How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

21-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistelette View Post

betina: I don't have any experience with nylon in sweaters, but the rest of the composition of the material sounds very good. if it were me, it'd be all down to how the fabric felt on my skin, and how it 'draped'. (that's one of the bad things about bad knits, that they just don't 'fall' nicely)
are we seriously discussing fall items now?! not sure I can handle...
about what I/you wrote earlier, there are so many sides to the question about clothing manufacturing in (countries like) Bangladesh. this is perhaps not the place for a long political essay about these many sides I'll just skip to the conclusion of this imaginary paper then - while I do not believe that consumer behavior is the only thing that needs to change, I do not wish to contribute to a situation in which people have no choice but to work for too little money under appalling circumstances.
how to bring this wish into practice? I'm still thinking about the best way to do that.
Well I am all done with my SS-list. I bought all the item that I wanted except from a white blouse which I figured out that I do not need. So this control freak thought she might as well start researching for fall I will not be purchasing it now though. Buying wool in June seems silly.

I hope I did not come of as a total douche (the idiot, not the colour). Of course I do not think the people who construct our clothes should work under conditions that are horrible and, in some cases, end up getting them killed. When I wrote my post yesterday I had just heard a podcast about Disney asking their manufacturers to move all business out of Bangladesh and there was a huge debate about Bangladesh needing the business to remove itself from poverty and that was what I was thinking about.

That said, I can easily understand one not wanting to support a company that does not treat their workers right. I have that kind of principles myself.

21-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistelette View Post
Eizhowa, not sure where you got that, but that would be about exactly the opposite of the argument I would make.
We had a charity project when I was at school (year 11). The money we collected went to children in Bangladesh. We had a lot of discussions about children in Bangladesh/childlabour, watched some movies, wrote some articles etc. Thats where I have it from. The idea was that if children weren't allowed to work in Bangladesh (in factories) they would be worse off. They would't be able to feed themselves. It is not automatic that children who aren't allowed to work start attending school. They need money to do so, and since they do not have any money to go to school it is better if they can help feed themselves and their families. There are small children feeding smaller siblings etc. To them, not being able to work in factories might not be the best option. Many are just to poor to not work at the moment...

Does this make any sense? Feel free to make a counter argument. I don't think child labour is right, just so you know. I just think it might be neccessary in some cases... I think a change would have to start on our end.

Don't worry, people, I have no intention of making this a long debate.

Last edited by eizhowa; 21-06-2013 at 05:15 AM.

21-06-2013
front row

^ hmmmn, maybe that was a little unclear. what I meant was, I'd never argue for buying stuff at stores that do their manufacturing in Bangladesh (or similar places) because those countries need the money.

edit: posted this before I saw your reply. it is a very difficult situation to make sense of indeed. but the key argument for me is that these kids that work in factories do not have a choice to do something else, and do not have a chance to go to school and develop themselves. and their kids won't have those choices/chances either. changing the situation so that these people have more choices in their lives is where the goal should be.

Last edited by twistelette; 21-06-2013 at 05:20 AM.

21-06-2013
trendsetter

Okay, I get your point now. I didn't mean that YOU would go out and shop cheap stuff with that excuse. I don't think I was completely clear either... A boikot on all clothes in Bangladesh would probably end badly for the people there. That was my main argument.

It is great that you want to be more conscious of your habits, of course

21-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
Okay, I get your point now. I didn't mean that YOU would go out and shop cheap stuff with that excuse. I don't think I was completely clear either... A boikot on all clothes in Bangladesh would probably end badly for the people there. That was my main argument.

It is great that you want to be more conscious of your habits, of course
.. and I aggree, if my last post did not make that clear. I try to avoid clothes made in Bangladesh as well.

21-06-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
I hope I did not come of as a total douche (the idiot, not the colour).
Oh, the douche colours still funny.
About nylon in sweaters: I have some light knits from Zara that apparently have nylon in them. I think it's used to make the garment tighter and hold up better.

I think the textile industry isn't too helpful when it comes to ending poverty because in Bangladesh (and similar countries) the workers aren't well paid even by the country's standards. There's no social development either because they all work in terrible conditions and there is nothing being done about the actual economic structure. The money they're paid doesnt' allow them to make savings so that they can start their own business or have better living conditions. Children can't study because they are working, but even if they could study - what would their future be? No money stays in the country.
There are smaller and way more useful (and interesting, and less harmful) ways to develop a region.
Does the industry bring them work? Yes. Does it make things better and help end poverty? Definitely not.

21-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
@Jina: From time to time I tend to experience the same "problem" and although it really is no big issue it is annoying anyway. I will let you know if I see anything like that bracelet. You don't have a Mulberry store where you live?
Oh, wishful thinking. I realised today that Mulberry is cheapest on the official website, the prices are up to 20, 30 % lower than on other websites.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

21-06-2013
trendsetter

@Barbaraa: I know!

Thx for the input - it sounds good. I will go to the store and check it out once I get the chance.

You are perfectly right about the conditions in Bangladesh. I read in the paper today that by paying 60 øre (danish cent, approximately 0,11 USD) more for your t-shirt the conditions in Bangladesh could be improved over a rather short period. I am sure a lot of consumers would not mind. Not so sure about the manufacuterers, sadly.

@Jina: that is insane. Crazy. I think Mulberry is more expensive in Denmark away but 30%. Crazy, just crazy.

-------------

I cleaned up my pinterest boards today. Removed a couple of wishes (white sweater and white shirt) that I did not feel I need anymore. Also moved a lot of stuff from my wardrobe board - pieces I am planning on selling or item that I do not use ATM. The things I do not wear and that is stacked away in the attic ATM I moved to a "out of rotation"-board to keep track of what I've got.

21-06-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
What do you guys think about nylon in a knit? I am doing some research for that cardigan I am hoping to get for fall and I have found one I like but it is with 27% nylon (34% Mohair 34% Wool and 5% elastane).

I will see if I will be able to go try it on to see how the material feels on my skin but does nylon has any good qualities? I was thinking it might make the knit last longer?
Yes, that's exactly what it does. That percentage seems possibly a bit high ... but since it's already wool you may not notice any 'hot' factor.

21-06-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Well I am all done with my SS-list. I bought all the item that I wanted except from a white blouse which I figured out that I do not need. So this control freak thought she might as well start researching for fall I will not be purchasing it now though. Buying wool in June seems silly.

I hope I did not come of as a total douche (the idiot, not the colour). Of course I do not think the people who construct our clothes should work under conditions that are horrible and, in some cases, end up getting them killed. When I wrote my post yesterday I had just heard a podcast about Disney asking their manufacturers to move all business out of Bangladesh and there was a huge debate about Bangladesh needing the business to remove itself from poverty and that was what I was thinking about.

That said, I can easily understand one not wanting to support a company that does not treat their workers right. I have that kind of principles myself.
What color are you wearing right now? Maybe I can finally figure this out ...

Goodweave (formerly Rugmark) certifies that its rugs are not made by children, and any child laborers they find in factories, they pay for them to go to school. I have never heard of anything like this in the fashion industry ... but it should certainly be possible, the money is there.

22-06-2013
front row

I finally got my (by now very belated) birthday present from my mum:

Oh, and I also got this knit (of which I have several) in emerald green:

both pics from zara.com

Last edited by barbaraaa; 22-06-2013 at 10:20 AM.

24-06-2013
trendsetter

@Ta-ta: txh for your response regarding the knit. Very interesting about the rug company. I bet there is lot of possibilities for fashion companies to become more sustainable and humane in their way of producing goods. Sadly I just think most of them do not want to.

@Barbaraa: Nice pieces. I really like the color of the sweater.

24-06-2013
trendsetter

Betina, they probably won't change until we, the masses who buy their stuff, do. That could take a while...

--

I bought a second dress for the wedding I am attending in <2 weeks... It probably won't arrive in time, though, as it will probably get stuck in customs. I think it is still worth the risk, because I really really love the dress. I forgot all about it before I ordered the See by Chloe dress, but I have been drooling at it for years. It is a floor length dress, with an open back and a short train. The color is similar to Barbaraas top. If it arrives on time, I can wear one dress to the wedding and another to the reception, which is two days later.

--

I received the White silk blouse I ordered. The fit is great, but once again the sleeves are too long. They are not meant to be folded up either. I think I will talk to a seamstress about having the sleeves taken up. I am getting pretty feed up with this whole sleeve situation. (I have measured, and there is nothing wrong with my measurements...)

24-06-2013
trendsetter

^ Sounds like a beautiful dress! I love the emerald green, fingers crossed it comes in time.

Meanwhile when I'm waiting if I'll be able to get COS stuff, the sale on Asos started and the white shorts which I had on my wishlist for months were discounted to a really great price, so I just ordered them.
Hope they will fit good and are not see-through (they don't look on the pics and in the video though). I'm planning to wear them mainly with white tops, since I love all-white looks and it's really the best option in the heat wave.

asos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1xxl.jpg (148.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg image3xxl.jpg (144.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg image4xxl.jpg (139.9 KB, 0 views)

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

25-06-2013
trendsetter

@Eizhowa: the consumers needs to change as well, yes. But thinking about the approach of adding a small cost (less than a dollar) two our clothes I think most people will not care or even notice - but the people importing the clothes will.

I am so looking forward to see your dress. It sounds gorgeous.

@Jina:
Nice shorts. Hope they turn out well. Bet they will look great with your style

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe