How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-01-2005
chaos reigns

Hum ... I just noticed that a lot of my friends ARE hipsters ... lets see ... they're 20-something photographers, graphic designers, dj's, film createurs, plastic artists, a bit snobby, most of them have wealthy parents or an impressive last name ... hum ... am I one?

PS I cant be cuz I hate the scent of cannabis .. it makes me puke.

Last edited by ultramarine; 03-01-2005 at 08:30 PM. Reason: add info

03-01-2005
backstage pass

You cannot really tell if someone is a hipster in the negative sense until you actually know what their attitude is. Say you were walking down the street and you saw a skinny guy with a shaggy haircut wearing really tight jeans, converse, and a grungy retro t-shirt. You couldn't call him a hipster just b/c he was wearing that. Anyway I think that look is hot, but then again I don't live in NYC so that look hasn't been as exploited yet. ( And I bet NYC is overpopulated with them)

i agree that most people on this board use the hipster look to some degree. I definately do...I think a lot of more outrageous styles of dress are deemed hipster. And I don't think people on tfs would be here if they just wanted to dress totally mainstream. The fashion industry itself is somewhat of a subculture. For myself, I don't think it would be possible not to use elements of the hipster look

04-01-2005
PopWillEatItself

I would say that a hipster is something of a fashion victim... someone who emraces the music, fashion, art and the rest, just because they are fashionable and of the moment and not becuase s/he beleives in any of the ideas behind them... For example if mod culture is in fashion you will find him/her reading Keruack in a filthy coffee-shop smoking roll-ups.... but the minute this changes s/he will forget about it and embrace the next IT thing... if grunge is in fashion s/he will dress like Kurt Cobain and pretend that s/he is listening to his music and digging it... give him/her 3 months and s/he will think that Aguillera can be cool (if a "fashion bible" thinks so)... Punk was recently considered cool just becuase the world has dicovered viv westwood... but does anyone of thsoe who have adopted the punk-ish style of dressing or started listening to the punk music, really understands what this is about? and once this is out the fashion door will they keep listening to it or dress like this? of course not... they will move on to the next thing pronto regardless if they get anything at all about it... and this is why they turned the term "hipster" into something negative and ridiculous...

04-01-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

good one melt...i agree completley...well said...

04-01-2005
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxinthesnow
there are bobos- as in the book bobos in paradise. bourgeois bohemian.
Exactly what I meant (though I didn't read the book) Thanks for all the answers, I have now a very amusing little mental image what eurotrash is
I actually never use the term bobo and I always had the impression that it's an american thing, funny

05-01-2005
fashion icon

Oh man...after reading this thread I am becoming very scared and self conscious of turning into (or already being?) a hipster...then again, I admit that I don't know much about politics or indie music (indie music isn't even my thing), and I like to keep myself well groomed but I also favor that Dior Homme style softgrey described as kind of worn in and tattered but still expensive. I usually walk around without a smile on my face but that's not me trying to make any statement, I'm just a naturally moody person and sometimes I'm just angry at the world for no particular reason (genuinely angry though, not being angry to look cool)...this bothers me because I feel like I'm kind of walking on the line with no clear distinction and the more I read this I'm thinking some of this applies to me, and I don't like it!

05-01-2005
Soviet Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
Oh man...after reading this thread I am becoming very scared and self conscious of turning into (or already being?) a hipster...then again, I admit that I don't know much about politics or indie music (indie music isn't even my thing), and I like to keep myself well groomed but I also favor that Dior Homme style softgrey described as kind of worn in and tattered but still expensive. I usually walk around without a smile on my face but that's not me trying to make any statement, I'm just a naturally moody person and sometimes I'm just angry at the world for no particular reason (genuinely angry though, not being angry to look cool)...this bothers me because I feel like I'm kind of walking on the line with no clear distinction and the more I read this I'm thinking some of this applies to me, and I don't like it!
Well, if you're worried about it, you probably have nothing to worry about. I think self-examination is contraindicated in the poseur strain of hipsters.

Rebaptising my badness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade to Black
I admit that I don't know much about politics or indie music
Don't be fooled. Hipsters usually don't know about politics that much.

Last edited by Nemova; 05-01-2005 at 02:16 PM.
05-01-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melt977
I would say that a hipster is something of a fashion victim... someone who emraces the music, fashion, art and the rest, just because they are fashionable and of the moment and not becuase s/he beleives in any of the ideas behind them... For example if mod culture is in fashion you will find him/her reading Keruack in a filthy coffee-shop smoking roll-ups.... but the minute this changes s/he will forget about it and embrace the next IT thing... if grunge is in fashion s/he will dress like Kurt Cobain and pretend that s/he is listening to his music and digging it... give him/her 3 months and s/he will think that Aguillera can be cool (if a "fashion bible" thinks so)... Punk was recently considered cool just becuase the world has dicovered viv westwood... but does anyone of thsoe who have adopted the punk-ish style of dressing or started listening to the punk music, really understands what this is about? and once this is out the fashion door will they keep listening to it or dress like this? of course not... they will move on to the next thing pronto regardless if they get anything at all about it... and this is why they turned the term "hipster" into something negative and ridiculous...
Perfect

All these posts, and except this one I did not see a word "image" anywhere. And that's where the problem is with any such group. What makes hipsters worse, as opposed to a Paris Hilton loving teeny bopper, is that the image they are buying into is the one of depth, art, philosphy, and thought. And that is doubly worse than a dumb bimbo swining her LV bag on the streets of Soho on a Sunday afternoon. Same thing - both bought into an image. But at least the bimbo isn't pretending to be deep.

I've had my stage with the so-called "bohemia." Thank you very much, I'll pass. What attracted me is exactly the depth and thought and art that surrounded them - some played insturments, some sang, some wrote, some had interesting thoughts to share, some were eloquent speakers, some had charismatic personalities. But the longer I hung out in that environment the more I understood that most of these people are really just pretending to be something they're not. Most of them are just passing time, and they are just as clueless as your average reality TV viewer. Sad, but true.

06-01-2005
backstage pass

god these hipster "definitions" are such bs. most of my friends are hipsters and totally not like how everyone in this thread swears they are. and most of them don't come from money. and the whole "trying to wear scarves now" is funny. i don't know where they came up with htat one. looks more like those kids in manhattan who try to look "hip" if anything.

06-01-2005
V.I.P.

Those def were just a generalisation and an exageration of hipsters, not all hipsters look like that or act like that.

06-01-2005
backstage pass

Amen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkhuu
Those def were just a generalisation and an exageration of hipsters, not all hipsters look like that or act like that.
if there was a hand clapping smiley i'd put it!

06-01-2005
seagreen serenades

Quote:
Originally Posted by sybz
if there was a hand clapping smiley i'd put it!

See 'more' at the bottom of your current list...

06-01-2005
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry daiquiri

See 'more' at the bottom of your current list...
hahaha i knew i saw it here before. there it is. thank you.

06-01-2005
V.I.P.

When I first saw this thread I was wondering, what the hell can so many people be saying about hipster jeans?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hipster, wrong