How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

17-05-2007
windowshopping

Appropriate attire for a Ballet??
i'm not sure if this is the right forum listing to post my question, but here goes! i'm going to a ballet at The Met performed by the ABT, Romeo and Juliet, soon and I was wondering...
is there some sort of dress code i should be aware of?
what exactly do you wear to a ballet?? long dress or short cocktail dress? is a long dress too formal, or is it actually the standard?

any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
thanks in advance!!

17-05-2007
trendsetter

Ooh, have fun! I often go to the ballet and opera. Nobody wears long evening dresses unless you have special seats to a Gala. The dressiest you can go (if you like) without feeling out of place, is a simple cocktail dress, especially if you have a "good" seat. Don't be surprised to see people in jeans though, especially if you're sitting in the nose-bleed section up high filled with students and artists. Usually, being overdressed sort of screams "I don't come here often"...no offense at all.

I enjoy dressing up for the opera, but in a subtle way...tailored trousers with a flowy top and a clutch, for example.

Hope that helps!

17-05-2007
backstage pass

One of my personal beliefs is you can never be too dressy.

Is this an evening performance or a daytime performance? I just saw Tchaikovsky's The Sleeping Beauty about a month ago and it was a matinee performance. So I toned it down slightly. I wore a white cardigan, black white and gold striped skirt, jacks and carried my pashmina. I also wore pearl studs and a pearl necklace. There were a lot of little girls in princess dresses there too

If you're going to an evening performance, I would suggest the always in style LBD (little black dress) and a simple pearl set. Maybe black pumps or nice sandals. That way, you're not overdressed but you're still dressed up. A summer dress with a shawl or cardigan would be nice too.

Have fun!

17-05-2007
V.I.P.

unfortuneatly, the attire for the ballet is more and more casual.

i actually went to romeo and juliet last week and wore

[vogue.co.uk]
pants like this, that doo ri for gap short sleeve shirt and loafers.

just wear whatever you like, but i would say cocktail dress over long. besides the weather in new york right now is so hot and depending where your seats are that's a lot of extra fabric to haul around. make sure what you wear doesn't distract you from enjoying it!

17-05-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt. View Post
unfortuneatly, the attire for the ballet is more and more casual.

i actually went to romeo and juliet last week and wore

[vogue.co.uk]
pants like this, that doo ri for gap short sleeve shirt and loafers.

just wear whatever you like, but i would say cocktail dress over long. besides the weather in new york right now is so hot and depending where your seats are that's a lot of extra fabric to haul around. make sure what you wear doesn't distract you from enjoying it!
hahah, before i scrolled down all the way, all i saw was the sentence,
"i went to romeo and juliet last week and wore... {BALENCIAGA picture}".
i was like damn, i wish i could afford that balenciaga outfit, i'd wear it too -- i'd probably wear it everyday for that matter (even catwalking around my house)
and then i scrolled all the way down and realized haha.

17-05-2007
Press escape to continue.

Is it a matinée or evening performance?

windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefrancofille View Post
One of my personal beliefs is you can never be too dressy.

Is this an evening performance or a daytime performance? I just saw Tchaikovsky's The Sleeping Beauty about a month ago and it was a matinee performance. So I toned it down slightly. I wore a white cardigan, black white and gold striped skirt, jacks and carried my pashmina. I also wore pearl studs and a pearl necklace. There were a lot of little girls in princess dresses there too

If you're going to an evening performance, I would suggest the always in style LBD (little black dress) and a simple pearl set. Maybe black pumps or nice sandals. That way, you're not overdressed but you're still dressed up. A summer dress with a shawl or cardigan would be nice too.

Have fun!
how was the sleeping beauty?? i was debating on whether or not to get tickets for sleeping beauty or romeo and juliet. and i chose the latter because i'm a sucker for shakespeare!

thanks everyone for your input!!!
im going to an evening showing of it in June, probably going to wear a cocktail dress with flat sandals (to dress it down) or go with the classic LBD bc my closet is full of black dresses.

17-05-2007
windowshopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomethingElse View Post
Is it a matinée or evening performance?
evening

17-05-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechanel View Post
how was the sleeping beauty?? i was debating on whether or not to get tickets for sleeping beauty or romeo and juliet. and i chose the latter because i'm a sucker for shakespeare!

thanks everyone for your input!!!
im going to an evening showing of it in June, probably going to wear a cocktail dress with flat sandals (to dress it down) or go with the classic LBD bc my closet is full of black dresses.
It was really good! The girl who danced as Aurora was amazing. She was on pointe the entire show. The music was very romantic and enchanting. Romeo and Juliet would probably be nice, too. You can't go wrong with either choice.

17-05-2007
Press escape to continue.

Because you will be sitting down during the performance, you might consider wearing a long light silk jacket. You can take it off when you're seated so it doesn't get wrinkled and slip it on when you get up. If your dress is a bit rumpled from sitting, no one will ever know!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
attire, ballet