How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

07-07-2010
Frozen irony.

you get hipster royalty such as the likes of it girls (which are hipsters) such as Jen Brill landing the role as a spokesperson for chanel being just seen on the scene, being a hipster is something people...not admittedly, respect it's a hustle.

15-11-2010
trendsetter

I just read through all 19 pages of this thread. I found myself laughing and nodding at reading the many (and often accurate) definitions of the hipster personality and lifestyle. I spent my college years around hipsters so I could relate to the frustrations that many have with them.

I'm from the Midwest (Ohio, USA), so the hipsters around here tend to rebel against the conservative Bible Belt suburb life. Which is fine, but they take it to the extreme. The group I was around even went so far as to assign people numbers based on geeky/indie they were. When they weren't judging outsiders, they were judging each other. I remember one particular discussion where I had to defend my liking my mainstream music.

I fell into the hipster crowd largely because of my politics (liberal feminist), but I never identified with them (and conversely, they never identified me as one of them, several even publicly saying so. Which I am so thankful for). To give them credit, while many could be overly judgmental, they also did really care about their causes and tried sincerely to include live day to day according to their beliefs.

However, while they took me "in," they always recognized that while I was a geek, I was really more of a very repressed wannabe UES princess. We didn't discuss that, naturally. It was always their interests, their politics, their something all the time.

As for hipster fashion, it doesn't really appeal to me, but I do think Boho Chic does look nice from time to time. Too often, it comes across as too busy, too sloppy, too grudgy, too calculated.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hipster, wrong