How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

07-06-2013
front row

thanks Betina! oh, and congrats on the Snap regarding that maxidress

07-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistelette View Post
thanks Betina! oh, and congrats on the Snap regarding that maxidress
Thank you! That was indeed quite snappy!

07-06-2013
front row

If it's not skanky, I guess it could be adequate Whenever I feel the dress might me too short to be adequate I buy it in colours that can go with black tights without it looking weird - I agree that non-transparent tights make any length look more appropriate. Definitely talk with the bride if you have any doubts, though.
It is the pink drop-waist dress, I'm guessing? It definitely looks like it'd be adequate with some tights - and I agree that the high neck and the sleeves make up for the length. I'm also jealous you can pull that shape off

If it does get here on time, I'll be wearing it with black tights (it's suddenly colder here... also, the length thing I mentioned above ), the emotional-value black jacket I put on my "don't know what to wear this with" board and probably converse, as I don't want any of my better shoes to get ruined. It's Lisbon's "popular saints" party - the streets are going to be crowded. We celebrate our patron saint with sardines and kitsch music, which means I'm going to see this lady act lace or leopard print ensues...

07-06-2013
front row

sounds like a cool outfit, Barbaraaa!

07-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraaa View Post
If it's not skanky, I guess it could be adequate Whenever I feel the dress might me too short to be adequate I buy it in colours that can go with black tights without it looking weird - I agree that non-transparent tights make any length look more appropriate. Definitely talk with the bride if you have any doubts, though.
It is the pink drop-waist dress, I'm guessing? It definitely looks like it'd be adequate with some tights - and I agree that the high neck and the sleeves make up for the length. I'm also jealous you can pull that shape off

If it does get here on time, I'll be wearing it with black tights (it's suddenly colder here... also, the length thing I mentioned above ), the emotional-value black jacket I put on my "don't know what to wear this with" board and probably converse, as I don't want any of my better shoes to get ruined. It's Lisbon's "popular saints" party - the streets are going to be crowded. We celebrate our patron saint with sardines and kitsch music, which means I'm going to see this lady act lace or leopard print ensues...
I had the same exact thought about wearing tights with it. Which I am planning on since it is in October. - and yes, it is the pink one. It is not my best cut but I think I can pull it of. And I am going to throw up out of pure boredom if I end up in yet another fullskirted-kneelength dress.

Leopard print is probably mandatory, I guess Sounds like a nice outfit and the jacket would be perfect with the dress! So nice you figured out a way to wear it.

07-06-2013
front row

If you want to "innovate" in cuts, I say do it! If you couldn't pull it off, I'm sure you would be able to tell. Not only you are styled in form-flattering cuts in all of your pics (which means I trust your assessment of it), but, and this I know from personal experience - you'd know if it looked bad on you.

And I'm glad too! Maybe I'll be able to incorporate it more often

07-06-2013
tfs star

Betina, I think that pink dress is gorgeous. It is not the most flattering cut, but on the other side it is a very beautiful and interesting cut. I am very conservative about hemlines in weddings too, but I will be wearing over-the knee dress myself. The bride and groom are very young. I think the fact that the dress isn't fitted or shows any cleavage makes it more acceptable.

Do you know which shoes to wear with the dress?

Your friends, who weren't to crazy about the dress, do they have a similar style/taste as you?

Last edited by eizhowa; 07-06-2013 at 03:18 PM.

08-06-2013
trendsetter

@Barbaraa: Thank you for the trust. I can see that it is not the MOST flattering cut and that it would be better if it was a little less roomy around the waist - but I always have that problem. It made me FEEL good - and that is key for me when shopping.

Rediscovering things are the best!

@Eizhowa:
you are perfectly right. The length is mid-thigh-ish. It can not be shorter but like you are saying the rest of the dress makes up for the shortness. The bride and groom is my boyfriends father and his girlfriend. I know them very well and I really do not see them minding so I am considering just buying it.

I was thinking of wearing it with my python pumps, black tights, my y-mail clutch and my hair in some sort of updo. I do not think my hair will be long enough to do a bun when we reach October, but maybe I will roll it up in the back. - and maybe add a pair of big earrings. Not quite sure. Maybe the dress will speak for itself.

One girlfriend just did not like it generally and thought there were more flattering cuts for me, another friend liked it but thought it could be a wee bit smaller around the waist, a third friend liked it but thought it was a bit short and my mother thought it looked lovely and appropriate (at that point after spamming all sorts of people, I needed a grown-up's perspective since I guess she has been to more weddings :p) The friend that did not like the dress altogether also mainly wear things that are cut in the waist. Genereally I aggree with all of them on what is good and what is not.

Sorry about all my yappering. Big decissions here

08-06-2013
front row

I think drop waists are not the most flattering cut on anyone, but lovely nevertheless. They are always roomy around the waist, as they're more "straight-cut", but depending on the waist/hip ratio that may or may not look awkward (it does on me). If you felt good, go for it

08-06-2013
tfs star

^I think drop waist dresses can be very flattering. It kind of depends on what you mean by flattering. If by flattering you mean what will make you thinnest, perhaps drop waists are not the best bet if you are an hourglass. However, drop waist dresses can emphasize your hips or legs, depending on the cut. And I think those 20s/30s silhouettes are so amazing. I used to watch Chicago (2002) for hours when I was a young teenager

08-06-2013
front row

I didn't mean they weren't flattering, I definitely think they can be. I meant, I don't think they're anyone's best cut - but it can definitely look great!

09-06-2013
trendsetter

You are perfectly right on your thoughts on the drop waist cut. I actually think it does really show of my legs in the best way possible, and, due to the see through piece at the top, also my collar bones.

And if I always were to wear my BEST cut, I would have to go for one cut all day every day, and that would kinda be a bore, I guess.

Think I have to watch "Chicago"

-----

So.. I am not sure if I broke a mirror or something but I feel a bit out of luck ATM. Regarding materialistic things at least. Yesterday my camera broke. Dumbass here managed to drop it on the floor. Sigh. It did bum me out but I guess if that is the biggest of my problems I am doing pretty good. But I will definetely have to take my shopping down a notch for a while.

I am thinking about getting a new camera and maybe (not so sure anymore, since I really NEED a camera) also the dress. And then I will not be shopping any kind of clothing until I go to Berlin in the beginning of July - where I only plan on thrift shopping. After that I will try not to buy anything until I go to my mom's in the beginning of August, where we are going thrifting. Looking forward to see how it turns out. I will not be to steep about it. I just need to put a little more effort into my savings.

09-06-2013
front row

sounds like a plan, Betina!

about flattering dresses: only focussing on what is most flattering seems like a bit of a death trap to me, especially when you take 'flattering' to mean: what makes you look thinnest and tallest.
which is not to say I'm against looking good but looking good can mean so much more, you know?

09-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistelette View Post
sounds like a plan, Betina!

about flattering dresses: only focussing on what is most flattering seems like a bit of a death trap to me, especially when you take 'flattering' to mean: what makes you look thinnest and tallest.
which is not to say I'm against looking good but looking good can mean so much more, you know?
I know excactly what you mean!

11-06-2013
backstage pass

The sale at COS started and since pretty much everything I got there last year(s) is still in heavy rotation I might get a couple of nice things there.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe