How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

20-07-2013
Power to the 99%

^ I was looking for pink shoes, but I never said I was finding them They are definitely around, but the problem is, I am not looking at cheap shoes, but somehow they look cheap. I didn't find any that spoke to me. And I have been wanted some more leopard ...

R&N, you do make a excellent point about how much one's feet change with the seasons--and these are shoes for colder weather, not summer. I tried on my favorite pair of red shoes last night for reference, and I could tell my feet were indeed quite swollen (I'm also retaining water right now I believe). In the winter with tights I have to tighten the straps so my feet don't slip out of them.

When I tried the shoes on this morning, I could see how they are supposed to fit. But I still want flexibility in that strap. I wish I could have them altered, but I don't think I could have them altered to look like they were originally made the way I think they should have been. Don't think you can rip into shoes the way you can cloth.

I do like them a lot, I am mostly just irritated that they are not better designed, when they could be perfect with a bit more thought and care. There is a little gusset (I guess it's called), a little triangular inset in the leather lining under the grosgrain. But what is really needed is some give. The strap could be 'sprung' on elastic set in below the sides of the shoe & it wouldn't even have to show (but I wouldn't care if it did). The design of the ballets is pretty perfect, but then they've had plenty of time to get it right.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 20-07-2013 at 11:54 AM.

20-07-2013
backstage pass

Thanks for nice words on the leather jacket all, it sold out so I guess I don't have to justify buying it anymore . I might check in a nearby store though, if they still have it.

fashionista-ta: I like pumpkin, or burned orange so I might consider that for fall. I had to google russet (never heard of it), and that's not really my type of color.

21-07-2013
Power to the 99%

singer22
^ I think a heathered pumpkin knit would be very pretty ... and nice with navy, or grey, or green ...

Well today I bought some lingerie at Nordstrom's anniversary sale. I took my shoes, intending to return them, but after chatting with a few people in the shoe department, changed course. When thinking about the possibility of having them altered, I was thinking about this place that has the reputation of being the best cobbler in the whole area, but they are off the beaten path for me & I've never been there. Every shoe department has a shoe repair place they use, and this is the one they use. One of the managers told me that she and at least one other employee have had elastic added to shoes by this place and been very pleased with the results. They've also had leather pieces switched out for pieces of different widths, dyeing, etc. and been pleased with all of it. So I'm going to go chat with them & see what they say. The Nordstrom people were very confident they would be able to do what I want.

The problem with the fit is my high arch. At the point where that strap is cutting in, my foot is headed straight up at a whole different angle than the shoe is expecting. Still, I'm certainly not the only one ... the shoe should be more flexible.

I also stopped in Neiman's, and the upside of Barney's closing is that Neiman's has opened Cusp here, which they hadn't before apparently due to Co-op. It's bigger and not as well edited, but I also immediately found an absolutely perfect sweater. The fit could not be better & I am super pleased. Planning to layer this for work ... It's rayon/wool/nylon/cashmere blend. I also really liked my SA (not the norm at Neiman's).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg singer22 joie sweater.jpg (37.0 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 21-07-2013 at 12:40 AM.

21-07-2013
trendsetter

@Ta-ta: Ah, I get it now Nie to hear that you probably will be able to have your shoes altered. Please let me know how it turns out. I really like the leopard blouse. As I recall you have been wanting one for quite a while.

21-07-2013
rising star

I'm sooo happy, you ladies were right, settling was not the solution to my shoe problem . Yesterday night I was walking with my friends and I saw THE perfect pair of chelsea boots and at a very good price. They look similar to the photo, but in my budget. Tomorrow morning I'm going to check it out. I'm thinking the possibility of buying two pairs, one to stock and use in special occasions and the other for everyday use -this might sound like a crazy idea, but I've wanted chelsea boots for almost 5/6 years- . Hope they hace them in my size, cross the fingers for me, please!!!

source: fotter.com.ar

Having my chelsea boots, I only need a new shirt, since my green one MUST dissapear, it's tooo worn out. I saw one in leopard print, I might go to check it out next week.
For summer I'm OK. A pair of blue shorts, t-shirts/sleeveless shirts and maybe a new pair of sandals in brown will be fine.

Last edited by carolinab; 21-07-2013 at 12:09 PM.

21-07-2013
fashion insider

^That's wonderful! I love Chelsea boots with detailing like that. Hopefully they will have your size in stock Fingers crossed for you!

EvaH: The Kain dress I ordered is back in stock now, in case you were interested... They have reduced the price further. Just after ordered mine, of course

Ta-ta: That's good news about the shoes! I am really envious of your selection of cobblers. We have one, and I am not sure how much, apart from the basics, they can do.

Fewormany: I understand what you mean about the amount of shoe-and-purse talk in this thread...

21-07-2013
Power to the 99%

Tender Buttons
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@Ta-ta: Ah, I get it now Nie to hear that you probably will be able to have your shoes altered. Please let me know how it turns out. I really like the leopard blouse. As I recall you have been wanting one for quite a while.
You know I will

Thanks, and you're right ... I think it was last winter that I started looking for a leopard sweater, with no particular luck. I saw on one site Leopard Tan listed, so I'm thinking it may be coming out in the classic colorway as well, but perhaps hasn't shipped yet. (Can't find that one anywhere, only the grey that I got.) I may get that as well.

Btw, I received my pearl buttons from Tender Buttons and took them to the cleaners to be sewed on to my ivory cardigan. The buttons are #4 in the picture, and I think they're prettier in person.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (400.1 KB, 2 views)

22-07-2013
trendsetter

@Carolinab: So nice that you finally found what you were searching for. I hope they have your size in stock. If not, you might be able to find them online?

@Ta-ta: those buttons are so pretty! I think that changing buttons is such a nice way of updating your clothes.

I like the grey leopard a lot. Generally I like grey and colored version of leopard more than the regular brown. But if you come to really love the blouse I can understand why you would want another one.

22-07-2013
front row

zara.com

Found this on sale today... I have had it pinned for a while. I guess I'm a an emotional shopper sometimes, and I got it.

22-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraaa View Post

zara.com

Found this on sale today... I have had it pinned for a while. I guess I'm a an emotional shopper sometimes, and I got it.
It is beautiful. Love the color. Hope you are okay?

22-07-2013
front row

^ Thank you for caring, I am Just a bit stressed with the whole unemployment thing and my parents aren't being very understanding... Oh well
That jumper is very soft - a silk and cotton mix. It is oversized, which I like, and I think it'll look lovely with skinny jeans or trousers. I think I will get a lot of wear out of it in the fall.

22-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraaa View Post
^ Thank you for caring, I am Just a bit stressed with the whole unemployment thing and my parents aren't being very understanding... Oh well
That jumper is very soft - a silk and cotton mix. It is oversized, which I like, and I think it'll look lovely with skinny jeans or trousers. I think I will get a lot of wear out of it in the fall.
Unemployment is a b.... but I am sure you are doing everything in your power to get a job. Sitting around your house doing nothing is not that much fun anyhow. Sorry that your parents aren't more understanding.

Hope you enjoy your sweater - sounds like a steal

22-07-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
@Carolinab: So nice that you finally found what you were searching for. I hope they have your size in stock. If not, you might be able to find them online?

@Ta-ta: those buttons are so pretty! I think that changing buttons is such a nice way of updating your clothes.

I like the grey leopard a lot. Generally I like grey and colored version of leopard more than the regular brown. But if you come to really love the blouse I can understand why you would want another one.
In this case I didn't have a choice since the cleaners broke two of the original buttons, but I really like these too and am looking forward to having a 'new' sweater. And now I'll have spares for my other two cardigans in case anything happens to them.

The leopard sweater is pre-fall ... it could well be sold out by the time I ever get to wear it, so I will have to use my 'snap' to make a decision on the other colorway. Given how hard it is for me to find a print I like and a sweater that fits well, I think I know what to do

Silk and cotton blend sounds great, barbaraa ...

22-07-2013
rising star

The boots were meant to be! I went to the store and they only had one pair left in black and in my size. I'm soooo happy, I can't take them off.

@fashionista-ta Loved the shoes! I think getting the modifications was a wise choice, sometimes things aren't perfect but can be. The buttons are very pretty as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1292.jpg (502.6 KB, 2 views)

22-07-2013
trendsetter

^ Congrats! They look great.

Regarding my wardrobe I'm currently working on writing down the pieces I would want to have in next season (not to mention it's melting hot here and all I can think of is some new bikini ). Will keep you posted later on this week.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe