How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

10-08-2013
front row

Hi everyone

I just dropped by to say that I did leave all the recs board but only because I want to create another account with only recommendations from tfs! Since I am starting to really enjoy the Pinterest thing and use it to organise not only my wardrobe but my homes & cooking recipes as well, my page was becoming a bit too crowded

Also, does the "new" members want to join? I read some pages ago that someone (Miwi?) was asking about riding boots, I pinned some Saint-Laurent (>800£) and Marni (< 500£) boots from net-a-porter so I thought you might be interested..

Biker boots, I have my eyes set on some Ganvito Rossi but for a more affordable price, I saw a lot of nice Florentini & Baker boots in all shape and forms

Silk & cashmere, I think it is a nice combination. Every items I have tried were really soft & comfortable

Feeling self-conscious, I too put on some weight this past year and I felt quite awful. Now I am at the hospital and I came to term with the fact that the body changes for whatever reason and you just need to accept it and embrace it. I also don't see my body the same way and respect it way more for its strength. I never really understood how blessed I was to be in good health and how luck I was to have the body that I had.
A couple of months ago I didn't want to buy trousers because I went from a UK 8 to a UK 10 and it I was mad at myself/ashamed. Now I am too thin and would gladly go back to my size 10 because now I need the extra weight..
Bottom line is, don't sweat too much on the way you look at the beach: you are in good health & you can go, so go If you really want to loose the weight, you will at your pace. But don't stop living in the mean time and enjoy being able to go lounge in the sun for those of us who can't

Silk items: I only have one so far and just like Barbara I can't wear twice the same clothes. I know that too much cleaning can have a bad effect on clothes so my way of doing it is to wear it once, put it on the balcony/terrace/whatever for a couple of hours, store it again and then wear it a couple of weeks after. If it is not stained, after wearing it 3 times, I clean it by hand as well.

Betina, glad you reached a place where you still enjoy fashion/are interested in it but it does not consume you and you can choose to pass on an opportunity to shop and do something more meaningful/enjoyable for you

Blazer, I unpinned it. Cream is not in my colour scheme and I decided that on top if black/white/red/blue I want to add grey and camel/brown, not cream Also the blazer was indeed too expensive. I don't want to put so much in such a piece. I don't even think a blazer that I could wear year-around would be worth it! So thank you for talking me out of it

misstarsunshine, I will look more into the cost per wear item & I also think I need to think a bit more "globally" (ie overall cost of 4-5 piece method) on top of setting a limit for each items.

White items, I am a bit like Jina regarding that. I love my white pieces and white is one of the colour that goes really well with my skin tone. I always feels like a million dollars when I go for white/gold or white/red combination. I don't think it is high maintenance at all as I don't easily stain my clothes. I absolutely love white jeans, white trousers and white blazers On the other hand, I bring most of my clothes to the dry cleaner (even my mango blazer back in the day ), for me it is not a hassle but I understand that going to the dry cleaner weekly is very expensive and unaffordable on a student budget :/

Tangerine dress, it is too big and I can't be bothered altering it so it is going back

Items count, I am a bit of an anomaly here. I hate having too much. From april to June I did a huge cleaning (I had around 30 pieces including everything but lingerie), then in late June/early July I purchased a LOT of things. I ended up send back half of them... In order to count my items as I don't have access to it I divided my Pinterest in several categories and realised that I kept/own more shoes/handbags/jewellery combined than clothes..
My list:
27 Tops
- 8 long sleeves tops
- 6 3/4 sleeves top
- 6 jumpers/sweaters
- 4 short sleeves top
- 3 t-shirts

7 Outerwear
- 1 trench
- 1 cardicoat
- 1 cardigan
- 4 blazers
-> I must invest here a bit more as I live in a rainy & cold climate.

11 Bottoms
- 6 jeans
- 2 trousers
- 3 shorts

14 dresses & 2 skirts
-> I am happy that although I own a lot of dresses, most if not all of them are for daily wearing and can be paired up with a lot of warmer items !

9 Handbags
-> clearly I went overboard

15 Shoes
2 sandals
3 sneakers
2 pumps
6 pair of boots (I am going to replace one or two)
2 pair of ballerina (I need 2 to 4 more)

Total 85 pieces

I did not count my active wear/jewellery and I don't have loungewear yet (using t-shirts + leggings )

Last edited by EvaH; 10-08-2013 at 04:22 AM.

10-08-2013
fashion elite

@eizhowa: nice dress, very versatile, you can dress it up and down. Some gold statement jewelry would make it very glam.

I've ordered the cashmere/silk sweater, I think it will arrive tuesday. I'm very curious for the feeling of it and the quality.

My wishlist for fall/winter although I don't really need anything:
- Gucci ankle boots, I think I will wait and see how fast it sells, because they are very simple I don't want to pay the full price, so I hope to purchase them during the sale.
- Louboutin Pigalle patent red, waiting for new stock.
- Celine boots, waiting where they are going to be sold and how they look in real life/quality.
- Long leather gloves, probably Mulberry, but haven't seen them yet in store/online.
- Black hat, wide-brimmed, Maison Michel or other.
- Wintercoat Etro, black, classic and long.
- Chanel vintage handbag, I really don't like the current ones, they don't look luxury.
Some items will drop from the list because of the quality or because they aren't that nice in real life or I spot something that's nicer.

10-08-2013
tfs star

My newest everyday bag purchase.

My pic

I still love my Hamilton bag and I've been wearing it almost every day since I got it, but I also wanted to have a bag that I can carry around without being over-careful. I treat all my things carefully, but this bag is particularly delicate. Not to mention I cram my bag with way too much stuff which makes it really heavy. But this new bag of mine is big enough to fit everything in it that I need every day without being weighed down.

10-08-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
Also noticing that I have less outerwear than most of you here, I own just one winter coat, but this one is really classic and versatile, so I'm wearing it a whole winter long. It's been worn for 2 seasons and I am not planning to buy a new one for the upcoming season.
In addition I have a black leather jacket which I am wearing a lot, and two blazers.
I only have one winter coat too! Winter here is about mid/late November to early March (and temperatures rarely go below 10ºC ), so I can totally handle only having one... Apart from it I own three blazers and a short trench.

10-08-2013
trendsetter

Can't seem to keep up with this thread ATM!

Thank you all for your advice regarding my storage issues. I will look into having a drape put up. I can get the "hardware" at IKEA for a very small price and the drape I can sew myself. Maybe a project for next week when I have a week off.

I will also do a count of my clothing and maybe finally find some time to put up some items for sale.

@Eizhowa: You've got a really small wardrobe, I think! I do not think I would be able to make do with no more than 12 tops. Love the dress and I think you could easily use it for evning wear as well until you find the perfect one.

@Jina: In time I have come to realize that all the "boring" stuff is the ones I get to love and wear the most, so I think your fall list sounds wondeful. I do not own a lot of outerwear neither. I have a parkacoat for winter, a trench, two leather jackets (I only wear the black one regularly) and a wool cape. That's all I need.

@Ta-ta: I do not think I will ever be able to make do with only three dresses. I bought five just this season and I wear them contantly.

@Red:
sounds so nice with a wardrobe cleaning. I have quite a few items I want to get rid of as well.

@Eva:
thank you dear Very wise words of yours about body image. I struggle with that sometimes as well, and just as you mention it helps for me to think not of how my body looks but about what it can do.

Nice that you reached a good conclusion regarding the blazer.

10-08-2013
Power to the 99%

While counting, I demoted a dress (will wear it at home) and got rid of a shirt and vest. The vest matched a skirt I bought in my 20s and wore out some time ago. I'm going to a clothing exchange in a couple weeks ... not necessarily expecting to get anything, but it's a good chance to offload those items that seem 'too good to donate.' All these things are currently in my storage room/back closet ... it's not a lot, but it will be good to clear it out. Eventually I would like to make that room or perhaps part of it into another bath. Perhaps a larger back closet/storage area + expansive bath.

Also realized I forgot my new shoes that are at the cobbler ... but no clothes at the cleaners, just household things I believe.

What's in the back closet that I still wear are I believe a handful of heavy sweaters and a skirt that I'm debating offloading.

11-08-2013
trendsetter

I think I might need to update my collection of underwear and hosiery a bit. ATM I only have one pair of black stockings since the weather has been good for so long. Fall is coming though, and today I could have easily worn tights under my dress since my legs were freezing. I will need to buy both regular microfiber tights and some fleece lined ones for winter. I think I will try to me more practical about these kind of things and decide how many pairs I will need to make do between laundry days. I will buy the amount I need and replace when needed. I am planning on doing the same with socks and panties. With panties I have a certain brand I prefer, so I think I will just buy a load of those when I find them marked down, and replace them when they start to fade in colour (which will take years).

How do you make sure that your staples are up to date? I must admit that I am not perfect at replacing faded knickers although I feel sloppy when I don't.

11-08-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
I think I might need to update my collection of underwear and hosiery a bit. ATM I only have one pair of black stockings since the weather has been good for so long. Fall is coming though, and today I could have easily worn tights under my dress since my legs were freezing. I will need to buy both regular microfiber tights and some fleece lined ones for winter. I think I will try to me more practical about these kind of things and decide how many pairs I will need to make do between laundry days. I will buy the amount I need and replace when needed. I am planning on doing the same with socks and panties. With panties I have a certain brand I prefer, so I think I will just buy a load of those when I find them marked down, and replace them when they start to fade in colour (which will take years).

How do you make sure that your staples are up to date? I must admit that I am not perfect at replacing faded knickers although I feel sloppy when I don't.
I usually stock up on these items (and other staples too, like standard makeup items and PJs, etc.) when Nordstrom offers multiple points rewards, which happens a number of times throughout the year. Also took advantage of Anniversary Sale a few weeks ago. At Christmas is the very best time, that's when I usually do it for sure. If things do start to look sad or sparse, I go shopping.

I like to have a bunch of tights because I launder them separately from anything else. Usually for me a pair lasts for years.

I am amazed at the thought of needing tights in August!! It was 100 degrees here yesterday.

Re dresses, the two I have I really don't wear much. They are not my thing

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 11-08-2013 at 10:12 AM.

11-08-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I usually stock up on these items (and other staples too, like standard makeup items and PJs, etc.) when Nordstrom offers multiple points rewards, which happens a number of times throughout the year. Also took advantage of Anniversary Sale a few weeks ago. At Christmas is the very best time, that's when I usually do it for sure. If things do start to look sad or sparse, I go shopping.

I like to have a bunch of tights because I launder them separately from anything else. Usually for me a pair lasts for years.

I am amazed at the thought of needing tights in August!! It was 100 degrees here yesterday.

Re dresses, the two I have I really don't wear much. They are not my thing
Thank you for your answer. Unfortunately I do not have that kind of opportunity but my brand of preference is often available marked down.

It is really odd regarding the tights, since it has been unbearably hot the past month. Today it was sooo cold though. I wore a short dress and my colleague shorts when we went to the fashion fair to shop the SS line for the Boys department at our store, and we were freezing!

11-08-2013
backstage pass

Hmmmm... with underwear and hosiery, I usually don't buy anything for quite a long time until it really becomes obvious that I need to stock up again. And then I do buy several pieces at a time so that I don't have to think about it again for quite a while. I used to love spending on gorgeous Lingerie some years ago, but I realized that those pieces really just served me well in the bedroom. Embroideries and lace can be not so useful under t-shirts when they Show through and I've realized corsages aren't really meant for everyday wear either. So now I usually buy stuff that looks rather nice but above all is also practical as UNDERwear. Most of my Lingerie is from Chantelle since their bras are the best quality I know. But most is rather simple. Tights I buy from Wolford since those a pair of Wolford tights lasts for ages - at least on me. I have tights that I've regularly worn in no less than five years Before that I used to buy tights at a cheap local store and had to replace them after nearly every wear...

11-08-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedandNavy View Post
Hmmmm... with underwear and hosiery, I usually don't buy anything for quite a long time until it really becomes obvious that I need to stock up again. And then I do buy several pieces at a time so that I don't have to think about it again for quite a while. I used to love spending on gorgeous Lingerie some years ago, but I realized that those pieces really just served me well in the bedroom. Embroideries and lace can be not so useful under t-shirts when they Show through and I've realized corsages aren't really meant for everyday wear either. So now I usually buy stuff that looks rather nice but above all is also practical as UNDERwear. Most of my Lingerie is from Chantelle since their bras are the best quality I know. But most is rather simple. Tights I buy from Wolford since those a pair of Wolford tights lasts for ages - at least on me. I have tights that I've regularly worn in no less than five years Before that I used to buy tights at a cheap local store and had to replace them after nearly every wear...
I do not buy fancy lingerie neither. Only at very few occasions, anyhow.

I primarily wear soft bras (not wired or padded) and seamless microfiber hipsters so that is my focus. I have loads of other panties but it is rather pointless since I prefer the seamless ones, so I will invest in a bunch of those.

I really have had a hard time believing that Wolford tights should be worth the money, but maybe I should give it a try. They sound rather impressing. How often do you wear your tights? I wear black tights every day during the winter, so I need something that will hold up.

11-08-2013
fashion elite

Seeing how many items everyone has here makes me really want to do a wardrobe clean out. I have a lot of dresses and skirts, however I do wear most of them at least a couple of times during the year and I am a lady that likes a bit of choice. Same with my jackets/coats. I could never have only 1 or 2. I would get bored. But I have realised that there are quite a few items that I do not wear or wouldnt care if I didnt have them.

11-08-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by misstarshine View Post
Seeing how many items everyone has here makes me really want to do a wardrobe clean out. I have a lot of dresses and skirts, however I do wear most of them at least a couple of times during the year and I am a lady that likes a bit of choice. Same with my jackets/coats. I could never have only 1 or 2. I would get bored. But I have realised that there are quite a few items that I do not wear or wouldnt care if I didnt have them.
If you're happy with the way things are, hey

I didn't mention the brands I wear ... typically DKNY for tights. Not as expensive as Wolford (which I haven't yet tried), but they do last me for years. Bear in mind that I have a rotation of probably 15 pair give or take, and my winter is not that long. Bras, right now I have mostly Wacoal, also have worn La Mystere in the past (all underwire, the kind without make me a funny shape, and it's not a good funny ). Underwear, I like Felina. Microfiber is too hot in this climate ...

11-08-2013
trendsetter

Ta-ta, regarding the Hermés bracelet, I will look into it. It would be great if they could refresh it a bit.

Underwear/hosiery: I love buying both, so I rarely have a real need to stock up in large quantities, it's more likely that I have to stop myself from buying a set of lingerie every month. I buy two sets per season on average and my favourite brands are Intimissimi, Lisca (local), Lindex, Oysho ...
I usually buy some tights at Calzedonia and similar when the fall begins, I rarely wear them in winter, because it's too cold for dresses and skirts (I hate tights and trousers combo, gives me itches and brings on childhood traumas ). I have all kinds of it, but mostly wearing black ones, opaque or sheer. I like printed tights too, especially in dots and stripes.
Those below are currently my favourite.

asos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg asos2.jpg (22.8 KB, 0 views)

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

12-08-2013
trendsetter

@Missstarshine: I do not think you should have a small wardrobe if you do not feel like it but getting rid of things that you do not want to wear any way was a big relief for me.

@Ta-ta: not sure if DKNY tights is available in my area. I prefer Calvin Clein for underwear. Fortunately they have an outlet in a nearby town. I buy my tights in a danish grocery store - they are cheap but last me just fine.

@Jina: cute tights! I love the two tone look. I am rather conservative with tights myself though, I prefer simple black ones. I find tights to keep me much warmer during the winter than pants does. I will wear a combination of fleecelined tights under regular microfiber ones.

@Bleaching: can closed really be bleach by the sun through a window? I came to think of it since the clothes in our window display at work do not get bleached.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe