How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

28-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
^ What about Alexa in tan, but in a regular size? I have it in oversize (and black as you know), as I tend to carry a lot of stuff with me.
As I understand you want a smaller one, like this Bayswater satchel is.

I have to say that even though I like the other types of bags (especially totes) I can't leave the house with anything heavy in my hand, so I prefer satchels. It may look a bit more casual, but I really don't mind that since the bag is elegant on it's own.
I like the Alexa but somehow it is not for me. I can't really say why though.

All of my everyday bags are bigger, quite heavy and only my Stam bag has a shoulder strap. I always carry them over my arm and it is no problem. I would like something smaller with a shoulder strap for days where I would like to have my hands free and for vacations.

28-06-2013
front row

Betina, have you considered the small Mulberry Delilah satchel? I just got mine and it is very practical, not too expensive on sale (around 400£) and really pretty.. It also has enough space for the basics. And I can totally see myself wearing it while running errands or on holidays

I was torn between this one and the small marcie by Chloe but I really didn't like it after seeing it IRL and the mulberry has been on my wishlist/Pinterest for ages!

Barbara, I love your purchases and fingers crossed so you get a job soon ! I am rooting for you
-----
I am not really doing the 4-5 pieces those days.. I am bored out of my mind since arriving at hospital as a patient >.< and has been shopping non stop since I got here (well when I am not in too much pain that is). On the bright side, most of the stuff were on my wishlist/are really practical things (a lot of jumper/pullover/sweatshirts/cardigan or cardicoat & basics), on the not so bright side, I too must decide what kind of consumer I want to be.. Althought I tried my best to not buy anything imported/made in Asia, it still did happen sometimes... I shopped as if I was redoing my wardrobe in one go. Thanks god, I stopped after feeling like I had enough and calculating how much I spent (then came the shame but no guilt because I love everything I bought.)

I can't wait to be back to normal so I can know if it was just a phase or if I should join the shopaholic thread

28-06-2013
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Betina, have you considered the small Mulberry Delilah satchel? I just got mine and it is very practical, not too expensive on sale (around 400£) and really pretty.. It also has enough space for the basics. And I can totally see myself wearing it while running errands or on holidays

I was torn between this one and the small marcie by Chloe but I really didn't like it after seeing it IRL and the mulberry has been on my wishlist/Pinterest for ages!

Barbara, I love your purchases and fingers crossed so you get a job soon ! I am rooting for you
-----
I am not really doing the 4-5 pieces those days.. I am bored out of my mind since arriving at hospital as a patient >.< and has been shopping non stop since I got here (well when I am not in too much pain that is). On the bright side, most of the stuff were on my wishlist/are really practical things (a lot of jumper/pullover/sweatshirts/cardigan or cardicoat & basics), on the not so bright side, I too must decide what kind of consumer I want to be.. Althought I tried my best to not buy anything imported/made in Asia, it still did happen sometimes... I shopped as if I was redoing my wardrobe in one go. Thanks god, I stopped after feeling like I had enough and calculating how much I spent (then came the shame but no guilt because I love everything I bought.)

I can't wait to be back to normal so I can know if it was just a phase or if I should join the shopaholic thread

It is really pretty but I prefer bags more square and I am not sure that it will be able to hold my camera.

Sorry to hear that you are in the hospital. I hope you are okay considering the circumstances?

I can completely understand being bored and slipping when you are sick. At least you got some good pieces but maybe you should try and find other ways of passing time. Maybe spend some time making a list of what your autumn wardrobe should consist of?

I just found a very interesting blot, maybe you can use it for inspiration. I spent loads of time reading it this week when I was home sick.

www.into-mind.com

Hope you feel better soon

28-06-2013
front row

I got the shirt today - it gapes a little on top, I guess because I'm bustier than the model, but nothing a brooch won't solve. Other than that, it's a very lovely fit, with the fitted waist and wrap design.

28-06-2013
front row

Also, since it is a bit hard to keep up with everyone's buys - I wonder, how many items/what have you all bought this year? I started doing this in January, and, counting everything, I've bought:

- Basic black skirt
- Gray tee
- Breton sweater
- Polka dot scarf
- Long black cami
- Leather belt
- Nude flats
- White tee
- Black 3/4 sleeve top
- Leopard print shirt dress
- White wrap shirt
- Black satchel
- Sekonda watch (on Ebay)
And my mum offered me:
- White/red stripe shirt
- Green v-neck knit

And yes, this is kind of a lot of items. The skirt was an actual need, as were the flats and the belt and as the watch and the bag shall be - so I'm getting needs sorted and that's fine. The two tees, the cami and the 3/4 sleeved top are basics that will help me give much more use to other items. I guess the wrap shirt can count as a basic too - although I still want a collared white shirt.
The only "less basic" items I got were the breton sweater - which I had been wanting for long now; the scarf, which was more of a fun item and which I've been getting a lot of wear from; the dress; and the two tops I got from my mum.

28-06-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
Ahh, I just realized I missed reading the new page. Thank you very much, and I hope you get better and out of the hospital soon! I understand shopping out of boredom - but "online window shopping" can be very entertaining too, I think.

29-06-2013
trendsetter

@Barbaraa: glad you are happy about your shirt!

I do not think that the amount of items you've gotten is that "bad". Especially not when you have gotten good things that you wear.

For this season (I start my season in March) I have so far bought:

- Black, flat bloots
- Black cocktail dress
- Grey sweater
- Powder pink sweater
- Tie dye silk dress
- Black pumps
- Sandals
- LBD for everyday wear
- Denim dress

- A breton sweater (from Twistelette)
- A silk, polka dotted shirt (from my Mother)

- and a couple of earrings, but I do not count accesories.

January and February I was "between seasons" since I wanted my seasons to follow the actual ones (SS and AW) instead of going from january-june and july-december. I had not given my self any limits and bought a bit more items than I had planned on but nothing alarming

- Black silk slip dress
- Patterned dress from H&M trend
- Grey jeans
- Houndstooth shirt
- Leather jacket

and a quilt bag (accesory). Probably would not have bought as much if I had not raided a second hand store one day, but I got my favourite pair of jeans and the houndstooth shirt which I have worn a lot, so I regret nothing.

All in all I am very happy about my purchases even though there are more than I would prefer. But I love each and every item and the only things I have not worn is the sweaters since it has been too hot and the everyday LBD which I think is okay since I just got it last week and it has been to hot.

I am really proud since I made a lot of bad decissions last season and a bunch of what I bought I do not own anymore (4 out of 19 items) and a bunch of them I rarely wear and never have (3-5 pieces).

29-06-2013
front row

Ugh my message got deleted >.< so in a nutshell
Betina, thanks for your wishes I guess someone already advised you to check the Cambridge satchel company & coach maybe for your bag? I would have said the small Pelican by Alexander Wang could be a good alternative as it is on sake everywhere currently but.. I don't know if that's your style & it doesn't really look like satchel ..
Edit: Betina, the small PS13 might be too expensive but I love mine so maybe you could check if it is discounted somewhere?

Barbara, thank you for your wishes as well ! I can't believe I did not see the wrap shirt + leopard print dress! I must check your Pinterest ! Oh and I don't know if I told you but your satchel is dreamy :love:

I did not realise both of you bought all those items. I really need to keep up I say as long as you love them and don't go overboard ( ) you should be happy with what you own

By the way, where has ta-ta disappeared to? Hope she is alright

Last edited by EvaH; 29-06-2013 at 04:44 AM.

29-06-2013
front row

As for what I got and kept since I started shopping for real & this adventure this year, I am trying to upload my pinterest but 60% of the pieces are for AW/basics/staples items and I tried to mix my shopping a bit more.. And I went a bit wild with bags (as I only owned 1 which is worn out and I mainly use on holidays now) but I love them all and I am quite happy I snatched the old Chyc YSL version as the new one is - IMO - horrendous.

Asos
- 3 "party"/short dresses (white, black, red)
- 3 jeans (white, black, dark blue) in my current size as I did not want to spend money on that part of my body that keep changing
- 3 pairs of sandals (albeit only one is from asos - 2 are cheap heels-to go when going out on holidays outside of EU/Americas + one pair of small printed block heels that I love).

Zara
Some basics to wear under my pullovers or cardigans

Matches fashion
- 1 really cute white top
- 1 dress for wedding n.2
- 1pair of gold ballerina flats

Farfetch
- 3 cashmere sweaters/jumpers (blue, grey, white)
- 1 blue top
- 1 white top
Those were all pinned since March
- 1 red cashmere cardigan (Jan item)
- 1 pink cashmere pullover ( Feb item)

Mytheresa:
- 2 bags (small mulberry satchel, Alexander wang small pelican croco)
- 2 pair of ankle boots with very small and large heels so I can wear them more often than my other ankle boots (the heel is too thin so a bit unsafe during some winter months)
All those were on my wishlist since April.

The outnet
- 1weekend bag (pelican weekender - mine died recently)
- 1 sweater dress
- 1 wool short sleeves dress
- 1 leather & cotton dress (wedding n.3)
- 4 sweaters (wool & cashmere & silk: salmon, red, grey, canari)
- 1 white dress (April item)

NAP US
- 3 helmut Lang dresses (1 for a wedding n.1, 1 very light & airy dress for home, one dress for winter - not wool but long sleeves with open back - I can see myself wearing it any season with a jacket, a cardigan, some tights, boots, heels etc)
- 4 printed t-shirts (I desperately needed those)

- NAP UK
- 5 sweaters (grey turtleneck, oversized black, oversized pink, open back navy, v-neck blue)
- 1 dressy draped top
- 2 basics (1 printed t-shirt, 1 long sleeves)
- 1 airy dress for home
- 1 summer/spring dress
- 1 knitted coat (wool)
- 1 cardicoat (wool)
- 1 pair of black flats
- 1 draped skirt
- 1 knitted dress.

Bags on top of the pelican & delilah satchel
- 2 fendi 2jours (black & grey) - May & June item (?)
- 2 YSL large chyc (black & camel/brown)
- 1 black PS13 small satchel
- 1 black Givenchy large Antigone

I also got myself a mid- length trench and black flats as May and March item!

I am on my phone so I can't upload pictures but I am trying to update my Pinterest as I said and once my health improves I hope to participate in the combination thread (that's all I will be doing until I sort out the coat + leather jacket )

Yes, that's an awful lot but I can't bring myself to regret anything nor feel bad because I finally have a functional wardrobe that I love. I can't wait for this illness to finish so I can go back to my flat and organize my dressing especially since I will be moving in somewhere by then! I really only felt terrible about the amount of money I spent once I added it all up. But, I absolutely love everything, all those items sat between 1-3 weeks in my shopping basket before I purchased them, some stuff I don't regret we're sold out by the time I processed the order, I took other off because I didn't like them that much and I returned others etc So albeit it is a lot, I still think about it for a certain amount of time. Especially the bags. They were all on my wishlist since March/April.

-------
I followed your conversation about products made in Asia and I definitely understand. But I also saw first hand how the same amount of money can get you 9 cute items at asos and barely 1 or 2 at matches fashion or Mytheresa. I understand that for people who can't really afford much but still like to dress it is an ok alternative.. Personally I try to limit the made in Asia bit/imported. That's why I won't buy from DvF, T by Alexander Wang anymore nor do I really want to buy Burberry Brit coats (although there are gorgeous) and I am learning just like I am learning regarding cut/fabrics/proportion/my style. I feel like it is worse when luxury brand jump that wagon. At least Asos is "cost effective". I also think when you reach a certain point in your life where you can afford to be picky with those stuff, that's great but I think it is acceptable for younger/not financially stable people to invest in key pieces and go "cheap" for the other stuff.. In the end this could be said for everything we do, from our bikes to our furniture and food. I think being aware is good enough until your lifestyle & finance allows you to act on it without putting at risks other basic things..

/ sorry for the rant

Last edited by EvaH; 29-06-2013 at 05:27 AM.

29-06-2013
fashion insider

EvaH, I think it has been well-established that we like rants I like rants, at least:p I think what you have learnt from this thread more than anything is buying better, not necessarily less... On the other hand, this thread works best if you have a solid foundation to build on, and you threw out A LOT. Have you considered getting rid of any more of your old clothes? Now that you have so many new ones, you may have less good duplicates in your wardrobe.

Betina, I loved the blog you recommended! I haven't had time to read it all, but I will definitely enjoy a few hours exploring it when I get home to my own computer. I really liked the color-diagrams she made with main colors, basics and accents. I'll definitely try to make one for myself! I love doing this kind of things...

--

I have compiled a list of what I have bought this S/S. I am not including thing that are being sold (because they do not fit...), basics (jeans, tank tops) or tiny accessories.

SPRING:
  • Bloch pumps
  • Vanessa Bruno Silk dress
  • Balenciaga City
  • Helmut Lang silk trouser
  • Iris & Ink Silk Blouse
  • Black Sandals
  • Michael Kors Nude pumps

SUMMER:
  • Vivienne Westwood Pirate boots
  • 2 x Vanessa Bruno silk blouses
  • Oliver Peoples Vanadis sunglasses
  • Green silk scarf

I also bought some occasion-wear for a wedding:
  • See by Chloe dress
  • Green Dress
  • Vintage Gold Mesh Clutch

I am fine with my S/S list. Huge improvement on my previous season (before I started following this thread). I still aim to do better in the future, but I hope it will be easier when I have a better foundation. By selling stuff I can start to remove items from my (exhaustive) list, and I am looking forward to shifting some stuff. And earning some Money I might sell some of the stuff on my list too. Not sure yet...

--

I think Ta-ta is on a shopping break. Maybe she is out buying pots and pans again I do see her on tfs occasionally, though, so I think she is alright.

Last edited by eizhowa; 29-06-2013 at 07:22 PM.

29-06-2013
fashion insider

I think I have a plan for the rest of the summer, and a rough sketch of my Fall shopping-plan.

SUMMER:
  • Saint James Breton
  • Wool/linen/Silk cropped trousers
  • Linen shirt

FALL:
  • ACNE Wool Scarf
  • Bella Freud sweater
  • A mid- thigh wool coat

I also might need to restock some basics. Threw out a pair of ballet flats, and my grey jeans are bagging at the knees I would like to spend more on basics than I am at the moment. I have a natural tendency to spend more on fancy clothes that I hardly ever use, than on the clothes I live in every day.

I have been trying to create a master list of my basics and where I could get them. I would love if every time my jeans or ballerinas wore out, I would know exactly where to get a replacement. Repetto will always offer a basic model, and Saint James will always have basic Breton tops. Unfortunately, none of these brands are sold in Norway. I think the marked is too small for shops to specialize like Repetto and Saint James do... Work in progress, but I hope to find at least some reliable brands for my basics.

--

Sorry for mentioning FW already, Jinadaze, but I like planning ahead. I know you think planning for winter in July is silly, but I am still wearing my winter boots and wool sweaters on some days, so FW is my most important season.

Last edited by eizhowa; 29-06-2013 at 07:41 PM.

29-06-2013
rising star

I returned for my mini holidays on the US. I got the chance to replace some of the items in my wardrobe and get some new things for the summer. Sadly, I couldn't renew my fall wardrobe since everthing on sale was summer season. But I got some amazing items, as I posted on my Pinterst http://pinterest.com/carobardelli/my-wardrobe/.
I also got:

a dark green with leather shoulder patches wool coat
a sheer pink blouse
a very cute flowered clutch
some necklaces
a flowered dress
and basic camis and tank tops, so now I will wear some sheer blouses I have in the daytime.

Now I don't need to go shopping anymore, but I'm going to see if I can get a new shirt to replace my green one, that is tooo worn out. Since it's sale season here I may get a good deal

29-06-2013
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
I think Ta-ta is on a shopping break. Maybe she is out buying pots and pans again I do see her on tfs occasionally, though, so I think she is alright.
You are quite correct that I am alive and well I am not shopping currently, but am also very busy with work, etc. right now. I also appear to be investing heavily in plumbing lately I will not bore you with the details of my latest improvements, but I am pleased with them ...

Wrt reliable sources for basics, that has not worked out for me terribly well. What keeps happening is that my go-to brands change their cuts so that they no longer work for me. Perhaps this will not happen to you as I believe you are easier to fit ... (This also happened to me with makeup for many years. I have an unusual skintone, and my shade kept being discontinued in a variety of different lines.)

The cleaners broke a couple buttons on one of my cardigans, so I need to find replacements. I'm thinking I will look online ... the buttons are what make it interesting, so I need good ones.

30-06-2013
front row

Eizowha, you definitely were very focused ! I think I will split the "in my closet" board on Pinterest in half so I can have an ever more precise idea of what is for A/W and S/S. I would say that fall is my biggest season, just like you, and I still am using my boots/trench/scarf & umbrella. So I definitely understand planning for it. I did buy quite a few AW items after all.

Now that I have all this I only kept 2 pair of trousers + 5 dresses + 1 cardigan + 1 sweater from my old wardrobe. I did get some duplicates -most of the sweaters are V-neck but I tried to mix fabrics/colours/length/"heaviness" of the materiel.

And yes, my wardrobe feels much better now because I really did not have some solid ground to built upon. I think the 4-5p will now be easier to follow as most of my basics are finally purchased!

I think this thread helped me get more patient. I never processed my order without at least waiting for a few days. I made a conscious decision to know on what kind of pieces I wanted to invest more right now; which staples I absolutely needed. I also got rid of my habit of buying mainly occasion wear; and I think/hope, I became better at choosing pieces that I could mix & match better and which could dressed up or down following your advices. Finally, I got rid of my strong desire to buy things that wouldn't necessarily fit my body shape or my lifestyle. And, thanks to you, I am trying to branch out and dress a bit younger just by changing small things, and I am planning !

If I had to make a list for AW it would be
- 1 leather jacket
- 3 cardigans (already in my wish list: short black + grey miu miu + mid-length maison Martin margiela)
- 1 burberry London coat (casual)
- 1 Joseph coat (evening)
- 1 chan luu scarf

But to be honest apart from the casual coat, all those items can wait so I am in no rush at all..

Carolina, I would love to see the flowered clutch, it sounds awesome!! And congrats on being so productive while away

ta-ta, glad to hear you are okay and investing your money in plumbers Hope you will find the buttons you are looking for

30-06-2013
backstage pass

What I got this season:
  • Orange t-shirt with inside navy contrast
  • Eggshell t-shirt with inside white contrast
  • Acid-green shiny t-shirt (sounds more intense than it is )
  • Beige trousers.
  • Sky blue trousers.
  • Striped pocket t-shirts (one green, one red)
  • Royal blue shirt.
(all COS)
  • Brown jeans.
  • Blue knitted bomber.
  • Denim jacket (MMMxH&M).
  • Orange printed t-shirt.
  • Faded blue/orange printed swimshorts.
  • Navy with orange Nike Air Max (yes, I was young in the nineties ).

That's about it I think..
And even though I feel like getting more, I should wear this for a while to make it my own. I'm very pleased with adding some orange to my wardrobe this season, it's working out great so far.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#4, #5, 45, french, piece, wardrobe