How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

30-07-2013
front row

Betina, what have you decided about the leather vest? I think it's a really great and versatile piece, I've worn mine a lot - not now of course, since it's blistering hot, but it looks great with pretty much anything otherwise!

Eva, I love your striped sandals, they are lovely!

misstarshine You need to post here more, then! Your list sounds good to me, they're all classic and versatile pieces. What about a different pair of sandals instead of the Birkenstocks? If you're not sure about them, I'd say skip them.

Today, I received my order from NAP, I am so happy. Here it is, in all its glory.

my pics

30-07-2013
front row

^ Congrats That's a very nice colour combo... versatile and "soft". I'm sure you'll love it

30-07-2013
front row

Congrats Juliette ! This is gorgeous

Ok so I did something quite wrong today, I fell in love with a dress as it was exactly what I was looking for my birthday. Problem is: the dress is one size too big. I will wait to see how it fits (I have a big bust so hoping it helps !) but I might have to bring it to the tailor.. I am just scared it might do more harm than good :/ Do you have any experience with altering those kind of dresses?

Credit: Avenue32

30-07-2013
fashion elite

Juliette that is gorgeous. I hope it's everything you wanted it to be.

I decided against the Birkenstock sandals. I have too many pairs of other pretty sandals that I already own. Also here in Australia you generally end up wearing thongs (flip flops) for half of summer

30-07-2013
tfs star

Eva, I think it was Chanel who said it is a foolish woman who alters a designer dress, or something to that effect. But If you have a great tailor, and they say they can help, go for it I think your tailor will know If they can help, or If it will end badly.
Ú

Juliette, I hope your scarf is everything you dreamed it would be

Misstarshine: I just d to mention thar birkenstocks see better for your feet than flip flops.... I know a lot Iot people who have with feet problems due to bad footwear....

30-07-2013
front row

Eva, considering the dress is belted, maybe the size up won't be too noticeable... But like eizhowa said, a good tailor will be able to tell you if they can help.

31-07-2013
front row

Barbara and [/b]Eizohwa[/b], thank you. I will see how it looks I really loved it and couldn't resist for long (a bit of a 4-5 piece failure really :nina

Anyway here is my definitive fall/winter wishlist
All the pictures come from net a porter & asos
Duffy purple cashmere sweater
Equipment cashmere cardigan
Dagmar blue wool sweater
Chinti and Parker grey wool sweater
Gianvito Rossi biker boots
PS1 plouch leather handbag
Asos mischief leather flat shoes (thank you Jina )

At first, I really wanted to add a black coat but couldn't find anything that was casual enough but not too casual, quite fitted and made of either 100% wool or cashmere. I had my eyes set on a Burberry brit but after awhile I lost interest. I have just seen a gorgeous coat on Charlize Theron thread that she has been wearing for several years now so if I can find an ID, I will probably add it to my wishlist. If not, my trench + wool lining will have to do for now.. Although I really like/pinned 2 red coats, I think going for a timeless black is a better investment for now.

I am still undecided regarding the Joseph wool dress & the Maje angora sweater. Dress: I have been looking for a little black wool dress for ages but to be honest I don't really need it (I think), as for the sweater I love the pale yellow & the cut but I don't have any experience with angora and I am scared it might be too itchy and high maintenance...

Last edited by EvaH; 31-07-2013 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Credit: net a porter, Asos

31-07-2013
trendsetter

@Juliette: I am really torn. I just looked through my savings and I do have the money although I just purchased a tablet since I got accepted to the University

I just really did not plan on spending that kind of money since I just bought the Malene Birger dress but at the same time I think I will really regret it if I don't. So I think I will get it. I was planning on not shopping in August anyhow.

Congrats on getting your scarf - I think you choose the perfect color combo for you. Have you worn it yet?

@Eva: I would only keep the dress if you know that you will get it tailored if it does not fit. I have had a bag habit of buying clothes too big in the past (from thrift shops) and it does not look good and I end up not wearing them which is a waste of resouces, I think.

Seems like you've really narrowed your list down. Good job!

I think a classic LBD that can be worn for both eveyrday and events is a good investment. But not if you do not feel like you need it.

31-07-2013
trendsetter

Juliette, congrats again for your scarf, that's a really nice combination, very versatile too.

EvaH, I love that dress! The cut is perfect and the colour so vivid (I fell in love in the similar coloured dress I pinned for Red, really great shade) and I think it will flatter you so much. Hope the fit will be right, but if not I'm sure you could have it altered without problems.

Betina, congrats girl! That's some wonderful news.

I've been having a great time at my boyfriend's (will hopefully move there later this year), so nothing new regarding my wardrobe, but can't wait for the shopping in London. Only a little more than 2 weeks to go.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 31-07-2013 at 04:44 PM.

01-08-2013
front row

Betina, congratulations !! Hope you Will enjoy your course and your time at University
As for the best, I would say go for it, especially since your savings allows it and you already bought what you needed for university !
Yes I am very proud of myself regarding the list ! I really took the time to think about it, look at what I already own and see if everything would fit nicely together and for what purpose I wanted each pieces. Regarding the dress, I will keep watching it to see if it gets to low stock and then I might go for it. It really is a cute dress and I could use it with a lot of things but it is not the exact shape I wanted so we will see
I do understand what you mean about buying items that does not fit but feel like a bargain. I really did my best to never fall into that trap. Well, I had to get something one size to big recently so it wouldn't be fitted around my mid-section because of my surgery. I desperately needed it as hospital gown are not my thing, but I am quite positive I will keep it anyway because although I am a FR 36, it is mainly due to the fact that I have tiny tiny hips but my torso and my thighs fit without problem in 38. I am hoping that since the dress is belted, I won't have too much of a problem. We will see

Jina, fingers crossed you get to move in with your boyfriend later this year then I do hope I will be able to tailor it without too many problems if it's not right. I sent an email to my tailor here and she said that she has already tailored dresses like these but of course she must see it first. Now it is just a waiting game as it takes longer to arrive in France than in the UK !
I am so bummed you are coming to London and I won't even be there Anyway, enjoy the shopping !! Can't wait to see what you get

Last edited by EvaH; 01-08-2013 at 01:31 AM.

01-08-2013
trendsetter

@Jina: thank you so much! So exciting about London and you maybe moving in with your boyfriend. Great things seems to be happening for you - well-deserved

@Eva: Thanks a lot

I went to get the vest yersterday but it had just been sold. I was really bummed at first but now I am fine with it. Something else will come along, I saved some money and I stayed true to my list.

I really think you did good with your list. I remember it being a lot longer before. Maybe the dress will fit since it is belted - I will keep my fingers crossed. Having to buy clothes that you can wear after an operation is completely different I think.

01-08-2013
trendsetter

I have decided not to do any shopping in August.

For the past month I really haven't been feeling the need to buy anything since I am quite happy with my wardrobe and really the though of having to go shopping this week with my mom only stressed me out due to that realization. Therefore I have decided to just not, for the following month since I find that it makes it a lot easier when I decide just to avoid it.

I do have some items on my fall list that will be nice additions to my wardrobe but I am not in any rush to buy them. Maybe when the fall arrives.

01-08-2013
front row

Thank you so much girls! I'm really happy I finally got it.

Betina Yes! I wore it for the first time today (and looked like a douche probably, cause it was 32° outside. But I'm wearing it again this evening when I go out) to meet Jina! I'm so happy I finally met her, such a pretty girl and really stylish - I wanted to compliment everything she was wearing.

I'm done with shopping until the end of August, because my birthday is on the 26th and I'll probably have a bit more money to spend. By then hopefully more autumn appropriate stuff will be available. I'm looking to buy a few more items from my list, my main buy will probably be the ankle boots (still haven't decided which ones I want, but probably the Pistols). Until then, I'm pretty much broke. Also, don't really need anything, so I will restrain. Will be helpful that I'm going to the seaside tomorrow, where there really aren't many shops. I will have internet in the evening though, so I can stay up to date with all of you.

01-08-2013
front row

Betina, I definitely understand the no shopping rule. My birthday is on the 14th of September and once again we are going to a 3* Michelin restaurant so I really needed an appropriate outfit. I decided that the dress would be my last purchase.

Now that I almost have all the "basics" (I need good quality jeans/trousers/skirts, one leather jacket, one coat) I really want to start the 4-5 piece for real. I sized down my wishlist & took off the angora sweater, the LBD and the sweater with white stars in favor of one wool blend Stella McCartney cardigan. This makes my list come down to 6 items and I feel like I need all those items. If I have to add one thing it would be a classic black coat.

I want to learn to manage money. I went from one extreme (not investing on my wardrobe/accessories etc) to the other (investing maybe too much too soon) so now I am looking for some middle ground. Most of my items have a reasonable price tag so I am planning to get those first and put aside some money for the big purchase ie the biker boots as a Christmas present.

I am really inspired by your way of doing this Betina so I will probably copy you when it comes to putting on saving account money for all your different expenses and gathering the money you need for a big purchase

How you financially organize yourself: We don't really talk about that here but how does this spending work out for you? Do you all save until a point where you can buy your item and do it repeatedly? Do you have a saving account set up especially for this? Do you use your normal saving accounts? Do you get those pieces as presents from relatives or is this a dedicated part of your pay check and is budgeted as such?

Juliette, enjoy your holidays

Eizohwa, when are you going to NYC? I am missing Jina's stay in London by a hair breadth but I was wondering if our dates stay in NYC actually match.. I would love to meet members from this thread

01-08-2013
trendsetter

Just wanted to pop here complimenting Juliette, she's the sweeatest girl. It would be a shame if we wouldn't met anyway, living in the same city.

EvaH, tell me about it, you know I would stay a bit longer knowing when you will arrive back. There's no doubt this won't be my last stay in London though, really love the city. How are you, btw, really hoping you feel better now?

Regarding finances: The only item in my wardrobe for which I was saving money is a Mullberry bag, otherwise I am just spending current incomes for clothing/accesories, or my savings. I have one account for all my expenses, so spending more on urgent/major things (including holidays) means less spending for my wardrobe.
Luckily I needed less stuff to complete my closet in the last year or so, so I didn't had to sacrifice.
I also choose a gift for bdays and similar myself, so most of the time I choose something to wear.

Betina, maybe that was a sign so don't feel bad. It's always better to regret not buying something than the other way around, especially if there's no way to get a refund.
This is very common here, mostly you just have to pick something else and I hate this kind of policy. It's not even legal as far as I know, but you can't do anything.

I forgot to post my FW list here, will do that later. It's so hot here that thinking of woolen sweaters and similar is kind of frustrating.
I didn't even wore my new COS sweater yet, although being so lightweight (Ta-ta, it's all cotton, no chiffon. The model is wearing a tank top underneath).

I mentioned getting a bicycle as a graduation gift from my boyfriend a few weeks ago and today he made a reservation for it, the one I wanted then got sold out. We are going to pick it up tomorrow so can't wait, it's so perfect.
I'm in a process of getting a drivers licence so I'm riding a bicycle a lot, but mother's. Moving from home makes a new one a necessity.

rogosport
Attached Images
File Type: png kolo.png (409.3 KB, 0 views)

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 01-08-2013 at 01:08 PM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe