How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

12-08-2013
Power to the 99%

^ Yes, anything can and will be affected by sunlight through a window. It affects floors, furniture, your skin, etc. too, not just clothes. I've seen a leather bag in a display window fade in the sun.

13-08-2013
front row

Yes, they definitely do. I used to have a lampshade near my bedroom window... one side of it faded I guess the clothes on the display window just don't stay there long enough for the bleaching to be visible.

I'm a fan of Calzedonia too, Jinadaze although, like Betina, I tend to buy my opaque tights in a grocery store, as they still last me a while.

13-08-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraaa View Post
Yes, they definitely do. I used to have a lampshade near my bedroom window... one side of it faded I guess the clothes on the display window just don't stay there long enough for the bleaching to be visible.

I'm a fan of Calzedonia too, Jinadaze although, like Betina, I tend to buy my opaque tights in a grocery store, as they still last me a while.
Darn it

I have taken care of the problem by removing more of the clothes I do not wear on a regular basis (dresses that are too big/not me but I have been holding on to anyhow, partydresses that I do not wear often enough to have them taking up closet space - they've been boxed and put in the attic) in order to make more space on the racks so that I could have all the clothes hanging in the spot where the light does not reach it.

13-08-2013
fashion insider

I've received my Miu Miu sweater, it's soft and comfy but unfortunately a bit short on me. I'm gonna exchange it for a larger size, hopefully it won't be too wide. I'll wait and see!
Does anyone know other brands selling soft cashmere(/silk) high quality sweaters that are a bit longer?

14-08-2013
trendsetter

@Nymphaea: sorry about the sweater. Hope the next size will be better.

---------

I counted the items in my wardrobe yesterday and here is what I've got:

5 blouses
2 cardigans
5 sweaters
8 jackets (leather, boucle, blazers)
9 skirts
13 dresses
1 pair of jeans
8 basic tops
14 pairs of shoes
6 bags

All in all: 79 pieces excluding socks, underwear, swimwear and hoisery, loungewear (an additional 7 pieces), sportswear (4 pieces) and things packed away for the time being (23 pieces). Also I have more than 50 pieces to be put up for salve/donate.

The pieces in rotation has cost me around 6340$ which makes for an avrrage price of 80$ and since I think I have a lot of quality pieces I do not find that to be a whole lot.

14-08-2013
Power to the 99%

^ You are cracking me up with your average and total costs I would be hard-pressed to come up with that info, as I definitely have things in my wardrobe that pre-date any record keeping.

14-08-2013
tfs star

Ta-ta, I once calculated how much I had spent on my wardrobe and then calculated the original retail price of my wardrobe. It was on average 50% off:lol

It is getting colder where I live, and I have been thinking a lot about my fall wardrobe color scheme the last few days. I feel like I have the essential items for winter, but I wouldn't mind introducing a new color or two. I am thinking brown and burgundy... I need something that will work with grey and copper/caramel.

I also feel like I have no idea what to look for in a winter coat. I need something that I will wear for the next 3-4 years until I am not studying anymore. I only know I want something wool, and about mid-thigh. I think my legs look very short in a longer coat... Any advice what to look for?

Betina, how are your plans to sell unloved clothes going? I have about 35 pieces I'd like to shift myself, but the idea of all the work is so daunting...

Last edited by eizhowa; 14-08-2013 at 02:50 PM.

14-08-2013
fashion elite

Eizhowa - I have plans to sell unwanted clothes too but I keep putting it off because I've never sold anything on eBay before.

I like to calculate the retail cost and actual cost of what I'm wearing some days. Especially because I buy mostly on sale or from eBay. I like doing it for my daughter too. The other day she was wearing at least $250 worth of clothes!

Do any of you have any tips for lengthening the life of a swimsuit? I realised the other day I need to buy a new one as the fabric in all mine has started falling apart

14-08-2013
tfs star

^I calculate the retail and actual value of my outfits too I do a lot of walking everyday and have a lot of time to think...

I guess making sure the swim suit is rinsed after use if the only advice I can give... Which isn't much...

14-08-2013
fashion elite

Yeah rinsing is the only one I know too. It's so frustrating because finding swimsuits is one of my most hated shopping experiences

15-08-2013
trendsetter

@Ta-ta: the price is an estimate. I do not have the excact price on all of the things i thrifted but I remember the approximate price and have used that. I would never be able to know how much my wardrobe is really worth like Eizhowa, since I am really bad at remembering the retail price if I paid less.

@Eizhowa: I think burgundy would be perfect for you! Maybe you could start out with a scarf? For a coat I think something camel would be classic and go very well with your colour scheme.

As for the clothes, I think I am putting them on Trendsales, a danish version of ebay(ish) and then I will definetely try to sell them through my blog since that seems to be the easiest way. It is not too big a hassle for me since I already have pictures of the clothes (and me wearing it) due to the fact that I have a blog. I do not want to put all items up for sale since a lot of it is H&M and such and the amount of money I would get out of the trouble is too small. Those pieces I will just donate.

@Missstarshine:
I do that as well

I think I heard something about not laundering bathingsuits in the machine but other than that I have only heard the same thing as you guys: always rinse after wear

15-08-2013
front row

Swimsuits shouldn't be left to dry in the sun - it will damage the lycra/elastane. Former swimmer here

15-08-2013
trendsetter

So. My month of no shopping has been going quite well so far. Very well actually since I haven't been missing it at all and I have not seen anything I really wanted. I am looking forward to purchasing my long, grey cardigan, when the 1st of September arrives though.

Today I felt a bit tempted though, since I saw a dress I really liked. It is from H&M but in a modal/cotton blend. I really love low back and the print that reminds me of diamonds, somehow. I might look into it when we hit first of September if it is still available. If not, well, then I can buy something else.

15-08-2013
fashion insider

Oh yes, nice dress, sexy back!

15-08-2013
trendsetter

BTW I am really in doubt regarding the bag situation, yet again. I was pretty sure I would buy the Rika bag, but the past weeks it is a black bag with silver hardware I have been "missing" when getting dressed in the morning.

Please feel free to pin anything to match that description, to my recommandations board on pinterest. I need something that can hold a 10" tablet and a camera.

THX a bunch ladies

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe