The 4-5 piece French wardrobe #9 - Page 7 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

23-01-2016
tfs star

So much for my transition out of the Morticia/Comme des Garçons/Convent/Baroque look and foray into the preppy... I went what would have been grocery shopping and came home with yet another long black woolen skirt! But it was so cute, a full, box-pleated, flouncy style, tea-length, in super-warm thick wool, fully lined, pretty well-made, and with pockets!! And 50% off. I'm going somewhere very snowy next and I couldn't bear the thought of only having short breezy skirts to wear. It's okay, it will serve me well. Welcome, little one, to the sisterhood of black skirts.

Last edited by Melisande; 23-01-2016 at 10:11 AM.
23-01-2016
backstage pass

Why turn away from something that works for you? Preppy Morticia it is.

23-01-2016
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by eizhowa View Post
I completely missed the part about your new job, Barbaraa! Congrats! (lets pretend thats me in a party hat with fireworks in my hand, and not a wizard with a wand)

Thank you everyone! I had applied to this job a couple of years ago and didn't get in, and now I did! I'm very happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fewormany View Post
great t-shirt by Chayalan (I needed some non-solid tops for the summer)
Love love love both the t-shirt and the frames!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melisande View Post
So much for my transition out of the Morticia/Comme des Garçons/Convent/Baroque look and foray into the preppy...
I'll be honest with you here, I'm jealous of the Morticia look! I wish I had the guts/aesthetics to pull off all-black... and it's just not that, but I love some colours and I definitely love prints, so I would have to turn away from things I do love! And like Fewormany said - why turn away from something that works?

23-01-2016
tfs star

Haha Preppy Morticia Boggles the mind but there you are!
Aww you are both very sweet, thank you!
It works so easily and seamlessly and elegantly so I do like it, but I guess it's just that sometimes I get bored of it, and it does make for a more intense look that could scare others and even yourself Just last month I showed up for a Christmas party where everyone was in red and green and sparkles and I was there with my black lace skirt and black lace sweater and long black hair and onyx jewelry and had to apologize Yes, you are both right, as long as I have other options when I desire them it's fine to come back to all-black once in a while.

Barbaraaa
, yes congratulations on your new job!! And really, does all-black take guts to pull off? I never realized, but I guess it all comes down to what you feel most like yourself in. By all means, as you say, stay with the colours and patterns that work for you...but you might also be surprised that you enjoy having one black dress or a black top and black pants or skirt to wear once in a while...maybe worth trying

23-01-2016
backstage pass

I do have a lot of black... most of my shoes, most of my trousers, four dresses that come to mind, and several tops and blazers! It feels elegant and chic, but like you say, when I go all black I feel outside the norm and like I should apologise... that's where the guts come into place!

23-01-2016
#Resist

I'm wearing my new black dress today ... and realizing I finally have the LBD I've never had before! I am liking it ... and the big sleeves are really flattering--the rest of you looks tiny! (The man knows what he's doing.) I removed the hooks this morning as I like it better on me without them--and so cute how it's made inside--there are extra bits of fabric reinforcing both the hook and the eye, on either side of the side seams. Just made so well ...

Wearing it with my leopard snake ballerinas today, and then will change into heels for dinner. Probably black Valentino suede/grosgrain/ribbon tie booties ...

PS I wouldn't apologize ... as Julia Child said, Never complain, never explain ... Now if you were carrying a pail of black tar and spilled it, that would be cause for apology

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 23-01-2016 at 04:55 PM.
23-01-2016
tfs star

Ta-ta your dress and outfits sound absolutely fabulous!!! Have fun!

"never complain, never explain", good one. I'm very good with the first part but veeeery bad with the second

Barbaraaa, haha, it depends on where I think...the only reason I felt bad was because it was a festive Christmas party and I looked like a one-woman walking funeral. But in the end I was the life of the party so it was okay, lol. Oh, one time I even showed up to an actual memorial service and the person whispered "Aww, you didn't need to wear all black" so I had to whisper back "It's what I always wear"...

24-01-2016
tfs star

Congrats on your new job Barbaraa!

I really cannot recall even feeling like I had to apologize for wearing all black, nor that I looked Goth/Morticia. But then again, I live en Denmark, everyone wears black

24-01-2016
tfs star

And also, hair colour/style and makeup etc. make a huge difference...

25-01-2016
tfs star

^You are perfectly right - also I do believe that the norm in your area makes a difference in regards to how all black looks are percieved. We had a couple of years in Denmark where a lot of (young) people wore all black a lot, and noone cared since it was normal, I guess.

25-01-2016
V.I.P.

I have difficulty wearing all black as well. I can do black cropped trousers with black ballet flats and a black shirt, but I feel completely off if I wear black boots, jeans and a coat. I guess it is because when I wear all black I feel the silhouette becomes more important. I esily feel heavy/drained in certain black outfits.

The people who look good in black around the face are so fortunate. Very few pale blondes do unfortunately

I have seen Betina in all balck and I think she can pull it of very well. Good silhoettes as well

Fewormany: Love the grey jeans. They look like the perfect shade of grey!

V.I.P.

A couple of years ago I was having lunch at Harvey Nichols and I was wearing only black, also my friends with me wore a lot of black. The waiter there was wondering in a funny way if we just had attended a funeral.

front row

So funny, as I plan to go back to all black. I love colorful bags and scarf (and red red RED nails and lips) and black is a good backdrop.

26-01-2016
tfs star

That is so interesting to hear all your takes on black. I personally love seeing blondes wearing all black...I love the contrast.

So true about the silhouettes. And yes, red red red nails and lips all the way.
And yes Betina does do black well, as I mentioned before I like how you accentuate it with white.

***I forgot to mention that the reason I felt the need to apologize for wearing black was for cultural reasons, the people hosting me at the party. In certain cultures it actually is frowned upon to wear black for festive occasions, considered sort of like a bad omen. I guess I wouldn't apologize in Europe, certainly not in Paris!

26-01-2016
tfs star

And yes a belated congratulations on your purchases Fewormany! it's true, I love the shade of gray you've chosen. I've started getting socks and tights in that colour as an option to black, and I love it, so soothing and goes with everything. I recently discovered it goes beautifully with burnt orange too. I had an identical grey men's sweater which I loved but I lent it to a friend and never saw it since (it's okay we're still close )

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#8, #9, 45, french, piece, wardrobe