How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

08-08-2013
front row

I have about 150 pieces, including shoes and bags, excluding what you mentioned plus camis (which I consider to be underwear) and sneakers and jeans that I rarely use anymore but keep in case they're needed (in case I gain weight).

This probably sounds a lot to many of the people in this thread. This was a wardrobe built and revamped for the last seven years, with all the changes that envolved - from school to uni to desperately trying to find a job, and not all of the pieces I bought "stopped making sense", so to say, along the years. I clean my closet every year and every year there is usually something going. This year I was pretty "extreme": I got rid of some of my more childish/casual tees and of all blues I own, as blue makes me look sick. I don't buy blue anymore

I don't want to have the least pieces possible, I want my wardrobe to be well thought and pondered and to make sense (pieces that go together). I find Pinterest very useful to "test" my love for the pieces

---

Also, today my mum offered me this:

08-08-2013
trendsetter

@Miwi: bummer about the boots. Hope you will find a really good pair soon. Maybe you can find some comfort in not compromising. That's something to be proud of, I think!

@T_C: I have been contemplating making a list of what is in my wardrobe. Maybe a project for next week where I am not working. I will get back to you on that matter.

------

The heel cap on my bloch ballet flats loosened so I will have to take them to the cobbler next week. Not sure wether that is to be expected (I've had them since November last year and have worn them quite a lot for woek) or if I should try another brand next time I shop for ballet flats.

08-08-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraaa View Post
I have about 150 pieces, including shoes and bags, excluding what you mentioned plus camis (which I consider to be underwear) and sneakers and jeans that I rarely use anymore but keep in case they're needed (in case I gain weight).

This probably sounds a lot to many of the people in this thread. This was a wardrobe built and revamped for the last seven years, with all the changes that envolved - from school to uni to desperately trying to find a job, and not all of the pieces I bought "stopped making sense", so to say, along the years. I clean my closet every year and every year there is usually something going. This year I was pretty "extreme": I got rid of some of my more childish/casual tees and of all blues I own, as blue makes me look sick. I don't buy blue anymore

I don't want to have the least pieces possible, I want my wardrobe to be well thought and pondered and to make sense (pieces that go together). I find Pinterest very useful to "test" my love for the pieces

---

Also, today my mum offered me this:
Great sweater! Is it houndstooth? I love houndstooth!

Regarding the size of your wardrobe, I do not want the smallest wardrobe possible, but at the same time I feel best when having a small but versatile wardrobe that only contains things I want to wear any day.

09-08-2013
trendsetter

How careful does one have to be about clothes getting bleached by the sun? I have an open wardrobe and normally the sun does not reach it, but today it did and I panicked a bit. Maybe a curtain to cover the whole thing would be a good investment.

09-08-2013
fashion elite

barbaraaa you make me want to go and count how many items I have. I suspect it's many more than your 150. I have a bit of a collection too because I went from student to party girl to professional to pregnant person to stay at home mum. So I have quite a few boxes of clothes that I will probably need in a few years time but I don't need now.

09-08-2013
fashion elite

37 sweaters/cardigans, 25 pairs of shoes, 20 pairs of jeans, 15 jackets. I don't think I should keep counting in case my husband reads this. There are 57 dresses/skirts hanging in my wardrobe and at least that many put away till summer

09-08-2013
fashion elite

I have about 125 pieces (bags/shoes/dresses/skirts/sweater/coats etc.). It's more than I thought in numbers but on the rack it doesn't look that much. I think it's quite average or it feels quite average.

@Betinapple: I always keep the sun in mind when I dry my clothing. I put my near white stuff in the sun, but dark colors in the shade. The sun does bleach clothing, but I think after some time, so probably your save, but I would cover them to be sure. In my home there is a small wooden table directly behind the window in the sun and one in the middle of the room without direct sun and after a year of sun exposure, the difference is very visible.

09-08-2013
front row

Well, I don't feel as bad then

The sun does bleach dark clothing... All my black canvas sneakers have some brown to them that wasn't there when I bought them. But like Nymphaea said, it does take a while for that to happen.

And yes, Betina, it is houndstooth!

09-08-2013
tfs star

I think I have about 70-80 pieces (my excel spreadsheet is at home, so I don't know the exact amount. I might have forgotten something) This is including what I have in storage, but not what I have put aside to sell. I would also like to reduce the number of dresses I own. I always dreamed I'd have a daughter who could inherit some of my silk dresses, but I don't know if I have the patience to store them for that long. I hate clutter.

Tees/tops/knits: 12
Trousers/jeans: 6
Dresses: 20 (I plan to reduce to 10)
Shoes: 13
jackets and coats: 14
bags/scarves/belts: 7
Work uniform: 3
= 75

I intend to continue and purge until I feel done.
--

Sun bleaching, my mother drove from Denmark to Norway, and her green blazer turned yellow is some areas... just 8-10 hours in the sun, through a window (I am too tired to try and think if that makes a difference right now). I think it matters if you are getting morning light, or mid-day sunlight on your clothes. The latter would be much worse.

--

I posted a picture of the Kain dress I bought, but not all of you could see it, so I am trying again.

I intend to wear it mainly during the day during summer/spring. I am still looking for a LBD for night.

theoutnet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 388641_in_xl.jpg (112.6 KB, 3 views)

09-08-2013
trendsetter

I have a lot more pieces than lets say eizhowa (and I shop less consequently ), so counting them would be tiresome and pointless, especially since I'm not willing to make my wardrobe smaller. I got rid of the things that didn't work for any reason whatsoever months ago and am selling a few things but that's about it.

Though I still have quite a few pieces I didn't wear in a long time (mainly T's, I have a lot of them, and a lot of them I got as a gift too. I consider them as unsustainable items in general, like underwear).
I'm striving to have a fully functional and cohesive wardrobe, with something to wear for each occasion, from chilling at home/sports to special occasions.

Also noticing that I have less outerwear than most of you here, I own just one winter coat, but this one is really classic and versatile, so I'm wearing it a whole winter long. It's been worn for 2 seasons and I am not planning to buy a new one for the upcoming season.
In addition I have a black leather jacket which I am wearing a lot, and two blazers.
Also I'm not buying more than one pair of shoes per season, hard to find the right one.

Below is my list for FW, as promised . I am planning to purchase those pieces from August up to and including sales in January, so there is plenty of time.

- black ankle boots (preferably chelsea boots - replacing them)
- grey V-neck sweater (replacing it)
- breton stripe sweater (optional)
- tailored woolen trousers (already found a pair, hope to get them in London)
- leather satchel (need an additional one to Alexa)
- formal long-sleeved shirt (not polyester)
- black leather cuff (to replace my worn out Hermès one)
- grey dress, (replacing it, 3/4 or long-sleeved)
- trench coat (replacing the one I had to throw away)

Really boring list I suppose, but those pieces are highly needed.
Feel free to pin me some recommendations.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 09-08-2013 at 04:51 PM.

09-08-2013
Power to the 99%

^^ Great dress, eizhowa.

That's interesting ... I would have expected the sun to be much weaker where you are than where I am. I have had things hanging in a closet with the door typically open (I had accordian doors) end up with one shoulder bleached. The things I can remember having an issue with were silk.

jina, 'worn out Hermes' is striking a sour note with me That shouldn't happen, right?

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 09-08-2013 at 05:26 PM.

09-08-2013
trendsetter

I suppose it shouldn't, but keep in mind that it's practically attached to me, I'm wearing it daily (so as the watch) for 3 years. It's not that I would have to store it in the drawer and never wear it anymore as I get a new one, but I need additional one to prevent from completely destroying it.
The leather is in good condition, it's quality is great, but on the hardware (a large part of the cuff) there are some scratches and colour folded off in some places.
In the end I find it quite understandable for a piece of accessory that sits on my wrist for years and is therefore very exposed.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 09-08-2013 at 07:03 PM.

09-08-2013
Power to the 99%

^ I wonder if the hardware could be refurbished? Have you talked to Hermes about that? I'm just thinking if anyone's products should last a lifetime ...

As far as number of pieces ... I think I may be in just the brain-dead state to feel like attempting a count

This doesn't count clothes I wear at home and in the yard and very occasionally to run a short errand. It also doesn't count things I currently have in my back closet (such as heavy winter clothes.)

First coats, that's easy: 2. One classic trench and one black uncut corduroy that looks like velvet.
Shoes: 25 pair + 1 pair garden clogs. (I thought there would be more.)
Dresses: 3. Make that 2.
Jackets: 4
Tops and blouses: 11
Sweaters including knit shells: 18
Tees and knit tops: 11
Skirts: 17
Pants: 9

Looks like that is exactly 100 ...

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 09-08-2013 at 10:59 PM.

09-08-2013
Power to the 99%

Also just wanted to mention ... I have been wearing lately some espadrille wedges with green croc straps that I bought some years ago when I did a color theme around them (they are ivory/green/red/yellow/black plaid ... actually Burberry but I think I'm the only one who knows that). Anyway, I've been getting lots of compliments on them, which when something has significant age on it, I take to be a sign of good shopping Have also been enjoying wearing them.

10-08-2013
backstage pass

Oh, I see you are counting pieces... Will do that soon.

Actually I reorganized my clothes yesterday. I did quite a heavy clean out. I decided to give away quite a few pieces that I really liked for a long time but that were either just not looking their best anymore (stains, fabric was showing wear etc...) or that just didn't feel right anymore. For example, I gave away a silk blouse with spaghetti straps since I'm just not feeling right in spaghetti straps anymore.

Some of the good stuff I gave to a friend with a vintage store - and luckely two pieces were sold within a few hours The rest I will donate. It's been one of the most radical cleanouts in my history, but I think it feels right.

Also, for the first time I arranged my stuff by color - which gives me a better Vision of my color scheme. I noticed that I have quite a few orange pieces and that I don't want to give up on them. I think orange is a color that suits me very well. So I'll Keep a burnt Version of orange in my color scheme, together with bordeaux, a rich (mustard/sunny) version of yellow and teal. As for neutrals, I have black, navy, greys, brown and camel and I think they all work well. I don't see a reason to limit the color scheme down now, but I will stay away from colors that don't really go with any of these (like baby pink).

For fall and winter, I realized I still must invest a bit on the Sweater front. It's just something we need a lot here. I also really need that practical biker boot. I think I'll start with the biker boot next month and will add sweaters and maybe a dress later during the season.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe