How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

19-08-2013
Power to the 99%

^ That's what we use Pinterest for

19-08-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorefaith View Post
i'm starting to think about creating a somewhat focused 'wish list' for fall... i want some way to save/collect pictures as inspiration and see what the general likenesses are between them....what the common threads are in what i like and am drawn to... and then combine that with pieces i already have to figure out what i'd like to buy, and start looking for those items. does that make sense?

does anyone have any suggestions on how best to do this? saving pictures individually is good but it doesn't really allow me to view them comparatively or as a whole.... i signed up for polyvore but it doesn't seem like i can save or upload pictures of outfits, just select individual items.
You can "clip" almost any picture from the internet using the "clipper"-tool on Polyvore, but not from your own collection of images on your computer. If you want to use those images, first upload them to Pinterest (on a secret board if you'd like), and then "clip" them to Polyvore This is what I do.

I find Polyvore to be easier to use if I am trying to see if all my pieces go well together. You have a white canvas, and not all the background "noise" you have on Pinterest. And you can't move pins around on Pinterest the way you can move items around in a set in Polyvore.

Last edited by eizhowa; 19-08-2013 at 10:58 PM.

19-08-2013
i'm almost ready..

^thank you for the comparison of the two, eizhowa. and also for the 'clipping' tip - i suppose i am not really patient enough to learn to use something new.

i too hate the noise of pinterest....i just can't bring myself to go there.

19-08-2013
fashion insider

^Pinterest has its uses. Much better for groups, and you can only have 50 pieces in a set on Polyvore. I have more clothes than that...

20-08-2013
tfs star

Back in Tokyo, cleaning out the storage, and loving finding dozens of treasures among what I left behind! Parisian style is much more laid back than Tokyo, so I'm finding lots more that works now, which I wouldn't have worn as much before. Looking forward to refreshing my style, wardrobe and shopping list.

Last edited by Melisande; 20-08-2013 at 12:07 AM.

20-08-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adorefaith View Post
i'm starting to think about creating a somewhat focused 'wish list' for fall... i want some way to save/collect pictures as inspiration and see what the general likenesses are between them....what the common threads are in what i like and am drawn to... and then combine that with pieces i already have to figure out what i'd like to buy, and start looking for those items. does that make sense?

does anyone have any suggestions on how best to do this? saving pictures individually is good but it doesn't really allow me to view them comparatively or as a whole.... i signed up for polyvore but it doesn't seem like i can save or upload pictures of outfits, just select individual items.
Pinterest! It is the absolutely best tool for what you want to do, since you can create boards of any topic and pin pictures of whatever you want, to them.

20-08-2013
fashion insider

Rebecca Minkoff Mini Affair bag
I need some input...

I have been looking for a small handbag for a while now, and I have finally found a model I like. However, I am torn between two colors. Classic/Boring black or Hunter green. The chain is a pale gold-tone. I have made a pro/con list, but I am not really getting anywhere...

Hunter Green

Pro:
- Adds interest to all-black items/outfits, like a black wool coat.
- Really beautiful color
- Near-black, so it won't clash with anything except possibly my rust colored dresses. Maybe not.

Cons:
- Might get bored of it sooner?
- Might clash if I change my color scheme.
- Monitor color might be off...

Black

Pro:
- Classic
- Won't clash with anything.

Con:
- Boring color...
- Too Chanel-replica-ish?
- Already have a black bag (my Bal)

Any input? I feel really torn To me, it is a tie...

Shopbop
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f7693962f6a28c132801025c2211b0c1.jpg (8.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 06071b9a9fa2c4296cfcf1ecce44c899.jpg (16.3 KB, 10 views)

20-08-2013
fashion elite

Yes difficult indeed and I'm often partial to black because it's always a safe choice, in other words won't clash with anything. But you can order both and decide at home where you can try them both with your outfits and send one back. But the green one is also kind of safe because the color is almost black. I'm not helpful at all! But they are both very nice and chic.

20-08-2013
fashion insider

^It costs like 60 usd to post to the US so that's not really an option for me. Otherwise, that's what I would do

Thanks for your input anyway

20-08-2013
front row

I can honestly barely tell the difference... is the green one the one on the right?
I think both colours would work for you, and that the green would go with rust too - it seems to be a very subtle green hue. But yes, the screens might not be trustworthy... have you googled it enough to understand how green it is?

20-08-2013
fashion insider

^The green one is the second one, yes

I think the color and bag is only a few months old, so I haven't found a single picture... I am really worried it is much paler in real life.

I think I am leaning against the black. I think that during winter I might wear it less, and favor a larger bag, and I think the black is best for my summer wardrobe.

Also, I think the green one might just have photographed better. After studying the pictures, I can tell that the black one is slouching. So maybe the green one has an unfair advantage?

And then I think, If I am getting a plain black one, maybe a more inexpensive vintage one will pop up?

I am making it very difficult for myself

Where is that "snap" ability?

20-08-2013
windowshopping

I'm having trouble trying to decide on what colors to incorporate into my wardrobe. I was cleaning my closet out earlier and when I was done, I was left with a lot of black, white, grey, and a couple camel/tan/oatmeal pieces. (There was two navy pieces and a purple based maroon)

How do you go about finding accent colors to add in?

20-08-2013
fashion insider

There are probably a lot of ways. Have you asked yourself i you would prefer to buy more grey, black or camel in the future? Or do you feel like you have a good balance? You seem to have pretty much every "basic" color there is (as do I, to be honest, but I try to focus on grey.) The best accent colors to camel would probably be different than the great accent colors to, say, navy.

There are lots of colors that are good candidates for accents. The colors you like, The colors you suit, and the colors already found in your color palette (hair, eyes, skin). Ideally, I think your accent color should be all of these. I, for an example, really like cognac leathers, and other colors that will match my red hair, so that I can emphasize that trait in myself. Or, if you have green tones in your eyes, green might not be a good basic, but having green accents (like a scarf) would be lovely. I personally prefer colors that work well with my own coloring, but I suppose there isn't anything wrong about choosing colors simply because of their energy and how they make you feel.

Betina posted a link to a blog who very step by step describes how to balance your colors (and much more). Maybe this is something you would be interested in? http://into-mind.com/tag/colour-palettes/

Last edited by eizhowa; 20-08-2013 at 06:35 PM.

20-08-2013
Power to the 99%

eizhowa, I think you should go for the green ... I don't think you have anything the color would clash with. I can see it being not so great with hot pink, but that's not a color you wear ...

heyitsrachelle, what colors appeal to you? What colors do you decorate with? What colors have you been complimented when wearing in the past? I think you should go for colors you are drawn to that look reasonably good on you. Or, if they don't look good on you, you could still wear shoes, bags, etc. in that color.

It sounds like you almost have no color right now. Do you know why that is? Some people aren't into color, that's OK ...

21-08-2013
front row

heyit'srachelle: eizhowa and ta-ta already gave excellent advice, not sure if I can add to that. except maybe to say: just go with what appeals to you!

eizhowa: if it is between those two bags, I'd go for the green. that colour seems to have a little more depth to it somehow, at least on the screen. and I think it will go great with all your rust/brick/caramel/camel warm colours, and with your hair. green and red make each other stronger! it'll also go great with grey, black and navy... like ta-ta said, I can imagine some colours it will clash with, but not any that you have in your closet now - and I don't really expect you to make hot pink your biggest focus any time soon (not to limit you )

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe