How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

05-06-2013
tfs star

Yes, Thank God for that dress. It is pretty much the only thing I have worn when it has been hot outside. It is that or staying inside

Unfortunately, I have very bad experiences with my local tailors. I asked them to make a boat neck on one of my dresses once (like the Audrey Hepburn wore in Sabrina), and even though I explained in detail, I got a deep crew neck. I ended up giving the dress to good-will. You can't undo damage like that... I think I will hold on to the trousers, though. Might find a better seamstress sometime in the future. I am not sure if having them taken in will be easy, either. They would have to take the entire hip/waist area in by two inches I can actually pull off the trouser without unzipping or unbuttoning them atm.

Have you pinned a picture of that dress anywhere, Betina? As it happens, I bought a maxi dress once When I was in Denmark. Never wore it when I got back. Norwegians are so much less fashionable. I felt so out of place wearing it at home.

Last edited by eizhowa; 05-06-2013 at 12:09 PM.

05-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
Yes, Thank God for that dress. It is pretty much the only thing I have worn when it has been hot outside. It is that or staying inside

Unfortunately, I have very bad experiences with my local tailors. I asked them to make a boat neck on one of my dresses once (like the Audrey Hepburn wore in Sabrina), and even though I explained in detail, I got a deep crew neck. I ended up giving the dress to good-will. You can't undo damage like that... I think I will hold on to the trousers, though. Might find a better seamstress sometime in the future. I am not sure if having them taken in will be easy, either. They would have to take the entire hip/waist area in by two inches I can actually pull off the trouser without unzipping or unbuttoning them atm.

Have you pinned a picture of that dress anywhere, Betina? As it happens, I bought a maxi dress once When I was in Denmark. Never wore it when I got back. Norwegians are so much less fashionable. I felt so out of place wearing it at home.
What about the Noa Noa dresses and blouses you've got? They look nice. I never find anything at Noa Noa so I am a bit envious.

I see about the trousers. Does not sound ideal. Eat something, woman!

I have not pinned it anywhere but I will put it on pinterest in a second. It looks really plain in the pictures though, but it has a beautiful back. That can be seen on this link

When I started wearing maxidresses about 5 years ago people thought I was crazy. The year after everyone was wearing them. You got to show them norwegians that maxidresses are the sh*t

05-06-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
What about the Noa Noa dresses and blouses you've got? They look nice. I never find anything at Noa Noa so I am a bit envious.

I see about the trousers. Does not sound ideal. Eat something, woman!

I have not pinned it anywhere but I will put it on pinterest in a second. It looks really plain in the pictures though, but it has a beautiful back. That can be seen on this link

When I started wearing maxidresses about 5 years ago people thought I was crazy. The year after everyone was wearing them. You got to show them norwegians that maxidresses are the sh*t
Haha, yes, Mother

I do have a lot of Noa Noa dresses... Problem is I find them too dressy for everyday-wear. And my handbags are to "rough" to wear with them. I always have something to wear to parties and gatherings, though And my Noa Noa blouses look best with cropped trousers, which I atm do not have... (As you can tell, I like making problems for myself:p)

Post lots of pictures of yourself in that Maxi dress and maybe you'll convince me to give them another try

I will be receiving my May item in a couple of days. A pair of Vivienne Westwood pirate boots. That might get me out of my wardrobe funk.

05-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Haha, yes, Mother

I do have a lot of Noa Noa dresses... Problem is I find them too dressy for everyday-wear. And my handbags are to "rough" to wear with them. I always have something to wear to parties and gatherings, though And my Noa Noa blouses look best with cropped trousers, which I atm do not have... (As you can tell, I like making problems for myself:p)

Post lots of pictures of yourself in that Maxi dress and maybe you'll convince me to give them another try

I will be receiving my May item in a couple of days. A pair of Vivienne Westwood pirate boots. That might get me out of my wardrobe funk.
Ah I see. I make problems for myself as well I think the purple one would look nice with both your balenciaga and your cognac leather bag though - but I get your drift regardring the blouses.

So exciting about the boots! Do you have any pictures of them?

I will SPAM you with pictures if it fits!

Just wanted to show the broderie anglaise skirt I was talking about. I got a little carried away in my eager to finish it so I could wear it, and therefore used a black elastic instead of a white which would have been the proper choice. But since I would never have an elasticated waist be visible I decided it did not matter. It used to be a dress with the poofiest sleeves ever.

05-06-2013
front row

Quote:
I am not sure if having them taken in will be easy, either. They would have to take the entire hip/waist area in by two inches I can actually pull off the trouser without unzipping or unbuttoning them atm.
I often have trousers taken in... I have way wider hips than I have a waist, so it's a necessity. By about two inches or more, too. They usually pin the back (butt) part and take them in there. I think it's only worth it if they fit you at the hips, though. I've also had a skirt taken in by about 2 inches at each side (!!) and it worked fine

05-06-2013
tfs star

Barbaraa: I was thinking they might take them in at the back too, but I fear the pockets might end up to far towards the back...

Betina, do you keep before pictures of your DIY projects? I don't know why you felt the need to change it. I am sure you would look great in pouffy sleeves

The purple dress is more of a tunic, and it goes with everything I just need to iron it a bit (lazy). My dressy dresses aren't on Pinterest yet, because I hardly wear them unless it is an occasion. I think I have gotten my hands on a digital camera so I might pin them soon.

I actually have lots of dresses I would like to "tweek". Adjust a hemline, take it in at the waist etc. Mostly they are vintage dresses I bought when I was inspired by some old movie. Right ow they are all in a box until I find a reputable seamstress.

Excited to see if the boots fit. Might have to invest in some really big woolen socks if they do not
*finn.no

06-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Barbaraa: I was thinking they might take them in at the back too, but I fear the pockets might end up to far towards the back...

Betina, do you keep before pictures of your DIY projects? I don't know why you felt the need to change it. I am sure you would look great in pouffy sleeves

The purple dress is more of a tunic, and it goes with everything I just need to iron it a bit (lazy). My dressy dresses aren't on Pinterest yet, because I hardly wear them unless it is an occasion. I think I have gotten my hands on a digital camera so I might pin them soon.

I actually have lots of dresses I would like to "tweek". Adjust a hemline, take it in at the waist etc. Mostly they are vintage dresses I bought when I was inspired by some old movie. Right ow they are all in a box until I find a reputable seamstress.

Excited to see if the boots fit. Might have to invest in some really big woolen socks if they do not
*finn.no
Well.... I do not have any pictures of the dress at hand though. I cut of the top years ago and turned it into a midiskirt and now I have just shortened it.

I feel your pain. I hate ironing. Maybe you could steam it? :p

Hope you will find a seamstress soon! Pretty dresses are supposed to be worn. I really love the fact that we have an in-house tailor at my work place.

Really looking forward to see how you are going to style those boots!

07-06-2013
trendsetter

Yesterday I went and tried on the Malene Birger dress I was considering for the October wedding and I loved it!

Two of my girlfriends was not really into it, mainly because they thought that there are cuts more flattering for me. I know that is true but I do not want another full skirted dress and it was not UNflattering - in my opinion.

It was a bit short though and that might not be any good for a wedding. But I reaaaally want it.

07-06-2013
front row

^ well, as I mentioned before, I think that what is 'wedding-appropriate' really depends on what kind of wedding you're attending. you know the people who are getting married (I assume ), you can make an educated guess what type of party they have in mind. short doesn't have to be a problem - but only if you feel comfortable in it, and if it feels appropriate to you.
just fanning the flames of your wanting the dress

I had the same feeling about my spring/summer wardrobe that Eizhowa was talking about a few posts ago - I had my winter uniform down, it all worked, and now suddenly it's warm and there's no outfits I can mindlessly put on in the morning and nothing goes together and aaargh!
that is, until I had to find a good outfit for an interview yesterday (volunteer work, and I really hope they pick me for the position. but there's a few other people who want it as well... fingers crossed). I finally decided on a midnight blue cupro shift dress from COS, and my vintage midnight blue boots (cowboy-y, but not too outrageous), with a little gold and black bracelet. for the first time in a while, I felt *good* in an outfit. got lots of compliments on it as well - and now I feel like I'm out of the funk.
I also did a little shopping, found some A.P.C. wedge sandals for 50% off, and a really nice linnen/cotton creamy-peachy-light sweater. I could still do with a good summer-y cardigan though, and some more summer dresses would not go amiss either. but I'm not in a hurry.

07-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistelette View Post
^ well, as I mentioned before, I think that what is 'wedding-appropriate' really depends on what kind of wedding you're attending. you know the people who are getting married (I assume ), you can make an educated guess what type of party they have in mind. short doesn't have to be a problem - but only if you feel comfortable in it, and if it feels appropriate to you.
just fanning the flames of your wanting the dress

I had the same feeling about my spring/summer wardrobe that Eizhowa was talking about a few posts ago - I had my winter uniform down, it all worked, and now suddenly it's warm and there's no outfits I can mindlessly put on in the morning and nothing goes together and aaargh!
that is, until I had to find a good outfit for an interview yesterday (volunteer work, and I really hope they pick me for the position. but there's a few other people who want it as well... fingers crossed). I finally decided on a midnight blue cupro shift dress from COS, and my vintage midnight blue boots (cowboy-y, but not too outrageous), with a little gold and black bracelet. for the first time in a while, I felt *good* in an outfit. got lots of compliments on it as well - and now I feel like I'm out of the funk.
I also did a little shopping, found some A.P.C. wedge sandals for 50% off, and a really nice linnen/cotton creamy-peachy-light sweater. I could still do with a good summer-y cardigan though, and some more summer dresses would not go amiss either. but I'm not in a hurry.
You are right. I know that it is going to be a semi-formal party. But the bride has not bought her dress yet and therefore I am not quite sure. But I will ask her the next time I see her. I personally find it fine for a wedding. But I probably would wear a pair of non-transparent tights under it - also due to the fact that it is in October.

I will send you good thoughts about that job - sounds exciting. It's nice that you have found a good summer uniform! Sounds like a really cute outfit.

Do you have any pictures of your latest purchases?

I recieved that maxidress yesterday, tried it on and went straight to the post office with it. It had no shape whatsoever and the neckline was not flattering on me. So back it went. I am really glad that I made a snap decission. Normally I would have pondered about it for days.

07-06-2013
fashion elite

We are going into winter here in Australia and I would have to say that the only items on my purchase list is some replacement basics. The problem is I really feel like I need some new items to feel inspired again.

07-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstarshine View Post
We are going into winter here in Australia and I would have to say that the only items on my purchase list is some replacement basics. The problem is I really feel like I need some new items to feel inspired again.
I do not think it is bad buying a few pieces to add something new to your style. I find that even a single piece can make my wardrobe feel new again.

07-06-2013
front row

On too-short dresses for weddings: I'm often "guilty" of this. I've only been to family members weddings so far and no one minded - it's hard to find dresses with a good length for my height anyway, so it's not like I'm doing it on purpose...

My leopard print dress hasn't arrived yet. I hope it arrived on Tuesday (Monday is our national holiday), because there's a party on Wednesday night I want to wear it to. It'd be the perfect combination of kitsch with classy.

And the basic tees I ordered have arrived to the store (I had them sent there for free shipping) but I'm too lazy to go get them as of now

misstarshine, despite the fact you're only planning on basics, perhaps you'll find some item(s) you'll fall in love with and make your wardrobe feel new and inspiring

07-06-2013
front row

these are the A.P.C. wedges that I got, will try and take pics of the tops later! (image from lyst.com)

07-06-2013
trendsetter

@Barbaraa: I am not excactly two (165 cm.) so I guess I can not put the blame there :p I do not consider it skanky skort - and I am really a prude when it comes to skankyness. I think that the long sleeves and the somewhat high neckline makes up for any skankyness the length might add.

Hope your dress will arrive in time for you to wear it to that party. What are you wearing it with?

@Twistelette:
they look nice and very comfortable!

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe