How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

well...i personally don't really mind the look if you're a student or musician or in some kind of creative field...it can be fine..quite cute really...

or it can be a disaster...as we saw on the ny style thread...there are examples of both on there...

i think it's just very easy to slip into the 'trying too hard' category...
just as it is when trying to do the sex and the city look...
if it comes naturally...then i think it's fine...but, as with anything else, if it's something 'put on' or contrived...then it's annoying...
it really has to be authentic...or it just reeks of pretentiousness...which i think marc jacobs does...
and ..please...just leave the atitude at the door...

mm...would like to meet sarah...she sounds cool...

28-12-2004
princely

i better watch out for myslef

btw not a hipster..

28-12-2004
Rebaptising my badness

^^^^^well, I know they won't say this kind of stuff about me I don't like hipsters because they all look and act the same while trying to be different from everybody else. Where's the originality, the genius in it? And plus, being the music freak I am I get pi**ed at how pretentious they are in regards to their musical [I]knowledge[/]. I realised that the more you know, the more you see that there's still a lot to learn and apparently this is not their philosophy.
What could be wrong with the ordinary man on the street with ordinary clothes and taste? Why trying so hard to end up looking and sounding like fifty thousand others?

Last edited by Nemova; 28-12-2004 at 08:29 PM.
28-12-2004
& b

Oh the hell with the Hipsters I wouldn't be considered a hipster though, I dunno why... I do my own thing without caring if someone likes it or not

backstage pass

The hipsters were the beatniks, like Lena said. They were the writers like Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg, and the musicians like Charlie Parker and Miles Davis. They were really into being humble and mellow and looking for the 'real' stuff in life, instead of joining the rat race. Kind of like precursors to the hippies.

It's good to hear that Europe still has people like that, but in America the hipsters usually want to be hipsters because it's cool, and not because they are disturbed by society. Any trend is annoying, but this one is really sad because it is completely hypocritical of the original idea. But maybe it's not so bad, at least it means people are interested.

28-12-2004
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphelle
The hipsters were the beatniks, like Lena said. They were the writers like Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg, and the musicians like Charlie Parker and Miles Davis. They were really into being humble and mellow and looking for the 'real' stuff in life, instead of joining the rat race. Kind of like precursors to the hippies.

It's good to hear that Europe still has people like that, but in America the hipsters usually want to be hipsters because it's cool, and not because they are disturbed by society. Any trend is annoying, but this one is really sad because it is completely hypocritical of the original idea. But maybe it's not so bad, at least it means people are interested.
you're right that is where the term originated from...the beat generation. They were amazing and crazy and brilliant. Unfortunately, you're also right about it being an annoying trend. A lot of hipsters do not even know what the look came from and what the idea of it was supposed to be. It just became more popular recently to be a hipster. A lot of them are lazy and not so bright. The whole hipster thing is totally exploited in major cities in the US. I live in suburbs around Detroit so it is not that bad unless I go to a "hipster hangout" otherwise you don't really see many.

However I do not like all the generalization there is about what a hipster is. I mean if you like Joy Division or the Pixies a lot does that mean your a hipster in the negative sense that people give it? If you are trying to show who you are throught the way you dress and it comes off in the hipster category I don't think it makes you the kind of hipster that everyone dislikes. I agree with what was said about being able to pull of the look without trying too hard. I think if you really get it...the meaning of a hipster then you will have your own look and it won't look stupid, but if you are just doing it to follow a trend, then its not gonna work because you will just be wearing stereotypical hipster fashion without taking any risk and making it your own. But this really goes for any other style too.

28-12-2004
V.I.P.

How to
TEXTURE Boho intrepreted: anything frayed, fringed as if by accident such as clothing-giving the effect that you snagged it on something-a new sexy tousled look without going bridget bardot bed head or elvis bedroom eyes, shattered bangs, fur, scarves, and mascara on the bottom lashes give a fringed starry eyed look.
GRAPHICS Bauhaus meets Japanese pop: anything geometric-plaid, argyle, polka dots etc with candy colors-should rock the houndstooth more often (see below)
SHAPE dapper dapper: yves st laurent look alikes..tailored, tucked, starched and ironed (should be), as severe and narrow as humanely possible. Benefits: cutting through a crowded art opening makes the movement more knife like.

28-12-2004
V.I.P.

How Should
-bronzer on the cheekbones and nude face (esp. for boys)
-glossy lips (esp. for boys)
-plastic inserts in the collars for a even more severe look
-waaay more starch
-tripling the scarves and belts
-obligatory pants crease -gives a severe profile
-blushing eyes
-houndstooth!
-Nametags!!

28-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

strawbutterb...what are you doing ?...
you've posted this stuff twice now...and i didn't get it either time...

28-12-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbutterb
Bauhaus meets Japanese pop
Whatever this is, it sounds great..!

28-12-2004
V.I.P.

re
I am giving my interpretation of the defining characteristics of the hipster which also applies to the polaroidscene thread. And then I listed what characteristics I would like to see more of-but still keeping with the general hipster look. Detail is important in these matters..because its subtle..and of course very important to stay ahead of the trends

28-12-2004
V.I.P.

re
i am just having fun-i think its interesting esp. if you can break it down

28-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

ok...whatever floats your boat...

29-12-2004
front row

1. european hipsters are not like americans ones - at least the ones I know. most european hipsters I know are students or artists or have some art-related job/strong interests. Though they all dress similarly (converse high tops/ very worn puma sneakers,shoulder strap messenger bag etc) know their indierock/indie music scene, are usually very interested in modern art and literature and have a left wing political conviction. and um I myself fit pretty well into that descrpiton.(apart my weakness for elegant /vintage clothes)

us counterparts I met dress the same way just pay at least twice at much for it . many of them are really annoying, intolerant and ignorant and at the same time quite naive. but there are also 'serious' hipsters as well as there are superficial hipsters in europe.

2. like softgrey I think the main problem is the intolerant arrogant attitude about hipsters. so please stop bashing the way they dress and the music they listen to. I love my converse - they are the most comfortable shoes I ever owned, and if you don't know these indie-bands with strange names it ok, but if you don't know them please don't cal them crap. otherwise you are completly entiteled to your own opion.

3. yup, the orininal hipsters were such a bunch of great people. it's a shame that the term hipster is nowadays used in a such a negative way

Last edited by Lilliana; 29-12-2004 at 05:55 AM.
29-12-2004
windowshopping

Wow!!

it's amazing to think that the hipster word thingi traces back all the way to the beat generations poets!!!!!!

I think any succesfull subculture at some point will be exploited by media and companies and kids take after cool kids so that they explode from the obscure into mainstream just think of.....

the punks in the late 70's......

the mods in the late 60's.....

the hiphoppers in the late 80's..

ermm and any indiepopper walking into H & M say 2001 would get slightly annoyed and confused.

I read in a fashion mag last spring that the subculture number one trend for boys(spring 2004) was to look like THE CASUALS.
(lacoste and burberry scarfs, amazing cool sneakers. Brittish boys liking football and footballfights. Bad boys looking like nice boys so that the police wouldnt caught them.)

This subculture was kind of difficult because it it was so allready so well camoflaged, but that was also why it was one of the last of the older subcultures to get money out of.

ermm enough of that

anyway, I just like to say that, in all subcultures there is a heart, and around it it's a lot of LostWannaBeCoolKids who makes things difficult.

But then again I think everyone has the right to be what they want to be!
and that is the beauty of it, if i wanna be a punk or a hipster that's up to me
I still have the right to be jugded indevidually and not as member of a group!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hipster, wrong