How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

23-07-2013
trendsetter

@Ta-ta: yeah, I remember. Nice that you have the "snap" ability

@Carolinab: Congrats on getting the boots! I know you have wanted them for a long time.

@Jina: looking forward to seeing your list!

-------

According to the DPD tracking site my dress should arrive today. Can not wait to get my hands on it!

23-07-2013
trendsetter

This may be a bit off topic, but what are your inspirations in building a french-styled wardrobe? My style is a work in progress, I am also creating a list of must-haves and what to buy for a fall season, so any pics, movie titles etc would be appreciated!

23-07-2013
tfs star

Not off topic at all I use a Pinterest board where I pin "looks I like". Makes it easier to see what I like. I also love the style of people who wear the same items for years after years. Shows that they invested well, and knew what they liked. I have also been very inspired by Deadfleurettes blog. She uses the 4-5 pieces per season method, and is both a minimalist of sorts and a perfectionist. I like reading old books about wardrobe planning, like "Orchids on a budget" (1937). Can't remember any other right now. Old style books often say that you should base your wardrobe around one color, plan for the season and not compromise until you find what you wanted. I think having a color scheme makes planning much easier.

It is difficult to suggest specific movies or pictures, as the 4-5 pps method does not only work for a specific style. "Confessions of a shopaholic" would definitively be the opposite of what you are looking for though

I am looking forward to seeing your list!

Last edited by eizhowa; 23-07-2013 at 11:29 AM.

23-07-2013
backstage pass

I agree with eizhowa, pinterest is very usefull to keep things that inspire you. Any other place where you collect inspiration work as well of course.

Knowing what you like and what you want is key.

23-07-2013
trendsetter

For me si just that I have a clear vision of what I want and like, my taste has a stable roots.
I'm both minimalist and perfectionist, so finding an item that is really as close to my aesthetic as possible is rather hard, but I don't find that a problem, even the opposite.
I don't have temptations such as 'I SO want this, but it's not really me/my style', so everything is easier in that aspect, I always get items that I wear loads.

Betina, report about the dress, please! I'm still waiting for my COS sweater, it should be here in a couple of days or so.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

24-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
For me si just that I have a clear vision of what I want and like, my taste has a stable roots.
I'm both minimalist and perfectionist, so finding an item that is really as close to my aesthetic as possible is rather hard, but I don't find that a problem, even the opposite.
I don't have temptations such as 'I SO want this, but it's not really me/my style', so everything is easier in that aspect, I always get items that I wear loads.

Betina, report about the dress, please! I'm still waiting for my COS sweater, it should be here in a couple of days or so.
I think that my thoughts on this topic is very similar to yours. I am not in any way unsure of what I like and do not like and if I am craving a trend item that I do not see myself wearing for a long time (although I do not care much about trends) is usually am too stingy to buy it since I will not buy anything in a poor quality. And if I do not want to spend the money if have to to buy something in a safisfying quality, then I guess I do not want it enought to have it in my wardrobe.

The dress arrived yesterday and it is beautiful the packaging was very lovely as well. I had a nightmare that someone decided to store it on the floor and it therefore got dirty. Seems you really have to love your clothes to have that kind of dreams

Let me know how it turns out with your sweater. It looks so nice and airy. What is the material?

24-07-2013
tfs star

^I've definitely had those dreams

I received the Kain dress I ordered. According to the "product measurements" on Theoutnet, it should have been a snug fit on me. They even recommended to go up a size, which I fortunately did not do. I tried the dress on, and if i stand up really really straight, the dress does not touch anything but my shoulders. The waist measurement is 8 cm larger than what theoutnet wrote on their page... I am a little disappointed, because I wanted a fitted dress. I don't really know what happened when theoutnet tried to measure it... Maybe the size tag is incorrect on my garment?

And the dress is not as fitted in the bust area as I thought either. Which means I'll have to wear a bra

Color and material is perfect though

Last edited by eizhowa; 24-07-2013 at 04:53 AM.

24-07-2013
front row

Barbara, sending you tons of positive thoughts and hoping the job situation gets sorted out soon I love the sweater

Eizohwa, thanks for the tip I will probably pin it. I have been quite good the last couple of weeks. I saw several pieces I liked lately but never acted on it and I am glad I didn't because they didn't fit nether myself nor my style/lifestyle
Edit: Too bad the dress is not working Are you exchanging it or returning it?

Carolina, yay for not settling & for finally getting your hands on those special boots !

Jina earrings/studs & bracelet by Anita KO and big earrings by Ippolita

Inspiration & style, I am not like Jina or Betina because although I know what I like, I envision my style and what I would like to wear but from time to time I will stumble on something I really like. Most of the time, if not always, I don't buy it.
I don't get inspired by much and I must admit I use celebrities a lot. I use Beyonce's because we have the exact same body type so what kind of shape she uses are really interesting for me, I use Michelle Obama because we have the same skin tone so the colours she wears are a big inspiration & I use Charlize Theron's because I love her combination and how simple her outfits always are. Finally I like Emma Watson's because we are the same age so when I want to be a bit more "trendy I take inspiration from some of her looks

I think I am not knowledgeable enough to be able to be inspired by books and/or archives. My style is really simple & unfussy (at least I hope so)

Last edited by EvaH; 24-07-2013 at 05:36 AM.

24-07-2013
front row

Hi girls ... I bought the first thing off of my F/W shopping list, and I am insanely happy. It hasn't arrived yet but I think you all know what it is. I cannot wait to post photos, I nearly cried when I ordered it, I've wanted one for so long, and I will love it so much. To be continued ...

24-07-2013
front row

Darling, teasing is wrong

Eizohwa, I saw your post in the overpriced thread and I agree. The coat I got from Isabelle Marant was 43% wool, 20% coton and then synthetic. I paid 310£ for it and I wouldn't have spent one more cent. It does the job as a light "coat" (I think I will use it more as a cardigan at the beginning of autumn or during spring) but that's it.
If I had to spend 800$, I would have checked Joseph. I have a wool-twill blazer I love from them and I am eyeing one of their cashmere coat. I don't think I will be disappointed.
Isabel Marant seems a bit too hype/popular at the moment thus the inflated price IMO..

One ayes toon: what do you think of the outnet brand Iris & Ink for basics?

Last edited by EvaH; 24-07-2013 at 08:39 AM.

24-07-2013
tfs star

(What is "One ayes toon"?)

I have a washed silk shirt from Irish and Ink and the quality is amazing for the price imo. I have been to a lot of the luxury brand stores in my town and looked at their silk shirts. Most of them aren't as soft. My only issue is that the sleeves are too long, but I think you are taller than me, so that might not be an issue I have no experience with their knits etc.

I won't return the dress, as I won't get the taxes refunded, and I can't exchange it, because my size is out of stock. The dress does still look nice. I can always find another fitted dress. I am looking for a LBD that will be figure hugging.

24-07-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Barbara, sending you tons of positive thoughts and hoping the job situation gets sorted out soon I love the sweater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Hi girls ... I bought the first thing off of my F/W shopping list, and I am insanely happy. It hasn't arrived yet but I think you all know what it is. I cannot wait to post photos, I nearly cried when I ordered it, I've wanted one for so long, and I will love it so much. To be continued ...
Is it the McQueen scarf maybe...?

24-07-2013
tfs star

^Duh

--

For the past week I have been in contact with the company who sold me the green dress through Paypal. I have got them to agree to refund me the original shipping of 30 USD, but only if I pay for the return. The return is 50 USD, because they don't offer a return service. I don't know if I should just pay it and be done with it, or escalate my claim to Paypal... I am so tired of always having to fight. I feel like my claim is reasonable. "silk satin" means satin made of silk in the English language, and not "a unknown material with a silk satin finish", like they claim. Still, I don't know if Paypal can demand that the seller also cover the return shipping... And if they don't, I might as just be done with it... Any advice?

24-07-2013
front row

Yeah, duh! Of course it is! I've been dancing around the apartment for the past few hours. But the color will stay a surprise, at least. I'll show you the photos as soon as I get it. I got my paycheck for a job I had at Cosmopolitan and I figured it would be the perfect way to remember that time of my life. It will arrive in 3-4 days, apparently, but hasn't been dispatched yet.

Sorry, eizhowa, not sure what advice to give you ... I only dealt with that sort of thing with Paypal once, and they were very helpful - maybe contact them first to ask what you should do, they do have nice customer service.

Last edited by Juliette; 24-07-2013 at 11:50 AM.

24-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
The dress arrived yesterday and it is beautiful the packaging was very lovely as well. I had a nightmare that someone decided to store it on the floor and it therefore got dirty. Seems you really have to love your clothes to have that kind of dreams

Let me know how it turns out with your sweater. It looks so nice and airy. What is the material?
Great! Where did you order it? I love beautiful packaging (who doesn't ), such a pleasure to open and then admire it for days.
I always love packages from Etsy, the sellers are really paying attention to it and it's usually all handmade.

The sweater is 100 % cotton. I think it be great for wearing on summer evenings and through the upcoming season, it's a great layering piece.

EvaH, your new jewellery reminds me of an Italian brand Diamanti Per Tutti (Diamonds for all), did you ever heard of it? I recently pinned a ring I love, the products are reasonably priced too.

Juliette, big YAY for the scarf!! Can't wait to see for which combination have you decide in the end. I'm sure you will wear & love it for years to come.

I've been busy working lately but just wanted to say I'm so pleased to have more personal contacts with some of you, all participants of our little community should be rewarder for their awesomeness.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe