How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-12-2004
rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine
Next question: what are scarfie shoes?

I could only find this:
boxing boots, respect M.E hightop adidas, i used to call em scarfie shoes because certain people wore these long scarves with these shoes, and i didnt really know what the shoes even were...

i havent seen a scarfie in forever.

28-12-2004
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynicepants
boxing boots, respect M.E hightop adidas, i used to call em scarfie shoes because certain people wore these long scarves with these shoes, and i didnt really know what the shoes even were...

i havent seen a scarfie in forever.
Thanks. Would these qualify?

rising star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangerine
Thanks. Would these qualify?
I wouldn't say so hehehe!

More like this :

28-12-2004
Soviet Camaro

Thanks heynicepants.

I love this thread.

As trends go, I like the hipster look. To me it is a classic rock and roll look. I don't really get tired of it. But maybe I just don't see it as much in SF as people do in NY or London, to name a couple of larger cities.

living in the sprawl

negative connotations can be associated with everything ... i guess I like the hipster look as I am always called emo (blast these people who are so more comfortable grouping people together) .. I was under the impressions hipsters died out in the 50s..

28-12-2004
tfs star

why hipster is not 'cool in usa'
as a clothing 'trend' the hipster look is fine, it has much in common with 'vintage' 'rock n roll' and even 'bohemian' or 'arty' dress. I myself wear certain vintage-y items from 60s-70s that are 'scenester-esque.' [1966 tweed sportcoat; 1976 emerson lake & palmer flash-rock tee shirt].

but specifically in usa and microcosmically in nyc, hipsters are identified as [usually] williamsburg and lower east-siders with a horrid 'cooler than thou' attitude based on nothing more than a pseudo-political-cultural stance. and this 'coolness' is usually based on their belief that only they know the cool bands & clothes. its really that superficial & if you engage them in conversations about history, culture, philosophy etc, you will be stunned at how their points of reference begin around 1983 wheh MTV debuted.
So its not cool to be 'a hipster' its 1 of the most hated 20-something dumb fads in nyc & I gather across america. 'hipster' carries a terrible connotation at this point and that is much-agreed upon.

the hipster clothing thing is fine.
it's the attitude & 'anti-' philosophy that is extremely irksome.

28-12-2004
Proponent of Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady grey
a horrid 'cooler than thou' attitude based on nothing more than a pseudo-political-cultural stance. and this 'coolness' is usually based on their belief that only they know the cool bands & clothes. its really that superficial & if you engage them in conversations about history, culture, philosophy etc, you will be stunned at how their points of reference begin around 1983 wheh MTV debuted.
So its not cool to be 'a hipster' its 1 of the most hated 20-something dumb fads in nyc & I gather across america. 'hipster' carries a terrible connotation at this point and that is much-agreed upon.

Hear, hear! It's those snotty, smug, wanna-be-arbiters who toast my biscuits. Then again, I might just be getting too damn old to put up with cliques and Ident-Kit subcultures.

Dressing funky is great, in my opinion (hell, I'm crazy about vintage/contemporary pairings and a modicum of irony-as-an-accessory), but herd mentality is a pain in the ***.

28-12-2004
V.I.P.

anoying pretensious people who think they are very cool, and they arn't

28-12-2004
etre soi-meme

in europe , hipsters are cool and they just dont care how others see them, really, they are the young artists, writters and intellectuals , nothing wrong with them in my book, i find bimbos or 'fashionistas' much more annoying , sorry

as for those shoes, neither fit the image of hipsters shoes here..

28-12-2004
barcode

To me, I think of people who think they're cool, but wouldn't dare admit that. Don't care what people think but subconsciously do otherwise why would they make such an effort to be different. And in my experience, they usually think they're above everyone else because of their "superior" taste in everything.

Of course, this is just the perversion of what a hipster truely is. It's just an effortless kind of cool, it comes without pretense and thought.

Oh, and as Acid said, hipsters are also a kind of trouser that hug the thighs and lay low on the hips.

28-12-2004
fashion elite

Hipsters are people who know about the next "it" neighboorhood before New York Magazine writes a two thousand word feature on it.

Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lena

as for those shoes, neither fit the image of hipsters shoes here..
Most of the US west coast hipsters I have seen wear Chuck Taylors (high or low) or the 70s retro leather/suede sneakers/trainers, not the hightops. I would say at the moment Puma is the most commonly seen of the leather ones, but Gola is making a strong bid and Adidas seems to have fallen back.

Quote:

Yes, I agree!

flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
as a clothing 'trend' the hipster look is fine, it has much in common with 'vintage' 'rock n roll' and even 'bohemian' or 'arty' dress. I myself wear certain vintage-y items from 60s-70s that are 'scenester-esque.' [1966 tweed sportcoat; 1976 emerson lake & palmer flash-rock tee shirt].

but specifically in usa and microcosmically in nyc, hipsters are identified as [usually] williamsburg and lower east-siders with a horrid 'cooler than thou' attitude based on nothing more than a pseudo-political-cultural stance. and this 'coolness' is usually based on their belief that only they know the cool bands & clothes. its really that superficial & if you engage them in conversations about history, culture, philosophy etc, you will be stunned at how their points of reference begin around 1983 wheh MTV debuted.

i will confirm this...it's the ATTITUDE that is the problem...but this is generally associated with youth and ignorance...the idea that anyone who isn't them is an idiot and has absolutely NO idea about anything remotely cool...it's a dismissive attitude...it's rampant in the fashion wannabes...including and especially young wannabe stylists (or really asst stylists)...and some young designers...(the ones i was trying to explain about in another thread)
the idea that if you don't like what they like...then you "just don't GET it"...well i GET it...i just DON"T LIKE IT...i am allowed to think for myself and because i have a different opinion from you ...doesn't make me stupid or 'uncool'...it just means i can think for myself...

and lady grey is right...ask them for a reason why...and their answer will usually be the standard 'you just don't get it'...meaning...'i have nothing to back up what i am saying so i will sneer at you in an attempt to make myself feel better"...

sound annoying???...IT IS...
hipster was once a cool thing..but these kids have bastardized it and now it's another word for annoying wannabes...

ps...lena...the thing sean said about the low waist pant was a joke...
hipster is another word for low waist pant (worn on the hip)...not about hipsters wear...

i am alot of the things that hipsters are...but i'm mature enough not to scoff at those who are different...it's very specific to a certain generation...arrogance associated with youth...
i think every generation has a group like this...

Last edited by softgrey; 28-12-2004 at 06:14 PM.
28-12-2004
seagreen serenades

Ah, so that's the name for them.

28-12-2004
V.I.P.

Ah, so that's the name for them.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hipster, wrong