The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #9 - Page 56 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

1 Week Ago
#Resist

^ I have a system so I will remember I have a hook on the outside of my bathroom door where I hang up my clothes after I wear them each week. So I just had to count what was there, look at what is waiting to go to the cleaners, and then remember what I'd taken to the cleaners already. This way if I repeat an item in a week, I know it. It doesn't prevent me from repeating something from Friday to Monday though

I too am keeping an eye on the distressing on my older pair of denim trousers I basically don't want skin showing. They are made nicely with a good inside seam, so where a lot of the wear is on the outside, there's another layer of denim inside. This is really extending their life. Nonetheless, they are hanging on by a thread ...

I imagine the reason I'm wearing more pieces is just a longer accumulation. That plus not putting these things in the washing machine for the most part (just for the occasional emergency). Even though I wear things out regularly, there's still a net addition of pieces in most years.

With the loss of my black top, though, the pieces I can wear during the spring and summer will change. Some of the pieces I counted in my closet were part of outfits I can no longer make in warm weather without that top. So probably next year I should look at some type of replacement for it ...
Save

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 1 Week Ago at 11:44 AM.
1 Week Ago
#Resist

Another black top has died This is the third one! All from about the same period as I think about it. This was 3/4 sleeve, and both the elastic at the neck and the elastane in the fabric have given up the ghost. I've demoted it to loungewear for the moment, but if it continues to drive me nuts like it did at work today, it's history! (No need to cover up straps at home. There are no straps )

1 Week Ago
V.I.P.

I did a rough count, and if I include all the t-shirts I wear, belts, bags, scarves, sunglasses as well as occationwear I am definitely way over 25 pieces. And I also tend to borrow (sometimes with permission) stuff for short periods of times.

Oh, and I have some great news I want to share with you! My Ray Ban Wayfarers are turning 10 this summer (they grow up so fast) and you are all invited to the birthday party! Gifts are optional. No, I am just kidding. Gifts are not optional lol.

Last edited by eizhowa; 1 Week Ago at 08:17 AM.
1 Week Ago
#Resist

^ I have learned the hard way that No gifts doesn't always mean no gifts Happy birthday to the Wayfarers! I have never managed to hang on to sunglasses for anything like that long. I think they were stolen though

6 Days Ago
tfs star

Wayfarers are my favourite, although I don't have them for as long as you do, eizhowa (3 years now). They are very lightweight in comparison to some other sunglasses I own. I mosty wear these and Celine ones, which are a burden to my poor sinuses.

5 Days Ago
tfs star

Congrats with your little ones, Eizhowa

@Ta-ta: seems like you need to stock up on black tops soon? Hopefully the cause of death isn't contagious

What do you guys do with occasion wear?

We have 2 weddings this year and it has been a while since we had events like that, so most of my party dresses I have either sold or I do not feel like wearing.

One of them is my good friends wedding and she thought I should wear the 2nd dress from our own wedding last year, which I will probably do, since I love that dress and have so few occasions to wear it.

But I need a dress for the other wedding. I think ocassion wear is tricky since I want something that are more dressy than what I would wear for every day, but at the same time do not want to spend a ton of money on something I can only wear for parties - anyone else know that feeling? I think I might end up wearing the dark Ganni wrap dress and find a pair of nice shoes to go with it, since I will have more use of them than a fancy dress.

5 Days Ago
V.I.P.

Betina, can you borrow a dress from a friend? I totally get how you feel about spending a lot of money on non-versatile occationwear.

tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
Betina, can you borrow a dress from a friend? I totally get how you feel about spending a lot of money on non-versatile occationwear.
That is a good idea - thx! I'll try to ask some of my friends who wear the same size as me. I wish we had something like Rent the Runway in Denmark.

5 Days Ago
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betinapple View Post
Congrats with your little ones, Eizhowa

@Ta-ta: seems like you need to stock up on black tops soon? Hopefully the cause of death isn't contagious

What do you guys do with occasion wear?

We have 2 weddings this year and it has been a while since we had events like that, so most of my party dresses I have either sold or I do not feel like wearing.

One of them is my good friends wedding and she thought I should wear the 2nd dress from our own wedding last year, which I will probably do, since I love that dress and have so few occasions to wear it.

But I need a dress for the other wedding. I think ocassion wear is tricky since I want something that are more dressy than what I would wear for every day, but at the same time do not want to spend a ton of money on something I can only wear for parties - anyone else know that feeling? I think I might end up wearing the dark Ganni wrap dress and find a pair of nice shoes to go with it, since I will have more use of them than a fancy dress.
A skirt. A maxi colourful skirt that you can dress up or down. If you tend to not have a lot of those events and/or your friends have semi-formal weddings then it is the best/cheapest solution IMO (after either renting or borrowing like Eizohwa said). If it is black tie then it is best to invest in some gowns and then switch depending on the guests you will see there. I do not know your field of work but in my opinion it is always good to invest in 4-5 gowns. If it will not be for black tie weddings, you might need them for gala / birthdays / work functions etc..

Edit: renting - check out bridesmaids / wedding shops. Bridesmaids dresses can do and sometimes wedding shops have evening wear options

Last edited by EvaH; 5 Days Ago at 07:25 AM.
5 Days Ago
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvaH View Post
A skirt. A maxi colourful skirt that you can dress up or down. If you tend to not have a lot of those events and/or your friends have semi-formal weddings then it is the best/cheapest solution IMO (after either renting or borrowing like Eizohwa said). If it is black tie then it is best to invest in some gowns and then switch depending on the guests you will see there. I do not know your field of work but in my opinion it is always good to invest in 4-5 gowns. If it will not be for black tie weddings, you might need them for gala / birthdays / work functions etc..

Edit: renting - check out bridesmaids / wedding shops. Bridesmaids dresses can do and sometimes wedding shops have evening wear options
Maxi skirt might be a good option - thanks! I definetely do not need to get a gown. Aside for my high school graduation ball, I have never had to wear a gown and within my current field of work it will not be neccesary either

4 Days Ago
#Resist

^ I too have never needed a gown in the four decades when I could have been wearing one

I go with separates myself, like a black pencil skirt and a beautiful silk blouse. Both can then be worn with other things ... A dress is traditional, but I feel that tradition is a poor reason to do something, particularly when it means buying something that's not useful.

But I think your idea of getting new shoes to go with the dress you already have is a good one. Do you still have those red satin shoes? The shoes I got for my brother's wedding (black suede MiuMius) have really been workhorses. The heel is quite comfortable and I wear them to work as well as out on the weekend.

It does seem like a contagion in my closet ... but I'm practically certain that it's not

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#8, #9, 45, french, piece, wardrobe