How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

01-08-2013
fashion elite

EvaH I am totally useless at saving my money so my husband and I mostly live of my income and he saves his... I really need to learn to save too. Unfortunately even when i'm not buy clothes I can still find expensive types of food to spend my money on.

01-08-2013
tfs star

EvaH: I don't remember who was going to NYC, but it is sadly not me

Financial organisation: I work part time (50-60%), and I have a full student loan and a standard scholarship. I am also able to live quite inexpensively. so I have never had to save-up to get something... It is tough to use my savings though and see it decrease...

I don't think I could buy all the items I wanted at once, and then not shop for 3-6 months. Those in-between months would be very hard... And you would have to be absolutely sure those are the correct and best items for you. I'd find that difficult.

On the other hand, buying all the items at once would free up time, and give you more time to think about other aspects of your life. Not for me, as organizing and planning my wardrobe is one of my favorite hobbies

Jinadaze: Such a pretty bike When I stayed in Cambridge I spent ages drooling over all the pretty and classic bicycles with their straw baskets

--

(This is about wool sweaters, feel free to skip to the next paragraph, Jinadaze)I bought some yarn and I have ordered grey wool "Marius" sweater from a relative who can knit. Will probably be ready by Christmas I am very excited, because I have wanted one for 5-6 years, but they are too expensive to buy ready-made, and I didn't know I had relatives who could knit...

I also bought a little black dress by Kain, but I won't receive it until I go home (someone else is signing for it back home). My summer cabin/cottage does not have a proper address or a road leading up to it. I doubt DHL would delivery it to me

(I hope you can see the picture, the computer I am on won't show any of them...)

theoutnet

01-08-2013
trendsetter

So nice to come home to a thread full of activity

@Juliette: that scarf is worth looking douchy for So envious that you guys were able to meet up. Would be so cool to meet all of you in real life.

Sounds like a great plan. I will definetely recommend you getting the pistol boot. I love mine.

@Eva: thank you so much for the compliment - really means a lot to me I think you are doing so good and has already gone a long way in order of changing your habits. Also a list of six items sounds very reasonable even if you end up buying a few items not on my list. I think my SS list was the same lenght and I have so far bought 11 items (not counting basics and accesories where I only bought a pair of earrings and the three silk slips) and I think that is reasonable My season ends August 31st. My point being: I think you've narrowed your list down to a good number of items - and some good items as well.

@Jina: that is my thoughts excactly. I think it would have made a nice piece but really I am not sad I missed out on it. Gives me more money to focus on the important items on my list, like a grey cardigan. Think I found the perfect one and although I would like to buy it now and I do have the money I would feel better regarding my economics if I wait for the 1st of September.

Funny about the return policy. In Denmark I think there is no rules in that regard. Actually I think that stores are not by law forced to accept returns - when they do it is as a service. That is one of the few perks of online shopping since you always have the possibility to return you purchase within two weeks.

Nice about the bike! Although I tend to make clothes my top priority when handling my finances I always end up enjoying bigger investments in other areas a lot.

@Eizhowa:
clever with the sweater. For the same reason I wish I could knit.

I can not see your picture. Went to pinterest to see if I could find it there, but no such luck! Looking forward to see the style.

Economics: Up until now I have just spend the amount of money I could/needed. I have never spent more than I have, but often have spent all of my money on clothes. I rarely do that anymore since I do spend a lot of money on other things (mainly going out) and prefer to have solid savings. Some of my expensive items I have been saving for. Like my Pistols that was funded by a couple of months of "if I buy this it will be xx dollars more before I can purchase the boots" and a wardrobe cleanout - I had a pair of Jeffrey Campbell Litas that I sacrificed to buy the ACNE boots. Also I keep a saving that I will use for whenever I need it; bills, vacations or expensive purchases. That I used when I found the Stam bag at a very reasonable price.

From next month (this one has been a bit out of the usual order due to me starting at the university, having to buy a tablet etc.) I will divide my salary from my job (my student support from the government covers all of my living expenses) into three parts. One to cover the fun things; going out, dining out etc., one to buy clothes and one to go to my savings for unexpected bills, vacations and hopefully at some point, the Rika star bag.

I am excited to see how I will do having a budget for my wardrobe additions since I have never had that before, but I would like have a limit to ensure that I keep my savings growing.

01-08-2013
trendsetter

BTW, just wanted to show you my new dresses (not sure I mentioned them).

The black one I found at a thrift shop and is originally from InWear which is one of my favourite brands. The striped one is from H&M and a hand me down from my cousin. Perfect timing since I have really been needing a couple of dresses for the high temperatures we have been experiencing the last couple of weeks. I have already worn both of them and I am very please. I especially love the black one. I really was not sure what I was looking for in a dress like that, but this is it.

My own picture

01-08-2013
trendsetter

^ Those kinds of dresses are great for summer indeed! Especially love the black one, looks like it has a nice neckline.

Eizhowa, what a gorgeous dress! I have an almost identical one but with long sleeves, from French Connection.
I own just one summer LBD though and not missing another one so far. During so hot summers that we have here I prefer lighter ones. Will definitely buy a white one next year like I planned to now, but didn't find the right one for years.
I find it quite difficult to find 'just right' dresses/clothes in general in monochrome colours, because the cut has to be perfect. With such a classic pieces I am always striving to get the ones with a twist, especially since my wardrobe mainly consist of them.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 01-08-2013 at 05:21 PM.

02-08-2013
front row

Juliette, you will look cool and bad*** with your scarf, not douchy at all
You are so lucky you got to meet Jina, most of us are based in Europe anyway so I guess there is a good chance we will all be able to meet up at some point

Jina, your bicycle is so pretty I, too, was in the middle of taking my drivers license but sadly I am not that gifted on cycling so I choose the easy way : I picked a school near my home
Fingers crossed you will get your license soon!

Betina, I guess in the end, it was for the best. Like you said, the extra money will allow you to have a bigger cushion for your other expenses. Also, one never has too much saving when going back to school IMO I love your dresses. They look perfect for the summer I didn't get to wear mine for a very long time but the helmut Lang & splendid dresses I purchased were very comfortable and served the same purpose !
Thank you for your encouragement & explaining how you do it I am quite inspired by all of you, everyone here seems very responsible with their purchases/money etc on top of being very knowledgeable.
I will try the 3 part thing with my parents allowance + part time job. I think I will also start saving for purchases greater than 300£ mainly my gianvito Rossi boots this season. I hope they will still be available by the time I manage to gather all the money. I think I might appreciate more those pieces if I "work" slowly towards getting them!

misstarsunshine, I understand you.. I never purposely saved ( ) with a real and definite plan. I denied myself and didn't went to spend money but it was never with a long term goal. I never had a real budget either, I just made sure to pay my bills and then I would use the money for buying houses, decorating, traveling and eating.. I think outside from the necessities & compulsory spending, airplane tickets/accommodation + food were my biggest recurrent expenses. Now that I can't travel and I can't eat a lot of things, I reported everything on jewelry and clothing. So yes, I was looking for some inspiration and way of doing to improve and be more balanced & financially responsible without guilt and going to an extreme

Eizohwa, I can't see the dress but I think I know which one you are talking about as I put both the black and beige one on my wishlist We seem attracted to the same Kain dress! I know I won't get it because I want to focus on my wishlist and get staples but it was nice to dream I will voraciously live through you
And oops I might have mixed you up with someone else. I thought you were thinking about going to NYC to have a zipped lining added to a Burberry trench?

Jina, ah the twist.. I too am attracted to pieces like these but you are right, those are definitely hard to find.. Especially on such classical pieces..

Pinterest has been such a great tool. I think it was ta-ta who helped some if us join that waggon? It has been great to be able to see every pieces right in front of my eyes & next to each other. I was able to return a lot of pieces that way to. Some went back as soon as they arrived, others had to wait for days and even weeks. It has been especially great to be able to "test" my wishlist items with what I already own, allowing me to make combinations and setting my priorities straight.
It also helped me become even more patient and confident. Most of the stuff that went back, I hesitated before getting them but was afraid they might sell out. Now I trust my gut a bit more and try to wait to be absolutely sure.

Returns, you are absolutely right Betina, it is one of the perks of online shopping. I love how I can just pick up my return and everything is handled for me and I have more time to return items, but as time passes (I never thought I would say this ), I must say that I really love the customer service in all the "high end" shop I was able to go to. I think SA are really important, especially when you finally start to know what you like and what you want. I love the experience tbh
If there is a ganvito Rossi shop in London, I will probably go there to get my shoes.. I also like the relationships you can make with the SA, then when something could pop your interest, they will email you and really cater to you..
Well I only directly went to the shops for handbags/shoes and for the Burberry trench but I think I will try to systematically go for those pieces as it is quite easier to try on several pair of shoes or see how the bag fit with one's frame etc..

/ sorry for the super long post

02-08-2013
trendsetter

@Jina: It really does, it was such a scoop. I totally know where you are getting at regarding monochrome clothes. They need good detailing, but I also find that playing with different textures helps a lot.

@Eva: Thank you for the kind words! I have not been good at saving in the past since it did not felt like I needed to but at some point I got fed up with not being able to afford the things I really wanted since I spent all of my money on fast-fixes from H&M and then I changed my ways. Like you said, there is a great satisfaction in being able to buy something you have been waiting and saving for. Also I do in no way have a large income so prioritizing is a must.

Pardon me asking, but why is it that you can't eat a lot of things? Sorry if this is too personal, feel free to not answer, I am just curious since I am being checked out for food allergies.

Regarding buying things in store I definetely prefer that as a combination of finding it nice to being able to try things on, feel the fabric etc. but also since I would like to support the local stores since they will have to close if no one uses them. It has become quite important to me since I started working in a clothing store myself. For more expensive purchases I definetely prefer to buy them in store as well both for safety and since it kind of thrills me.

02-08-2013
front row

Oh it is not personal just very boring..

I have quite the bad health and 2 diseases at the moment one which is not discovered but one of them, endometriosis means that I had to change my diet:
- no more fried things
- no more red meat
- no more milk based products (yogurts, ice cream, etc)
- no more cheese
- no more "charcuterie" (I think you find this mainly France/Spain/Italy etc it is some sort of dry meat)
- I can't eat some type of vegetables
- no more potatoes/pasta/carbs
- no more cakes etc
And a lot of other stuff..

Anyway food which was one of my greatest pleasure is now becoming the ban of my existence..

And nope, I am still at the hospital, I am being screened for cancer since I came back to the hospital recently.. So if i start chemio my diet will worsen Well anyway, such is life

02-08-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Oh it is not personal just very boring..

I have quite the bad health and 2 diseases at the moment one which is not discovered but one of them, endometriosis means that I had to change my diet:
- no more fried things
- no more red meat
- no more milk based products (yogurts, ice cream, etc)
- no more cheese
- no more "charcuterie" (I think you find this mainly France/Spain/Italy etc it is some sort of dry meat)
- I can't eat some type of vegetables
- no more potatoes/pasta/carbs
- no more cakes etc
And a lot of other stuff..

Anyway food which was one of my greatest pleasure is now becoming the ban of my existence..

And nope, I am still at the hospital, I am being screened for cancer since I came back to the hospital recently.. So if i start chemio my diet will worsen Well anyway, such is life
I am so sorry to hear that. Both about the endomitrosis but also about you being screened for cancer. I will send you my best thoughts.

02-08-2013
backstage pass

Wow, there seems a lot of new stuff in the thread!

EvaH: I hope you're being screened for cancer turns out fine! So sorry to hear that! About the endometriosis: I was diagnosed with endometriosis years ago but never changed my diet? I didn't know that was necessary?! I'm keeping fingers crossed for you!

Juliette: Congrats on your scarf!!! Wow, you finally bought it? How nice! It looks lovely and should be something you can wear for a Long time.

Betinapple: Congrats on getting accepted to University! That's worth more than any item of clothing one could ever own...

Finances: I have an account specifically for my personal Shopping, and I save up there. That's also a reason why I often wait with buying something, even if it's low stock: because I have not enough on my clothes Shopping account and I don't want to touch our other accounts for this stuff.

Jina: Stylish bicycle!! Congrats on graduating!

Me: Bought a short sleeved top by Peter Pilotto. It was not on my fall / winter shopping list, but it was one of the items on my spring / summer Shopping list that I never managed to find. When I saw this one I knew I had to get it. The yellow isn't really mustard but I still thought it went very well with many things in my closet. The cut is lovely, too! So I'll start with fall / winter in september... weather is far too good for thinking of warm clothing anyway!

Pic: net-a-porter.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pilotto.jpg (381.4 KB, 2 views)

02-08-2013
front row

Betina, thank you I got my results back and I do have lymphoma but it is in the early stage so I have 90% chance of being cured.

Red this top is so beautiful !! I love a lot if Piletto and Karantzou pieces but I always end up thinking "This is too much for me, too loud and not wearable in the long run, I should focus on basic & 'plain' pieces" albeit I found most of their things really flattering. It is good that you went for a top, much more wearable I think

Endo, I am so glad to hear that you are fine now and even have children, don't you? Give me hope, I never thought that being able to become pregnant and have a baby would become my dream I am under treatment, waiting for my surgery but I had to change my diet on my doctors advices (and also because in the end with the nausea and so on, my body rejected those type of food anyway).

Finance, a special account for shopping do sound nice ! Especially when in a relationship & sharing account with a partner !

02-08-2013
trendsetter

@Red: thanks a lot. You are perfectly right. It is an investment for life and since I live in Denmark I will only have to pay for my books since the state covers all other costs including my living expenses.

Very lovely top. Although it is a different yellow than you usually wear I think it will work nicely with the rest of your wardrobe. I bet it would look great with navy.

@Eva: Again, I am so sorry. Good thing the caught it early. I hope all the best for you.

02-08-2013
front row

just peeking in to say

EvaH, so sorry to hear about the lymphoma & endiometrosis. sending good thoughts your way.

Betina, congratulations on getting into university! what will you be studying? (or did you already mention that? I might not be completely up to date)

02-08-2013
fashion elite

EvaH I'm sorry to hear about your illnesses. My sister suffered from terrible endometriosis and has had two babies both which were complete surprises.

02-08-2013
fashion elite

Betinapple I often use a similar method to you when I feel tempted to buy something I don't really need/want. I think of something expensive I want I and deduct the cost of the cheap item from the cost of the expensive one. It makes me focus on what I really want... Most of the time

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe