How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-08-2011
backstage pass

I love skinny jeans on men! Well, not on all men but that goes for women too.. If you have a slender body then a dark-washed pair of skinny jeans should be included in your closet regardless of your gender. There is also the age factor (thinking of Danny DeVito in It's always sunny in Philadelphia, haha) to consider, I'm fine as long as my man steers far away from anything that's bleached and boot-cut . I also prefer the skinny-jeans to be styled more "rock" than "hipster" but that's just my taste .

Last edited by MimiV; 25-08-2011 at 07:50 PM. Reason: spelling error :S

25-08-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
i'm frustrated lately with the flimsiness of the denim on the market. i wear jeans all the time and have many older pairs from lucky brand, acne and superfine that were medium weight denim and really NICE. the only way i can find a jean with some weight to it now is to spend a small fortune on either junya denim or rick owens. the selvedge is my favorite and so hard to find in the us.
you are 100% right, i was at the Gap a few days looking around and i was scoffing at how lightweight their jeans are.

but come to think of it, i havent seen any medium weight jeans at saks or barneys lately either.

front row

I love light denim! R13 has the best denim, it's super light, like a second skin. The heaviest denim I have is by PRPS...I love their styles to death but I can never wear them comfortably! They're so rigid!

26-08-2011
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucy92 View Post
you are 100% right, i was at the Gap a few days looking around and i was scoffing at how lightweight their jeans are.

but come to think of it, i havent seen any medium weight jeans at saks or barneys lately either.
I think this has something to do with the increased cost of materials...cotton in particular, which, depending on what articles you read are going up 10 - 30% in price. I was reading this on yahoo news several days ago: http://www.newsobserver.com/2011/08/...-up-their.html

It basically says that retailers are trying to to hide the increase in cost by keeping clothing prices the same while giving you less for the money. For jeans, in particular, there's this snippet from that article:

Quote:
Teen retailer Abercrombie & Fitch is advertising "Redesigned 2012" jean collection in its stores and on its website, touting that the jeans are "softer, with the perfect amount of stretch." They're also mostly priced $78 to $88, about $10 more than last year, according to Jennifer Black, who heads up research firm Jennifer Black & Associates.

Sozzi, the Wall Street Strategies retail analyst, examined the jeans and believes they are "thinner" and of "cheaper quality." That extra stretch, he says, simply could mean the retailer is saving costs by using less denim.
I like heavier weight denim myself - preferably more on the rigid side. It helps hold me in.

...Sift all together twice
05-01-2013
backstage pass

I really need to go shopping for some new jeans.

I have only three pairs of jeans in my closet. One is really old, but holding up well. Another is getting old and I think I start to see holes coming. The third, I bought recently from Diesel because it was the least low-rise of them all and had a decent length inside leg (I'm short). However, after a few wears and washes it now sags and looks really unflattering. They were expensive, too.

Can anyone help me find what I'm looking for? I have a kind of a long check-list and am really struggling simply to find jeans that are NOT low-rise and affordable...
- Can be bought internationally. Either the store it's available in has shops in Taiwan, or I can buy it from a website that ships here.
- EUR75/USD100 and under. I don't have much money to spend and would like a few pairs.
- Mid-rise. Stopping somewhere around 2 inches below the belly button, sitting on high hips. It's the most flattering for me.
- Skinny (preferred), or straight.
- Inside leg of 30", but I'd settle for 32".
- Variety of colours available.
- Small/short back pockets. (Not as important, but really does wonders for my bum.)

front row

i'm really happy with these Current/Elliott high rise skinny jeans. they're not as thick as my old standard (Acne Hex) but they have a similar if a little more flattering of cut. I'll probably just buy 4 pairs of the same.

08-01-2013
windowshopping

My best pairs of jeans were a pair of black skinny jeans for $30 (or $10 on sale hehe) from Glassons. They're comfortable and unlike most skinny jeans, are actually skinny on me.

V.I.P.

A pair of very dark, almost black, navy blue J brand skinny jeans, I got on sale for $60 at a vintage/consignment store called Wasteland here in San Francisco, they are perfect and not too stretchy (which i despise) and not too stiff and itchy. They are perfect because they are really long which when you're 6'1" with a 35" inseam helps a lot. And they aren't too tight around the ankles which I find slenderizes the calves more. I finally understand the hype around J brand jeans.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
jeans