How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

02-08-2013
trendsetter

EvaH, sending you good thoughts too, I'm sure that both diseases will be cured. Don't know much about lymphoma but as you said, 90 % means a lot. Same with endiometrosis, I know many women that got it cured with the first operations/diagnostic medical examination. Stay positive! x
And thanks for your wishes about the drivers licence, it's bugging me. I'm about half way there but my tutor is on vacation now so I didn't drive for weeks. :S Didn't want to do it when I was a student, because I actually didn't need a car (relatively good public transport) and I also had to save for ti since it's really expensive here.

Red, really nice top, very interesting print!
Thanks to you too, that was actually in May, but anyway - it's over.

So I got a bicycle today and am happy as a small child on Christmas day , it's even prettier irl. I named him George. ˆ-ˆ

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

03-08-2013
backstage pass

Jina: Oh, what a royal name for a bicycle...
I think I remember you writing about graduating before and I think I congratulated you then, but I suddenly got confused.

Top: Thanks for the nice words! I know the print is quite crazy but I think I will still like it in a few seasons. I've liked Pilotto's prints for many seasons now, so it's not something I get tired of easily. Besides, I love solides, but I also love a piece with a print from time to time. I have several statement pieces that I owned for years and never grew tired of them.

03-08-2013
Eat me, drink me

I'm giving this a try for my work clothes; I think it helps a lot and the planning process this girl details is quite smart. She mentions saving up for buying about 5 pieces for each new season to update her wardrobe, so I thought it would be good to post it here.

http://into-mind.com/2012/12/20/buil...-wardrobe-101/

04-08-2013
Power to the 99%

emmabridgewater.co.uk
Congrats on the Peter Pilotto, R&N! Your piece reminds me of Balenciaga back in the day.

I went to see the shoe people today ... he asked me if I had a few minutes, undid the seam, and measured me ... I need the strap to be 1/4" longer than it is. He's going to add fabric elastic (something like that he said he had) on the inside edge, and believes he can make it disappear. So, excited that I get to keep the beautiful shoes!!

Jina, I think you need one of these ... pretty sure this is referring to your bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hooray for George NEW l.jpg (409.6 KB, 0 views)

04-08-2013
backstage pass

Eva: Forgot to say, regarding endo: Yes, I have two children now... My doctor during university years adviced me to think about children before 30 - if possible. An advice we followed: Our son was born when I was 29. A friend of mine with endo just had a baby, so it definitely is possible. But maybe you try not to wait until your 39 with your family planning - if that is an option for the two of you. Good luck on your way!!

04-08-2013
i'm almost ready..

i indulged in a few cheap trendy items and now i feel guilty but pretty happy with them. so much for deliberate, conscious buying! not sure what suddenly overcame me but both are studded items, which i don't think i own any of (until now).

now the goal is to not buy anything for August and save to buy the bag that i still haven't found.

lyst.com

i really like the boots with casual dresses which i don't wear often but would like to start wearing more. the cardigan i have almost worn daily since i bought it, so it's proving to be very versatile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg booties.jpg (104.9 KB, 1 views)

04-08-2013
front row

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and kind words It really lift my heart to know that there is still some hope for me regarding the family front. My doctor also told me to start trying for a family before 30 (well he actually said around 26 years old so if by 28 nothing happen we can start thinking about options). Anyway, glad it turned out well for yourself and your close ones

Jina, it's so cute that you named your bike Where you inspired by our future king's name?

two months off, I think this blog was already shared here but I never digged up enough to actually find this specific entry so thank you I also really liked her entry on a capsule wardrobe. I need to put more thought into it !

adorefaith, the cardigan is really cool. I wouldn't regret such purchase either
Sending you tons of strength to not indulge in anything until you find the perfect bag

-------
I saw this Chloe blazer on net a porter and I loved it. As in really really like it. I love the cut, the colour, the material. I think it is meant to be a blazer but I believe it can also be used as a coat in autumn/spring and even early winter. Problem is I feel like it is overpriced for just a blazer.. Generally, when I feel that way about an item, I look the other way and try to find something identical but cheaper. For most pieces I am interested in, it is not too hard to do so because they are classic pieces. I just need to compromise on details. But for this blazer, am wondering if I would be able to find the exact same one, as thick & well made for less than 1000£ and ideally around the 300-500£ mark...

Anyway my question is: when do you draw the line & say "I won't spend more than X on this item"? And what are you reasoning behind this? I remember Red mentioning this regarding her clutch as I believe she thought that it was too much money for something she would use occasionally. But, when it comes to a piece of clothing that can be used a lot, how do you do it?

I will put it on my wishlist and see if it is discounted during winter sales but.. I know that Joseph, Stella, Preen go on sale at 60% so the 700£+ price tag of the blazer get reduced to 300£ and that's more "reasonable" for a luxury item in wool etc.. But even if this blazer goes from 1,500£ to 800£ it still a bit.. too expensive..

Last edited by EvaH; 04-08-2013 at 05:43 AM.

04-08-2013
fashion insider

Evah:I think dividing the price by the number of wears works quite well, but there are other factors to consider as well. Like how well the item will wear, your own finances etc. I am in love with a pair of balenciaga ankle boots, but I struggle to justify spending almost two months worth of rent on a pair of shoes... I know Chelsea boots tend to wrinkle, white blazers get stained and silk tends to snag. These are important considerations in my book.

04-08-2013
backstage pass

Eva: Hmmmm... that is a difficult question since it depends on many factors. First of all, even if I'm not poor, my finances will put a Limitation. I think I never really bought anything more than 800 Euro so far. I wouldn't be ready to spend more than 1000 Euro on anything. If I really love something for more than 1000 Euro, I wait and see if it goes on sale. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't... But I just think that for me, the 1000 Euro limit is a limit that I don't cross. Even with a bag or a coat.

I have certain pictures in mind what I am ready to spend on an item, we once discussed that when we still had the shopping list thread. Some things are worth spending a bit more than others... For me, investment pieces are bags, certain kind of shoes (that I will wear a lot, like boots), a suit, a coat... I try to spend less on tees, sweaters, ballerinas, sandals since I wear them less and those are items that are easier to find during the sales. However, I am ready to spend more than what I usually do when I really really like something and it feels totally right in every aspect. Like the Pilotto silk blouse: I thought it was rather expensive, but the tailoring is so exquisite and I just really ADORED it - so I was ready to pay more than I usually do for short sleeved tops.

In case of your blazer, I would consider that the color is very light so it might stain quickly. Plus: maybe the cut isn't classical enough to wear it with everything? But in the end, it is your Feeling alone that can determine whether something is worth the splurge or not.

04-08-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Anyway my question is: when do you draw the line & say "I won't spend more than X on this item"? And what are you reasoning behind this?
It depends on a lot of different factors, but the most important one is your feeling about it. I always try to buy timeless pieces with a quality that probably lasts a lifetime. I try not to buy on impulse and fortunately I am very picky and not satisfied very quickly, that helps a lot! The other day I saw a beautiful red lace dress by Valentino but it was very simple (e.g. I can sew this myself, only the fabric is very difficult to find) with an price tag of 3300 Euro, the price and the simplicity persuaded me not to buy it. But I also saw a Chanel brooch (1050 euro), classic and timeless and I have been looking for a brooch for a very long time (for my boucle suit and dress) so I knew there wasn’t something better or cheaper and I asked my hubby what his opinion was and I let it sink in and ultimately counting all the pros and cons, I bought it. But the higher the price the more I hesitate and think about it, but it’s not the other way around for me: I’m not buying a lot from H&M or Zara, because most of the time the quality is not good enough. I only buy from Louis Vuitton/Prada etc. because of the design and the quality, not because of the designer name. And I don’t like big logos on their products. If it was possible I would buy the same stuff without any logos. Some time ago my hubby wanted black boots. The Alexander McQueen boots were not made of high quality leather, but the Church’s boots were, so he went for the last one. I have a white blazer, but I have worn it only once. I don’t know really what to wear with it and I’m afraid to stain it. In retrospect I was talked into it and shouldn’t have bought it. And that’s why it’s important to think about it and not buy it immediately.
The amount of time spend on deliberating and the limited budget/savings ultimately gives me a lot of satisfaction when all comes together when I buy it. Ultimately there are a lot of things you would like to have, but of this there are also a lot of things you don’t need. But often your feelings don’t work this way unfortunately, you’ll have to try to use your mind. In my expercience this works the best when you don’t buy it immediately.
Also there is the practicality of a piece. It would be wonderful you could use it a lot, but I have to admit I have stuff I truly love but I can’t wear it a lot and on the other hand there are some things I wouldn’t like to wear a lot because of the wear and tear of it, for example my Givenchy boots with velvet on the heels, this would peel off.
Hope this helps you a bit!

04-08-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Anyway my question is: when do you draw the line & say "I won't spend more than X on this item"?
I have quite the low budget, so that "helps": I make little per month and I don't like to splurge it, I like having back up money to go out (going to the cinema, dinners with friends, travelling to see my boyfriend who lives 300km away, etc - I don't have by any means an expensive lifestyle, although the boyfriend trips are kinda painful on my wallet...) and just to be comfortable in case something happens/I really need something.

So basically I draw the line considering my earnings and what else I want to do. I don't have an actual accounted budget, like, I believe, Betina has - but I know I'm not comfortable spending a lot because I don't earn a lot and I would never feel comfortable spending all of what I earn.

My most expensive items are:
1) My bag, a Leather Satchel Co I bought discounted from ASOS for ~100€;
2) My Hunters, which cost 90€ (my mum offered me those... the area where we live tends to flood a little sometimes )
and 3) My winter coat, bought December 2010 from Zara (70-80€ I believe; my mum offered me that too as I really needed one)
So you can tell my budget is way inferior but I also think that those are the kind of items one should invest in. A good winter coat and a good bag will last for years.

I also take the material into consideration. Now, I'm not as averse to polyester as the rest of you... but I'm not willing to pay a lot for it. There is this bag I got last year that cost I think 60€. I would NEVER pay that much for PU, so I got it new for maybe 10€ on eBay.

I do think that jacket/blazer has a great cut. It's a bit of a classic with a twist, which is classic enough in my view - but like RedandNavy said, the colour might be a problem. I believe that was the same reason why eizhowa got her white blazer from H&M?

I also think that if you feel uncomfortable with the price, maybe you're not willing to pay it for the item. Or maybe your personal line is somewhere below the price of that blazer.

04-08-2013
fashion insider

Barbaraa: My white hm blazer already has small mysterious yellow stain Fortunately, it is only noticable to me. If I paid more than I did I would be kicking myself...

Nymphaea: I think paying extra for jewelrys is more than fine. It is difficult to wear a broch to pieces Jewelry is great because you can pass it on to the younger generation as well.

04-08-2013
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
Barbaraa: My white hm blazer already has small mysterious yellow stain Fortunately, it is only noticable to me. If I paid more than I did I would be kicking myself...
Ten years ago, I bought a white Hugo blazer. It cost me around 200 or 250 Euro, I think. After wearing it three times, it had stains that never disappeared again... I kept it because I thought it was such a nice piece and besides, it wasn't cheap. But I never put it on again because of the stains. Finally, I gave it away. So I had my experiences with white blazers... never bought one again ever since.

04-08-2013
front row

^^ Ah, I'm sorry to hear that! So soon too. At least you did consider that beforehand...
Edit: Sorry to hear about yours too, RedandNavy

I bought a couple of blouses because I've been going to a lot of job interviews and I don't feel like most of my tops were adequate - and even when I only wear a shirt for three hours and I'm not sweaty, I have something about wearing it again... Like it feels/smells stale.
So I will try to be good until the end of the month.

04-08-2013
front row

barbaraaa Our budgets are quite similar, actually. It's great to find someone with a similar income as I find there a lot of higher-end shoppers on here.

Well, I seem to be enjoying my time at the seaside, haven't spent a lot of money except for 3€ for a very, very neccessary fan - the heat is terrible! Am thinking about my fall wardrobe though, and will do some research on what I will be getting, I already know what I want, but a few of the items I had picked aren't available anymore, sadly. I am a bit sad however, because of all my weight gain ... I've gained 15-20 kg in the past year, which is terrible. I know most of it is my own doing, but my doctor says the medication I'm taking is also to blame, so I will be looking to change that ASAP, hopefully after that, I can shed a few pounds. It's really making me feel down that I have this body I'm not accustomed to, especially now I'm at the beach, I feel like everyone is staring. So it's kind of making me not want to shop, but for fall I literally don't have anything to wear, as everything is too small ...

Last edited by Juliette; 04-08-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe