How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-08-2009
front row

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/6...tpants....html

This is the article mentioned in the fashionista quote too!

telegraph.co.uk

I don't know how to properly embed these articles in my post without copying and pasting? Maybe someone else cant tell me how or just do it! lol

27-08-2009
V.I.P.

it doesn't look good when it's copy+pasted ?

ETA: i see.. the whole site gets highlighted when you copy
i just copy the article text and then right-click the picture to get the link and post here...

Last edited by gius; 27-08-2009 at 02:26 PM.
27-08-2009
V.I.P.

telegraph.co.uk
***edited*** Notice from copuright holder to remove content.
Crossing a style line: (from left) Mark Ronson, Jamie Hince, Jason Statham Photo: REX FEATURES, PA

Little is more British than a man in drag. If we had a national dress, it would be just that. From stags in suspenders to pantomime dames, most British men would happily swap trousers for laughs. Bad drag is good fun. But raiding your girlfriend’s wardrobe without a fancy-dress party in sight? That is crossing a style line. Worryingly, though, “girlfriend fashion” is in danger of spiralling into a full-blown trend.
No man – or woman – can fail to wince at the pictures of Jamie Hince wearing what look like girlfriend Kate Moss’s denim hot pants in St Tropez recently. Hot pants are for svelte-bottomed Kylies, for size-zero Daisy Dukes, for Kate Moss. Only a certain kind of woman can carry them off – and they definitely should never be worn by men. Hince looks unnerved and unmanned. They’re so snug you can count the euros in his pocket. The artfully frayed hems are dangerously high. And, viewed from the back, he clearly has a girl’s bum. Not hot.
On top, he appears to be wearing a navy silk D&G jacket with white piping — from the women’s summer collection. Ironically, this garment is part of the whole “boyfriend fashion” trend, in which women wear clothes that appear to belong to a man (the “boyfriend cardigan” typifies this look), and it looks good. Even swamped by fabric, the effect is pleasingly tomboyish and cool. It suggests waking up after an unexpectedly hot date and getting dressed in whatever you find on the floor.
But it doesn’t work the other way around. Guys popping out to the shops or turning up to the office in girls’ clothing? Just plain wrong. Hince’s hot pants are unspeakable, and he’s wearing a jacket designed for a woman to look like she has borrowed something from a man. The gender lines are more blurred than Moss’s eyeliner after a night out.
It’s not the first time Hince has indulged in a spot of girlfriend dressing, either. Last year, he was snapped wearing a grey, two-button cardigan and Louis Vuitton Sprouse scarf that was still warm from Moss. Sadly, he’s not alone.
Last week, actor Jason Statham was seen with a clutch bag tucked under his arm. Statham, who is famous for his hard-man roles in Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Crank, may have discovered his feminine side, but I wish he’d suppress it (although, to give him his due, the clutch was from ultra-chic label Bottega Veneta).
In New York last month, music producer Mark Ronson sported a big, Seventies-style plaid coat with a furry collar. It was more granny than girlfriend – but still a lady look.
Skinny jeans on men are one thing, but leggings? Step forward Russell Brand, who is rarely out of his Sass & Bide’s “Rats” leggings. Curiously, Brand can just about get away with it. Yes, they make him look like a spider, but that’s his look – the Elnetted backcombed mane, the borderline Liz Taylor mascara. Likewise for Noel Fielding. Maybe it’s a comedian thing: we need them to be funny – and leggings on men are certainly laughable.
Last year, Real Madrid star Cristiano Ronaldo poured himself into a succession of increasingly tiny shorts. The microscopic satiny white numbers, for instance, were totally go-go dancer. At a press conference in Ireland, Ronaldo said: “I’m always trying to copy my family – my sisters and my mum – but it’s not possible: she’s more beautiful than me. But I try.” Maybe too hard.
So, why are men adopting this look? Perhaps we’re raiding ladies’ wardrobes out of sheer boredom. After all, men have fewer fashion options. Women have it all, plus accessories. That brings with it the agony of choice, but surely it’s better than the male monotony of trousers or jeans, T-shirt or shirt.
That’s not to condone it – unless you’re on a stag night or in a pantomime. In which case, ladies, hide your hot pants.

Last edited by BetteT; 10-11-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: See above.
27-08-2009
Power to the 99%

^ Isn't Marc wearing kilts ... which are actually menswear?

28-08-2009
V.I.P.

^^^ thanks christrinity ...

i like how they start this little paper, but then it (very) quickly goes onto the "bryanboy virus" ...
and that's not really what i want ...

i've worn clutches and women bags during the early 00s, so to me this is already old-fashioned (ahah !)
and it's no more about getting women outfits into menswear, but ADAPTING womens outfits for mens warderobe ...

what they say about Jamie is very funny - coz we've been talking about it in the Kate Moss thread during her St Tropez vacations ...
and I loved his silk blouse !

but perhaps it's easier to adapt a menswear warderobe for women ?
YSL perfectly managed into this challenge ! I mean ... women in his suits are gorgeous ! they wear masculine outfit (a suit) but manage to keep their strong feminity ...

why would it be difficult for men ?

Quote:
^ Isn't Marc wearing kilts ... which are actually menswear?
absolutely ...

* i don't know if i'm understood ! *

28-08-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
why would it be difficult for men ?
to put it another way, why easier for women.. maybe because most men's clothes are quite neutral. in many cases. they can suit any face, any body, they're practically soul and character-less... design-wise.

whereas women's clothes they can really change the wearer's appearance. so many styles. they also have chiffon and organza... a man who chooses to wear women's clothes can do so more easily if they have a face to match with the clothes they want to wear...
some men's faces are quite masculine, strong jaw, neck... they can just look silly

so we often have to 'edit' the design/look

i wear women's clothes (and shoes) too but i'm noticing they are probably more sport or menswear influenced actually and i'd say it's the same for the women's designer collections that i like.
so i wonder what that says about me

women wearing men's clothes.
women wearing men's clothes styled for women.
men wearing women's clothes.
men wearing women's clothes styled for a man (is there such thing?)
or (me)) men wearing men's clothes styled for a woman

28-08-2009
Power to the 99%

^ I would agree that women's clothes have more of a 'charge' ... and perhaps more of a sexual agenda.

I will say that I don't like women in ties ... I have bought them for myself, not a man's tie but a tie made for a woman, and still I was very uncomfortable wearing it.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
adapting, man, versa, vice, woman