front row

Well, I guess my gray sweater might have appeared before I expected it to... buying it right now, as it is nicely discounted

cosstores

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ The nice thing about transitional items is, you don't wear them that much, so they last a long time. I focused on them once or twice, and now I'm set ...
And this is true I do wear some of those for layering too (like the Zara v-necks I always rave about, for example), but in here weather is pretty extreme, not a lot of "transition" going on.

Last edited by barbaraaa; 13-07-2013 at 08:26 AM.

13-07-2013
Power to the 99%

^ I like the drape of your sweater, barbara

Just stopped by to say that I ordered some shoes after looking through hundreds if not thousands of pairs ... not sure the size is right, though. Once again I have managed to find something that doesn't seem to be widely available, and they are already sold out of the 39, so I ordered 38.5. Hopefully that is the right size for me. Will post when I have the correct size in my hot little hands

Appreciate the offer to pin things for me, betina Will be interested to see what you find. You know I have this issue with print pickiness ... I did see some trousers that looked good to me (in an older magazine I was looking at) ... they were some kind of check/houndstooth/plaid in a combination of neutrals like tobacco/charcoal, something like that. Of course they were also a beautiful heavyish wool that I really can't justify buying, but ... I feel it should be possible to find something in a lighter wool. So I was thinking maybe a windowpane or something like that ... kind of a subtle plaid would be nice. Black with white windowpane would be nice. Or perhaps a solid tobacco ... I could go for that I think. I may check out Hugo Boss, see what they have.

Since I have been needing additional Ts to wear at home, it occurred to me this morning that I should pull some of the souvenir Ts I don't wear much out of my closet & just wear them. So I suited action to the thought & pulled three out this morning, so that problem is solved for the moment.

PS eizhowa, I think you are pretty safe on the more than you bought them for part--assuming you bought them new

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 13-07-2013 at 10:27 AM.

13-07-2013
tfs star

^Some of the things are still new, and some I would like to sell for more than what I paid (and I think it would still sell). Mostly vintage furs. I charge for having imported them:p

13-07-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ I like the drape of your sweater, barbara

Since I have been needing additional Ts to wear at home, it occurred to me this morning that I should pull some of the souvenir Ts I don't wear much out of my closet & just wear them. So I suited action to the thought & pulled three out this morning, so that problem is solved for the moment.
Thank you

I do that too with the t-shirts... promotional t-shirts really, I wear them for lounging and sleeping. My boyfriend's favourite is this Heineken t-shirt (which I'm actually wearing atm) that has something to do with music festivals... it reads "turn me on" and glows in the dark

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe