How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-09-2004
desire, undefined

ok, at school i have to write an essay with the headline "american vs. european" and as i decided to write about fashion and style i thought i would get some opinions and help from my tfs gurus and i think it as well would be an interesting topic to discuss.

what i need to include would be the differences between not only design and designers but mainly how people in general dress themselves. all opinions are welcome! thanks in advance for your help

12-09-2004
Naturellement pulpeuse

I'm saying nothing for fear of being beaten up by all the Americans on this forum

It might be worth noting in your essay that Fifth Avenue relied on France for it's creative input up until the Sixties when America developed it's own 'designers' as opposed to people who simply copied clothes.

It may also be worth noting that 'sportswear' - the real driving force behind street fashion these days is an American invention primarily. (sportwear does not mean clothes for sport, BTW )

V.I.P.

americans have bad style in generall, we need to face this important issue as a country

V.I.P.

I don't think Americans have bad taste, they're just practical while Europeans seem to be more concerned about their clothes.

my view at least

Naturellement pulpeuse

Quote:
Originally posted by MulletProof@Sep 12 2004, 03:31 PM
I don't think Americans have bad taste, they're just practical while Europeans seem to be more concerned about their clothes.

my view at least
[snapback]364989[/snapback]
I'm sure that anyone who's seen the Italian police in Rome would agree. Would you catch an American policeman in skin-tight blood striped trousers, latest designer shades and cap at jaunty angle leaning against his gleaming black Alfa Romeo?

You might even say that Europe has more posers...

backstage pass

I don't know much about European fashion, but as a whole I think Americans are far too concerned with whats hip and in as opposed to what looks good on them and is stylish. We also tend to base everything recently on what stars have. Its very much a sign of wealth and status. When I was in Europe I don't recall seeing this. Clothes were much more practical and I didn't really notice any obvious trends. I may be very mistaken though as I went 3 years ago...

Good luck with your assignment

12-09-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Sep 12 2004, 04:36 PM
I'm sure that anyone who's seen the Italian police in Rome would agree. Would you catch an American policeman in skin-tight blood striped trousers, latest designer shades and cap at jaunty angle leaning against his gleaming black Alfa Romeo?
[snapback]364993[/snapback]

Naturellement pulpeuse

I forgot to add - tight leather gloves, always - even in the Italian summer heat.

desire, undefined

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Sep 12 2004, 03:36 PM
i'm SO going to use this sentence in the essay. wow!

backstage pass

98% of americans DO have bad style. its because we are a mish-mosh pot of a country and have no clear heritage. it seems the only symbols of dress we have to guide us are the early hollywood starlets. everyone today just follows tacky celebrity trends in the belief that they look fashionable. europeans have a legacy of classic style and taste to fall back on. their mothers dressed well, so their daughters dressed well, and so on.

12-09-2004
etre soi-meme

there is good style and bad style wherever one is ..
there are some europeans with terrible style, some Americans with good style, i think trying to generalise and divide people and cultures is not taking us anywhere.

we live in a 'global community' that is we share global media and products (labels, celebrities, movies, tv shows) so the gap is less evident than it was some years ago.. i'd say unite the people in style

and good luck with this essay

12-09-2004
V.I.P.

Lena is Jesus

Swim Upstream

I think Lena certainly had a point and indeed wouldn't it be great to live in a world where everyone aspired to those values which Lena is applauding in her post, i.e non-devisive & non-marginalising. However without cultural differences the world would be a very dull place with little variety. what i would rather say is that we should celebrate our cultural differences rather than ignoring them. Thats why I think that there is merit in discussing the differences between european and american style - as I am convinced there are differences which, in my opinion are primarily based upon cultural differences. Arguably it is crutial in acceptance of those differences that we really understand what the cultural or social difference beween peoples is.

13-09-2004
front row

Americans are just to damn concerned with what they're wearing as opposed to how they're wearing it

13-09-2004
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaim45@Sep 13 2004, 02:41 PM
Americans are just to damn concerned with what they're wearing as opposed to how they're wearing it

[snapback]365983[/snapback]
that is a very good point.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
american, european, style