How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Style Spot / Personal Style
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-08-2006
V.I.P.

three examples of layering i absolutely LOVE:
-poet sleeves under skinny sleeves
-bustiers over t-shirts (or sweaters....as suggested by a few designers)
-multiple scarves
i'm a scarf freak, so i can't wait to do that one...

*one example of layering i don't like is hoodie under jacket. bleh..

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."

06-08-2006
flaunt the imperfection

i can't wait for some cooler temperatures so we can pile on the layers again!!!... ...

06-08-2006
V.I.P.

I layer all the time. In the winter it's critical because of indoor/outdoor climate change but it even during other season's its an integral part of how I dress myself. Usually the bottom is pretty basic, jeans or narrow leg pants. a cami, or halter top can stack on top of each other or with a t over them. but my favorite is to put two t shirts over each other the bottom one longer than the top. I dont really like the tank over the t look its just too young for me. any kind of cardi looks great over a bunch of stacked t's and sometimes I tuck in the front of the cardi to my jeans. I also like to throw a crew or v-neck sweater over a simple dress. Winter, well that's the most fun to layer and play. always wear cotton turtlenecks or cew neck cotton t's under everything. then its usually sweaters over sweaters and play with weight and texture. over it all sometimes i usually throw on a scarf or collar which are my favorite acessories other than shoes and boots. oh, i even layer my socks with pumps or boots over jeans and long knitted socks poking out if it feels right. mind you, none of this is done so its too much or it looks to contrived, its just meant to be functional and comfortable. the thing is I don't do huge contrast. I like warm colors with warm and cool with cooler. black is a staple but I like ivory better than bright whites. subtle colors can get alot out of a bright burst of color if it's in the same family. I deal with alot of color being an art director and so much of layering that works well is based on colors working together, you know it when you see it.

Last edited by luckyme; 06-08-2006 at 08:06 AM.
06-08-2006
V.I.P.

^I think so too. Sometimes I can't wear certain colours together because it's too much attention, so I just put something dull between them, like grey, so it kind of softens it

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
i can't wait for some cooler temperatures so we can pile on the layers again!!!... ...
me too! Even now I still wear long-sleeves sometimes; and I also like to wear my little sister's sweaters under layers sometimes, so that I can have those 3/4 quarter-length sleeve that I see on mostly girl clothes ^^

06-08-2006
elementary.

summer dressing gets tired after a while ;]

V.I.P.

Damn...I layer my way through the summer anyways....just use thinner layers that's all........

No stupid Earth star is gonna stop me from layering!

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
06-08-2006
V.I.P.

susie, I layer all year too, colder weather just makes it more interesting with textures and I like the colors better. BTW, I love your blog, read it daily.

18-09-2006
flaunt the imperfection

Layer up and play the coolest game
(Filed: 23/08/2006)

Mixing and matching different fabrics and colours is the big trend for autumn, says Clare Coulson. But you can't be slapdash about it

In pictures: how to layer

Layering is one of autumn's most significant trends - and one of the hardest to perfect. Naturally, designers made it seem oh-so-easy on the catwalks, but for anyone who is not dressed by a team of stylists, it is a daunting look to pull off.

Marc Jacobs's interpretation was the most extreme. He piled dresses over polo-neck sweaters and long skirts over slouchy trousers and leggings; long cardigans over finer cardigans and slinky blouses; layered tunics with skirts and leggings. Although it might sound as if the models were over-dressed, they looked über-cool in a grungey way.

Marc Jacobs autumn/winter 2006/7: extreme
The layering at the Chloé and Hermès shows was more realistic. At the former, the look was lighter and more feminine, with tunic dresses worn over skirts and organza blouses or dresses teamed with trousers. While at the latter, Jean Paul Gaultier executed it in the Parisian house's ultimate-luxury style and the effect was very chic. A slinky black silk dress was worn with a fine charcoal cashmere polo neck and tailored trousers, topped with a black jacket and scarf. Gaultier also layered fine-knit cardigans and V-neck sweaters in contrasting colours, sometimes cinching them with a tan leather belt.

Layering may not be the simplest or quickest way to get dressed, but right now it is the most cool. It may sound haphazard, but in fact it is a very considered style. You can't just throw multiple layers on in the morning and assume that they will work. To get it right, you have to think about colour and texture. Layering works best with similarly toned pieces, particularly this season's greys and earthy neutrals. Finer fabrics such as jersey and light cashmeres are the easiest to layer and their contrasting textures enhance the effect.

It is tempting to see the trend as a convenient way to cover up lumps and bumps, but be careful not to exaggerate flaws rather than conceal them. This is best achieved by keeping layers fine. Sometimes, giving the layers some definition by belting the waist can make all the difference. Labels such as Velvet and Los Angeles-based T-shirt brands such as Splendid and C&C California all do soft, fine jersey tops, which are perfect for wearing underneath sleeveless tops or cardigans.

American Apparel (www.americanapparel.net) is another great source of fine jersey in myriad colours and Joseph, Rick Owens and Jigsaw are all good destinations for gauzy, fine knits, which work well too.

Layering also makes other trends more accessible. If you love autumn's sweater dresses, for instance, but don't want to bare your legs, then layer one over a pair of trousers.

The same applies to this autumn's fabulous tunic dresses and pinafores, which can also be paired with blouses and trousers.

telegraph.co.uk

18-09-2006
scenester

do you have any pictures of the shows you talked about above..id love to see them

18-09-2006
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastry
three examples of layering i absolutely LOVE:
-poet sleeves under skinny sleeves
-bustiers over t-shirts (or sweaters....as suggested by a few designers)
-multiple scarves
i'm a scarf freak, so i can't wait to do that one...

*one example of layering i don't like is hoodie under jacket. bleh..
The idea of layer scarves sound very very fun, but I can't think of how, please please give examples? Anyone?

unknown
18-09-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
do you have any pictures of the shows you talked about above..id love to see them
We sure do!! We're the fashion spot after all

You should check out the Designer & Collections forum. You'll find all the f/w shows of those mentioned there by using the search feature

Have the journalists been lurking here again???
We sure do make their lives easy :p

Thanks for the article Soft

19-09-2006
backstage pass

I love the layering look! Marc Jacobs imo does it so well, I want everything in his new collection. btw I'm actually liking the look of wearing socks over opaque tights with boots. & just curious, do you think legwarmers are still considered a fashion faux paux? They actually look pretty cute in these pics:

&

pics from shopbop.com

esp over tights, if you can't tell i'm obessed with tights!

Last edited by missbliss; 19-09-2006 at 05:42 AM.
19-09-2006
leave me with your Borneo

^^the tights underneath the legwarmers make everything look more sleek and pulled together. i think they look really cute!

flaunt the imperfection

definitely seeing girls wearing legwarmers for the past week since it's gotten chillier...and looking quite cute too!!

not sure what the age cut off is on that though...:p
it's a lot easier to be 'trendy' and 'experimental' when you're young...
plus you have the excuse of youth...

23-09-2006
rising star

whenever i layer clothes i look fat and im a size 10.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
art, layering