How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-04-2005
scenester

This is such an interesting thread. What I've noticed over the past few pages is that some people seem to get offended by the criticism against "hipsters" because they believe themselves to fall into this demographic. But I don't think that anyone should take offense to what is being said here because being a "hipster" isn't so much about fashion or style as it is about an arrogant attitude and an obssession with "image" .

Personally I think that the fashion specifics are almost tangential; someone with an Hermes Birkin can be as much of a wannabe as someone in Chuck Taylors, or someone in a trucker hat. The ultimate thing about "hipsterdom" is a sense of "false consciousness": "hipsters" like to think that they're not being conformist when the fact of the matter is they're just buying into another kind of pre-fabricated identity rather than becoming self-actualized individuals. If you know who you really are and have a strong sense of self-identity, then you'll never be a "hipster" regardless of whether or not you shop at Marc Jacobs or wear Golas.

22-04-2005
front row

I probably dress in a kind of "hipster" style, if you were to label it. I like indie music, "electroclash", classic rock. Fashion and music have always been my biggest passions. I also love art, architecture, film and literature. I have very definite likes and dislikes and very strong opinions. But I certainly don't think someone who has different opinions and interests is any less of a person. But... I wouldn't want to hang out with them.

Doesn't everyone want to find friends who share your opinions and interests? What's so bad about finding a group of people with whom you identify? Because it almost seems like people are annoyed by the fact that these people all dress similarly and share a passion for the same style of music and art. Sure, there are posers, as with any group, but for the most part I think "hipsters" are that because they identify with the ideals, the music, the art, etc. I think that most don't have this annoying attitude you talk of, but those that do give the whole a bad image. What sucks is that, as with any group, you see bad traits in some and assume that the rest are like that.

I guess I would fit best into the "hipster" category if one were to try and stick me in a box. But the label kind of really sucks.

Last edited by bohemian rhapsody; 22-04-2005 at 09:16 PM.
23-04-2005
scenester

Quote:
Sure, there are posers, as with any group, but for the most part I think "hipsters" are that because they identify with the ideals, the music, the art, etc. I think that most don't have this annoying attitude you talk of, but those that do give the whole a bad image. What sucks is that, as with any group, you see bad traits in some and assume that the rest are like that.
I tend to have a different definition of what a "hipster" is from other people--for me it's about attitude more than it is about clothes or ideals or love of music or art or anything like that. I like Aimee's definition here: http://hipstersareannoying.blogspot.....html#81433590

Just to make things clear, I'm not saying that people who like art or indie music or Marc Jacobs or anything like that are automatically "hipsters"--that's a matter of taste more than anything else, and I believe that everyone is entitled to like what they like. What I'm saying is that people who are intellectually pretentious and are obssessed with trying to look and act "cool" are "hipsters." Doesn't matter if they're from the Lower East Side or the Upper West Side or if they wear Manolos or Golas--I think that the "hipster" attitude transcends demographics.

I'm aware that there are other definitions of "hipster" that are far more specific, but I'm not sure that I agree with them.

Last edited by novaII; 23-04-2005 at 06:42 AM.
02-05-2005
princely

the more i read this, the more i worry

24-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultramarine
Hum ... I just noticed that a lot of my friends ARE hipsters ... lets see ... they're 20-something photographers, graphic designers, dj's, film createurs, plastic artists, a bit snobby, most of them have wealthy parents or an impressive last name ... hum ... am I one?

PS I cant be cuz I hate the scent of cannabis .. it makes me puke.
I noticed mine too, most are into photography, interior designing, arts, movies, indie rock bands..... They all dress like typical hipsters : destroyed jeans, converse hi tops and all come from very wealthy families and all went to prep schools.

But they are in no way arrogant or snobbish or anything. They have a true passion for what they like and don't spend their whole time bragging about their "unique" interests. I think the definitions of hipster in this thread are pushing the whole concept way too far. Of course there are those hipsters who are very phony and try to force themself into this whole culture just to actually be accepted. But among those kids who bear the same physical appearance, there are also kids who REALLY do like art and know how to appreciate things that are "supposedly" different.

I myself like indie rock bands, converse hi tops in black, I come from a moderately wealthy family, I went to a private school once in the past, I am interested in fashion, music and art. I like to hang out a cute coffee shops. But do that make me a hipster? Is there a difference btwn non arrogant hipsters and arrogant hipsters? Or do they all fall into the same category?

I don't really like to classify people, because classification is used for objects, not humans. I think we're all very different. And if anyone is arrogant or being snobby about their supposed originalities, it's just a projection of their insecurities. I think deep down inside, we're all a bunch of arrongant hipsters, it's just our level of moral values and way of perceiving things (which were a lot influenced by our friends, family, history.....) that differentiates us.

Last edited by Kimkhuu; 24-05-2005 at 11:56 AM.
24-05-2005
V.I.P.

Kim, the difference between a hipster and a non-hipster is simple and huge. Hipster = trying/pretending to be into all that stuff. Non-hipster = actually into all that stuff. Hipsters are terribly pretentious.

24-05-2005
V.I.P.

I think to answer that, I must explain myself clearly. In a way or another, all human beings are TERRIBLY insecure. It's just the level of control we have on our insecurities that makes a difference.

In this thread we were ALL able to point out the hipster traits and precisely draw their portraits. We were able to say why they are so phony / unoriginal at the end of the day. By being able to point out those "mainstream offstreams", we need to have some sort of arrogant hipster trait no? Because isn't one of the caracteristic of the hipster pointing out "conformists". And aren't we pointing hipsters and calling them a bunch of conformists under a disguise?

24-05-2005
scenester

i think that the chuck taylors are an essential part of hipsterism.this has impressed me since 2003 when nike acquired Converse for $305 million.many hipsters are strongly anti multi national and anti establishment so this makes the chuck taylor a very very ironic shoe for the reasons they choose to wear it.most hipsters i have met are also quite taken with irony and i was impressed that they were able to achieve it so effortlessly and oblivious.
(the best part of this was ripping the nike logos off some old air force ones sticking them on to some chuck taylors and wearing them to the local emo establishment)
but seriously you want to know what a hipster is just look it up in Webster's
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...ster&x=15&y=15

24-05-2005
V.I.P.

lol i was ggogling hipster and i foudn this quiz are you a hipster or not ?? It made me laugh as i thort it was quite ironice in a werid way but im not sure how (ok so im confusing) so acording to this im a "hipster"

http://rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/testgen/271/

Im not sure hipsters as such even exsist, i know this sounds stupid but i think all these labels are created and then people try to fit into them, the original label is then lost and all the styles get kind of merdged.

(omg how confusing am i today i know what i want to say im just having trouble putting it down)

24-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixoid
i think that the chuck taylors are an essential part of hipsterism.this has impressed me since 2003 when nike acquired Converse for $305 million.many hipsters are strongly anti multi national and anti establishment so this makes the chuck taylor a very very ironic shoe for the reasons they choose to wear it.
Agreed but aren't we taking this way too far. What if people only wear it because they like the way Converse look? I think we're pushing things a bit too far.

24-05-2005
V.I.P.

I think people in this thread taking it too seriously.

24-05-2005
V.I.P.

^^ i alos agree i would say nearly every girl in my year owns at least one pair of covnerse or converse style shoes. So if your a hipster for wearing them, but if a hipster is someone who doesnt like mainstream then this makes no sense.

24-05-2005
V.I.P.

that was agreeing with you first point but i agree with the 2nd 2 !!

24-05-2005
V.I.P.

I think we have to make something clear here, a hipster is someone who is categorized because of his/her snobbish mentality. There are NON hipsters who dress like hipsters and don't think the same way.

24-05-2005
V.I.P.

Depends if your definition of hipsters throws the people who dress like hipsters in that same group.....

Argggggh......

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hipster, wrong