How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

27-07-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
**Fewormany wanders off in search of a cup of coffee and a relevant topic right about now ... he just thought the bag and shoe talk was boring **

To be honest, I'm glad I don't have to worry about bra's and such. Underwear for men is a lot less complicated .

27-07-2013
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstarshine View Post
It's winter here in Australia, and at the beginning of winter I came on here saying there was nothing I needed but I was feeling really uninspired. I decided to do what many articles and magazines recommend and that is "Shop in my own wardrobe". I have set myself the challenge to wear a different outfit everyday and I cannot re-wear any dress or skirt till I have worn all of them or I have given the ones I will never wear away.
This is a really good idea!

I have been feeling uninspired lately too and because I have been quite busy working long hours, I find that I am grabbing for the same 2 dresses and same 2 pairs of pants even though I have so many more nice things in my wardrobe Maybe this is out of sheer exhaustion, I don't know, but it is certainly boring considering the things I am wearing don't even make me feel like a million dollars (they are just comfy).

I think your method puts the fun and excitement back into putting on clothes, but it also keeps one honest to not hoard things one does not wear. I think I will implement this method this week. Maybe it will help me to discover new things to cull and sell to pay for my latest wardrobe additions

27-07-2013
front row

Welcome, T_C. & good luck!

My momma came home from a month-long vacation yesterday, and it's sort of a tradition to go shopping the very next day. I tried resisting, but she looked so sad, and I did like a few things, so she bought me these really pretty white leopard print shorts (you know me and my obsession with leopard) & cobalt blue top from Zara (photos in the neighbour thread, and oh, I'm blatantly copying this outfit from a friend of mine and feel sort of terrible, but she looked so great in it). Also got a really pretty light pink dress for the beach and a more fuchsia dress appropriate for the fall, which I really really love. All of these were sale buys, so I'm happy. And let's just pretend I needed some things for the beach (I'm going in a weeks' time). Thank you mom

27-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Welcome, T_C. & good luck!

My momma came home from a month-long vacation yesterday, and it's sort of a tradition to go shopping the very next day. I tried resisting, but she looked so sad, and I did like a few things, so she bought me these really pretty white leopard print shorts (you know me and my obsession with leopard) & cobalt blue top from Zara (photos in the neighbour thread, and oh, I'm blatantly copying this outfit from a friend of mine and feel sort of terrible, but she looked so great in it). Also got a really pretty light pink dress for the beach and a more fuchsia dress appropriate for the fall, which I really really love. All of these were sale buys, so I'm happy. And let's just pretend I needed some things for the beach (I'm going in a weeks' time). Thank you mom
Nice to hear you got some pretty things. When will your scarf arrive?

Pinks are not out of your wardrobe for good? I do not think I ever got the grasps of why you got rid of them - and that pretty, pink skirt

27-07-2013
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery

I have become the worst shopping partner in the world... I am so picky I hardly ever buy anything when I "go shopping", and my friends and family thinks I am being so boring... "No, that color doesn't fit with my color-scheme"/"No, that material doesn't work for me"/"No, ugly shoulder-seam" etc. etc. etc. I can go on forever... I can tell my mother just wants to roll her eyes at me

--

misstarshine: I don't think I'd have the patience to rotate my entire wardrobe, but I think it is a great idea if you feel stuck in a outfit-rut. If you are able to wear regularly everything in your wardrobe, your wardrobe is more successful than most womens I'd probably just sell what I didn't wear regularly...(lazy).

--

T.C: Welcome to the thread! I think it is very true that when you are feeling uninspired or tired in general, your outfits suffer. I know I always dress better (and shop more...) when I am in a really good mood Do you have any plans for the next season, or are you maybe waiting for some inspiration?

Last edited by eizhowa; 27-07-2013 at 10:43 AM.

27-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery

I have become the worst shopping partner in the world... I am so picky I hardly ever buy anything when I "go shopping", and my friends and family thinks I am being so boring... "No, that color doesn't fit with my color-scheme"/"No, that material doesn't work for me"/"No, ugly shoulder-seam" etc. etc. etc. I can go on forever... I can tell my mother just wants to roll her eyes at me
Oh that's me

Also I rarely feel like going shopping, since I do not feel there is anything I need/want.

The plan was to go shopping/thrifting next week when I am visiting my mom but really I do not feel like it since I am very satisfied with my wardrobe at the moment. Which is kind of a weird feeling since I usually love thrifting.

27-07-2013
tfs star

^Great vintage dresses are like desserts - There is always room for more.

But I get what you mean. I liked thrifting much more before as well...

27-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
^Great vintage dresses are like desserts - There is always room for more.

But I get what you mean. I liked thrifting much more before as well...
Well I do love a great find but I can also see how many of my bad purchases has been from thrift shops due to the low price. But really it makes me a bit sad since it is kind of our thing, me and my mother, that we use to do together.

27-07-2013
fashion elite

I don't have the patience for thrifting these days either. I think it's because I'm no longer a poor student who is at the mercy of the thrift shop gods. I generally know what i want and dont want to wait for someone else to give it away.

Having said that most of my favorite summer dresses and winter jumpers have come from thrift shops.

27-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstarshine View Post
I don't have the patience for thrifting these days either. I think it's because I'm no longer a poor student who is at the mercy of the thrift shop gods. I generally know what i want and dont want to wait for someone else to give it away.

Having said that most of my favorite summer dresses and winter jumpers have come from thrift shops.
I have no problems in order of patience, but when I am feeling good about my wardrobe in its current state I do not feel like thrifting or shopping in general since it seems like there is no point in seeking temptation if I do not feel like being tempted.

To be fair I do have a lot of great items from thriftshops as well. Things I have worn a lot. I just have to be more cautious when thrift shopping because I tend to get carried away.

27-07-2013
fashion elite

That's true I have a lots of failed items taking up space in my closet because they cost $2

29-07-2013
trendsetter

Just wanted to drop in and say hi!

I am at my mother's and went for a walk around town today. We stopped by a few of the stores and I was really pleasantly surprised by especially one of them which really had a nice selection of brands - and a really good sale section. Generally the town's stores mostly has the most common highstreet brands.

They had a lot of items from the danish brand "Storm & Marie" which I really like. And they were marked down a lot. I tried on a grey melange dress in a heavy cotton material. Perfect for fall, one of those "easy" pieces. My main crush was a biker style vest in the softest leather i have ever had my hands on (from another brand though). It was marked down to only 70 dollars.

I really liked it but decided to go home and think it through since it was a bit out of character for me stylewise. I really loved it though and think it would be cool over all of my dresses, especially the more girly, printed ones, at that it would be a nice, extra layer for winter. Still haven't made up my mind yet since I really was not planning on spending a lot of money now that I just bought the dress for the wedding, and since I was looking to generally spend less.

29-07-2013
front row

T_C & misstarshine, welcome
Btw miss, I love your idea. If everything goes according to plan by January 2014, I will have 51 "French" pieces counting jewellery, shoes & handbags. I think that will be the right time to try your methods.

Eizohwa, you always crack me up Last time I went shopping (for the first time ever) with my mum, she said I looked like I was carrying a military operation and was impressed by how quick I was able to ask questions & leave if the shop did not have what I had in mind or something I could see myself wearing. In the end she told me she was proud of me because I did not let SA try to push me into things I didn't like

Thrifting, I almost ended up with the same issue regarding what I consider "cheap" items. Since I had to rebuild my entire wardrobe, I had to not only hunt for basics but also activewear/holiday wears etc. I realized that I got more "cheap" stuff than 4-5 pieces worthy. But after taking a closer look I also know that most t-shirts will be used for sport/gym activities & as layers while at Uni and during recovery (or my stay at the hospital like now ) . I am quite satisfied to take my time before making any significant purchase anyway

Betina, good for you ! I think it was wise to take the time to think. If you end up getting those items, lets just say I can't wait to visit the combination thread

Btw I bought those shoes recently and I adore them :heart. I only had my K Jacques sandals & lanvin flats as both asos & Ancient Greek stayed home in London and the heat has been killing me here so the flats are not an option. The first pair is for here & the second one might be either used for the fall wedding with the helmut Lang grey/orange/black dress or as "birthday shoes" with I don't know what yet
Credit: Andre.fr

* those cost me less than 40€ so they are cheap items but I still see them working with my existing/4-5 wardrobe just fine. I wouldn't have purchased them full price tho..

Last edited by EvaH; 29-07-2013 at 03:58 PM.

29-07-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
T_C & misstarshine, welcome
Btw miss, I love your idea. If everything goes according to plan by January 2014, I will have 51 "French" pieces counting jewellery, shoes & handbags. I think that will be the right time to try your methods.

Eizohwa, you always crack me up Last time I went shopping (for the first time ever) with my mum, she said I looked like I was carrying a military operation and was impressed by how quick I was able to ask questions & leave if the shop did not have what I had in mind or something I could see myself wearing. In the end she told me she was proud of me because I did not let SA try to push me into things I didn't like

Thrifting, I almost ended up with the same issue regarding what I consider "cheap" items. Since I had to rebuild my entire wardrobe, I had to not only hunt for basics but also activewear/holiday wears etc. I realized that I got more "cheap" stuff than 4-5 pieces worthy. But after taking a closer look I also know that most t-shirts will be used for sport/gym activities & as layers while at Uni and during recovery (or my stay at the hospital like now ) . I am quite satisfied to take my time before making any significant purchase anyway

Betina, good for you ! I think it was wise to take the time to think. If you end up getting those items, lets just say I can't wait to visit the combination thread

Btw I bought those shoes recently and I adore them :heart. I only had my K Jacques sandals & lanvin flats as both asos & Ancient Greek stayed home in London and the heat has been killing me here so the flats are not an option. The first pair is for here & the second one might be either used for the fall wedding with the helmut Lang grey/orange/black dress or as "birthday shoes" with I don't know what yet
Credit: Andre.fr
* those cost me less than 40€ so they are cheap items but I still see them working with my existing/4-5 wardrobe just fine. I wouldn't have purchased them full price tho..
Thank you dear!

I am not getting the dress - I like it but I have plenty of dresses so that is not my top priority at the moment. The vest is still haunting me though. Along with a leather dress in "my" cut (defined waist, full skirt) online. Also marked down. Trying to stay strong here, though.

I do not think there is anything wrong with buying cheaper items as long as you purchase them after the same amount of consideration that you would have before purchasing something expensive. Generally I do make it a rule though, that if I spot a trend item that I do not wish to buy at full price because I do not see it becoming a classic (to me), or I am not quite sure about it, I will not buy it. Not even in a highstreet version since that often ends up with me making a bad move.

Not quite sure, are you out of the hospital?

29-07-2013
fashion elite

Thanks EvaH I've actually been on this thread since it started I think. I only check in now and then though. But I think thats why shopping from my own wardrobe is so easy because I have all the good quality basics (and non basics). My biggest issues in recent times has just been that I have felt so uninspired because I didnt really have anything I was lusting after . Also there is something to be said about the thrill of a new purchase.

Im now putting together what I might want for spring:

-Striped short sleeved tee (replacement)
-White cropped skinny jeans
-White denim shorts
-black maxi skirt
-White patent leather birkenstocks (im not sure about these. I have a love/hate relationship with birks. I have some black suede clogs that I wear and love. But I question whether I am really going to wear the sandal version)

Nothing very exciting. But I am always open in spring and summer to new dresses

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe