How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

3 Weeks Ago
Automated Thread Manager

The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #8
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

3 Weeks Ago
Automated Thread Manager

The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #7
This is a continuation thread, the old thread is Here

3 Weeks Ago
Power to the 99%

Thanks, fewormany and Nymphaea ... and first Dries, how exciting :heart:

3 Weeks Ago
front row

misstarsunshine, unfortunately I doubt you will be very inspired by the French street style... especially coming from a colourful place like Australia where very few judge your appearances.... In Paris, you will most probably end up wanting/having to wear a variation of black/grey/neutral...

It also depends where you live in Paris and how you live... If you have to ride the RER everyday juggling strollers, baby carrier and whatnot you might not want to experiment that much... Very few parisians metro station are equipped for the disabled or the ones with small infants and strollers etc... so keeping it simple and efficient will be key.... And since parisians are not known for their friendliness I wouldn't expect too much help in the subway etc...

The other thing I want to say is: there is nothing wrong with not being a minimalist and I am actually quite inspired by you because if I was a bit more like you, all those clothes I spend tons of money on wouldn't be at Oxfam charity shops and the like.. I am glad it made someone happy but if I was a bit more committed and a bit more inspired I might have been able to wear all those pieces instead of letting them go to a storage and then getting tired of them sitting there and doing nothing...

As for living out of a suitcase, I truly hope you won't! It is not fun at all. Hopefully you will settle well into your new city/house and be able to wear whatever you want and how you want it. If you feel like minimalism doesn't suit you then don't go there and bring let's say 100-120 pieces to still reduce the amount of things you will bring but still stay within your comfort zone with how many time you need variety.

Finally, with very young children I must say that, in my opinion, minimalism doesn't really work and I am not going to go there if, god willing, I have a child. Why? Because children spit, vomit, get dirty and you move around a lot, and have to carry them and do things with them etc... If you only have 3 t-shirts then what happens?

Ta-ta, can't wait to see the blouse!

trendsetter

I am getting a pretty nice tax refund this year, and although most of it is going to my savings account I am considering buying a small thing, that I wouldn't have done other wise. Perhaps a missoni headband. I have been wanting one since last summer, but I haven't felt like paying that kind of money for a headband. - and now I can not find the colour I want anywhere.

3 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
misstarsunshine, unfortunately I doubt you will be very inspired by the French street style... especially coming from a colourful place like Australia where very few judge your appearances.... In Paris, you will most probably end up wanting/having to wear a variation of black/grey/neutral...
Don't tempt me! That sounds amazing! I stayed in this tiny Italian town for a week, and if the Parisians are as chic as the Italian I would be in love!

Betina: What color Missoni headband did you want? You are so black and grey (in a very good way) that I have no idea which color you have fallen in love with. I had a serious crush on a Missoni knee length skirt once It was brown oc.

Misstarsunshine: I don't know if this is for you, but there is a female author who talks about her "10 item wardrobe" on youtube. She doesn't litteraly only have 10 pieces, but her entire wardrobe is centred around 10 key pieces. I think she has 2 young kids, and she has lived in Paris. Maybe she will inspire you? Her name is Jennifer Scott and she wrote a book called "Lessons from Madame Chic". The entire content is on youtube, so it is free

Last edited by eizhowa; 3 Weeks Ago at 08:52 AM.
3 Weeks Ago
backstage pass

To be honest, I didn't find the Parisians that special style-wise. I think the whole French-look is very overhyped. Not to mention the attitude the average Parisian has that overshadows any kind of chicness. I'm not a big fan of Paris, in case you haven't noticed. Not meaning to scare you Misstarsunshine, most people don't share my opinion.

bentinapple, I'm curious as well. They usually use different shades of one color in one garment which makes it look less solid and therefor less colorfull (imo), maybe that makes the difference eizhowa. I found a great navy Missoni blazer when looking for a knitted blazer, above my budget though.

The Dries van Noten cardigan and tee I ordered are on their way. They'll both inject some more color into my s/s wardrobe (the cardigan is green/yellow striped and the tee had a green army/animal print).

3 Weeks Ago
trendsetter

Well, I have my eyes on a black/white one, of course It is on my wardrobe inspiration board on pinterest, but it is sold out. I like the coloured ones very much, but like you guys, I do not see it matching with my style.

3 Weeks Ago
tfs star

Welcome to Paris missstarsunshine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewormany View Post
To be honest, I didn't find the Parisians that special style-wise. I think the whole French-look is very overhyped. Not to mention the attitude the average Parisian has that overshadows any kind of chicness. I'm not a big fan of Paris, in case you haven't noticed. Not meaning to scare you Misstarsunshine, most people don't share my opinion.
Eizhowa, the Parisians are nowhere near as chic as Italians, lol! They do have their own laid-back stylishness though.

And Fewormany, I think you'll be glad to find that the Parisians will be the first to agree with you ! Paris is cold, grey, filthy, stinky, messy, and grumpy, and nobody complains more about it than the Parisians. Personally, though, I love it nevertheless, there is so much beauty to compensate

Eva H is right that color is rare to see in Paris...black, grey, brownish neutrals...Parisians really prefer to blend in and look laid back...

but...must disagree re suitcase living and little children, when I spend a month babysitting my toddler nephew I just wear my usual black minimalist capsule wardrobe and it's perfect. Here it's grey and drizzly and cold much of the year except spring, and a few weeks in summer if you're lucky--if not, we just end up wearing our down jackets in the summer When I came to Paris 5 years ago I thought I'd stay a few months so I just came with a suitcase full of clothes...it was perfectly fine, because we just wash and repeat anyway. Just make sure everything goes with everything, take a bunch of your favorite jewelry, and buy your bulkiest winter items here: winter coat and a few sweaters and a pair or two of boots, and you'll be set.

Last edited by Melisande; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:58 PM.
3 Weeks Ago
fashion elite

1 piece per month
I have a question. Those of you who stick to/attempt to stick to buying 1 piece per month, where do you draw the line? Do you count t-shirts, jeans ect.? I know I can make up my own rules, but I'd like to hear from you guys

I am buying much better than I did before, but I still buy too much for my liking. I would like to try the 1ppm metod, but I need to define what that means for me first. If I don't I will be able to justify just about everything by twisting the loose rules.

Assuming my blazer works out, this is my wishlist for Spring:
April - black leather belt with brass buckle
May - Rockins scarf

trendsetter

^ I wouldn't count basics, no. Neither would I count underwear/lingerie and smaller inexpensive accessories as 4-5 pieces, because they are not staples.

I got my Mango order yesterday and both items are extremely comfy indeed. Even too much so, I am almost drowning in the smallest size. It really annoys me to no end how the sizes are getting bigger and bigger ... I decided to keep both items though as they will be very usable in hot summers. Especially the trousers are so light and airy. I and don't even mind for T-shirts to be a bit oversized, they usually are anyway.

Power to the 99%

eizhowa, I count tops and jeans, but usually not white Ts, unless I know my spending for the season is going to be minimal. I don't count lingerie, loungewear, or accessories.

PS I stick to 5 pieces per season, or 10 a year rather than 12.

3 Weeks Ago
trendsetter

@Eizhowa: I haven't be able to stick with one piece pr. month, but generally I count jeans and basic tees, but not socks, hosiery, underwear or (inexpensive) accesories.

I have tried to set limits that challenges me; I don't buy too much in regards of underwear, tights etc. (or sportswear for that matter), therefore, I don't need limits in that area. And I rearely buy inexpensive jewelry, or jewelry in general, for that matter. Therefore I do not feel like I need limitations.

I did consider the necklace I bought in the fall a piece, since it made up for a big part of my spending budget. Same thing goes for my ACNE scarf.

3 Weeks Ago
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewormany View Post
You and me both my friend. Don't worry most French share your opinions, and most parisians who live in real life/real Paris as opposed to postcard Paris can relate as well...
They always come back from London saying things like "you got green hair and no one cares!! No one look at you!" "Oh my god it's not only size 36/8/4 that wear short dresses and shorts there! You can even if you are not perfect body wise" And I just roll my eyes... Paris is an extremely judgmental place, where not looking like the norm attract either pity, smirk or those other unpleasant images...

Eizowha, I did not know that spending your life in black/grey meant being chic... I think it is more of how you wear your clothes instead of what colour you pick... Jina is an all black girl at heart but when you look at her... It is insane how good she looks and how great it works on her, with her attitude, the way she speaks and the way she carries herself... Like Melisande said, Parisians tend to navigate towards those colours to blend in most and foremost, not make waves and look like everyone. It has nothing to do with being chic

As for the 1 piece per month, my idea is to not count loungewear/sportswear/lingerie/jewellery but I will be counting tops/jeans/accessories like bags etc like ta-ta. That being said, I am not sure ta-ta way of doing it would work well with someone who does not have the kind of established wardrobe that she already has. I think Jina way is probably the best...at least if I feel like my way is too restrictive, I will switch to hers.

Plus, if I remember correctly you work part-time in an area not related to your degree, study full time, you will probably begin doing internships at some point in your field (law?) and then work. And you might not dress the same for all those "you" that there are thus it would make sense to maybe have a bit more to start with so you can cover all those functions and streamline down the line... I don't know if it makes sense Or maybe the strength of that capsule wardrobe thing is to have inter-changeable pieces that work in any situation... But even in the into-mind workbook she talks about how it can't always work for a professional or someone whose lives are a bit more complicated and advocate creating capsule wardrobes for those other lives/functions as well..

front row

Eizhowa
I don't count the basic items. I've made a polyvore summary of all the basics that I need. So if I need a new grey shirt I know that it's part of my basic wardrobe so i don't count that one.

The things that I count are the special items that I want to buy. Now I want to buy a grey blazer but Im going to wait for a month or two because I've already bought an expensive jacket.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#7, #8, 45, french, piece, wardrobe