How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-06-2008
tfs star

What exactly is wrong with being a hipster?
I see everyone kind of poke at it and make fun of the style, but honestly, i don't see why it's the butt of everyones joke, because personally I'm probably a hipster, I've had people call me it, insultingly to me, and I always just shrug...So i'm really just wondering what is wrong with being a hipster? And why is being called a hipster supposedly insulting? Doesn't the word technically just mean being hip? Sheeeeeeeeet I'll be hip.

23-06-2008
windowshopping

I live in New Orleans too!! and I love Colette and the music and the extreme cool high and low mix clothes and accessories....Colette is so parisian hip

23-06-2008
The future is stupid

Why even care what people think? People like that are only projecting their own insecurities onto you... that's their problem... not yours. So... if you're happy & comfortable with who you are... I wouldn't even waste my time worrying about it.

23-06-2008
windowshopping

unfortunately the world is full of people who like to judge. Be yourself, and if that happens to be a "hipster"....live it and love it.

No one can take away your happiness or self-completion

23-06-2008
backstage pass

there's nothing wrong with being a hipster but a lot of people dislike the idea of trying to be hipster.. ok confusing i know. my friend was talking about this earlier. there's something wrong someone who desperately tries to fit an image, ie hipster, scenester, whatever other stereotypes there are, by dismissing other things like style, music, etc. because it does not fit with their image.. like trying to hard.

and the fact that many call themselves hipsters, it's evidence that they are trying to hard to portray an image rather than just being themselves.. iono i'm bad with words.

but again, do as you please

23-06-2008
fashion insider

Try hards.

Desperately wanting to be different ; edgy and quirky.

Disliking something mainstream just because *everyone* is into it is stupid IMO.

They are just as sheepish as those running around with Juicy tracksuits; Uggs and monogram LV bags.

BTW Im sterotyping for the sake of the argument

23-06-2008
trendsetter

I love people who try to look different, and I love most subcultural "style tribes", even if their aesthetic preferences don't fit my own. But I admit, I don't like hipsters very much, for two main reasons. First, I find their air of nonchalance very pretentious. There's no shame in looking like you made an effort to look good (or quirky or edgy, whatever you're aiming for). In my experience, hipsters spend an awful lot of time on looking like they just got out of bed, and they criticize other people for trying too hard. Secondly, there's a strong undercurrent of irony in hipster style (which I can't figure out how to describe, I hope people understand what I'm talking about). I appreciated it at first, but now I'm just tired of it. Whichever way you want to dress, embrace it! Irony is a cop-out.

Last edited by GasolineRainbow; 23-06-2008 at 05:11 AM.
23-06-2008
front row

I think if you are naturally into quirky and fun clothes then that is your own personal style and there's nothing wrong with it. It's just that many 'hipsters' and 'scenesters' dress like that for the sake of following this newest trend and have a tendency to criticise/look down on other stereotypical style tribes e.g. chavs, emos, sloaney types, which is ironic as most hipsters are not 'individual'. If you are happy to be whatever you want to be and leave other people to do the same, then the negative connotations of 'hipster' don't apply.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retailqueen View Post
They are just as sheepish as those running around with Juicy tracksuits; Uggs and monogram LV bags.
yeah. I obviously don't feel like going out pointing fingers and judging those who I may believe have hipster tendencies cause sometimes, they're far from that mold but being a hipster, in all sense of the word, is.. .. the word in itself explains it all.. they almost strictly follow a uniform in the way they dress, what they listen to, the way they speak, they seem to have zero sense of individuality.. there are many people like that in the world but what's particularly annoying about a conventional hipster is the fact that everything I mentioned above is what he arrogantly claims to be against of.. what he allegedly rejects and pretends to look down on.. a hipster is completely convinced that his style is gloriously groundbreaking or just damn crazy and spontaneous with the good ol' 'it just took me 5 minutes to put this together in the morning'.. when there's almost a chandelier hanging from the person's ear.. and then you flip through Nylon or whatever.. and, voilá..there's the outfit being shown.. head to toe.. now I don't question the timing nor the originality points... just the lack of credentials to call it your style and even laugh at others who do the same thing via Cosmo.
that would be my argument, having met a few hipsters here and there as they seem to be everything this town can produce.. sorry if I sound horribly stereotyping too.. I'm just being open-hearted about explaning why exactly I would 'shurg' at the concept.

tfs star

I think it's exactly what people have already stated, that people go out of their way to have their whole image revolve around fitting into the subculture. And I don't get the irony thing only because I don't see why people want to wear things ironically instead of wearing things they actually like. To be honest, some of the people whose style I like could be considered hipsteresque I guess but I like what they wear. I think if someone fits into it because they're actually wearing things they actually like, they're not claiming to be original and they just happen to like hipster friendly music, then that's who that person is and that's perfectly fine.

23-06-2008
tfs star

right but i dont really follow trends, because they're too fast for me, yet i still get called a hipster. i didnt even really understand what a hipster was until like... a couple months ago. the whole hipster revolution isn't real big here.

23-06-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by briones122692 View Post
I live in New Orleans too!! and I love Colette and the music and the extreme cool high and low mix clothes and accessories....Colette is so parisian hip
represent!!!!!!!!

24-06-2008
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
yeah. I obviously don't feel like going out pointing fingers and judging those who I may believe have hipster tendencies cause sometimes, they're far from that mold but being a hipster, in all sense of the word, is.. .. the word in itself explains it all.. they almost strictly follow a uniform in the way they dress, what they listen to, the way they speak, they seem to have zero sense of individuality.. there are many people like that in the world but what's particularly annoying about a conventional hipster is the fact that everything I mentioned above is what he arrogantly claims to be against of.. what he allegedly rejects and pretends to look down on.. a hipster is completely convinced that his style is gloriously groundbreaking or just damn crazy and spontaneous with the good ol' 'it just took me 5 minutes to put this together in the morning'.. when there's almost a chandelier hanging from the person's ear.. and then you flip through Nylon or whatever.. and, voilá..there's the outfit being shown.. head to toe.. now I don't question the timing nor the originality points... just the lack of credentials to call it your style and even laugh at others who do the same thing via Cosmo.
that would be my argument, having met a few hipsters here and there as they seem to be everything this town can produce.. sorry if I sound horribly stereotyping too.. I'm just being open-hearted about explaning why exactly I would 'shurg' at the concept.
Ahh you stated it better than me.

25-06-2008
front row

I secretly love hipsters...what are they up to at the moment? I used to live in the middle of the "rag district" in Sydney (aka hipster central). They seemed very into their plaid shirts/jazz shoes/brogues/ankle boots/fringes/knee socks/high waist jeans/70s tan leather shoulder bags last year. Those looks became mainstream pretty quickly though. So what are the hipsters wearing lately?

29-06-2008
tfs star

good question.
i see at urban outfitters feathers are really big.
b!tches.
i make feather hair clips earrings, etc, and i have been for YEARS. and i walk in there yesterday and they're selling them massmarketing them. i hate urban.
but i sometimes love them.
love/hate kinda thing.

Last edited by fashionista-ta; 30-06-2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: &*(!
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hipster, wrong