How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

20-04-2014
Power to the 99%

^ Ooh, very nice! Love the dress, and the Wayfarers are very special. I can never get enough tortoiseshell.

20-04-2014
front row

Ray Bans are also on my wishlist. And a leather jacket. Real investment pieces.

20-04-2014
fashion insider

I love the tortoise Ray Bans too! I noticed the first sunny day on campus that pretty much every girl in my class had a pair of black Ray Ban Wayfarers So I am sticking with tortoise My Oliver Peoples sunnies for the moment

20-04-2014
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
I love the tortoise Ray Bans too! I noticed the first sunny day on campus that pretty much every girl in my class had a pair of black Ray Ban Wayfarers So I am sticking with tortoise My Oliver Peoples sunnies for the moment
I'm also guilty of owning a pair of black wayfarers. But I have got a pair of tortoise clubmasters and a pair of gunmetal aviators to switch things up. When it's sunny I pretty much need to wear sunglasses all the time because otherwise I'll end up with a massive headache (my eyes are pretty sensitive to light) so I really like to have some options.

21-04-2014
trendsetter

@Nymphaea: I've heard that Helmut Lang makes great blazers, but I have no first hand experience, and they are probably quite expensive.

I would go for a leather jacket that is not lined - it is much more versatile that way. I wear my leather jacket all year round. As a jacket during spring/summer/fall - paired with a scarf when it gets colder, and under my coat for winter/as a cardigan inside.

@Jina:
I really think the jacket will turn out to be one of my best investments for a long time! I feel so good when wearing it.

I love that scuba dress - and nice boyfriend you have I really like the sunglasses as well - I tried on my brother in laws black Wayfarers, and they are so cool!

@Fewormany:
I have the same problem, so I look like a fool trying to be cool wearing sunnies even when there is only a few rays of sun. My boyfriend hates it because he want to be able to see my eyes when having a conversation with me - but I will just get such a headache. I have been contemplating getting a second pair as well, since I love my Pradas (the baroque models) but I am not sure what would go with my wardrobe. I have been contemplating a cateye model from Tom Ford and a pair of Black Wayfarers.

I only have two things left on my wishlist for this spring/summer:

- A light blue shirt (recently I have found that a shirt like that will be perfect for my wardrobe, and will be taking it in a more classic direction, like I am trying)
- A pair of black jeans. (ACNE pin)

I was contemplating getting a black pencilskirt but I am not sure that I feel 100% comfortable in such a skirt, and I think that my black full skirt from Malene Birger that I bought last month, and the black jeans, will be plenty. I can invest in a pencil skirt later on, if I find that I need it.

Also I am thinking of buying the white peplum tee in black as well since I have found it to be such a great staple. I do not feel good wearing normal tees, but this one is just feminine enough and is a great layering piece, and I have already found myself annoyed that I did not have a black one, for the outfits where white does not work.

On my nice to have list I have a grey or navy maxi dress, but I think I will wait with that for next summer, since I am not sure that I need/want it that badly and what colour would be best for my wardrobe, so it will give me time to think. I also have a black l/s blouse with some sort of back detail, but I think it will bump that to my fall wishlist.

I think I decided to cancel my order on the stripe H&M skirt. It is cute, but I do not think it would be such a great piece after all, and I only want perfect pieces. I am reconsidering getting the patterned Noa Noa dress too. I feel very good in it, but I am not sure it will be the best place to put my money, since I get bored with patterned dresses so quickly.

I will try to be better to stick to my shopping budget going forward, and also try to go back to buying only one piece most months. For May I am thinking of getting the light blue shirt (and perhaps that black peplum tee since I do not want it to sell out) and then I might get the jeans for June. In July I am going to Berlin, and then I can look for things on my AW wishlist, or a little extra, like Fewormany mentioned.

Sorry for the super long post

21-04-2014
tfs star

Betina, the coat is gorgeous and extremely versatile and flattering. Congrats! I had once tried on a Lanvin coat in the same silhouette and loved it.

I'd been way too busy to post here; I think it's about time for S/S. My main winter additions were a slouchy dressy black angora sweater and my Docs, which filled in gaps and worked perfectly. I've compiled a few items for spring/summer. There's more than 5 since I know how picky and slow I am and will end up not finding half of the items!

In order of importance:
-pretty tops. puff-shouldered top with open neckline OR a cardi and sleeveless blouse OR lacy blouse OR all of the above
-sleeved knee-length dress (still looking since at least last year...aaargh)
-black Wolford fishnets (I got a pair recently but they weren't what I had in mind so I have to go back)
-comfy wedge sandals (red, pref)
-dressy black mid-heel pumps
-sunglasses--big, roundish
-spring coat (optional)
-lingerie (optional)
-flowery skirt (fave just died)

Last edited by Melisande; 21-04-2014 at 09:20 AM.

23-04-2014
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
Betina, the coat is gorgeous and extremely versatile and flattering. Congrats! I had once tried on a Lanvin coat in the same silhouette and loved it.

I'd been way too busy to post here; I think it's about time for S/S. My main winter additions were a slouchy dressy black angora sweater and my Docs, which filled in gaps and worked perfectly. I've compiled a few items for spring/summer. There's more than 5 since I know how picky and slow I am and will end up not finding half of the items!

In order of importance:
-pretty tops. puff-shouldered top with open neckline OR a cardi and sleeveless blouse OR lacy blouse OR all of the above
-sleeved knee-length dress (still looking since at least last year...aaargh)
-black Wolford fishnets (I got a pair recently but they weren't what I had in mind so I have to go back)
-comfy wedge sandals (red, pref)
-dressy black mid-heel pumps
-sunglasses--big, roundish
-spring coat (optional)
-lingerie (optional)
-flowery skirt (fave just died)
Nothing wrong with being picky! I consider myself being so to, but still tends to buy a lot.

Thank you for the nice words about my coat I've already worn it a bunch of times.

Not sure if it is your style, but I love my Prada Baroque sunglasses - they are big and round!

_________

I really seem to have kicked that wardrobe crisis, since I am SO happy with my clothes ATM. Everything seems to go together nicely so I can pull out almost anything and it will go together. I even brought my green Marc Jacobs Stam bag with me today instead of my usual black, brown or grey bags! Wore it with the new coat, the white peplum tee I bought this month as well, grey jeans, black ballet flats and my white Prada Sunnies. I do NOT think the bag would have looked as great with a minimalistic black coat.

23-04-2014
Power to the 99%

^ Sounds fantastic!

24-04-2014
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
^ Sounds fantastic!
Surely is!

I went ahead and ordered the light blue shirt I was looking at. The site that had it in stock had free shipping for a short time and it ended sunday evening, so I decided that it was stupid to waste money on shipping just because I wanted to wait for May before getting it.

I recieved it today, and it seems really great in a soft, sheer silk/cotten blend. I just need to try it on with my wardrobe before im 100% sure its a keeper, but I would be surprised if it is not.

pic via InWear.com

24-04-2014
fashion insider

^I really like the softly rounded collar! Thats a really nice detail.

24-04-2014
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
^I really like the softly rounded collar! Thats a really nice detail.
I really love that too! Makes it seem a bit more feminine, I think.

24-04-2014
trendsetter

I love that blouse too, and the material sounds like heaven (it looks like it too ). A light blue shirt is such a classic and versatile piece and one can't get bored of it.
I recently realised, when wearing mine, that light cool shades like baby/washed blue and mint really complement my face and my colouring in general. Definitely not something I could say for pink or peach tones. Especially not now, when my hair became a little lighter.
Speaking of that, I can't wait to get a haircut next week, everything I put on feels fresher after. Also I'm a bit sick of my looong hair, I am planning to cut off about 20 cm.

PS.: Try the shirt with red lips too.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

24-04-2014
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinadaze View Post
Eizhowa, interesting that you are saying 'just' 32D, I find that pretty big. I am one cup smaller than you and don't consider it small by any means. Opposite, I often have troubles finding tops that fit both waist and bust area.
I totally forgot to comment on this. I consider a 32D to be a "just" because I can "just" get away with bralets and other unwired bras And if you don't wear padded and push-up bras, a 32D looks quite modest under clothes I feel. But I have difficulties finding shirts that fit across the bust as well. I usually need a Euro 34 to make the sleeves and shoulders fit right, but my bust looks best in a 36/38... I had to re-sell (at a profit at least) the most delicious Joseph silk shirt, because it gaped at the bust I usually prefer more voluminous blouses though, so making it fit at the waist is not usually a big deal for me.

24-04-2014
Power to the 99%

The collar is really cute! I like the idea of red lips--doing that myself today

25-04-2014
tfs star

@Jindaze: I second the red lips. I love red lips and nails with light colours. Ditto on the loooong hair for me too, fresh rebonding and cutting off a bit on Tuesday. Should feel good!

@Betina: LOVE your Prada sunnies!!! In fact I was considering them too! They suit your style really well, since the rest of your wardrobe is charming and more classic. However I always ask myself whether I should continue to plunge pell-mell down what has been called my Morticia/fofolle/baroque route, which the glasses would all but baptise. If left unchecked it keeps getting out of hand and I seem to scare people (and myself ) enough already as it is. Although I've totally re-embraced the blackness of my wardrobe so I don't feel compelled to make many additions any more, balance and options should be considered, lol.

By the way, yesterday I just saw a girl walk down Rue de Rivoli with your double-sided tartan scarf and thought of you. She looked fantastic.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#5, #6, 45, french, piece, wardrobe