The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #9 - Page 11 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
10-02-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
I consider us a support group for people who want to buy less and better clothes
Totally!

10-02-2016
scenester

^^Wow I just came to this thread to say how I love that this is the most popular thread in the personal style section. Shows that people really do appreciate quality over quantity even though it seems hard to come by!

My style has evolved as such that these are the basics which have nearly eliminated the 'I have nothing to wear days'

Neutral coloured tank tops, mostly black if we're being serious here
Skinny quality, high waisted black jeans with stretch (Always flexible and comfy but not jegging like- ew)
High quality round blazers in soft colours to throw over top
Pointy flats for summer spring, black ankle boots for winter fall
Gorgeous accessories to complete the look

Or

Tights and dress shorts, or short rompers.
Repeat above.

It's so simple and comfortable. Dress up with heels and an up-do.

10-02-2016
#Resist

^ Welcome I think that is the mark of a successful wardrobe ... that you never feel you have nothing to wear (and that you feel what you are wearing is 'you').

11-02-2016
tfs star

@Melisande: totally aggree on the shoes! They really change an outfit. My over knee boots arrived yesterday, so I am picking them up today! Hope they're nice - I really think they will spice everything up, like you say. Which kind do you have? Sounds like a really cool top/dress!

I aggree with you re boots. I have 5 pairs and while I do not use all of them on a regular basis all the time, I will get back to them. I did not wear my Chelsea boots for the past two years almost and my tall ACNE boots I did not wear last winter, but I have worn both a lot this year.

@The moon: sounds so nice that you've developed a go to style!

I aggree with the others, btw: I think the greatest thing about this thread is the diversity. And the fact that there is room for anyone wanting to shop less, no matter your budget or how strict 5pfw you are.

Am I the only one who can see a clear pattern in my purchases? I have noticed that I tend to go for: stripe tops, black skirts (shorter, a-line for the most part), and black boots. It is what I am always drawn to, I usually have one of these things on my wishlist I have a lot of 'em in my wardrobe - at this point I only have black skirts, I have 5-6 different kind of stripey blouses, and I have 6 pair of black boots. The other day I went to a store and the only thing I tried on was 4 black skirts I have felt like I need to limit myself, and I might do just a little, but these are items I wear a lot and feel comfortable in.

And speaking of that, I know I said I wanted to try more colours, but I just don't see it happening. I like colour, but I feel most comfortable in monochrome outfits and I feel like it is easier getting dressed.

I sure I wanted that button down skirt in denim, but the other day I tried one on in black suede, and besides from fitting perfectly I also believe that it might have a better chance of becoming a classic in my wardrobe, and I also see it working better for winter with sweaters.
Also I think I would like to add a pair of black wide legged pants or flare pants. Preferably a bit cropped. I have thought about that since last summer, but haven't found the right pair.

So my updated wishlist is

- Button down skirt in suede
- Black camisole
- Black pants

- 1 or 2 sweaters (black and/or grey probably)
- Classic wool coat

I will probably get the skirt next month and the camisole I will put on my b-day wishlist. I am trying to stick to a budget and two 1-2 pieces pr. month.

11-02-2016
front row

Still haven't got the chance to try Russian Red and Ruby Woo, but a lot of friends said it goes dry on them. So sad... I did receive two Korean lipstick brand called Aritaum with vibrant colors. The lipstick has brushlike cushion on the other end to make ombre lips. Never succeed to make a good ombre, but the lipstick itself is very nice. I will try to finish those before buying a new one.

[
QUOTE=Melisande;13476941]

Floodette:
Lollipop is kind of an orangey-fire-engine red. My favorite for a long time was French Can Can from Mavala which is similar, perhaps slightly closer to a true red. They have a huge range of reds. I love Chanel reds too, and the quality of their polish is fantastic.
:[/QUOTE]

Thanks a lot for the suggestion! Alas, Mavala here has no Can Can, and their colors are quite limited. I am toying with idea of Essie Fifth Avenue (but review said it was kinda transparant?) and Wicked for the vampy color.
BTW Melisande, how impressive that you are making a shirt! How is the progress? do post the final product here.

As I need white blouse, got a cream silk top from Tibi. I think the quality is better than DvF. Or maybe I am wrong?

11-02-2016
#Resist

betina, just wanted to mention re suede ... it can be a cleaning nightmare. It's beautiful, though, so maybe worth it?

Once at a party, an attorney spilled a whole glass of red wine on my suede skirt ... I thought offering to pay for the cleaning would have been highly appropriate, but she did not. I have also created occasions for cleaning it myself. My cleaners send all leather to another city, and I'd say it costs about 4x as much as a textile skirt to clean, plus there's a significant time delay.

Not trying to discourage you, just thought I would mention ...

11-02-2016
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
betina, just wanted to mention re suede ... it can be a cleaning nightmare. It's beautiful, though, so maybe worth it?

Once at a party, an attorney spilled a whole glass of red wine on my suede skirt ... I thought offering to pay for the cleaning would have been highly appropriate, but she did not. I have also created occasions for cleaning it myself. My cleaners send all leather to another city, and I'd say it costs about 4x as much as a textile skirt to clean, plus there's a significant time delay.

Not trying to discourage you, just thought I would mention ...
I was actually thinking about asking you guys that, but then I thought, it is black suede and it might not be a big problem - so thank you for mentioning it!

I don't spill much (any more ) and rarely on my bottoms, so I think I'll take the chance, but it is definetely something to consider.

@Floodette: not sure if it is the right hue, but I love the Chanel Coquelicot. Their polishes are expensive, but very good (for me at least!)

11-02-2016
V.I.P.

My wishlist for Spring/summer:

1. Black trouser, low to mid rise, cropped to the ankle, and fitted through the hips and thighs
2. Black shorts, low to mid rise, with a folded hem
3. White tee, not off white, but white white, with a deep v-neck with a thick seam around the neckline
4. Black belt, to go with the trousers and shorts, preferably with two prongs

Ideally.

farfetch.com/Jades24.com/johnlewis.com/mulberry.com

11-02-2016
#Resist

^ Very nice, very specific

Right now I am working on my fall purchases Which isn't too bad, considering the fairly unprecedented shopping spree I've been on! There are still a few more (Lanvin) pieces I'd like to get ... a couple pairs of shoes, a wallet, and a T. Alber's final runway collection is in pre-order at the moment ... I'm not sure if there's anything new yet to see at this point or not. The T I want is from Yoox ... only thing (I want) at a reasonable price right now. I'm sure things will be filtering in to Yoox for at least the next year, and it'll probably be another year and a half before some of them reach a reasonable price. Perhaps by then Alber will be designing again ... I hope?

We got our bonus info today ... I'll get it the end of the month while I'm on vacation. Maybe I'll get up early to do a little online shopping before I leave for my retreat

11-02-2016
V.I.P.

^Thank you! I suspect the specificness will be my downfall...

Your Lanvin shopping spree made me check out the selection on Ebay. Some of the dresses made me hyperventilate because they were that gorgeous All out of my budget and not my size thankfully. Or it would have been unbearable.

11-02-2016
#Resist

^ If you have trouble with the cuffed shorts, maybe you can find some black pants (maybe consignment?) and make them yourself ...

I kind of got my fill of the secondary market with my TheRealReal purchases. When I took the permanently stained dress to the cleaners and they told me it couldn't be fixed, I promised myself I would never have that conversation again Not about someone else's mess ... I have enough problems without buying more

Designer dress prices in general make me hyperventilate, and not in a good way I really can't justify paying full price, given the small percentage of my life when it's appropriate to wear one, but I'm there for a bargain ...

And speaking of bargains, there are some Lanvin shoe bargains on Yoox right now. And some other nice things too at good prices, just not in my size.

barbara, tell us more about your Yoox skirts ...

11-02-2016
V.I.P.

^For the shorts, I am considering just hemming some regular shorts. I am so short that I need my shorts extra short. That scentence made me dizzy... I have done this before and was very happy with the result

12-02-2016
tfs star

@Eizhowa: Nice items! I am thinking that there will probably be a shorts style outthere that you can hem yourself. There gotta be some advantages to being a short girl

@Ta-ta: I actually noticed some Lanvin shoes when browsing through yoox the other day. The price was a lot more reasonable than I thought it would be.

I recieved my boots yesterday, but it was too dark to try them on with outfits. The fit seemed good though.

12-02-2016
tfs star

Also I looked a bit further regarding the skirt, and found one in velvet. That might be a possibility as well.

12-02-2016
tfs star

@The Moon and Ta-ta: so true! I haven't had a nothing-to-wear day in years, this is a very good sign. It's choosing pieces well and making sure the other items go with them. Which is what this thread discusses. (I do have slightly bored days but that is better than nothing-to-wear days).
@Betina: hope your boots are good!
@Eizhowa: "I like short shorts, Flying Purple People Eater!"

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#8, #9, 45, french, piece, wardrobe