How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
14-06-2013
  61
backstage pass
 
RedandNavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Switzerland
Gender: femme
Posts: 742
Hello there!

Sorry for not posting more often at the moment, but recently I just felt like taking a little break from all the shopping talk. It was just good to feel great with what I have and live happily with it - without always thinking about what is going to be next.

The sales have started though and I've found two things that have been on my wishlist all season long and that felt completely right:
  • A pair of slippers from Tod's in mustard/white. I plan to wear them mostly at home since I never really had a nice shoe to wear at home.
  • A second pair of pistols. I thought I'd buy another pair in fall but since this lovely color went on sale I got them right away… I bought them one size smaller this time and they feel even better now.

I plan to buy maybe one more item in the sales at the end of the month and then I'll start planning fall / winter. Looking what I bought this spring / summer (look at my pinterest in the in my closet section) I feel very happy.

It was:
  • A mustard/black/white dress, backless for hot summer days
  • A denim jacket
  • A light weight wool sweater with an abstract floral print
  • Two long sleeved blouses
  • A pair of slippers
  • A pair of pistol boots

That makes seven items in total, with maybe one more to go. I think that's totally okay and cool! It was a good season and it was a good feeling to take a little break now for some weeks...

Pics from farfetch.com / mytheresa.com


 
 
16-06-2013
  62
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denmark
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,378
@Red: I can completely understand. I think a break from thoughts about shopping would be nice - and rather peaceful. But somehow it is just too much a part of my nature. Scary.

Here in Denmark we have a facebook group/movement called "Non shoppers" which is a group of people who have vowed not to shop for 6 months. Somehow I wish I would be able to do that.

Such great purchases. I am not really into the whole loafer trend but yours are super cute. Also like the pistols. Where did you find them on sale?

-----

Me: The LBD I have been eyeing went on sale. 50% off. I am considering ordering it since it is excactly what I have been looking for in a little black dress but at the same time it will not add something "new" even though it would fulfill my need of a dress that is tight but not too revealing. And by that I guess I answered my own question.

 
16-06-2013
  63
front row
 
Juliette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovenia
Gender: femme
Posts: 202
Oh my gosh, poor Jina! Are you okay? That accident sounds terrible, I so hate careless drivers. And to have had two accidents in such a short period of time ... Ever since that terrible accident happened here in Slovenia I'm a bit paranoid about drivers, I hate being in cars too, especially driving with anybody other than my dad who is very careful. Even with my BF I'm a nervous wreck. Ok I have gone completely off topic. But I hope you are better now?

RedandNavy Helloooo! I completely get what you are talking about, I myself have to excuse myself from this thread sometimes, because I cannot stand looking at all the pretty things posted here and knowing I am completely broke. :p By the way, I love how you incorporate so much colour in your wardrobe, especially the blue and mustard tones! Sounds like you bought some lovely things for the season. I would love to see some of your outfits by the way!

Betina I know I am a complete enabler (at least one thing I'm good at), but you should get it! LBDs are really versatile and it could serve you for years.

Me: I have received all of the items I ordered in the past couple of weeks and for the first time in probably ever, I have to say I've made some really good choices. I'm happy with every single thing I got, and have worn everything already. I've also come up with a new way of shopping (have you noticed that I'm a bit obsessed with putting together lists? Haha, yes, I did it again!)
So, I made a new document and wrote down a few of the outfits I am wearing lately, with all of the pieces I have in black. Then I searched for things I wanted to complete them - like a shirt for a skirt I have, some shoes I would wear with a completed outfit, a pair of earrings to go with my gold arm stack ... I put these items down in blue. And then I calculated the total amount of € I needed to finish an outfit and decided to start with the least expensive one. I really like this way of shopping, because I don't just add things to my closet carelessly and I actually know what I'm going to wear them with. My boards Looks I like and How to wear have been of great help, too. I also put together sets on Polyvore of my outfits with similar items, if I couldn't find the exact ones, and that really helps me too. I would especially recommend this for fashion bloggers, because it's really helpful when putting together an outfit for shooting! I know have about 5 outfits for summer I can wear, but I would like to add a few more things to fill up the holes in my wardrobe. All of those things can be seen on my Pinterest board here: http://pinterest.com/nothinfancyrlly...ished-outfits/ I am of course not planning to buy all of these, just trying to see which pieces would be the most versatile.
What I'm getting for sure:
  • a pair of summer sandals (maybe with a small heel, or flat)
  • a pair of heeled sandals (wedges or heels)
  • a bralet to wear under sheer shirts and with my vintage highwaisted midi skirts, when it's super hot outside (possibly denim)
  • a pair of earrings
  • a straw bag for the beach, mine is done after 5 years of use
  • a bag for the city, I'm looking for maybe something beaded, I also love shell shapes or maybe even something clear.

If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear them, or even better - see them pinned!

Another question, which is problematic for me! I'm going on Holiday in August. I am pretty much set with swimsuits (might get another new top because I just can't resist - it's too pretty!), but my problem is the beach. The one we're going to is very rocky and there are loads of sea urchins there, so going barefoot isn't really an option. So what on earth am I supposed to wear into the water?! Am I really going to have to get jelly shoes?

 
16-06-2013
  64
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denmark
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Oh my gosh, poor Jina! Are you okay? That accident sounds terrible, I so hate careless drivers. And to have had two accidents in such a short period of time ... Ever since that terrible accident happened here in Slovenia I'm a bit paranoid about drivers, I hate being in cars too, especially driving with anybody other than my dad who is very careful. Even with my BF I'm a nervous wreck. Ok I have gone completely off topic. But I hope you are better now?

RedandNavy Helloooo! I completely get what you are talking about, I myself have to excuse myself from this thread sometimes, because I cannot stand looking at all the pretty things posted here and knowing I am completely broke. :p By the way, I love how you incorporate so much colour in your wardrobe, especially the blue and mustard tones! Sounds like you bought some lovely things for the season. I would love to see some of your outfits by the way!

Betina I know I am a complete enabler (at least one thing I'm good at), but you should get it! LBDs are really versatile and it could serve you for years.

Me: I have received all of the items I ordered in the past couple of weeks and for the first time in probably ever, I have to say I've made some really good choices. I'm happy with every single thing I got, and have worn everything already. I've also come up with a new way of shopping (have you noticed that I'm a bit obsessed with putting together lists? Haha, yes, I did it again!)
So, I made a new document and wrote down a few of the outfits I am wearing lately, with all of the pieces I have in black. Then I searched for things I wanted to complete them - like a shirt for a skirt I have, some shoes I would wear with a completed outfit, a pair of earrings to go with my gold arm stack ... I put these items down in blue. And then I calculated the total amount of € I needed to finish an outfit and decided to start with the least expensive one. I really like this way of shopping, because I don't just add things to my closet carelessly and I actually know what I'm going to wear them with. My boards Looks I like and How to wear have been of great help, too. I also put together sets on Polyvore of my outfits with similar items, if I couldn't find the exact ones, and that really helps me too. I would especially recommend this for fashion bloggers, because it's really helpful when putting together an outfit for shooting! I know have about 5 outfits for summer I can wear, but I would like to add a few more things to fill up the holes in my wardrobe. All of those things can be seen on my Pinterest board here: http://pinterest.com/nothinfancyrlly...ished-outfits/ I am of course not planning to buy all of these, just trying to see which pieces would be the most versatile.
What I'm getting for sure:
  • a pair of summer sandals (maybe with a small heel, or flat)
  • a pair of heeled sandals (wedges or heels)
  • a bralet to wear under sheer shirts and with my vintage highwaisted midi skirts, when it's super hot outside (possibly denim)
  • a pair of earrings
  • a straw bag for the beach, mine is done after 5 years of use
  • a bag for the city, I'm looking for maybe something beaded, I also love shell shapes or maybe even something clear.

If you have any recommendations, I would love to hear them, or even better - see them pinned!

Another question, which is problematic for me! I'm going on Holiday in August. I am pretty much set with swimsuits (might get another new top because I just can't resist - it's too pretty!), but my problem is the beach. The one we're going to is very rocky and there are loads of sea urchins there, so going barefoot isn't really an option. So what on earth am I supposed to wear into the water?! Am I really going to have to get jelly shoes?
I actually went ahead and ordered it. Too good a deal to pass

Sounds like a really good strategy you've got yourself. I usually make it a habit of being sure that I can use a new items in a least three outfits. Usually I can figure out tons of ways to style something. And if I have no ideas I will not buy this specific thing. When in doubt I try to do polyvore outfits with items I already own to see what a new item will go with.

 
16-06-2013
  65
front row
 
Juliette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Slovenia
Gender: femme
Posts: 202
Yes, I do that too, Betina! Polyvore can be super helpful. Have you posted a photo of the dress in this thread? I would love to see it.

 
16-06-2013
  66
front row
 
EvaH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London
Gender: femme
Posts: 316
Red: I love all your purchases ! If I had to make a a post like yours I don't think I would be as successful so I won't even try But I am so glad that this method worked out so well for you and you managed to get everything, or almost everything you wanted and needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
^I like rants
The light grey dress by Helmut Lang is so pretty! So perfect for summer! I can't see the NAP sales until they launch the international one...
I couldn't agree more. I really love it. Will post pictures once I have it
Btw, I can't believe how expensive it is in the UK !! I made a really interesting discovery regarding prices on different NAP and now I am obsessed with consumers marketing I think that from now on, if I can find the same thing on NAP US and NAP UK I will always order from NAP US, especially since I pay no shipping fees nor any bank fees.. The difference in pricing is crazy
For example, this grey dress:
- NAP US retail price: 275$ = 175£= 205€
- NAP UK retail price: 235£ = 368$ = 276€
- NAP Fr retail price: 260€ = 221£ = 346$
See what I mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
Of the two "occasion" Helmut Lang dresses, I prefer the orange/grey one. It has a cut that might be difficult to wear, but I guess you won't know how it will fit until you try it You say your torso is still as slim as before, and I think it would enhance that better than the other. I think the second one is more casual, perhaps too casual for a wedding?
You are absolutely right and anyway I found the grey one on sale and in my size directly on the HL website. I am super happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
The t-shirt is very unlike the rest of your sale items and other big purchases. Are you trying to move in a certain direction with your wardrobe? I think it would make your wardrobe look younger, but how it will "modernize" it I have no idea:/ I generally know very little about tees so take everything I say with a pinch of salt
You hit the nail in the head ! I am trying to find more casual t-shirts/tops to really make my wardrobe look younger. I still can't part with my blazers and this very "mature" style that is mine, but I am trying to follow yours and barbara advices and maybe use more t-shirts/casual tops. I am looking for more colourful ones but this is the first step and grey goes with everything I hope to find more casual shoes, a bit edgier and younger too. But for now, it is all about the t-shirts especially since I am off to a warmer country for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
What are you looking for in a leather jacket?
I am looking for a black leather jacket, very fitted/slim, long sleeves and not too short (blazer length lets say ) I thought I found some cute ones on Macuumba but I am not so sure anymore..

__________________
Success isn't about how your life looks to others, it's about how it feels to you. - Michelle Obama

Last edited by EvaH; 16-06-2013 at 07:55 AM.
 
16-06-2013
  67
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denmark
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
Yes, I do that too, Betina! Polyvore can be super helpful. Have you posted a photo of the dress in this thread? I would love to see it.
You can see it on my wardrobe board

 
16-06-2013
  68
front row
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon
Gender: femme
Posts: 407
Hi! I've been away for a while because my boyfriend came over and spent almost a week with me...

My two basic tops arrived and I've worn them both. They're perfect and fit lovely. The leopard dress came by regular mail and I wasn't home to get it... it was also a bit late because of the two holidays we had last week. Will pick it up tomorrow and will let you all know!

Betina, even if the dress turns out not to be perfect - that's only one way for you to know of course returning is always a bit of a hassle.

EvaH, that's really a big price difference I usually check both sites for Book Depository and the US version is usually cheaper... but only for a couple of cents.

 
16-06-2013
  69
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denmark
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraaa View Post
Hi! I've been away for a while because my boyfriend came over and spent almost a week with me...

My two basic tops arrived and I've worn them both. They're perfect and fit lovely. The leopard dress came by regular mail and I wasn't home to get it... it was also a bit late because of the two holidays we had last week. Will pick it up tomorrow and will let you all know!

Betina, even if the dress turns out not to be perfect - that's only one way for you to know of course returning is always a bit of a hassle.

EvaH, that's really a big price difference I usually check both sites for Book Depository and the US version is usually cheaper... but only for a couple of cents.
Sounds nice!

Glad to hear that it worked out well with your tops - hope your dress is nice as well.

Returning to a danish webshop is not that difficult - but it will still cost around 7$ But I will take my chances.

 
17-06-2013
  70
front row
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon
Gender: femme
Posts: 407
That's still a bit of a hassle And thank you, the dress is indeed lovely! A bit too short, but nothing unexpected or troublesome.

Juliette, I must say all your pinning is making me want a pleated skirt...

 
17-06-2013
  71
fashion insider
 
eizhowa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Norway
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,217
Barbaraa, happy to hear that the dress fit. I wish more webshops listed the length of their dresses (and sleeves...).

Eva, I can't even access NAP at the moment. Kepps telling me the page is missing... Hopefully they are just preparing for a HUGE sale

--

I bought a new pair of sunnies. A pair of Oliver Peoples Vanadis in tortoise. I had kind of decided that my black Ray-bans would have to do for this season, and that I wouldn't get another pair. I decided this mostly because I had not found a pair of the sunglasses I wanted after months of stalking Ebay. Last week, I finally found a used pair. I bought them the day I finished my last exam so lets call it an exam present for myself My ray-bans are great, but they look too harsh against my skin/face when I wear my hair up:/

The sunglasses are slightly scratched on the bridge, but I hope I can polish/buff it out... After so many months of searching I just couldn't let them pass me by.

I haven't recieved them, or the silk blouses, yet, so I have that to look forward to this week (working way too much at the moment)

--

After having looked at my wardrobe, I think all I really need to complete my summer wardrobe are a pair of linen/rayon t-shirts. Although, if I find a pair of great cropped trousers I might pick them up

Ready to start on my Fall wardrobe now. I think I have that one planned out too, just need to find the pieces

*pinterest
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13727-001-006-003.jpg (197.2 KB, 0 views)


Last edited by eizhowa; 17-06-2013 at 03:49 PM.
 
17-06-2013
  72
trendsetter
 
Jinadaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Slovenia
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,438
Eizhowa, don't you even mention Fall.
Glad you found your second sunnies! I buy a pair almost every year and in the end wearing just the last purchaced pair. But I've never liked any sunglasses more than my Céline ones which I got last Dec. Hope I will have them for years, I really take care and look after them.

Juliette, thank you, dear, I started to feel better now. Not so dizzy and the tension in my head is disappearing slowly. I am afraid of dangerous drivers too, but I hope I will have more luck in the future. I'm having my next driving lesson tomorrow and hopefully I will not be too stressed out from the experience from the last week.

The sales started on almost all websites (NAP, my theresa, farfetch, my wardrobe ...), but I can't seem to find any white dress and sleeveless top that would've appeal to me.
The COS ones were my first choice but both dress and a shirt/top are sold out in my size, so I asked my cousin who is currently based in Amsterdam to look for me in their store. Fingers crossed she finds it.
Don't think I ever showed a top here, so here it is, it's the perfect one for hot summer days, pure white cotton :



cos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 549288_446335072103606_1128881951_n.jpg (10.4 KB, 0 views)

__________________

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
 
18-06-2013
  73
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denmark
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,378
@Jina: If you want I can look for the top in Copenhagen. I will be going there next week, probably

 
18-06-2013
  74
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Denmark
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,378
I recieved my dress today and it is perfect. So flattering and very comfortable. I am sure it is gonna be a favourite.

 
18-06-2013
  75
front row
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Lisbon
Gender: femme
Posts: 407
Betina, I'm glad you're so happy with your dress like I said, ordering it was the only way for you to know how it would turn out!

 
Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.