How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

26-06-2005
windowshopping

hm never knew what a hipster was, read the first couple of posts here and it seems to be pretty admirable to be a "hipster" because you don't really care about materialistic things.. but i personally don't think i'd ever be able to become one.. haha because i just have a huge fettish for shoes :p

26-06-2005
windowshopping

o and.. what is exactly indie rock.. examples? would postal service be considered indie rock? haha sorry for my ignorance

27-06-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblonndie
Yuck. Who are these people?
Haha, they're the "hipsters" of Los Angeles. They go to all the "cool" parties and listen to all the "cool" music and wear all the "cool" clothes, etc. etc. etc. There's also a lot of behind-the-scenes pictures of bands there (like Bloc Party, Interpol, The Killers, and some lesser-known bands) because they personally know them. I think it's kind of interesting to browse through the pictures... some of them are pretty crude though .

It's basically this photographer that is a hipster himself (god I hate that word), and he just decided to take pictures of people in the "cool" parties and concerts that he goes to and post them on the internet. I just today saw an article about it in Zink magazine.

27-06-2005
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewonn
o and.. what is exactly indie rock.. examples? would postal service be considered indie rock? haha sorry for my ignorance
Yes, Postal Service is considered indie rock by a lot of people. Indie rock is really a very stupid label for music- it's supposed to mean "independent"- so in other words bands that aren't signed or that are signed to small independent labels. It actually has a lot to do with hipsters because they only like the indie music, and then once it gets popular they don't like it anymore. I'm just describing the stereotypical hipster. But then bands like Modest Mouse, Death Cab For Cutie, etc. are also called indie rock- but they aren't really indie because they are signed to major record companies. So it's really a stupid music classification- it's just alternative rock that is "underground" and not mainstream, but there are so many acceptions to it... I hope I'm not too confusing

08-07-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by scblonndie
Yuck. Who are these people?
I the cobra snake ,now I love to go to LA '
caus for indie rock lovers there's not much to do here (in Belgium)
I find the pics very amusing

ingenue

we have a thread on the cobrasnake polaroids: http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...polaroid+scene
I agree there's some crude stuff on there but once in a while are some cute hipster kids with unique style.

08-07-2005
daisy in my lazy eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugfashion
caus for indie rock lovers there's not much to do here (in Belgium)
my fave 'indie bands' nowadays happen to come from Belgium

08-07-2005
rising star

^haha, me too. I always look through them and am just like... wow... .

08-07-2005
rising star

^ sorry, I meant that as a reply to fugfashion's post...

08-07-2005
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by perlefine
my fave 'indie bands' nowadays happen to come from Belgium
yes I , i like the 'belgian indie bands' too but still .. I feel like I'm missing out on something ...I don't know what ..

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia
we have a thread on the cobrasnake polaroids: http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...polaroid+scene
I agree there's some crude stuff on there but once in a while are some cute hipster kids with unique style.
thanks , I didn't know there was a thread

daisy in my lazy eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugfashion
yes I , i like the 'belgian indie bands' too but still .. I feel like I'm missing out on something ...I don't know what ..
You always expect it to be completely different on the other end of the world, but it ends up being just the same. Obviously not if you want to compare it to the LA Hollywood kind of lifestyle. Don't ask me where, but I'm sure you can find similar parties and gigs in Belgium to those you see on the Cobrasnake.

That's my theory :p

09-07-2005
fashion insider

^ ok you're probably right but I'm only sixteen so ,I'm probably "unexperienced" :p

V.I.P.

(I just posted a similar thingy in the scene style thread in Trendspotting).

Wow, after reading this thread, I feel like a hipster?!

Except here where I am, there are no hipsters. The more annoying trend is the fashionista/Parishiltonesque girls who are everywhere and follow any trend set, whether they like it or not. They do not care about pushing the boundaries, they don't care about anything new or different or anything that is not universally liked. Now THAT is so annoying.

Now as for the whole thing why I feel like a hipster now;

I'm a pretty much anti-mainstream person music and film (although not as much as music) wise. Fashion-wise, I wear whatever I like, which leans towards the more rock 'n' roll, grunge look buttt I like cute stuff like polka dots, stripes, etc. so I don't really fit into one category.
But I do feel a lot like people don't really get my taste in music, etc. cos I swear to you, 90% of the people I know listen to the Black Eyed Peas.
I don't claim to know much about philosophy and literature, but I like abstract-type books and I do not like romance and drama.

Hopefully I do not fall under any stereotypical category. I just find to be reading about all this so...strange. Since I've never really met anyone like that. I've always been looked at as someone who doesn't-like-rnb-omg-and-doesn't-wear-LV-bags. I think here in Europe, there's a bigger problem with over-mainstreamism than with hipsterism.

But I know for a fact there are a couple of people who listen to stuff like The Used, Evanescence and Blink 182 and whatever and think that they are all so pained-and-lost-in-this-world-and-no-one-gets-them. But maybe that's a whole new stereotype?...

V.I.P.

Some stuff I forgot to add;

I just suppose it's different in the US, people there are more ahead of the curve; there are more stereotypes.

But I kind of get now (after reading a few more pages of the thread) why people dislike hipsters; as softgrey, I think, said, they sort of force the whole I'm different from everyone and no one gets me thing on them. Maybe I was born a hipster or whatever, but I know that when I was 7 and listened to britpop and the Cure, my whole school thought I was some insane freak.

But I also don't think there's anything wrong with individuality and what fits you, right? If you're more of a pretty in pink dress up clean-looking preppy girl, be it. Not because it's trendy nor because it is rebellious, but cos it's you.

God can you tell this is bothering me? I really don't want to be a labelled a hipster if I ever visit the US for my dislike of mainstream music and (generally speaking, not all, though) trends.

Last edited by twilight fairy; 11-09-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hipster, wrong