How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

yay...nice to have someone as knowledgable as you to contribute to the discussion...
esp from the homme perspective...we have a lot of hep hommes around here...

no need to defer...respectful differences of opinions are welcome here...

glad you like it and hope you'll stick around...

ps...i agree about thelonius monk...very hep cat...
but who is peter wolf...?...was he in a band...?

29-12-2004
windowshopping

yeah, J. Geils. Do you remember them? Boston based, but with a cult following. Had some big hits. Early MTV. He wore tight fitted black jeans, black shoes and often Marseilles style horizontal striped shirts.

On the femme side, would you say Aimee Mann is hip? Or just a bit too much?

29-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

centerfold...sure i remember...i just wasn't sure if i was thinking of the same person you were...

i think aimee mann is just odd...she's her own category...for better or worse...
but hip really isn't used anymore...no one says that...

29-12-2004
windowshopping

Right! Centerfold! Couldn't think of the name. I do very much miss my New York life and knowing what's going on as you do. I have to keep it to the odd visit, one coming up, to see my mom and best friends, with whom I'm forced to yak with on the phone for 3 hours a day instead of going out with them. You know the funniest thing...I beat the draft by using family political connections to get a job teaching at Canarsie High School, an I just remembered that the girls in that school were some of the chicest dressers I knew. Weird. Of course, I was 22 and they were 18. Too dangerous. Those were the bell bottom days, the wide belts and high collars, and wiiiiide ties. Suit jacket lapels out to the house next door. And Studio, of course.

29-12-2004
flaunt the imperfection

well now you can hear all about what's going on in alll corners of the globe right here on tfs...

it's cool to hear from people all over...i love that...

29-12-2004
front row

haha. I had a housemate that was straight edge and vegan, drove one of those Honda Hybrids, and dressed kind of grungy. Met his mom and saw that he was from a rich family. at my old college, there were these hipsters and also hippies who all thought they knew everything. Drove me crazy.

29-12-2004
front row

Oh man I used be the co-ordinator of a a concert company, and I always dealt with hipsters who totally gave me attitude for the way that I dressed. And I wear alot of vintage, never head to toe, but 'nough of it, and was always like hey man I probably got my clothes the same places you got them, Goodwill, and Holt Renfrew.

01-01-2005
V.I.P.

A few "entertaining" definitions of hipster:

1-The defining attribute of a hipster lies in their disdain for others of their own kind.

2-The personification of insecurity, brattiness and bizarre sense of entitlement. :p
The prevalence of hipsters in a neighborhood is an indicator for gentrification.

3-the hipster mecca is in williamsburg brooklyn. it's a subculture of kids born in the 80's. it started with mutton chops & buddy holly glasses, but has now progressed progressed into trucker caps, pointy shoes, and the god awful rehash of the mullet.

typically, hipsters are "slumming it" on mommy & daddy's dime. a full blown hipster reduces himself by never wearing anti-perspirant & appearing to be poor. drink of choice is rheingold, or pabst blue ribbon beer.

4-The modern Bohemians. A mid-twenties person who works at a low paying job, is interested in "Artsy things" Hipsters tend to swarm around the determined "Hipster" part of town, ex. Wicker Park in Chicago. Hipster Ladies should have short hair and wear thrift shop clothes and Male Hipsters should be anemically skinny to let people know that they are poor and cant afford enough food.

5-someone, usually a teenager or 20something, who adheres to a counterculture ranging from indy-rockers to neo-hippies to skaters. they tend to define themselves by the music they listen to, and the outlandish clothes they wear. hipsters are opposed to other countercultures like goths, metal-heads, and gangstas, and they also avoid preps, eurotrash, white trash, and jocksquestion: why does he only listen to bands that are never played on the radio?
answer: he's a hipster

6-people in thier teens to 20s who generally listen to indie rock, hang out in coffee shops, shop at the thrift store and talk about things like books, music, films and art.

7-teenager to twenty something who like to hang out in local coffeehouses and art gallerys, and think they're better then everyone else because they're not mainstream. They like vintage clothing and anything that looks like it's been sitting in a closet for upward of twenty years.

8-Seattle-dwelling, emo-listening, black hair-dye using, counter-culture adhering socially infantalistic subgroup of individuals from the upper middle class who fiegn angst and a difficult life with a jaded facade of indifference. Fail to realize they are the most narrow minded people to walk this earth, next to the FCC.

9-n. someone who flaunts cigarettes.

10-lovely people who try to be different by listening to unique music and wearing obscure clothing usually found at a thrift store. they somehow pull of a in style look by wearing really old clothes they got for next to nothing. very artsy. obcessed with the past, and anything 'vintage'non-hipster: holy **** thats a cool shirt! can i get the exact same one at kohls for twenty bucks?
hipster: no, actually u cant. i got it at a thrift store in south west DC for two dollars. its twenty years old, so you probably cant find another one. ever. .......conformist

02-01-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkhuu
A few "entertaining" definitions of hipster:

10-lovely people who try to be different by listening to unique music and wearing obscure clothing usually found at a thrift store. they somehow pull of a in style look by wearing really old clothes they got for next to nothing. very artsy. obcessed with the past, and anything 'vintage'non-hipster: holy **** thats a cool shirt! can i get the exact same one at kohls for twenty bucks?
hipster: no, actually u cant. i got it at a thrift store in south west DC for two dollars. its twenty years old, so you probably cant find another one. ever. .......conformist
Hehe. I like this one a lot. I do fit into some of those though, but I would never classify myself as a Hipster. I do listen to some music no one has ever heard of and shop in vintage/thrift stores, but I guess I just don't and never will have the mindset... and that's A-OK.

02-01-2005
front row

what's eurotrash?
is hipster and bobo the same thing? At least here bobo is often used in a rather positive way but seems to be the same thing (indie, vintage, the strange glasses, artsy, upper middle class etc)

02-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection

bobo?...never heard of it...
eurotrash is a different kind of hipster...more specific...
more slimy than greasy...LOL...and i think even more revolting...
usually associated with an obnoxious display of wealth which they have done nothing to earn...with a superiority complex and that nauseating sense of entitlement that spoiled rich kids seem to all have... yuck!!

02-01-2005
V.I.P.

I think she meant boHo.

02-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection

are you sure?...i thought so at first too...but she typed it bobo twice...
i don't know...sorry...i thought it might be some other variation i hadn't heard of...

02-01-2005
backstage pass

Someone who professes a fervent belief in Communism or any other ideological left-wing doctorine, and listens to music on an iPod.

Charles Baudelaire
02-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey

are you sure?...i thought so at first too...but she typed it bobo twice...
i don't know...sorry...i thought it might be some other variation i hadn't heard of...
there are bobos- as in the book bobos in paradise. bourgeois bohemian.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hipster, wrong