How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

04-08-2013
i'm almost ready..

^Juliette....hope you feel better about yourself soon. if it makes you feel better, i grew up at the beach and i can tell you we were never staring at people. i remember going to a nude beach in Spain a few years ago and feeling self conscious until i realized everyone was more focused on themselves... so try not to feel bad....i'm sure you look good, you just don't feel as good at the moment, and that can change.

Eva i really like the blazer but i agree with people that white/cream are tricky. i do own some items but i find myself feeling really precious when i'm wearing them....like i can't quite stop being aware of the fact that they're white and i need to be careful where i sit, what i lean on, etc. it's a bit of a pain.....especially if you've spent a lot of money on an item. perhaps you could find a less expensive version, then you might not be as devastated if it stained?

04-08-2013
fashion elite

Juliette I went to the beach last year after having a baby and I had bought a one piece to cover myself up because I felt incredibly self conscious. As soon as I got to the beach I saw all these older ladies wearing bikinis on their very unfit bodies but they didn't care. And no one was looking at them except for me who was admiting them. I decided to wear a bikini too because covering up more just made me feel worse.

EvaH I use the cost per wear method. If its expensive but you will wear all the time and it will pull your wardrobe together get it. That's the point of this method. But personally I'm nervous about white/cream. I want a pair of white skinny jeans but I'm not sure about them because I feel I will get them dirty straight away

04-08-2013
Power to the 99%

^ Just say no to the white jeans I really think it's best to avoid high-maintenance clothes. With this method, you really wear your clothes, you don't save them for imaginary occasions, put them on a Lucite pedestal to admire them, etc. If you want something light, I think a very pale khaki or silver is much more practical than white ... I also don't like that 'precious' feeling adorefaith mentioned (I suppose some people must though )

R&N, I pinned some earring ideas for you, various semi-precious stones, all reasonably priced. So far the people's choice is the agate ones ... those are the ones getting repinned

04-08-2013
fashion elite

Tata you are right I have some in very light grey I should just wear instead. Also I have a baby and white+baby is a really bad combination.

I'm interested in the capsule wardrobe idea. I might give it a go for spring. 20-30 items is quite a lot.

04-08-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Jina, I think you need one of these ... pretty sure this is referring to your bike

EvaH, my boyfriend's name in english is George, so I thought he would like it and he did. He found it funny too but knows I have a habit of giving names to 'everything'.
Years ago we found a hedgehog on his yard a few times (every time the same) and I named him too. We're still having jokes about him.

I must be the exception here, because I don't have any problems with white/light clothes at all. But have in mind most of them are worn in summer and except from the colour really low maintanace, I don't mind washing it after first/second day of wearing.
It's another story with blazers and such, because every little stain must be removed at the dry cleaners so that would be a hell of a hassle.

The most high maintanace piece od clothing has to be silk shirts. I love the feeling of silk on my skin, but hate taking care of it; handwashing and ironing, and they get wrinkled in no time.
I have a long-sleeved shirt on my list for FW and since many of you have a silk one I was wondering if you have some advice/'secret' about taking care of it or you just accepted they are so sensitive?

Regarding setting the financial limits I have some in mind for every piece of clothing, for example max. 250 € for a winter coat/80 € for a sweater/30 € for a basic tee and so on, and I cross that limits very rarely. In that case I would have to save for it, which I'm not fond of/can't justify it. I simply don't feel the need to splurge more than I'm comfortable with.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

04-08-2013
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
T.C: Welcome to the thread! I think it is very true that when you are feeling uninspired or tired in general, your outfits suffer. I know I always dress better (and shop more...) when I am in a really good mood Do you have any plans for the next season, or are you maybe waiting for some inspiration?
My mother recently returned from Europe with a few new Summery things for me... So inconjunction with what I already have I really don't need to buy anything (except maybe new black tappered trousers as my current pair is looking tired). Like I said in my previous post I just need to motivate myself to wear what I have. I'm back on a 'diet' now (just watching what I shove into my mouth) because I have managed to gain back all the weight I lost at the beginning of last year. I think feeling average about myself may be contributing to just feeling uninspired because almost everything I put on is a disappointment for me.

I also really need to do another major wardrobe cull and organize everything... I emptied all our furniture last weekend (we were remodelling our bedroom) and I am flabbergasted by how many clothes I still own considering I have been selling a lot. Obviously I'm shopping too much, but still not getting any closer to my 'ideal wardrobe'. I think I need therapy!

04-08-2013
Power to the 99%

^ This thread may be akin to therapy I think so many people's dysfunction shows up so clearly in their closets And if you follow feng shui at all, the idea there is that you can effect change from the outside in. I think that's true.

I went to a new antique mall today and among other things I found a basket to take to the farmer's market, which I've been looking for for awhile. Feeling very satisfied about that. It is handmade, very wabi-sabi ... and something like a tote

Killing time yesterday between the shoe people & dinner, I visited the Tory Burch and Christian Louboutin boutiques, among others ... I found nothing of interest. I've found a wallet I like online, planning to get that next. I'm going to check whether Nordstrom has it, so I can get points ... but I suspect they will not. (I did arrange today for triple points for my shoes now that I know I'm keeping them. That should get me a nice pile of Nordstrom Notes--basically $20 bills to spend there.) I checked out wallets at Jimmy Choo, Cole Haan, Tory Burch ... I felt the one I like is several levels above anything I saw Now if we could just get a Lanvin boutique here, the quality of local shopping would skyrocket ...

04-08-2013
Power to the 99%

As far as $$$ limits ... there is somewhat of a psychological barrier at the $1000 mark, but I do cross it. I tend to keep a lid on the total number of items more than I worry about how much I'm spending on each one. I want for each item to be outstanding in terms of design impact, usefulness, how much I love it, quality. If I've found something that does all of that, then it's worth spending on.

I guess I have another barrier at $1500. Anything I'm crossing it for better darn well be perfect, and there are certain items it's probably not going to be, such as a pair of pants. I also think that's too much to spend on shoes. I know very well I can get fantastic shoes for less as I've been doing so all these years.

I am probably willing to spend the most on a bag, but there I am thinking about other financial obligations and the complete picture of what I could be spending money on in addition to my wardrobe. Right now I am putting off buying a new bag until I have reached some other financial goals that don't have much to do with my wardrobe. I have bags I can carry, and I intend for them to work for the next ~3-4 seasons. After that I plan to do something major.

05-08-2013
trendsetter

@Twistelette: thanks a lot I am studying at the social science faculty and am planning to major in History and Social Sciences.

@Missstarshine: I really find that it helps as well! Unless the less expensive purchase is something I really want as well.

@Jina: I wish you and George a very happy life together

@Adorefaith: I do not think there is anything wrong with buying cheaper, more trend-based clothing once in a while as ong as the quality is still reasonable and you are planning on wearing them to pieces. I really love that cardigan!

@Eva: I aggree with the others. The blazer is gorgeous but I also tend to be extra cautious when wearing white (even if it is cotton) and I hate that feeling. It want my clothes to be "easy" to wear without any worries.

Regarding limits on the amount I spend on each item I mostly have them subconciously. I rarely spend more than 135 euros on a piece of clothing whereas I spend more on shoes and especially bags - up to 500+ euros. I prefer to spend the most money on things I wear regularly and therefore will spend more money on a pair of good boots than on an evening dress. The only somewhat expensive dress I have is the Malene Birger one I just bought for the wedding and had I been able to find a cheaper one that I liked just as much, I would probably have gotten that instead.

My limits would probably be higher if I had a higher income but ATM I find that my clothing budget would take up too big a percentage of my income if I did go higher. Like Ta-ta I mostly care about the total sum of my purchases on not the cost of the items themselves, and that is why I wish to buy less, so that I can buy better.

------

Me: deciding to not shop this month is a big relief. I did however find what appears to be the perfect grey cardigan (on my AW wishlist) and although it is tempting to buy it know I am going to wait for the 1st of September. I will feel better about my economics that way as well.

05-08-2013
tfs star

Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind me joining your thread.

I would consider myself a smart shopper. I only buy items I need and will wear on daily basis (unfortunately I don't have many things for special occasions ). I don't think I have any impulse purchase in my closet.
I try to spend more money on good quality, versatile everyday pieces and less on seasonal must-haves.

I've been knee-deep in my fall wardrobe planning for the past few days and here's my list. I have nothing to wear...Seriously!

- Leather riding boots: Willing to splurge.
- Biker boots or something similar for everday wear: I'm open to suggestions, but I don't want sneakers or oxford shoes or whatever they call them. I'm also not willing to spend much money.
- Jeans: I'm 5'11 and it's really hard to find great fitting jeans so I always end up spending around 100€ or more.
- 2 or more shirts: I like those from H&M. They're cheap, but fit me well and they're great quality. My favourite are still from Ralph Lauren though.
- New trench coat: I was thinking Zara or H&M since my experiences with them have been extremely positive (at least when it comes to trench coats).
- Few sweaters/cardigans
- Scarf or two: I've been eyeing a new one from Burberry for a while now.
- New bag wouldn't hurt either

I know it's only August but I would already like to buy few items to avoid financial shock in autumn.

05-08-2013
front row

Oooh, Miwi, you finally joined us, so excited to have you here.

Thanks for the encouraging words everyone, you always manage to make me feel better. As far as my fall wishlist goes, I'm pretty set on a pair of black Acne Pistol boots. I just hope they won't last only one season, in that case I would prefer to buy a less expensive pair! If any of you have a suggestion for a striped sweater or a black A-line/pleated/flared skirt, they would be more then welcome!

05-08-2013
Power to the 99%

^^ Suggest looking for a trench from a brand known for them ... perhaps something mid-range like London Fog, something like that. To me a positive experience with a trench coat is that you're still wearing it & don't need a new one

Juliette, believe R&N has a current picture of her Pistol boots posted somewhere ... I think they may be two years old?? That should give you an idea of what they'll look like following regular wear ... They will definitely last more than one season, but they may not look brand-new afterwards.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 05-08-2013 at 12:51 PM.

05-08-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
Juliette, believe R&N has a current picture of her Pistol boots posted somewhere ... I think they may be two years old?? That should give you an idea of what they'll look like following regular wear ... They will definitely last more than one season, but they may not look brand-new afterwards.
Well, I will be happy to post a picture of mine.

I bought mine in February 2012 and I have worn them constantly. The first winter I wore them every single day. The picture is about a month old.

I will definetely say that they last more than a season. I have used mine for two this far and they still have plenty of wear in them. Remember though, that the sizing is big (I could easily fit into size 35 even though I am always a 36) and that they get a lot wider around the ancles than they are in the beginning.

@Miwi
: welcome aboard. Sounds like you've got the wardrobe situation under control. I do not consider it a problem shopping for winter clothes at this point. I bought wool sweaters in April and even though I have not worn them yet I know they will be staples I can't live without for winter.

05-08-2013
tfs star

^^ Where did you get the second pair? I've been looking for something similar!

Fashionista-ta
, I don't think they ship to my country. But they do indeed have some nice trench coats! I also remembered I need (want actually) down winter coat. The one I have is from Zara and it's 3 or 4 years old. Still looks fine though, but I really want a new one.

I have two, classic beige trench coats, one from Zara and one from H&M. They're both around 7 years old. My favourite is from Zara (it has this classy look), but the inside lining has torn. And not just once, even though I sewed it up.
Of course the Burberry trench is the dream.

05-08-2013
trendsetter

@Miwi: They're from the danish brand Munderingskompagniet (or MDK). Not sure if that is available in your region

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe