How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-08-2009
V.I.P.

Adapting a woman's look for a man (and vice versa)
ok ...
perhaps a similar thread does exist ?

whatever ...

just wanted to open this to have fun ... and coz i'm sure a lot of men are sometimes craving onto women looks and wonder how to adopt this into a male wardrobe ...

it's NOT about cross-dressing, travestite etc.

post your wishes and people will help you ...

if this thread isn't living a long time. i wouldn't be surprised ...

Have FUN !

24-08-2009
V.I.P.

berlin ,i'm curious what you would choose ^^

24-08-2009
V.I.P.

well ...
my problem with my own idea ... is that i feel it comes with good intentions BUT seems way too hard to realize !

like i'm currently in love with a look of Rihanna (definitely not ashamed !) in her clip Rehab ... she's wearing a white jacket (pretty well constructed, purpose to be worn on a woman body) + 50s sunglasses and Chanel pearl earings ... + black lingerie and white high heels (louboutin ?) ...

How would someone transform the attitude and spirit this outfit smell for a man ?
ok forget the lingerie ... but the look needs the sexyness feeling ... the earings and sunglasses are a strong part of my love for this look ... how would i make possible on a man ?

I would love to know and will applaud forever the person who would suggest anything !

* i guess something easier would more appropriate for a first post *

GlamourVanity.com via Libra Skye18
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rihannalyinginstockings.jpg (45.0 KB, 8 views)

24-08-2009
Power to the 99%

White jacket, white shades, red shoes ... is that a Lucite bangle? Perhaps you could find a chunky watch? You could do a black silk T under the white jacket ...

25-08-2009
V.I.P.

i have to agree with the black silk under the white jacket.. maybe sexier if it is sheer. and the jacket might be quite open, a large and deep v-neck

for some reason i feel like i have seen guys in this style but i don't know where from.. probably the 80s, 90s? music scene.. even japanese animated films. also i can imagine david bowie in this

25-08-2009
V.I.P.

geez !
great ideas !
* so i have to applaud all my life ? oops ... *

though i'm not really into silk T ... would go for a black silk shirt (and sheer is nice idea, too, gius !) ...

oh no ... don't tell i would look like Bowie ... ! (i like him, but not my style, at all !)

what sort of pants, by the way ?
brut jeans is enough and nice ?

25-08-2009
V.I.P.

are you after a look that's quite masculine (ie. armani type) or you want to be closer to androgynous.. it's interesting you want to add the earring. i think those diamond ones are nice, i'm not sure if it's diamond..but it's sparkly and it's like crystal. i really have this vague memory of a man with a pearl or some other large earring, just one ear, but i can't remember where...and it was an oval shape and hung from the ear. not as big as this, but you get the idea:

it was quite stylish. and he must have had hair like rihanna's here, and it was black black. i sort of connect the look with what i see in some japanese comics geared for more adult audiences. the art style. something sinister usually, the topic.. ghosts, vampires, things like that

es.geocities.com/eiga9 | i.pinger.pl/pgr464
fashionfashoff has this kind of avatar, but i think it's from a different artist. this one is by akimi yoshida

25-08-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
are you after a look that's quite masculine (ie. armani type) or you want to be closer to androgynous.. it's interesting you want to add the earring.
what made you think i wanted the earings ?
NO !

I want something close to masculine !
definitely not the androgyne type !

25-08-2009
V.I.P.

you said this
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
... the earings and sunglasses are a strong part of my love for this look ... how would i make possible on a man ?
in that case forget everything i said about the earrings and japanese horror comics @_@

i've seen it in some old ads from the 90s.. i'll check.. it was a white jacket with a black shirt and worn with either white pants or tighter black pants.
but yeah denim is nice

Last edited by gius; 25-08-2009 at 05:18 AM.
25-08-2009
V.I.P.

^oh yeah ....

well no i don't want earings ...
though i know i have a picture of some magazine (a man of profile) where a man is wearing earings and it's amazing ... but it's a fashion shot ... and i'm not sure it would be cool on me ...

('ll try to find it back ...)

25-08-2009
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
geez !
great ideas !
* so i have to applaud all my life ? oops ... *

though i'm not really into silk T ... would go for a black silk shirt (and sheer is nice idea, too, gius !) ...

oh no ... don't tell i would look like Bowie ... ! (i like him, but not my style, at all !)

what sort of pants, by the way ?
brut jeans is enough and nice ?
Black jeans? White jeans?

25-08-2009
front row

I Love this thread idea! I spend all my time looking at women's clothes and looks between here and work, sometimes I'm so jealous of all the stuff they can wear, especially cos I have access to some amazing women's pieces/collections with my job, so would love to see how to adapt different looks to a more masculine perspective. Love the advice already given

25-08-2009
V.I.P.

one thing that bothers me^ is being restricted to trousers or shorts.. and i don't really wear shorts unless i'm at home. that's another idea if anyone has any suggestions!

BR how about slicking the hair back
the black shirt underneath can also have a boat neck (wider than in this picture) or scoop neck. gucci s/s '06 has more ideas for the neck and fabrics here

men.style.com
i couldn't find the ads/pictures i was talking about in my computer..

25-08-2009
Power to the 99%

^ gius, you could lead the way & start wearing skirts :p

27-08-2009
front row

Just saw something interesting on fashionista about this very topic!

Ever since the dawn of feminism women have been adopting menswear pieces into their wardrobes and looking cute doing so. From the inevitable menswear spreads in the September sssues of magazines to the Jean Paul Gaultier ads featuring Raquel Zimmerman in woman and man form, women in men’s clothing has become the social norm and not the least bit shocking. Isn’t every woman’s favorite “morning-at-boyfriend’s-apartment” activity going through his wardrobe and snagging a few shirts and sweaters?
But a man in a skirt or hot pants? Likely to get stares and glares. The Telegraph recently published a story about “Girlfriend Dressing” featuring pictures of Jamie Hince in what seems to be girlfriend Kate Moss’ short shorts and fitted blazer. I can’t blame him; who wouldn’t want to play dress-up in Kate Moss’ wardrobe? In all seriousness, though, why can’t men in women’s clothing be taken seriously the way women in men’s clothing can?
Almost every time a man is featured in women’s clothing in a fashion mag, there’s always a kitschy undertone or a bit of camp (not that we don’t love those Cole Mohr Marc by MJ ads). Marc Jacobs has been sporting a skirt for quite a while now and I’m totally into it, and no one looks better in Balenciaga capes than Andre Leon Talley, but why can’t more men feel comfortable in at least some women’s items? I think there’s no problem with a boy in a lady’s cardigan or short shorts (if you’ve got it flaunt it), but the outside world seems to disagree.
What about you?

fashionista.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
adapting, man, versa, vice, woman