How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

11-08-2014
trendsetter

Nymphaea, you have a point here. I am actually looking for a more structured bag this time, so I will see in store how this one keeps its form when half empty.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)

Last edited by Jinadaze; 11-08-2014 at 03:21 PM.

11-08-2014
Power to the 99%

^ In your second pic it appears to be holding its shape pretty well--the sides are flattening slightly, but not like an empty Speedy.

16-08-2014
front row

Well, it's been a while for me as well! Life has been hectic on a lot of fronts for me.

Basically what I need the most right now is to clean my wardrobe again... and I need new, slimmer hangers so that I can organize it better.

I bought new sneakers recently after postponing that for about a year and ever since I've fallen back on wearing them pretty much every day (even for work - which I am allowed to do), I basically wear trousers and sneakers and either a blouse or a t-shirt every day, and it's becoming a little stale...

I've tried to wear more skirts and I realized I enjoy wearing them. I want to wear more dresses, but I am very unsure of what styles do fit me. I know I don't want anything too short, nor tight fitting, as it won't look well on me - but a lot of "flowier" dresses seem to look a bit childlike or "cutesie", or either too casual or too dressy, so I'm not quite sure. Any hint on that direction would be welcome.

Most of what I bought this year so far has worked nicely for me, I believe... but I have to cut back on the expenses as I scratched one of my eyeglasses' lenses and it will be expensive to have it replaced

17-08-2014
front row

Hi everyone!

Good to be posting here again. I always try to check in every month to see what you are all up to. I see you've all made some great additions to your wardrobes. Jinadaze your new bag looks lovely! barbaraaa I'll think of some dress shapes and try to suggest something, dresses are so easy to wear though, it's the main reason I like them.

As for me, I think the last time I posted was at the beginning of the summer ... I had just ordered an ASOS Premium maxi dress, which has proven to be one of my best buys ever. I've worn it so many times and received tonnes of compliments on it, it really is gorgeous! Also managed to fill my closet with nonsensic clothing for the beach, but it was what I needed, so that's my excuse.

I'm so excited about F/W! I've already bought a few things, mainly a biker leather jacket, which is so cool. It's faux leather, and I love it over everything. I can tell I'll wear it a lot this season. I've also created a board on Pinterest where I've pinned lots of things I like and will later decide what to get. I'm waiting for a few items in the mail, two pairs of ankle boots (I basically have to throw away all of mine, they're so old), a tan color and some black ones with zipper detailing. Oh, and a camel colored coat which looked really soft on the website, I hope it looks just as great in person.

I really need a lot of things, because most of my items are getting a bit old and looking worse for wear. Mostly I have to revamp my shoe cupboard and my lingerie drawer ... I have my eye on a few gorgeous bralettes, they're basically all I wear these days. If you have any recommendations for good lingerie brands, I'd love to hear them.

Regarding the items I'd like, there's way too many. I need to narrow the list down. But really, my wardrobe has some gaping holes - I don't own a single shirt, and I have about 8 jackets and coats - so silly! So I'm thinking ...
  • Drape detailing. I have my eye on an ASOS white jumper which has a drape in the back. It would look gorgeous with a bare back or a black lace bralette I think.
  • Something studded. I think it'll just be a tank top for layering. Preferrably with silver studs.
  • A faux fur gilet. I've wanted one for years, so maybe I'll finally find a good one in 2014.
  • Some costume jewelry. The problem with inexpensive jewelry is that it just breaks and tarnishes so easily ... I went through my collection today and threw out most of it.
  • Scarf, hat, gloves. A pair of leather gloves hopefully, then a wide brimmed felt fedora, and I'd like a replacement for my faux fur scarf. I was thinking about something in burgundy, but I'm not sure - I have a red plaid scarf already from last year.
  • Basic tops. Because I just don't have any! I'd like some with text on them and a few plain tees as well.
  • A fall bag. I've found two cute options in ZARA, we'll see.

That's it for me! I'll check back soon, have a great evening ladies (or whatever time of the day it is where you are)

18-08-2014
tfs star

I really should have been planning my items for the coming season, but while on holiday last week I stumbled upon a couple of things that were left on my SS wishlist, and couldn't resist: a tan leather tote (finally!) and a Saint James striped tee. Love them both!

I was really pleased with my wardrobe at the end of last winter, but thinking about it now I feel overwhelmed and blah and like there is much more I need than I thought. First thing I know I am looking for is a pair of black leather boots...

eizhowa, I thought about you today as I saw a merino wool sweater in that rust colour you like at Benetton. I can't remember if you already bought something like it, but if not perhaps it's worth checking out.

20-08-2014
tfs star

So I am looking for a pair of black leather lace-up/combat boots, but something that is not too clunky or heavy. I quite like these from Saint Laurent and these Prada ones, but they are obviously way out of my budget. Any idea on where to look for something similar? I've seen some versions around in cheap high street shops, but I would like something that will last me more than a few months...

21-08-2014
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramel View Post
So I am looking for a pair of black leather lace-up/combat boots, but something that is not too clunky or heavy. I quite like these from Saint Laurent and these Prada ones, but they are obviously way out of my budget. Any idea on where to look for something similar? I've seen some versions around in cheap high street shops, but I would like something that will last me more than a few months...
Hi there, I am a first time poster but I have read this thread right from its beginning, and it's what inspired me to become a member. Hope it's okay for me to butt in!
Over the last year I've had clear out after clear out and through this thread and various blogs have started to understand how to recognise quality and invest in it, and my wardrobe is so much better for it. The thought of having as many clothes etc as I had now horrifies me!

What I wanted to say here, is that those boots immediately bring All Saints to mind for me. Their quality should last a little longer, and they'd be more around the £200 mark, if that's suitable. There are a few similar styles but not sure if they are exactly what you're looking for.

21-08-2014
Power to the 99%

^ It definitely is ... welcome!

21-08-2014
tfs star

^Welcome, Halo! I love seeing new people in our thread! Do you have any plans for this F/W?

Caramel: Thank you for the sweater-tip. I will check it out when I go to town My sister found a pair of genuine leather combat boots in the style you are after in a sales bin for 200 NOK one summer... Maybe you will be just as lucky I really would like to see some pictures of your tee and your new bag!

Juliette:
It is so nice to hear your updates! That camel coat sounds nice. I would love some pictures if you get it.

--

I was able to get my hands on a pair of black ballet flats at last For once, I didn't get a pair of porsellis. They felt a bit plain in black, and I figured were lots great ballet flats out there. So I bought a pair of second hand Chanel flats in great condition on ebay instead. They ended up costing just almost as much as the porsellis, but they were already fitted with really excellent protective soles so I think they were worth it Really, who doesn't like a great cobbler job? The fit is not quite as great as the porsellis, but you can't improve on perfection They will probably need some breaking in because of the patent toe-cap.

This is the style I got:

bluespinach.com.au

I also picked up two sales item on my summer holiday. I got a pair of tan soft leather gloves in a sales bin for £1 They are the exact same color as my tan porsellis, so they should work well with my wardrobe. The other item was a quilted Noa Noa coat. It is the same model that Betina bought this spring, but instead of being black, it is a grey-blue-ish color. Everything is pictured on my pinterest wardrobe board.

Looking back, I bought a lot of stuff this summer:S A few pieces were donated to friends right away (lucky them). I think part of the problem has been that I don't really budget, so if I am not certain I just gamble... I have a spreadsheet with all of my purchases, but I have actually never limited myself financially. I am going to try to do just that this fall. With a spending limit, I will have to cut down. I technically have everything I need, so it should be fine.

Other great news, fall has arrived (aaaaahhhh, nice cold wind), so my SS clothes not fitting right isn't an issue anymore

fashion elite

^Nice eizhowa!
Because you're so into ballet flats , have you had any experience with Repetto Cendrillon leather ballet flats? Or maybe other people in this thread?

Welcome Halo! How more the merrier.

tfs star

I do love ballet flats I have no experience with Repetto unfortunately. I think I decided they looked too stiff and that the toe box was too small. They are cut too low for my feet.

They do look very cute though

Edit: I think these videos have been shared before, but just in case I am wrong and you are interested, there is a guy on Youtube who deconstructs Repetto and other ballet flats so that you can see how they are made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6flRXUZ5RA

I find it fascinating at least...

Last edited by eizhowa; 22-08-2014 at 09:22 AM.
22-08-2014
fashion elite

^Thanks eizhowa, interesting vids.

tfs star

Lovely ballet flats eizhowa!
I was living in black ballet flats these past few weeks in Japan...but I find that in Paris I just prefer boots most of the year round...I prefer to wear ballet flats barefoot, and it's too cold there...although not as much as Norway...

For fall, still looking for a nice pair of dressy heels and a gorgeous knee-length dress after so many seasons. So frustrating I've gotten so impatient with shopping lately...can't do much more than one hour...which doesn't help in conjunction with my uber-picky tendencies. I'm so thankful for those occasional inspired unplanned splurges I've done in the past. I might want a nice new warm coat, actually. I wear my three coats so often, and the fur one I inherited died so now I have two.

22-08-2014
windowshopping

I love those flats eizhowa! Quality ballet flats are something I really want to invest in eventually, but the way the weather is down here, living in sandals is a lot more practical.

My wardrobe and the restraint I was enforcing on it went by the wayside when we moved to the south of the United States. The weather is a lot different here than where I am originally from. It is way hotter, and right now instead of thinking of fall and winter purchases that are all over the stores, I am still trying to find ways to stay cool. With this drastic difference in weather overall, I'm going to have to reevaluate what works for what season.

22-08-2014
fashion elite

^^OMG, your fur coat died?! Feels very sad and funny at the same time.
I share your uber-picky tendencies, it's with me all the time, luckily, otherwise there wouldn't be any penny in my bank account anymore.
I will try on the ballet flats when I'm in London, just like some more things on my list.
The dress and boots in one of my previous posts are on it's way to me, curious how they will look in real life.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#6, #7, 45, french, piece, wardrobe